Wait My Computer did what!!! (Computer Advice and help)

• 79 results
CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By CATPANEXE

@gravitypress: clean as a whistle, but I didn't use compressed air (have some and will actually do that anyways), rather I went the detailed take forever route. I know I can replace it physically, but I want to avoid if I can. Also I'm mindful of the fact that it worked, then semi-works without showing any signs of change physically (this heavily indicates a virtual error occurred at some point to me, but where?)

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#52  Edited By Saren

@Final Arrow: I have an extensive collection of movies, and I placed each file in a separate folder. In each folder I added the movie's poster and named it "folder.jpg" so that it would appear as the image preview for the folder.

However, this morning when I opened the external hard drive that the movies are stored on, I got this:

http://i43.tinypic.com/9sv6uw.png

In addition, on all my drives, the images look like this.

http://i43.tinypic.com/263c9pc.png

I tried using my external hard drive on another computer, and I could see the posters and images just as they were before, so the problem is confined to one computer as far as I can tell. Can anyone tell me what's going on and what I should do about it?

Avatar image for magneticshockwave
MagneticShockwave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@CitizenBane: You must of recently preformed a deep cleaning of your computer. The Internal HDD keeps thumbnails, but if you do a deep cleaning, it will erase those thumbnails. In order to get it back (BC External HDD doesn't have registry let alone a CPU to take thumbnail snap shots) is to move your folder back into the Internal HDD into your computer. View the folder and files so that the CPU can register the thumbnails and snap shot the thumbnails into the internal drive and then move the folder back inside of the External HDD. 

Now, view the folder again and see if that helps.
Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Saren

@MagneticShockwave: I tried that and it didn't work. The problem isn't confined to my external HDD, my C and D drives have the same issue.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#55  Edited By jhazzroucher

@Final Arrow: can you give me a proxy site? at least 2? cos where i work, i can't access this site and other sites too. so maybe you can give me one that's gonna work.

gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By gravitypress

@CitizenBane: Have you tried this icon at the top of your screen?

No Caption Provided
Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Saren

@gravitypress said:

@CitizenBane: Have you tried this icon at the top of your screen?

No Caption Provided

Tried that, still doesn't work even though the files are inside.

Final Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#58  Edited By Final Arrow
@CitizenBane: Sounds to me like you have changed a setting in custom view, in windows  explorer go to view and can you tell me what settings you have it at? and we will see where we can go from there. If you don't have view (You should) then I can tell you how to get it. 

@jhazzroucher: Hi, I don't think a proxy is going to work I actually think they may have a porxy server set up blocking certain sites, there is away around this by installing firefox onto a usb drive, If you need me to explain the steps to do this let me know. 

@CATPANEXE: Hey man, have you tried to uninstall the drive physical and once it's been removed, uninstall the drivers and any registry entries  and restart the computer Without the drive, let it all load up and just check that it is not picking up the CD/DVD Drive on Device managers don't just check on My Computer. If it is still there we have missed something, now if it is clear then place the drive back in the computer making sure to plug everything in and is in secure. Now restart the system again and do the install process and try.
Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Saren

@Final Arrow: Do you mean this?

No Caption Provided
CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By CATPANEXE

@Final Arrow: I can give that a shot. It's going to take a bit of toying around, this things mounted right into the chassis with no panel for it, so I'll have to drill the whole thing apart. But it's a fairly costly unit to replace the specific one so that's worth my time to do. Thanks, I'll get back with whatever the results are (in bed with the flu right now so probably not going to go into the workshop for a day or two at any rate.)

Final Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Final Arrow
@CitizenBane: No but we can try something in there later if needed, there should be just a view title which gives us a drop down on how your system is laid out, what to do is tick the always show menus options in the picture you just showed and you should be able to see it, change the view settings when you go back into explorer and see if you get the result you want, e.g. change it from one and back to the other to give it a little reset. Also if that does not work go back into the properties you just posted and tick the Always show Icons button and not thumbnails and then apply, go into the folder and bring it up again, then repeat this step to give it another type of reset on the view and let me know. 
Final Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Final Arrow
@CATPANEXE said:

@Final Arrow: I can give that a shot. It's going to take a bit of toying around, this things mounted right into the chassis with no panel for it, so I'll have to drill the whole thing apart. But it's a fairly costly unit to replace the specific one so that's worth my time to do. Thanks, I'll get back with whatever the results are (in bed with the flu right now so probably not going to go into the workshop for a day or two at any rate.)

you can just unplug the cables at the back, and leave them unplugged rather then removing the whole thing . Hope you get better man.
Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Saren

@Final Arrow: Tried all that, it still doesn't display

Final Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Final Arrow
@CitizenBane: Okay have you installed any photo software recently? Can you make sure that   windows Photo Viewer is set as the default program with all it's associations set?

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Saren
Final Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Final Arrow
@CitizenBane: Are all the  associations set? the only thing I can think off after this is to do a system restore, this will only do change settings on the computer and not affect the files. But we have a few more things to try before that.
(((Prodigy)))

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By (((Prodigy)))

i accidentally system 32

Final Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Final Arrow
@(((Prodigy))) said:
i accidentally system 32
Deleted system 32 ???
ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#69  Edited By ReVamp

@Final Arrow: What's the easiest way to learn how to build a computer :P.

Final Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Final Arrow

@ReVamp: Pay me to show you :p

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By ReVamp

@Final Arrow said:

@ReVamp: Pay me to show you :p

Ah, I see. Well, I can mail you monopoly money. You'll have to pay shipping though.

Final Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Final Arrow

@ReVamp: It's okay I know where you live.......

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By ReVamp

@Final Arrow said:

@ReVamp: It's okay I know where you live.......

Oh really? Then have fun swimming here.

(((Prodigy)))

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By (((Prodigy)))
@Final Arrow said:
@(((Prodigy))) said:
i accidentally system 32
Deleted system 32 ???
Just kidding :)
Final Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Final Arrow

@(((Prodigy))) said:

@Final Arrow said:
@(((Prodigy))) said:
i accidentally system 32
Deleted system 32 ???
Just kidding :)

Thank god my heart stopped beating for a moment.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#76  Edited By The Impersonator

@Billy Batson said:

How do I turn the computer on?

BB

lol.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Saren

@Final Arrow: All the associations are set, and when I go to System Restore it tells me that there are no available Restore Points. What's the other stuff to try?

Btw thanks for taking the time for this.

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By CATPANEXE

@Final Arrow: normally I know my way around a pc, but this ones a bit of new territory to me and I'm lost. I opened up the underside panel (pictured, sorry about the glare, any lower setting on my camera shadowed everything out) and am seeing a cable that branches off in two directions and pins in from there. At any angle its not visible where this cable goes or if its the power/mother for the DVDRW, though it has proximity to the back end off the drive. Nothing can be seen nor reached by ejecting the drive itself either. Just getting confirmation, I don't want to render this thing inert, nor make a presumptuous call while fevered and out of sorts. Thank you still much for your assistance and time.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#79  Edited By SC  Moderator

Eek is this thread still in use, because I so like need help and I suck with computers? Would be so so so grateful!!  

About two days ago the delete button on my computer failed. I really really need that button, so... what could it be? My delete button and my command button both don't work - but command button doesn't work only when in use with the V button. Which is short hand for paste? Both V and command work on their own? My other short hands work as well? Is this my computer? Keypad? Or the connection thing? Anyway I can tell or?  

**looks around lost and confused**  

Final Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Final Arrow

@SC:Mac Or PC? OS?

Is this only in word or is it using other program too...e.g. if you hit back space does that work? Check to see if it work by opening IE and going to a page then press the back space to go back a page!! then we will know if the problem is software related.

If that does not work then try this go to control Panel, and double-click on Keyboard. Go to the Hardware tab and click on properties. Go to the Driver tab and click on uninstall. Follow the instructions to uninstall. After the uninstallation, in the Control Panel, double-click on Add Hardware. Click next, and choose the option "Yes, I have already connected the hardware". Find the keyboard in the list and install.

Final Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Final Arrow

@SC: smacks head you said command button!!

your on a mac aren't you

Try this

try creating a test user on your system login it and see if the keyboard commands work. Most likely they will work in the other user. If they dont than i would suggest backing up your data and doing an erase and install.

If they do work than you are going to want to go back to your user and remove a couple pref files

try these first

finder>your user> library> preferences > com.apple.universalaccess.plist and

finder>your user> library> preferences > com.apple.systempreferences.plist

drag to desktop and than restart computer. Login and test again

Fingers crossed.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#82  Edited By SC  Moderator
@Final Arrow:  Okay, its a Mac - I think OS **feels dumb** lol  - it says Mac OS X in info tab. 

This is in all my applications. Safari, Finder, Art applications. Text applications. Do you know what Keyboard Viewer is? When I was looking for answers online, I managed to find that, and I can use that to delete, but when I press my delete button, nothing is highlighted (but all other buttons highlight - except again if I use "command" in combination with "V" 

I will go and do the uninstall and install thing now? 

(Thank you so very much again)