#1 Posted by Inverno (13061 posts) - - Show Bio

Link in Portuguese

Ubisoft has apologized to fans for using a Brazil as setting in Assassin's Creed III. Supposedly, the main protagonist Desmond Miles travels to São Paulo to retrieve a power cells crucial in the process of exploring the temple and discovering the solution to save the world; the way the city is depicted is dirty, wretched and overpopulated with stereotypes and poorly dressed people, who were even more poorly voiced. This generated a lot of controversy among fans and the game producer Sebastian Puel has apologized to them, explaining "they rushed through the Brazilian sequence and made it just to thank our fans from Brazil, that they never wished to offend them."

Honestly as a Brazilian, I personally didn't care, I was actually glad to see my country depicted in my favorite video game franchise ever. Though the one thing that really bothered me was their accents, because they sounded really awkward and phoned in. And really, that is hypocritical overreacting on the fans' part because Max Payne 3 showed a lot worse (namely the Brazilian criminal underworld) and nobody complained about that game.

#2 Posted by StMichalofWilson (3708 posts) - - Show Bio

Wait you're Brazillian?

#3 Posted by Inverno (13061 posts) - - Show Bio

@StMichalofWilson said:

Wait you're Brazillian?

Yes, I say this quite a lot :P

#4 Posted by SmashBrawler (5509 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually had no idea about this :P

But it's cool to hear your opinion on the whole thing.

#5 Posted by FLCL1 (9580 posts) - - Show Bio

people are offended to easily...

same thing with resident evil 5

#6 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (17627 posts) - - Show Bio

I think people are offended too easily.

#7 Posted by JonSmith (3990 posts) - - Show Bio

... Define 'a lot of controversy' because I've heard NOTHING about this til this very second.

#8 Posted by Inverno (13061 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonSmith said:

... Define 'a lot of controversy' because I've heard NOTHING about this til this very second.

@SmashBrawler said:

I actually had no idea about this :P

But it's cool to hear your opinion on the whole thing.

Well it generated a lot of controversy where I live. It appeared in some news articles and a lot of Brazilian Youtube users voiced their complaints in videos, but speaking world-wide so far its a closed incident that is why you haven't heard about it.

@mrdecepticonleader said:

I think people are offended too easily.

@FLCL1 said:

people are offended to easily...

same thing with resident evil 5

Indeed, they really like to feel self-righteous about one thing and scream "STEREOTYPE" on it.

#9 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (17627 posts) - - Show Bio

@CaioTrubat: And the same people dont realize stereotypes are very common.

#10 Posted by _Zombie_ (10325 posts) - - Show Bio

So out of the problems the game does have, they chose this to complain about? Stupid.

#11 Posted by Highlander_615 (212 posts) - - Show Bio

@_Zombie_ said:

So out of the problems the game does have, they chose this to complain about? Stupid.

You would be surprised how many people can get lost nitpicking things to death, and end up missing the genuine problems.

#12 Posted by Samimista (20609 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't even know about this. I thought it was kinda cool how they included Brazil since I know you're a major fan of the series.

#13 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19975 posts) - - Show Bio

OHMERGERD THEY GOT TEH ACCENT WRONG

OFFENDED OFFENDED

#14 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

OHMERGERD THEY GOT TEH ACCENT WRONG

OFFENDED OFFENDED

#15 Posted by Nefarious (18863 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm offended at them being offended.