University bans sombreros as 'racist' costume

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

University students have been banned from going to fancy dress parties dressed in sombreros and as members of the YMCA after they were branded racist.

The University of Birmingham guild of students has banned a number of fancy dress costumes as part of a crack down on what it claims is “discriminatory behaviour”.

The decision has left students threatening to boycott the guild after many were turned away for dressing as Mexicans or fictional characters or told to change their costumes.

There was also anger after a promotional video of Dave Charles, vice president for housing and community on the guild, emerged of him wearing a sombrero – believed to be filmed before the ban was announced.

Carl Raynsford, 21, a basketball player at the university said he and his team mates were told they would not be allowed to go to a Halloween event dressed as Mexicans.

A hue+o que esto es por culpa de algun gringo p++d++o que se le botaron las cabras al monte, ahora resulta que usar sombrero es racista, no es racista decir que el IQ de un mexicano es menor, no es racista llamar a todos los latioamericanos mexicanos y quien sabe cuantas p+n+++s c++g+++ras, el sombrero es lo racist, HASME EL REP+++ CH++G+++ FAVOR!!!

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Everything is racist these days.

Avatar image for deactivated-579ecfa921bb2
deactivated-579ecfa921bb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yay, finally I'll be able to sleep at night now that racist sombreros have been banned.

NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@norrinboltagonprime21 said:

Everything is racist these days.

THAT'S RACIST!!!!

How do I know you're not racist and are trying to cover up by calling me racist!!!!

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know one radical social activist (personally). He's actually quite an bright, confidant, funny young man. But when I say he is overly hypersensitive to anything that might offend anyone female, gay, of color, or just different, man am I not exaggerating. He went on a massive Facebook tirade this past Halloween about how dressing as a sugar skull/Dia de los Muertita or Native American "makes you a racist", how men dressing as woman/drag queens is horribly homophobic, and how the stereotypical "slutty-noun" costume label is their right. <---Kind of agree with that last one, though. This case is not the same as painting yourself yellow, squinting and wearing buck teeth with a fu man chu, or lathering your face in shoe polish and crying about "Ma'sah!".

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 11

Ok this takes a moment figure out. Let me get this straight. Students were dressing up as Mexicans. The sombreros aren't racist. The people dressing up as Mexican stereotype for a Halloween costume are possibly racist. Notice the bold text because this could easily be mistaken if they don’t know better.

First question to ask what are they suppose to be. If there response is Mexicans then ask what kind of Mexican.

If they as a generic outlaw please make sure they are more specific. Are they trying to dress up as Tuco from the Good the Bad and the Ugly?

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

Wait so I wore a sombrero and poncho for Halloween once. I was a mariachi. Are they saying that's racist?

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Political correctness run amok.

Idiocy.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

I'm Latino and don't find that racist at all.

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I am tired of these right-wing, politically correct, white-guilty driven nutjobs. I bet they must have nightmares with this

Before you ask, I am Brazilian lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

I'm all for not being racist and whatnot, but this seems like a silly thing to ban. I mean, are sombreros hurting anyone ?

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By MakkyD

University officials do know Mexicans aren't a race, right?

Bogey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Bogey

I know white people who wear ponchos all the time. Must be due to their racist desire to keep from getting wet and staying warm.

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not touching this one with a ten foot pole.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dragonborn_ct: Is not right wing, is left wing, white guilt is left wing.

Racism is a Left Wing Moral Panic.

@squares said:

I'm all for not being racist and whatnot, but this seems like a silly thing to ban. I mean, are sombreros hurting anyone ?

Is like the people who wants to ban the opressive burka, without notice the fat they try to ban it made them opressive.

@maccyd said:

University officials do know Mexicans aren't a race, right?

They dont, they are racist, havent you pay attention.

Also my Sombrero Bale i start using it in September for the Mexican Independence Day, so it has nothing to do with this.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Dragonborn_CT

@deathpoolthet1000: *Shrugs* I don't know, everyone just seems to take even the slightest form of stereotype as the most racist thing ever.

TotalBalance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know one radical social activist (personally). He's actually quite an bright, confidant, funny young man. But when I say he is overly hypersensitive to anything that might offend anyone female, gay, of color, or just different, man am I not exaggerating. He went on a massive Facebook tirade this past Halloween about how dressing as a sugar skull/Dia de los Muertita or Native American "makes you a racist", how men dressing as woman/drag queens is horribly homophobic, and how the stereotypical "slutty-noun" costume label is their right. <---Kind of agree with that last one, though. This case is not the same as painting yourself yellow, squinting and wearing buck teeth with a fu man chu, or lathering your face in shoe polish and crying about "Ma'sah!".

Man, if that chap had his way there would be virtually nothing left to dress up as for Halloween without being called a racist bigot.

NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hazlenaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

Did anyone read it accurately? They said they were dressed as Mexicans. Stop with the pictures look for the key words. Why do I even bother? The students do bad. The way University take care of problem by banning sombrero is bad. The way you ignore the problem is bad too.