• 149 results
#1 Posted by ArtGamer (1262 posts) - - Show Bio

#2 Posted by ArtGamer (1262 posts) - - Show Bio

you know comics books are good, but you read books? and if is a yes, what is your favorite book??

#3 Posted by Owie (3741 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. I like to mix fiction and nonfiction. Biographies, Tolkien, Neal Stephenson, Douglas Hofstadter, science, stuff about systems, philosophy, David Rakoff (RIP), David Sedaris, art, Stanislaw Lem, Delillo, Jon Ronson, Samuel Beckett, Borges, Chabon, Dostoyevsky, David Foster Wallace, Thomas Pynchon.

#4 Posted by Samimista (20717 posts) - - Show Bio

When I was younger I loved to read books. Now I mostly read comics and manga.

#5 Posted by ragdollpurps (15572 posts) - - Show Bio

@Samimista said:

When I was younger I loved to read books. Now I mostly read comics and manga.

#6 Posted by YoungJustice (6841 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. I have read all of Rick Riordan and Jeff Kinney's books.

#7 Posted by utotheg38 (18883 posts) - - Show Bio

>__________________________>

#8 Posted by ArtGamer (1262 posts) - - Show Bio

@Owie said:

Yes. I like to mix fiction and nonfiction. Biographies, Tolkien, Neal Stephenson, Douglas Hofstadter, science, stuff about systems, philosophy, David Rakoff (RIP), David Sedaris, art, Stanislaw Lem, Delillo, Jon Ronson, Samuel Beckett, Borges, Chabon, Dostoyevsky, David Foster Wallace, Thomas Pynchon.

oh my...a lot :O

systems? maybe you are a systems engineer fellow?

#9 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7818 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm trying to get into it more, recently read Do Andriods Dream of Electric Sheep & The Time Machine, now on a history of Video Art.

#10 Posted by CrimsonCake (2677 posts) - - Show Bio

Most of the books I read involve theoretical physics.

#11 Posted by The Stegman (24388 posts) - - Show Bio

To be honest...no not much. And I know it sounds bad, but if it's not a comic book, it just losses my attention, I haven't been able to sit down and read a book for more than 30 minutes since the final Harry Potter book came out.

#12 Posted by cyberninja (10413 posts) - - Show Bio

So let me get this straight, you're asking nerds in a comic book forum if they read books? ummm ok?

#13 Edited by dccomicsrule2011 (24859 posts) - - Show Bio

Yep I read all kinds of books. Novels, science etc.

#14 Posted by The_Thunderer (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

I read

#15 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4248 posts) - - Show Bio

Mainly philosophy and science-fiction

@Omega Ray Jay said:

I'm trying to get into it more, recently read Do Andriods Dream of Electric Sheep & The Time Machine, now on a history of Video Art.

As someone who has read everything PKD they can get their hands on let me tell you...while Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is great IMO it's one of his weaker books I would strongly recommend The Man in the High Castle, The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch , or Valis.

#16 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20247 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah I read books.

Comic books.

*trollface*

But in all seriousness I read books sometimes. It really depends if I get engaged in the story or not, and I'll read the book for hours. If the story is not that good I'll read it a bit but I won't exactly be interested in it and won't read much.

"Be water my friend"

#17 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4732 posts) - - Show Bio

I used to read a lot of Orson Scott Card, Ben Bova, Timothy Zahn, Kurt Vonnegut, Harry Turtledove, John Irving, Ayn Rand and all that. A few philosophy, religion and sociology books. Ender's Game got me through childhood.

#18 Posted by TERMINATORXX (3899 posts) - - Show Bio

Sometimes.

I mainly watch movies...

#19 Posted by Owie (3741 posts) - - Show Bio

@ArtGamer said:

@Owie said:

oh my...a lot :O

systems? maybe you are a systems engineer fellow?

No, I'm not an engineer. I'm just interested in systems. How the real world is organized, and how our understanding of the world is governed by our own systems of perception and conception, etc. Especially emergent systems, which is the study of how very simple rules can create extremely complex behavior, it's very cool stuff. It's related to everything from flocks of birds to the actions of computer animated armies in movies to the way our brain creates thought.

#20 Posted by Necrotic_Lycanthrope (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

Used to get 20 books at a time from the library, before they restricted me to 3 books of a certain type or author. I still read teen novels (that are interesting, but most suck), Stephen King books numbering close two 2 thousand pages, anthologies and science books about astronomy and paleontology.

#21 Posted by JediXMan (30608 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course. I read books all the time.

Moderator Online
#22 Posted by JediXMan (30608 posts) - - Show Bio

@Necrotic_Lycanthrope said:

Used to get 20 books at a time from the library, before they restricted me to 3 books of a certain type or author.

Man. That is such an absurd rule. I'd be screwed if that happened to me. I usually have around 20-30 things out at a time from my library (mostly books and GNs, but sometimes some DVDs)

Moderator Online
#23 Posted by k4tzm4n (44234 posts) - - Show Bio

Currently reading Starship Troopers.

Just very, verrrrrrrry slowly.

Staff
#24 Posted by Katie24 (488 posts) - - Show Bio

My favorite book is Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. I'm currently reading How to Rock Your Baby by Erin Bried, it a parenting book.

#25 Posted by jwalser3 (5022 posts) - - Show Bio

Just Started the Star Wars X-Wing Rouge Squadron series. Pretty good :)

#26 Posted by Necrotic_Lycanthrope (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan:

Man I was peeved to all Hell when I was told I couldn't get my bi-weekly stack of science books. Now I bypass it by just randomly grabbing any book that looks promising from the info on the back or the sleeve. But then it means that it's almost impossible for me to get a good load. Only once I had it great; every other time was meh.

I need a new library, lol.

#27 Posted by WillPayton (9455 posts) - - Show Bio

Love a good sci-fi book, although I dont have that much time to read these days. Hell, I have a stack of comics and trades sitting there waiting to be read.

I highly recommend Roger Zelazny, if you like sci-fi mixed with some fantasy. Lord of Light and the Amber series are great, check them out.

If you like hard sci-fi, check out James Hogan. Inherit the Stars is really good, and there's a whole series that follows it if you like it and want to read more.

#28 Edited by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

The last book I read was the hunger games which was 3 months ago. I should read more books.I was at the library and I was gonna get a YA book but somebody took it >.<.

#29 Edited by _Zombie_ (10443 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. Just started the A Song of Fire and Ice series, in fact. I can't say that I have a favorite book, but I will say that my favorite novelist is Michael Crichton.

#30 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

Does anybody here read 1000 words per minute? I can't

#31 Posted by JonSmith (3996 posts) - - Show Bio

You came to a comic book website and ask if anyone reads books?!

#32 Posted by ShootingNova (17143 posts) - - Show Bio

Well of course I read books. I'm pretty much a book addict.

@moywar700 said:

Does anybody here read 1000 words per minute? I can't

I can read really fast, but I don't know about that. Probably not. 800 words per minute, roughly. Or something...... I don't know. :)

#33 Posted by Strider92 (16462 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure do. Don't really have a favorite book though. I liked the Night Angel trilogy.

#34 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, mostly Sci-Fi and Fantasy.

As for my favourite book, I can't decide between Dune and Lord of the Rings

#35 Posted by umbrafeline (5300 posts) - - Show Bio

im reading 'tales of the arabian nights'

#36 Posted by jonEsherfey (443 posts) - - Show Bio

I just finished the book Zeitoun but my favorite book is either Wiseguys by Nicholas Pillegi which is what the movie Goodfellas was based on or the book Fight Club.

#37 Posted by ArtGamer (1262 posts) - - Show Bio

@cyberninja said:

So let me get this straight, you're asking nerds in a comic book forum if they read books? ummm ok?

this is a stereotype, you maybe can like the comic books and no the books, some people get bored of just read and read, in the comics you have the pictures and less words

#38 Posted by Aiden Cross (15569 posts) - - Show Bio

I do. But mostly multiple books at the 'same' time, i can't just focus on one book, i need to alternate between them. Currently i'm reading The Road by Cormack Mccarthy and a Song About Fire and Ice. And occasionally the Hunger Games because i'll be killed by my niece if i dont..

#39 Posted by ArtGamer (1262 posts) - - Show Bio

@Aiden Cross: i tried to read multiple books at the same time and never remember anything about the books, is hard (at least for me)

#40 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7818 posts) - - Show Bio

@DoomDoomDoom said:

Mainly philosophy and science-fiction

@Omega Ray Jay said:

As someone who has read everything PKD they can get their hands on let me tell you...while Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is great IMO it's one of his weaker books I would strongly recommend The Man in the High Castle, The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch , or Valis.

Thanks, Want to read some more of his stuff. I'll look into those.

#41 Posted by TinyGrenade (24 posts) - - Show Bio

Favorites are, in no particular order, The Alchemist, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, A Game of Thrones, and the Mars trilogy.

#42 Posted by Liara (421 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course. and I would read even more, if I had more free time.

#43 Posted by TheSmallvillefan12 (186 posts) - - Show Bio

I love to read. Currently reading throught George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice And Fire series. Used to read alot of Star Wars books.

#44 Posted by ArtGamer (1262 posts) - - Show Bio

@Liara said:

Of course. and I would read even more, if I had more free time.

i share your pain... i need a day with more than 24 hours

#45 Posted by BatWatch (2724 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm always "reading" an audio book. I go through about one a week. I always have some hard copy books around too, but I probably only read a hard copy book about once every six weeks. Depends on what is happening in my life and how much time I have to read.

I try to have an open mind and try lots of different genres. I usually the the USA today top 150 list and start going down the list until I find something in the library. Recently, I've read Star Wars Allies and Pendragon: Soldiers of Halla. I'm currently reading The Best of Me by Nicolas Sparks. All three books are good.@TinyGrenade said:

Favorites are, in no particular order, The Alchemist, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, A Game of Thrones, and the Mars trilogy.

Loved Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but I felt The Alchemist was a bit overrated. It was okay, but nothing great in my book.

@TheSmallvillefan12 said:

I love to read. Currently reading throught George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice And Fire series. Used to read alot of Star Wars books.

I love post-Return of the Jedi Star Wars books. I read them all the time when I was in high school, but I got to the point that I had read almost all that had come out, so I stopped reading for awhile. I just picked it back up the other day after nearly a ten year hiatus, and I love it.

#46 Posted by TheSmallvillefan12 (186 posts) - - Show Bio

@PsychoKnights said:

I'm always "reading" an audio book. I go through about one a week. I always have some hard copy books around too, but I probably only read a hard copy book about once every six weeks. Depends on what is happening in my life and how much time I have to read.

I try to have an open mind and try lots of different genres. I usually the the USA today top 150 list and start going down the list until I find something in the library. Recently, I've read Star Wars Allies and Pendragon: Soldiers of Halla. I'm currently reading The Best of Me by Nicolas Sparks. All three books are good.@TinyGrenade said:

Loved Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, but I felt The Alchemist was a bit overrated. It was okay, but nothing great in my book.

I love post-Return of the Jedi Star Wars books. I read them all the time when I was in high school, but I got to the point that I had read almost all that had come out, so I stopped reading for awhile. I just picked it back up the other day after nearly a ten year hiatus, and I love it.

Star Wars: Legacy of the Force is my favorite book series ever and takes place years after Return of the Jedi.

#47 Posted by BatWatch (2724 posts) - - Show Bio

@PsychoKnights said:

Star Wars: Legacy of the Force is my favorite book series ever and takes place years after Return of the Jedi.

Is Legacy where Jacen goes bad? When I stopped reading, The New Jedi Order was about a third of the way through its arc. The random novel I picked up the other day was Allies, a series in what I believe is the latest series. It seems to focus on Luke and Ben setting out on a quest, and the Galactic Alliance turning against the Jedi.

#48 Posted by TheSmallvillefan12 (186 posts) - - Show Bio

@PsychoKnights said:

@PsychoKnights said:

Is Legacy where Jacen goes bad? When I stopped reading, The New Jedi Order was about a third of the way through its arc. The random novel I picked up the other day was Allies, a series in what I believe is the latest series. It seems to focus on Luke and Ben setting out on a quest, and the Galactic Alliance turning against the Jedi.

Yes, Legacy is where Jacen turns into Darth Caedus and Allies is part of the Fate of the Jedi series that focuses one Luke and Ben after Legacy. Haven't read to much of the Fate of the Jedi series except Allies though.

#49 Edited by RedQueen (1171 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a bibliophile...I read obsessively. Anything at all. Reading Stacy Schiff's "Cleopatra", "Red Dragon" and "The Great Gatsby", and" A Clash of Kings" at the moment.

As for my favourite, I really have no idea. I guess a draw of Lord of the Rings, The Hunger Games, A Song of Ice and Fire and any of the classics. Seriously no idea.

#50 Posted by The Poet (8336 posts) - - Show Bio

I just got back from volunteering at my public library...DO I READ BOOKS??!! *chuckles* DO I EVER!

:D

I read mysteries, adventures, classics, fantasy, etc. Pretty much anything good. I supose I read novels more than I read comics...