• 67 results
Posted by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (12351 posts) 1 year, 7 months ago

Poll: Using The Same Moves In Fighting Video Games Cheating or Fair (53 votes)

Yes They are Cheating 21%
No It's Still Fair 79%

When you and a friend are playing a game and continue to use the same move(especially if the move is unblockable) or are they just playing fair and or Better.

#51 Posted by FalconPuuunch (942 posts) - - Show Bio

@sunman said:

If its in the rules of the game its not cheating. People need to stop crying foul about things that just annoy them.

I'm assuming this thread was made about the Injustice game. All in all most fighting games tend to be pretty balanced. If you practice or are just a good player its not too difficult to take down spammers. Using the same attack over and over again actually makes people predictable and easier to defend or counter.

I guess it's annoying if your on the receiving end, but thats really your problem. If you are not good enough to stop it, why shouldn't your opponent keep doing it? Just like in football, if you can't stop the run than expect the opposing team to run it down your throat. It's all in the name of competition. End of the day you soldier up and get better and find a way to beat the other guy. It's no fun if you just get easy win after easy win

Exactly, well said sir. It's not cheating, lol @ that concept. People that think spamming fireballs, moves over and over are just really pissy that the reality is they can't find a way around it so they cry foul. These are the kind of people imo that should not be playing fighting games to begin with.

The answer? One of 3 things: A. Practice makes better as with anything else in life B. Play offline modes, story, etc this way they dont get pissed or C. Just stop playing the game all together.

If someone strikes you out in baseball with nothing but fastballs, will the batter have the right to cry "you're cheating"? Hardly, people will do what is working for them despite how simple it may be.

Same thing with FGC, example Injustice came out recently and a lot of people are using Deathstroke and just gunning from range. A ton of people are crying "they need to nerf DS" instead of figuring out a way to counter him or get in on him(which is possible, but challenging)

Not every spam is easy to block or counter. Have you played MK9 with a Noob Saibot spammer? It's not just one single fireball over and over sometimes, it's usually three projectiles over and over again in different variations. It's not cheating, but it's definitely an asshole move. I play Injustice and wipe the floor with spammers because of the lag system that Netherealm incorporated into the game so that it would be more possible to over power the spammers.

But it's super annoying when 98% of the players are just using the same move over and over in order to get an easy win. I have 56 wins and around 5 loses so i'm not complaining because it's usually an easy win for me as well because they suck, but it's such a drag to play with these lame ass people who can't take a few games out of their day to have a descent fight. These people ruin the games for everyone else who just wants to have a descent match.

With this said i'm already bored with Injustice online. The community is garbage and the system mechanics aren't that diverse. It's not a very challenging game and nowhere near as fun as MK9.

#52 Posted by nerdork (4039 posts) - - Show Bio

Absolutely FAIR!!! It sucks when it happens to you, but that doesn't mean its cheating.

#53 Edited by KnightRise (4762 posts) - - Show Bio

It sucks all the fun away. It shows limited skill, poor sportmanship, and has been responsible for several of my younger cousins' injuries.

#54 Edited by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

Not so sure about the "poor sportsmanship" as far as I'm concerned, poor sportsmanship would be the hatemail I get every time I win which is not only immature but very poor sportsmanship...MK I got tons be it because I was on the leaderboards, good or because they just didn't like my "tactics" I don't even use the top tiers like Kung Lao, Kenshi, Kabal etc in MK9. I use Ermac, Sektor, Scorpion, Night Wolf mostly. Mid tier ninjas...

@falconpuuunch said:

@vaeternus said:

@sunman said:

If its in the rules of the game its not cheating. People need to stop crying foul about things that just annoy them.

I'm assuming this thread was made about the Injustice game. All in all most fighting games tend to be pretty balanced. If you practice or are just a good player its not too difficult to take down spammers. Using the same attack over and over again actually makes people predictable and easier to defend or counter.

I guess it's annoying if your on the receiving end, but thats really your problem. If you are not good enough to stop it, why shouldn't your opponent keep doing it? Just like in football, if you can't stop the run than expect the opposing team to run it down your throat. It's all in the name of competition. End of the day you soldier up and get better and find a way to beat the other guy. It's no fun if you just get easy win after easy win

Exactly, well said sir. It's not cheating, lol @ that concept. People that think spamming fireballs, moves over and over are just really pissy that the reality is they can't find a way around it so they cry foul. These are the kind of people imo that should not be playing fighting games to begin with.

The answer? One of 3 things: A. Practice makes better as with anything else in life B. Play offline modes, story, etc this way they dont get pissed or C. Just stop playing the game all together.

If someone strikes you out in baseball with nothing but fastballs, will the batter have the right to cry "you're cheating"? Hardly, people will do what is working for them despite how simple it may be.

Same thing with FGC, example Injustice came out recently and a lot of people are using Deathstroke and just gunning from range. A ton of people are crying "they need to nerf DS" instead of figuring out a way to counter him or get in on him(which is possible, but challenging)

Not every spam is easy to block or counter. Have you played MK9 with a Noob Saibot spammer? It's not just one single fireball over and over sometimes, it's usually three projectiles over and over again in different variations. It's not cheating, but it's definitely an asshole move. I play Injustice and wipe the floor with spammers because of the lag system that Netherealm incorporated into the game so that it would be more possible to over power the spammers.

But it's super annoying when 98% of the players are just using the same move over and over in order to get an easy win. I have 56 wins and around 5 loses so i'm not complaining because it's usually an easy win for me as well because they suck, but it's such a drag to play with these lame ass people who can't take a few games out of their day to have a descent fight. These people ruin the games for everyone else who just wants to have a descent match.

With this said i'm already bored with Injustice online. The community is garbage and the system mechanics aren't that diverse. It's not a very challenging game and nowhere near as fun as MK9.

As a matter of fact I have several times(noob is nothing compared to KL or Kenshi) so if you hate Noob you don't want to play good Kung Lao's or Kenshis or Kabal's with his dash cancels ;) you're also talking to a competitive MK player.

I'm on the leaderboards on Xbox MK9, player match and been to a few tourneys. Dealing with Noob may be hard for a Nooby(no pun intended) but I assure you he's easy to deal with the smart counterpick and strategy. For Noob I'd simply use someone who can get to him and preferably someone with a teleport, Raiden, Ermac, Scorpion, Smoke I can go on. There are plenty of choices against Noob...trust me. It just takes work, but that's the thing. People can just practice something but don't want to, so they cry over it and demand nerfs or want others to play "how they want them to play" it doesn't work that way. People will pick who they want and play to win no less. Especially online...it can be MK, Injustice, Smash Brothers even...there will always be someone out there that tries to find "easier" ways to win but I assure you a smart player won't fall for that no more then a few times.

I definitely think Injustice is more of a "zoning" game meaning people can win by just staying far every time with people like Deathstroke, Raven, Sinestro, GL, Superman etc these characters have tons of range moves to just sit back and spam the moves over and over. But this is nothing new, it happens in every fighter. MK and SF though those games often close the gap and are easier to get in vs. say Injustice.

I agree that I think MK is more enjoyable, but I do think Injustice is fun however if someone wins by just doing fireballs while that may not be much of a strategy if it works against someone, I'd probably blame the person silly enough to fall for it again and again and again lol. This is one reason why counter picking is crucial to the Fighting Game Community(despite the game) that's another issue some people debate about. If Counter picking if fair or not...but sometimes you have to.

#55 Posted by deadpoolrules (4683 posts) - - Show Bio

Jump, X, Square, Square, Triangle...

And that's how I can beat anyone using Harley Quinn.

That's not cheating...just...me being an asshole.

Down,back,Y-That's me beating you with Aquaman!

#56 Edited by jwalser3 (5279 posts) - - Show Bio

If it's the same combo I don't care. But if it's like a special move(Sub Zero's ice blast, Aquaman's Trident) then I think it's pathetic.

#57 Edited by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

@jwalser3 said:

If it's the same combo I don't care. But if it's like a special move(Sub Zero's ice blast, Aquaman's Trident) then I think it's pathetic.

I was actually a little shocked Killer Frost didn't have an ice move like Sub's iceball. I'm excited for Lobo once he's available.

#58 Posted by jwalser3 (5279 posts) - - Show Bio

@vaeternus: I see....I see! Lobo have a Scorpion like chain pull move!

#59 Posted by Stormbox (2001 posts) - - Show Bio

Its not cheating... wont stop me from wishing i could shove that machine gun up deathstroke's ass, tho

#60 Posted by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

@deadpoolrules said:

@the_lunact_and_manic said:

Wait..

That would be self-harm!

#61 Posted by deadpoolrules (4683 posts) - - Show Bio

@deadpoolrules said:

@the_lunact_and_manic said:

Wait..

That would be self-harm!

It could take me/us to suicide =O

#62 Posted by k4tzm4n (34898 posts) - - Show Bio

It's fair, it just doesn't generate any respect. Spamming attacks isn't "cheating," just cheap.

Staff
#63 Edited by TifaLockhart (14157 posts) - - Show Bio

Cheap but legit. If someone wants to win that badly...

#64 Edited by dccomicsrule2011 (26848 posts) - - Show Bio

@awesam said:

It's a way of playing, like camping in shooter games. It's just for untalented assholes.

#65 Posted by FalconPuuunch (942 posts) - - Show Bio

Not so sure about the "poor sportsmanship" as far as I'm concerned, poor sportsmanship would be the hatemail I get every time I win which is not only immature but very poor sportsmanship...MK I got tons be it because I was on the leaderboards, good or because they just didn't like my "tactics" I don't even use the top tiers like Kung Lao, Kenshi, Kabal etc in MK9. I use Ermac, Sektor, Scorpion, Night Wolf mostly. Mid tier ninjas...

@falconpuuunch said:

@vaeternus said:

@sunman said:

As a matter of fact I have several times(noob is nothing compared to KL or Kenshi) so if you hate Noob you don't want to play good Kung Lao's or Kenshis or Kabal's with his dash cancels ;) you're also talking to a competitive MK player.

I'm on the leaderboards on Xbox MK9, player match and been to a few tourneys. Dealing with Noob may be hard for a Nooby(no pun intended) but I assure you he's easy to deal with the smart counterpick and strategy. For Noob I'd simply use someone who can get to him and preferably someone with a teleport, Raiden, Ermac, Scorpion, Smoke I can go on. There are plenty of choices against Noob...trust me. It just takes work, but that's the thing. People can just practice something but don't want to, so they cry over it and demand nerfs or want others to play "how they want them to play" it doesn't work that way. People will pick who they want and play to win no less. Especially online...it can be MK, Injustice, Smash Brothers even...there will always be someone out there that tries to find "easier" ways to win but I assure you a smart player won't fall for that no more then a few times.

I definitely think Injustice is more of a "zoning" game meaning people can win by just staying far every time with people like Deathstroke, Raven, Sinestro, GL, Superman etc these characters have tons of range moves to just sit back and spam the moves over and over. But this is nothing new, it happens in every fighter. MK and SF though those games often close the gap and are easier to get in vs. say Injustice.

I agree that I think MK is more enjoyable, but I do think Injustice is fun however if someone wins by just doing fireballs while that may not be much of a strategy if it works against someone, I'd probably blame the person silly enough to fall for it again and again and again lol. This is one reason why counter picking is crucial to the Fighting Game Community(despite the game) that's another issue some people debate about. If Counter picking if fair or not...but sometimes you have to.

My only argument is that these people are douche bags, not that they are cheating. They can be smart douche bags who take easy wins from "nooby players", but that doesn't take away from the fact. Not everyone has 8 hours a day to master every defensive or counter character. I know that's a silly argument anywhere when it comes to competitive gaming or anything competitive, but it's the truth. I mostly play FPS and fighting games to have a good game or to kill boredom. I mean isn't that the point? What's the point of being on the leaderboards if it's by spamming or camping? In my opinion it's nothing to be proud of. Anyone can just sit there and shoot projectiles over and over. Yes, I can spam too. If I wanted to, I could be untouchable with Sonya.

But I choose not to because i'm not a dill hole. I take in account that I am playing against someone who probably purchased the game to have fun and play how it was designed to play. Because you know? That's kind of the right thing to do.

#66 Edited by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

Just want to get a general statement out there concerning FPS's vs. Fighters and why they can't be compared...I can't see how using a move in a fighter that clearly has a few pauses of frames in between each time used to being compared to camping in an FPS...entirely different elements. Camping, depending on the spot can be FAR more difficult to penetrate and doesn't involve movement, much less half the time if it's a sniper you can't even see being shot, much less where half the time or your opponent until it's too late.

Where as in a fighter there's constantly movement and you're restricted to a smaller sized arena where you can simply teleport, jump, dash and block and read your opponents patterns and you can see your opponent. It's totally legit not to mention apples & oranges.

@falconpuuunch said:

My only argument is that these people are douche bags, not that they are cheating. They can be smart douche bags who take easy wins from "nooby players", but that doesn't take away from the fact. Not everyone has 8 hours a day to master every defensive or counter character. I know that's a silly argument anywhere when it comes to competitive gaming or anything competitive, but it's the truth. I mostly play FPS and fighting games to have a good game or to kill boredom. I mean isn't that the point? What's the point of being on the leaderboards if it's by spamming or camping? In my opinion it's nothing to be proud of. Anyone can just sit there and shoot projectiles over and over. Yes, I can spam too. If I wanted to, I could be untouchable with Sonya.

But I choose not to because i'm not a dill hole. I take in account that I am playing against someone who probably purchased the game to have fun and play how it was designed to play. Because you know? That's kind of the right thing to do.

Well, I guess that depends on how one perceives something. I personally have no issues with someone doing a move again and again, because that makes my job easier given such a primitive strategy. I do however hate and feel the d-bags are those who send hatemail, give bad feedback for no reason and scream and curse into the mic. That tends to annoy me. It's not so much the 8 hours a day,(different people have different schedules, lives, jobs, school etc) but it's like anything else determination. You don't have to put in 8 straight hours, merely a few maybe each day or even one each day. Point is if you're willing to give the game some time like anything else in life, practice makes perfect. If someone is not, then don't expect to improve.

It also depends on what kind of gamer you are too, you strike me as a more casual gamer which is fine. You'd probably want to stay away from online, tournaments and more advanced rooms. Because speaking from experience, they will show you no mercy lol. I'm more competitive, so I enjoy it. I also try to have fun though, I used to take losing and winning WAY more seriously then I do now. But I assure you, I got on MK's leaderboards legit. For one, I played and beat every other leaderboard and used mid tier characters(I didn't use top tiers like most people do or just spam) I can do lots of combos, tactics, zoning, knowing when to block etc. FPS's I don't play since they all seem the same to me honestly, but I definitely think camping is far worse then spamming.

Spamming at least you can get around, camping you can't more often then not for reasons I already explained above. People just pick a spot and sit there literally...however I do have to partially blame the developers here too because they create the maps. If they want to have less of that, all they have to do is make more open maps which does help. If you have xbox, you can give me Sonya all day dude lol. She's a solid character but after dealing with tons of Kabal's, KL's Sonya is a walk in the park compared to them. You'd probably hate me then, because I use Ermac and Sektor and zone the hell out of people. With Ermac, I won't let you get close to me and Sektor I enjoy bombarding people with missle pressure while jumping in for combo pressure.

I think everyone buys these games for fun, but at the same time others play to compete which is their definition of fun too. Now me, I'm just a huge MK and DC fan so I'll play for both story, characters as well as for fun and competing.

Same difference with Smash Brothers, I only use Pikachu and like to zone and spam the lightning bolt. It works for me so I use it. Is it annoying to others? Perhaps but legit? Entirely. Plus, in Smash you can't really combo like you can in other fighters so it's more about zoning anyway especially with the bigger screen/stages.

#67 Posted by SupremeHyperion (1545 posts) - - Show Bio

cheatiing no (unless it's a bug in the game that doesn't allow it to be defended.. i hate exploiters), lame at times yes. nothing worse than when everyone online used the same damn character because he has an exploitive combo or grapple. but that's the world of fighting games for you.