#1 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18076 posts) - - Show Bio

Next up on my Villainous Villains segment is the cold character and Batman villain Mr Freeze.

Mr Freeze is one of Batmans more successful and well known newer rouges (by newer I mean from the 90s onwards) Well essentially Mr Freeze appeared long before then.He first appeared much earlier and was called Mr Zero,he was one of the "joke villains" among others such as Killer Moth.He later appeared in the 60s Batman TV series under the name of Mr Freeze,he was still a far stretch away from the Mr Freeze we all know.And I mean just try to imagine if we would never of got that wonderfully done episode in the animated series.He would probably just be non existent in comics today or would just be another Killer Moth (who I also wish would of got the ret con Freeze did)

^ Look no teapot this time and no elf suit,he looks much "cooler".It was in that episode in which he was very well and very appropriately re imagined.After the episode aired he was appropriately resurrected in the comics.

His new character made him unique to Batmans other villains.Unlike others he wasn't psychotic or deranged he didn't have an obsession or fixation with Batman and he had motivations that where not really for himself .I suppose he was a victim more than anything.Not just a victim of an accident that made it so he had to live inside a specially made cyro suit but was also a victim of something we all dont like the thought of loneliness.

And he is a character I can emphasize with just as I am sure other people can as well.And it makes you wonder what lengths would you be willing to go to save someone you love.And the fact you can empathise with him to an extent does not make him any less interesting as a character,and it does make him unique amongst Batmans rouges.

The best Batman villains are often considered to be that if they mirror the Dark Knights characteristic's in some way.And I have heard some people assert that Mr Freeze does not.But I dont think that could be any further from the truth.He mirrors him in a variety of ways.First off Freezes origin is tragic and he is a victim of misfortune in a similar way Batman was,both in different ways yes but the similarities are still there both lost loved ones,and changed as a result of it.I suppose another one would be loneliness and not been able to connect with anyone,both in different ways perhaps but both are still there and are in part a result of their tragic origins.

Freezes appearance in the comics has been a little sparse.And I dont think any story lines involving him have really managed to rival or surpass his animated debut.This maybe due to writers not being able to do anything with him.But I have always thought more could be done with him (I have some ideas forming and I may write my own story involving the character later down the line)

He did also appear in Batman Beyond and as bad ass a usual,it was great to see him fight my favourite Batman Beyond villain Blight.He also appeared in a certain movie portrayed by a certain Austrian actor and ex governor of California,which I shall not mention the name of. He did also appear in The Batman,he was alright but lacked what initially made the character interesting and unique.

And of course he appeared in Arkham City in a very entertaining boss fight.

Until next time. All comments are appreciated.

#2 Posted by redbird3rdboywonder (4059 posts) - - Show Bio

I LOVE Victor's Arkham design so much

#3 Posted by Aiden Cross (15569 posts) - - Show Bio

Ive always found him to be a very interesting and deep character, nice summary ^_^

I shall refrain from making any arny ice puns..:P

#4 Posted by SoA (4838 posts) - - Show Bio

this was really good , look foward to the next installment!

#5 Posted by batkevin74 (10806 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdecepticonleader: To quote the man himself "Cool!" :)

#6 Posted by wildvine (9704 posts) - - Show Bio

Another nice summary/bio. Well done.

Moderator Online
#7 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18076 posts) - - Show Bio

@redbird3rdboywonder said:

I LOVE Victor's Arkham design so much

Same here.

@Aiden Cross said:

Ive always found him to be a very interesting and deep character, nice summary ^_^

I shall refrain from making any arny ice puns..:P

Thanks.

@SoA said:

this was really good , look foward to the next installment!

Thank you.

@batkevin74 said:

@mrdecepticonleader: To quote the man himself "Cool!" :)

Ha ha thanks

@wildvine said:

Another nice summary/bio. Well done.

Thank ya.

#8 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18076 posts) - - Show Bio

bump

#9 Posted by batkevin74 (10806 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdecepticonleader: Who is next?

#10 Posted by satyrgod (2115 posts) - - Show Bio

A well thought-out and enjoyable summary.  Who could disagree with the assessment?  Looking forward to the next.  Bump.

#11 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18076 posts) - - Show Bio

@batkevin74 said:

@mrdecepticonleader: Who is next?

I could of posted "you will have to find out" but honestly I don't know,I tend to do these on a bit of a whim,though I have a couple in mind that Id like to do.

@satyrgod said:

A well thought-out and enjoyable summary. Who could disagree with the assessment? Looking forward to the next. Bump.

Thank you.

#12 Posted by Bruxae (13916 posts) - - Show Bio

Well done!

I find it funny how every character was way cooler in Arkham Asylum/City, take notes DC!

#13 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18076 posts) - - Show Bio

@Bruxae said:

Well done!

I find it funny how every character was way cooler in Arkham Asylum/City, take notes DC!

Thanks.

Yeah they did do a good job with the characters.

#14 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

Good way to learn about the character -- no idea how I could have missed this blog.

Another great write up. :)

#15 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18076 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

Good way to learn about the character -- no idea how I could have missed this blog.

Another great write up. :)

#16 Posted by silkyballfro94 (1745 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice. To me, Mr. Freeze is one of the more underrated villains in Batman and deserves more attention.

#17 Edited by mrdecepticonleader (18076 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice. To me, Mr. Freeze is one of the more underrated villains in Batman and deserves more attention.

Yup.