#1 Edited by DoomGuy (772 posts) - - Show Bio

Now please avoid debating the confederate flag, causes of the war, slavery, etc.

This question is simple. Jonah Hex sports his confederate uniform he wore during the Civil War. Many people fought for the South to protect their homeland from Northern invaders, and some fought for slavery.

Now has it ever been stated why Jonah Hex joined the Confederates, and why he still wears his uniform?

#2 Posted by MaccyD (4163 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably due to pride of his homeland. Basically patriotism, same as Cap wearing the US flag, though he mightn't agree with everything the US does.

#3 Posted by PowerHerc (84331 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd bet he is.

#4 Edited by DoomGuy (772 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd bet he is.

Maybe in the New 52. I read quite a lot of his 2008 ongoing and in what issue called '7 Graves Six Feet Deep' it states he wears the uniform shamefully, and as a symbol of how ignorant he was to join the ranks of the army who was fighting to preserve slavery. Which is f*ckin' retarded. I was really upset when I read that comic.

#5 Posted by PowerHerc (84331 posts) - - Show Bio

@doomguy said:

@powerherc said:

I'd bet he is.

Maybe in the New 52. I read quite a lot of his 2008 ongoing and in what issue called '7 Graves Six Feet Deep' it states he wears the uniform shamefully, and as a symbol of how ignorant he was to join the ranks of the army who was fighting to preserve slavery. Which is f*ckin' retarded. I was really upset when I read that comic.

It sounds like the writer was applying his own modern sensibilities, regarding the Civil War, to Jonah Hex. Doing so probably made him feel good but it certainly does come off as "f*ckin' retarded."

#6 Posted by DoomGuy (772 posts) - - Show Bio

@doomguy said:

@powerherc said:

I'd bet he is.

It sounds like the writer was applying his own modern sensibilities, regarding the Civil War, to Jonah Hex. Doing so probably made him feel good but it certainly does come off as "f*ckin' retarded."

Lol. Guess I could have worded that better.

Well in some stories it does say when Jonah Hex found out that the CSA was fighting to preserve slavery he marched to a Union fortress and turned himself in.. The Union officers tried to get him to tell them the location of his regiment, but he refused.. but they figured out anyway where his regiment was and arrested them all.. Which made his former comrades think he was a traitor to the CSA. Well, when Hex found out the fate of his former friends he broke them out of jail, but all of them were shot up by the Union army with a gatling gun (I think?)..

I like to think he wears his uniform always as a way of regretting turning on his friends and pretty much being the cause of their arrest and death. sort of a way of honoring them.

But, if it's the latter, out of shame of ever serving for the Confederacy and so that when people see him wearing it they 'hate' him or think badly of him, isn't a real good reason.. The whole fact of Jonah joining the Confederacy while being oblivious to their so cause reason of fighting the war is stupid to. I know he was living with the Apache's for a long time, but come on...

#7 Edited by DoomGuy (772 posts) - - Show Bio

@powerherc:

Well, then some stories seem to ignore Jonah turning himself in, and he is instead captured while attacking a Union fort, tortured, tied to a X and sent floating down the river.. some of the disfiguring of his face caused by the beating from a whip by his Union captors..

I like that story better, haha. Unless both happened. I'll have to find the comic in which he turns himself in to the Union.

#8 Posted by PowerHerc (84331 posts) - - Show Bio

@doomguy said:

@powerherc:

Well, then some stories seem to ignore Jonah turning himself in, and he is instead captured while attacking a Union fort, tortured, tied to a X and sent floating down the river.. some of the disfiguring of his face caused by the beating from a whip by his Union captors..

I like that story better, haha. Unless both happened. I'll have to find the comic in which he turns himself in to the Union.

Let me know if you find it. I'd like to read that one.

#9 Edited by DoomGuy (772 posts) - - Show Bio

@powerherc:

The comics where he is captured by the Union soldiers and tortured is issue 13 of v2 series

I have yet to find the ones where he turns himself in.

EDIT: Found it. Jonah Hex v.1 issue 35

#10 Posted by PowerHerc (84331 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Posted by Bushwhacker_ (576 posts) - - Show Bio

In volume 1 #35, after Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation, Jonah indeed decided to quit fighting for the South and turned himself in to Yankee troops at Ft. Charlotte, which led to the entire 7th Light Cavalry that Jonah served for to get captured and ending up getting killed, when the Union troops tricked Jonah into releasing his former regiment members. The reason in doing this was to have an excuse to kill all the rebel troops.

But sometime after the Ft. Charlotte massacre Jonah Hex rejoined the ranks of the Confederacy. A few weeks after General Lee surrendered to General Grant at Appomatox Courthouse, Jonah and his ragtag group of rebels surrendered to Union troops. Volume 1 #30

So apparently after the Ft. Charlotte Massacre Jonah obviously decided to rejoin the Confederacy and continue fighting. Maybe because he felt like the Ft. Charlotte Massacre was his fault? But, I'm sure he wears his uniform still because of the massacre.. That's my opinion anyways.

#12 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (33608 posts) - - Show Bio

@doomguy: I have to ask, have you read any pre-N52 Hex?

@doomguy said:

@powerherc said:

I'd bet he is.

Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti wrote that, they basically defined who Jonah Hex is in modern comics.

#13 Posted by PowerHerc (84331 posts) - - Show Bio

@powerherc said:

@doomguy said:

@powerherc said:

I'd bet he is.

Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti wrote that, they basically defined who Jonah Hex is in modern comics.

Sure, but defining a Hex for modern times is essentially redefining him and thus changing the character to suit modern sensibilities.

#14 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33608 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous said:

@powerherc said:

@doomguy said:

@powerherc said:

I'd bet he is.

Sure, but defining a Hex for modern times is essentially redefining him and thus changing the character to suit modern sensibilities.

Not really, Gray and Palmiotti have been writing Hex almost non-stop since 2005 and if you go back and read the older stuff Hex doesn't really have much of a personalty but what is there is pretty seamless with how G & P have been writing him.

#15 Posted by PowerHerc (84331 posts) - - Show Bio

@powerherc said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@powerherc said:

@doomguy said:

@powerherc said:

I'd bet he is.

Not really, Gray and Palmiotti have been writing Hex almost non-stop since 2005 and if you go back and read the older stuff Hex doesn't really have much of a personalty but what is there is pretty seamless with how G & P have been writing him.

Opinions do vary but I've read Jonah Hex on and off since the early '80s and basing what a character that old is all about almost exclusively what has been written since 2005 doesn't really paint an accurate picture of that character.