Was slavery the cause of racism?

• 59 results
transcendence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Did racism have any influence or impact on slavery or is it the other way around?

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 137

Other way around obviously

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By comicace3

Racism is the belief of being superior to another ethnicity. I don't believe slavery was the main cause of racism. People often used slaves for manual labor and in places like Africa slaves often were treated with respect.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Racism is behind EVERYTHING!

Avatar image for doctor_wheatley
Doctor_Wheatley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vice versa.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

What about the Irish slave trade? Race wasn't the cause of the Irish being put into slavery by the English. Race can be the cause of slavery, but honestly slavery can be caused by many things, not just racism. Back in Ancient Greece, the Greeks would conquer other civilizations and force those people to be their slaves.. Same with Rome, etc., etc. I think the African slave trade started when the English began colonization in Africa and began forcing the natives of the lands into slavery, seeing them as being more technologically behind, but I'm sure the fact they weren't white played a bigger role.

So, in conclusion, no slavery didn't start racism, and no, racism didn't start slavery. But as said before, it was a cause.

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Other way around.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@transcendence: Slavery did not cause racism, because slavery was not founded in racial origins, but economic. The Roman Empire had an institution of slavery, but it had nothing to do with race: because various different races were enslaved.

transcendence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

@transcendence: Slavery did not cause racism, because slavery was not founded in racial origins, but economic. The Roman Empire had an institution of slavery, but it had nothing to do with race: because various different races were enslaved.

So, it's the other way around?

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#11 frozen  Moderator
ShaoKahn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Racism rules

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope.

Beata

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

Precisely.

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Roman slavery was not racist

American slavery toward afro-american was racism.

Avatar image for redbird3rdboywonder
redbird3rdboywonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rascism is caused by ignorance and fear of people different than one's self. It's sad but it's true, on tv there have been many instances where a symbolism of rascism has been shown, one of the ones that caught me by surprise when I thought about it was in Ben 10 in regards to the High-breed thinking there were better than everyone else

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sophia89 said:

@frozen said:

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think racism causes slavery or vice versa. I think historically they are separate though slavery may have created a cultural form of racism to be accepted in the us due to the stereotype that goes along with being a slave and thus beneath non slaves. Slavery itself obviously goes back to ancient Egypt and probably Sumerian times and had more to do with the spoils of war than racism along with what is acceptable within a culture as in Egypt where citizens were required to do something like 7 years of slavery if they were part of the lower caste.

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Racism has nothing to do with slavery.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

People are dumb.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Superguy1591

No, Religion-->racism-->greed/capitalism-->slavery-->a new version of racism.

Europeans were plenty racist before they got slaves. They thought Africans and Native Americans were savages because they didn't cover themselves(mostly due to the heat in Africa and Virginia, Hispaniola) and believe in Jesus.

After Slavery, though, came a new form a racism backed by pseudo-science to justify slavery. Africans were "sub-humans" and it was lucky for them that the Europeans were keeping them as slaves or they would die out, despite the fact that Africans are the earliest human beings on Earth and had survived living in Africa for 15,000 years.

KingVenus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope just ignorance...

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By dshipp17

@transcendence said:

Did racism have any influence or impact on slavery or is it the other way around?

No, slavery was usually the byproduct of war; this was the case in Rome in the 1st century; relatively recently, the concept of racism was born; slavery was than used to establish racial superiority and as one justification for slavery; slavery was used by Africans on other Africans, so racism couldn't not have originally been a factor in slavery; Israelites enslaved Egyptians and Egyptians later enslaved Israelites; the Egyptians probably enslaved the Israelites first. A good question is how exactly did slavery get associated with racism? Racism seems like something relatively recent in human history.

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Superguy1591

@biteme_fanboy: Irish people weren't considered white, that's why. People think white means Caucasian, but it doesn't--white implies a domination. Take Indians for instance: Indians are Caucasians, as are most people in the Middle East--including Arabs, Persians and many more--but they're not considered "white."

When Japan defeated Russia in the Russo-Japanese war, the Japanese were deemed honorary "whites" because of their ability to dominate and colonize by Theodore Rooservelt. That's also why Japan was able to allign with German as an Axis power--Hitler viewed the Japanese as honorary white for their ability to dominate as well.

The English viewed the Irish as beneath them because they were catholic(religion) and treated them as beneath them. The Irish were even called the n-words of Europe because the British dehumanized them so much.

I agree though: it depends on which type of slavery you mean. Slavery has existed since humans invented civilizations, but Slave trade was a product of religion and racism,

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By dshipp17

@superguy1591 said:

@biteme_fanboy: Irish people weren't considered white, that's why. People think white means Caucasian, but it doesn't--white implies a domination. Take Indians for instance: Indians are Caucasians, as are most people in the Middle East--including Arabs, Persians and many more--but they're not considered "white."

When Japan defeated Russia in the Russo-Japanese war, the Japanese were deemed honorary "whites" because of their ability to dominate and colonize by Theodore Rooservelt. That's also why Japan was able to allign with German as an Axis power--Hitler viewed the Japanese as honorary white for their ability to dominate as well.

The English viewed the Irish as beneath them because they were catholic(religion) and treated them as beneath them. The Irish were even called the n-words of Europe because the British dehumanized them so much.

I agree though: it depends on which type of slavery you mean. Slavery has existed since humans invented civilizations, but Slave trade was a product of religion and racism,

There was no connection whatsoever between the Europeans being Christians and slavery. There is a connection between Islam and slavery. Europeans believing in their racial supremacy was the only connection to slavery; that they were Christian had no connection to their belief in their racial supremacy.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Superguy1591

@dshipp17: They're similar religions. Both religions are pro-slavery, unless it was happening to God's chosen people--the Jews in Christianity and other Muslims in Islam.m

Slavery in the American South was deemed justifiable through the bible.

However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

The term "heathens" was used on Native Americans before Europeans headed to Africa when the Natives kept dying from the European dieases. Christianty has a dark past that Christians dont like to talk about, but they love to wave a finger in Muslims' faces.

mikex20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Racism and slavery have nothing to do with each other. There's a lot of racism in America toward people with Middle East ancestry, and they were never slaves here.

Avatar image for stardustcrusader
StardustCrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Move of a product of it actually.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Superguy1591

@dshipp17: oh, and I forgot the ol' "black people should be slaves because they are the descendants of Ham and God cursed them with 'the mark of the beast' to be slaves to the children of his brother(who would be white people)"

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DBVSE7

"Racism has nothing to do in slavery." LMAO.. no seriously, what? I think a history lesson is needed here XD.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Racism was around well before racial slavery became prominent.

Avatar image for amalgamdcmarvel8
AmalgamDCMarvel8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the first Racism was Egypt. Do due to In slaving Jews/Hebrews. If I'm wrong. Then tell me please.

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Chimeroid  Online

well, racism in America was partly caused by slavery since they got used to seeing slaves do they work and feared them for potential rebellions and they thought their kids to hate and be afraid of their slaves which in return made the kids teach their kids to hate them etc...

AmalgamDCMarvel8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well, racism in America was partly caused by slavery since they got used to seeing slaves do they work and feared them for potential rebellions and they thought their kids to hate and be afraid of their slaves which in return made the kids teach their kids to hate them etc...

European Kingoms, Roman Empire and Egyptian Empire were also afraid of their Slaves rebellion. It isn't just American. Look now. ISIS is trying to get the human race back into slaves. It's our duty to stop any more Racism making Empire. Cause I think if ISIS is the next Empire. I think Anti-Christ will come.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17: They're similar religions. Both religions are pro-slavery, unless it was happening to God's chosen people--the Jews in Christianity and other Muslims in Islam.m

Slavery in the American South was deemed justifiable through the bible.

However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

The term "heathens" was used on Native Americans before Europeans headed to Africa when the Natives kept dying from the European dieases. Christianty has a dark past that Christians dont like to talk about, but they love to wave a finger in Muslims' faces.

I made the mistake of substituting the concepts of racism and racially driven slavery with slavery, when I was referring to Christian Europeans enslaving groups.

@dshipp17: oh, and I forgot the ol' "black people should be slaves because they are the descendants of Ham and God cursed them with 'the mark of the beast' to be slaves to the children of his brother(who would be white people)"

The Christian attempt to include Old Testament doctrine into Christianity does not mean that slavery comes from Christianity itself, especially racially driven slavery; when Christianity expanding during its first 400 years, leading up to the formation of Islam, there was no slave component to Christianity, especially race driven slavery.

By the time of United States colonization, racially driven slavery was ingrained in European culture; however, racially driven slavery is not the product of Christianity itself, so that's why slavery eventually died out in the United States. Racists groups like the KKK than points to a separate religion that was manufactured from some Biblical passages as the main root of racially driven slavery.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shootingnova said:

I think the first Racism was Egypt. Do due to In slaving Jews/Hebrews. If I'm wrong. Then tell me please.

You're correct; the Egyptian slavery of the Jews was racially motivated.

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope

AmalgamDCMarvel8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17 said:

@amalgamdcmarvel8 said:

@shootingnova said:

That was after Joseph dough.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17 said:

@amalgamdcmarvel8 said:

@shootingnova said:

There is no actual proof that the Jews/Hebrews were ever actually slaves in Egypt though. Nothing against Jewish people or people who want to believe in the Bible but there simply is no proof that such a thing should be considered actual history. The Egyptians already had a system of slavery before that which used their own people to build things.

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Racism caused slavery.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Spambot

Let's also not forget that women have been used as sex slaves for thousands of years and still are around the world which has nothing to do with racism.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The other way around seems more likely...