Was Skyrim overrated?

Pfcoolio14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I know a couple of you are gonna hate me but I don't think Skyrim deserved all the hype it got. It was hardly revolutionary and it's main selling pointwas dragons.

I didn't feel invested emotionally invested in the characters that were there and the story didn't make me invested either. The characters felt chalky and wooden. All the dungeons looked the same to me. It wasn't that hard to find the same voice actor multiple times within an area. Half of the time during combat I didn't feel like I was making actual contact with the opponent until maybe a random finisher. Other times it felt like I was hitting air. The dragons AI was pretty bad. Inencountered multiple glitches. Sure, the world was expansive, but it felt bland and like I was walking over the same place every 2 minutes. Some of the magic felt useless. I enjoyed other games much better like Far cry 3 etc. That's just my opinion. I had more problems, but I'm on mobile so I can't type them all now.

mikethekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got hundreds of playing hours out of it so as far I'm concerned it was worth every penny I paid for it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Yes.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@mikethekiller said:

I got hundreds of playing hours out of it so as far I'm concerned it was worth every penny I paid for it.

I have to say the same. Over a hundred hours on 360 and 70+ hours on PC.

I agree I got this game when I was 14 and I swear almost all my memories from that year are Skyrim related.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Bruxae

Epic action or a deep storyline was never the point of skyrim or any other elder scrolls game for that matter, while it is certainly a bonus the real selling point of said game is your complete freedom and immersive ability. Its not for everyone - god knowns ive had my issues getting into the series but once you do I have to say its definetly not overrated, you most likely just have to look at it a different way or perhaps the type of game is simply not for you.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7 JediXMan  Moderator

Eh. I mean, I still play it, but it gets tedious after awhile. It was a lot more fun when the world was mysterious. But most caves / dungeons look the same after awhile.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

This. I'm a big fan of open-world games, and love the Fallout series as well. It's biggest downfall, to me, was after so many hours playing dungeons and terrain get repetitive. But that is to be expected since the tombs represent the Nordic culture and history. I still enjoy it though, especially playing different characters with different personalities and skill sets.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@pfcoolio14 said:

I know a couple of you are gonna hate me but I don't think Skyrim deserved all the hype it got. It was hardly revolutionary and it's main selling pointwas dragons.

I didn't feel invested emotionally invested in the characters that were there and the story didn't make me invested either. The characters felt chalky and wooden. All the dungeons looked the same to me. It wasn't that hard to find the same voice actor multiple times within an area. Half of the time during combat I didn't feel like I was making actual contact with the opponent until maybe a random finisher. Other times it felt like I was hitting air. The dragons AI was pretty bad. Inencountered multiple glitches. Sure, the world was expansive, but it felt bland and like I was walking over the same place every 2 minutes. Some of the magic felt useless. I enjoyed other games much better like Far cry 3 etc. That's just my opinion. I had more problems, but I'm on mobile so I can't type them all now.

As has been said, I've had hundreds of hours of play time out of it. I've made an uncountable number of characters and the DLCs were all successful expansions to the game.

I thought some of the characters were great, namely: The Daedric Princes, Paarthurnax and the Greybeards, Ulfric and Tulius, Jarl Balgruuf and basically most of the important people in Whiterun, ALDUIN. I'll give you one thing; the "Blades" did suck, which sucked since they played such a huge role in the main quest. Regardless, there were plenty of memorable characters.

Yeah, the dungeons did get similar at parts but they all had pretty different layouts, save for the final rooms which were awfully similar. Besides that, there are the various caves, houses/buildings/underground hideouts, dwarven ruins and much more there to be explored. Besides, cut the game creators some slack, not every dungeon is going to be completely unique, but they did a good enough job making them all seem unique. Besides, there is that much going on in the game some things will have to be similar. And it wouldn't make sense to drastically change the layout of every nordic crypt or dwarven ruin; they're supposed to keep with the design that those civilizations built for them.

Yeah, there's plenty of games that have duplicate voice actors for NPCs..

Yeah the combat isn't perfect. It's not meant to be. It's an open world game full of different stuff to interact with.. they simply don't have the tech to make a game as big as Skyrim as smooth as Assassins Creed. It's the other stuff that makes up for it. Besides, the combat was smooth enough and offered plenty of different variations, such as dual wielding, back stabbing, using a sword and shield, bow and arrow, magic... hell you could go shield mage if you wanted.

The Dragons were as good as they could be, and at that, were sufficiently fun to fight.

Yeah, they patched most glitches anyway. It's going to happen in a game that big no matter what.

Are you kidding? You felt like you were walking over the same place every two minutes? Odds are you were far too lazy to even immerse yourself and were walking over the same places. Theres a big mix of different dungeons and otherthise enterable places to go, as well as varying weathers and landscapes, and different towns to go to with their own questlines to explore. You're just talking crap about the game for no reason there.

The only magic that could be considered useless is maybe telekinesis or water breathing, and even then, they're kind of cool to have. Don't see your complaints on magic. They have tons of options for using magic as well as different builds to base around certain magics.

You have more problems? Oh dear lord what is wrong with you. It's a good game. You're playing it wrong. Maybe your controller is upside down I dunno.

Avatar image for the_legendary_supersaiyan_hulk
The_Legendary_SuperSaiyan_Hulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skyrim wasn't overrated, then it took an arrow to the knee.

wario1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not even close.

CHUCKY47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LaserLambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The combat isn't great, and after a while the gameplay just devolves into walk to where the arrow is telling you and then go where the next arrow is telling you.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ssejllenrad

Not really. But every single Elder Scrolls outing since Morrowind was a step down from that peak of the series IMO.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

KingOfAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KingOfAsh

Atmosphere

Strongarm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The mods are fun in pc version

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I understand why some people would call it overrated and it gets boring after a few minutes or the plot isn't very compelling to begin with. On the other hand, I consider its quite the opposite, Skyrim, like the rest of the Elder Scrolls games, features a huge amount of backstory and world-building that is ignored by gamers at large and appreciate it a lot, being a fantasy fan in general. I mean, how many people bring up those hundreds of books you pick up along the way? That is some insane amount of effort put into it.

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

You could always amp it with mods if our bored on pc, just to Spice stuff up. I say it was a worthy sequel.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman: I agree. I played to a point where I beat the game, the Companians quests and thieves guild. After exploring the map, I did the obvious mass murder, then stopped playing. I returned and did the mage's quests and Dark Brotherhood, then spent some time dressed as a Greek hoplite with a round shield and Imperial sword. It's really fun at first, but does get pretty repetitive. Then again, it's probably the best game to roleplay in when you're really bored. The sequel needs grand cities and wars.

Uncanny_Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Not at all.

I notice when things get so popular, some people just want to bring it down in spite of it's success. A game getting acclaim doesn't mean you have to like it, but you should be bale to understand that nine times out of ten, it deserves it's praise. Skyrim isn't an exception.

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I like Oblivion more ^-^

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dabee

No, it was awesome. There was just so much stuff amazing diverse to do, then the DLC added even more amazing diverse stuff to do. Then there are the mods, so it's pretty much unlimited in that aspect. It was graphically beautiful, to top it all off. So no, I personally don't think it was overrated.

EDIT: Holy crap, that was my 1000th post. That was pretty anticlimactic, but whatever.

Avatar image for anywhichwaybutup
AnyWhichWayButUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What games don't seem to run on after a while? I thought Skyrim was a great video game, the voice actor numbers have nearly doubled in the Elder Scrolls and they had quite a few people work on the dungeons as to the last ones when they had a couple of guys making the dungeons and like 10 people voice acting so they've really improved. Skyrim becomes ''easy and repetitive'' because you're the dragonborn. For those who don't know they're born to rule and be basically gods, so that makes complete sense. There's a lot of story behind it but you have to do work by finding the books and talking to everyone you see, but it pieces together well. The characters are pretty chalky but wouldn't you be too if there was a civil war going on and oh I don't know a massive invasion of house sized dragons wanting to kill everyone and DEVOUR THE PLANET? They're chalky because they've basically lost hope in everything and that's why you're there: To become an icon. I felt the DLC's make up for this with the whole Serana relationship thing. Then Mirrak's story is pretty interesting once you really get into the research, not to mention my level 183 character had some, SOME difficulty on Legendary. The kids thing is an ehhhh but it's not awful. I've made almost 20 accounts and I enjoyed them all. Each race opens up different dialogue so shoot for it. I guarantee no ones done every mission even after this near 3 year cycle it's been in.

BadVoodoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BadVoodoo

@dragonborn_ct said:

I understand why some people would call it overrated and it gets boring after a few minutes or the plot isn't very compelling to begin with. On the other hand, I consider its quite the opposite, Skyrim, like the rest of the Elder Scrolls games, features a huge amount of backstory and world-building that is ignored by gamers at large and appreciate it a lot, being a fantasy fan in general. I mean, how many people bring up those hundreds of books you pick up along the way? That is some insane amount of effort put into it.

You know 25% of those books where from the Oblivion right? Plans of Oblivion being one of them. Also those tons of lore doesn't really add to the extremely disappointing ending and poor writing / dialog. For example Sapphire tells you she was gang raped for no reason what so ever, its extremely awkward and bad imo. I also hate how TES claims that you can do anything you want yet you can't side with the world destroyer or join the Dominion. Its extremely hard to be a villain in Skyrim, besides joining the Dark Brotherhood which isn't really much.

TES was a good game thats worth your buck, but its annoying how the fanboys keep trying to claim its an epic tale and true Rpg... Skyrim is a hiking simulator with alot of quest in it.

Loading Video...

Personally i would love a Bethesda / Obsidian hybred RPG. Obsidian in charge of the quest / dialog while Bethesda are inchage of the map, enemies and skills.

BadVoodoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The characters are pretty chalky but wouldn't you be too if there was a civil war going on and oh I don't know a massive invasion of house sized dragons wanting to kill everyone and DEVOUR THE PLANET? They're chalky because they've basically lost hope in everything and that's why you're there:

No dude thats bad writing. And the Devour of the planet didn't seem like a big deal to be honest. I mean what did he do? Just send dragon everywhere? I never took Alduin seriously, he was just another end of the world bad guy. Lifeless and empty.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Nope, I love that game

Avatar image for anywhichwaybutup
AnyWhichWayButUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AnyWhichWayButUp

@badvoodoo: It's better to think of the history of dragons more then what had happened in Skyrim's era. Alduin nearly destroyed man before the dragonborn had come along. I think the ''What does he do send some dragons'' is understandable but remember you're slaying them left and right so there isn't time for him to raise his army again. His purpose is somewhat lame though. The big thing about Skyrim that I hated was you can't become emperor or even jarl, even though all these books say that you're meant to rule.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Nah it was a legit game that deserved its praise.

KingOfAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. I thought the story and characters where solid, the music was amazingly composed (not as good as Oblivion or Morrowinds soundtracks though), the atmosphere was amazing and in general was a great time. I did spend 273 hours playing though (don't judge me) so I may be biased there. That's more time on one play through than any other game by about 170 hours. Few other games have had me caught up so much