Trying to wrap my head around Zoom's Power (Physics)

Enemybird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Enemybird

Zoom has the ability to slow time relative to himself.... Its my understanding (based on the video) That light moves at the same speed for everyone which means zoom will continue to age and whatnot...Which is consistent with the theory of relativity... Well here is where is gets confusing for me... In order to slow down time Bertrand had to be moving fast enough so that time slowed down for him only... which means everyone else would be moving faster than him...Right? So to move slower though time you have to be fast and to move faster though time you have to be slow???

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Decoy Elite

@Enemybird: Zoom is on a separate time tract from everyone else. Said tract is ahead of the normal timeline by a good margin. So whatever he does with his personal timetract really won't effect the main one as he is separate from it.

Enemybird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Enemybird

@Decoy Elite said:

@Enemybird: Zoom is on a separate time tract from everyone else. Said tract is ahead of the normal timeline by a good margin. So whatever he does with his personal timetract really won't effect the main one as he is separate from it.

Ok that makes sense... My head was about to explode trying to figure it out... thanks

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Decoy Elite

@Enemybird said:

@Decoy Elite said:

Ok that makes sense... My head was about to explode trying to figure it out... thanks

No problem. I remember there being scans of Jay Garrick explaining how his powers work, so you could hunt them down if you're interested.

Avatar image for the_man_of_yesteryear
The Man of Yesteryear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

...Shouldn't he be like a zillion years old then?

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Decoy Elite

@The Man of Yesteryear said:

...Shouldn't he be like a zillion years old then?

He is able to slow down his own time track.

But yes, in theory he should age quicker than a normal person. Although IIRC he's time locked or something.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DEGRAAF

@The Man of Yesteryear:

Does he speed up or slow down time around him? I thought he sped time up so he could run faster essentially slowing time down out side of himself. Your right though he should age fast i would think.

Doesnt Zoom and Gabriel (velocidad) have the same powers basically?

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By King_Saturn
You can't use actual physics to legitimately make sense of DC Characters... it wont work because the laws of physics are incredible bent and warped in Comic Books... that's why you have characters like Superman or Flash or even Green Lantern traveling Faster Than Light... characters like Mr. Majestic or Superman moving entire Planets... feats like this are highly highly unlikely under natural laws of physics..  
ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By ReVamp

@King Saturn said:

You can't use actual physics to legitimately make sense of DC Characters... it wont work because the laws of physics are incredible bent and warped in Comic Books... that's why you have characters like Superman or Flash or even Green Lantern traveling Faster Than Light... characters like Mr. Majestic or Superman moving entire Planets... feats like this are highly highly unlikely under natural laws of physics..

Or people picking up buildings.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By King_Saturn
@ReVamp said:

@King Saturn said:

You can't use actual physics to legitimately make sense of DC Characters... it wont work because the laws of physics are incredible bent and warped in Comic Books... that's why you have characters like Superman or Flash or even Green Lantern traveling Faster Than Light... characters like Mr. Majestic or Superman moving entire Planets... feats like this are highly highly unlikely under natural laws of physics..

Or people picking up buildings.

yeah that too... 
Enemybird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Enemybird

@King Saturn said:

Faster than light travel is possible... also none of the laws of physics would be broken if planets are moved...they move anyways... But i understand your point about not trying to combine the two... Legitimately... But Zoom's powers seemed to have some things that are consistent with real physics and relativity... I just wanted to compare and figure out what it would take for his powers to work...

Avatar image for texasdeathmatch
texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By texasdeathmatch
@King Saturn said:
You can't use actual physics to legitimately make sense of DC Characters... it wont work because the laws of physics are incredible bent and warped in Comic Books... that's why you have characters like Superman or Flash or even Green Lantern traveling Faster Than Light... characters like Mr. Majestic or Superman moving entire Planets... feats like this are highly highly unlikely under natural laws of physics..  
This should be copied and pasted in every battle thread. So sick of when people try to break down everything to the exact science. 
Avatar image for trueilluminatus
TrueIlluminatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TrueIlluminatus

@DEGRAAF said:

@The Man of Yesteryear:

Does he speed up or slow down time around him? I thought he sped time up so he could run faster essentially slowing time down out side of himself. Your right though he should age fast i would think.

Doesnt Zoom and Gabriel (velocidad) have the same powers basically?

Velocidad speeds time up. Zoom does not.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By King_Saturn
@Enemybird said:

@King Saturn said:

Faster than light travel is possible... also none of the laws of physics would be broken if planets are moved...they move anyways... But i understand your point about not trying to combine the two... Legitimately... But Zoom's powers seemed to have some things that are consistent with real physics and relativity... I just wanted to compare and figure out what it would take for his powers to work...

1. Well I tell you what... When you find the Scientist that says it's possible that some People can Fly and Run Faster Than Light... then we will talk about this issue again.  
2. Okay... Again, when you find the Scientist that discovers that it's possible some People can physically move Entire Planets... then we can come back to this issue.

Enemybird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Enemybird

@texasdeathmatch said:

@King Saturn said:
This should be copied and pasted in every battle thread. So sick of when people try to break down everything to the exact science.

Well it is possible ... The video above shows a professor from the university of Minnesota attempt to explain how Dr. Manhattan's powers could work.

Enemybird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Enemybird

@King Saturn said:

@Enemybird said:

@King Saturn said:

1. Well I tell you what... When you find the Scientist that says it's possible that some People can Fly and Run Faster Than Light... then we will talk about this issue again.
2. Okay... Again, when you find the Scientist that discovers that it's possible some People can physically move Entire Planets... then we can come back to this issue.

The reason why those things arent possible have less to do with physics and more to do with our knowledge or lack thereof of the universe...

the creator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By the creator

Texasdeathmatch said: "This should be copied and pasted in every battle thread. So sick of when people try to break down everything to the exact science"........... Well you can never break down powers and feats to perfectly exact science. As a scientist in my day job, I understand the limitations with comicbook physics but you can still be accurate and apply basic scientific principle in an argument.....or in other words common sense.

isaac_clarke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By isaac_clarke

That is partly because Zoom's abilities with his powers already make little to no sense when he starts tossing out Superman level punches despite he shouldn't be hitting any harder than you or I do.

Or running up buildings, tanking hits from the Flash, etc.

nickthedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By nickthedevil

@Enemybird:

No Caption Provided

@Enemybird: it's a comic book. rleax.