• 143 results
#101 Edited by PartialSanity (433 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course racism exists. Not only in the United States but everywhere in the world, whether it is noticeable or not. People could write theses about why this happens. I think it all boils down to collective and individual ignorance. It is likely that racism will always exist. It can be passive racism, passive-aggressive, or simply aggressive. Why? Well, the world isn't exactly running low on ignorant people; we're in mass production, baby.

Even if racism completely disappeared, however unlikely, discrimination will still happen. We(humans), always find a way to make ourselves believe that we're above it all, it is just simply what we do. While it doesn't happen in every single case, it happens in enough: Rich people look down on poor people because they don't have money, poor people look down on rich people because they believe they waste their money, the middle class looks down on both the rich and the poor, and the other two look down on the middle class. Plenty of straight people look down on [insert other sexualisms here] because "that's just not normal," [insert other sexualisms here] look down on a lot of the straight people because of their close mindedness. Knowledgeable people look down on the less educated because they deem them stupid, the less educated look down on the more knowledgeable because they deem them snooty and condescending.

I could go on and on, but I believe that should be enough to make a point. In reality, we're all idiots who hardly deserve to walk on a planet as beautiful as this; it's hard to see because of all we've accomplished, but I believe it's pretty true. All of this is almost unavoidable; our differences in opinion are what drive us. Our aspirations to prove that X is better than Y, is what makes humanity grow. The alternative would be a completely homogenous coexistence with no need to change anything. Unless we only direct those opinions correctly, we can't truly live in a progressive society.

We like to separate ourselves from others for whatever reason; form clubs with people with similar opinions to cast judgement on others. Even here on the Vine.

Tolerance can only get us so far. The only solution to problems like racism is that everybody goes above the situation. A good question would be, "How do you convince 7 billion people to have the same exact opinion about something?"

Some food for thought: Since the dawn of man someone has been trying to "conquer Earth," or at least "control territories." We're still doing that.

#102 Edited by Jnr6Lil (7705 posts) - - Show Bio

@nick_hero22: There is no standard of beauty, everyone is attracted to different people.

#103 Posted by nick_hero22 (6868 posts) - - Show Bio

@jnr6lil said:

@nick_hero22: There is no standard of beauty, everyone is attracted to different people.

That true to a certain extent, usually there are a core set of characteristic that are usually seen as more attractive in different communities.

#104 Posted by warlock360 (28050 posts) - - Show Bio

The same as it does in every other being around the globe...

#105 Edited by Jnr6Lil (7705 posts) - - Show Bio

@jnr6lil said:

That true to a certain extent, usually there are a core set of characteristic that are usually seen as more attractive in different communities.

Though I will say the media when it comes to black women favor light skins.

#107 Posted by Jayc1324 (12203 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think it will ever end. Racism has always been there even before slavery in te US. Even if no parents taught their kids to hate, when they grow up they may notice differences in races and think they are different types of people and develop a racist view all by themselves. Tolerance and thoughts of all human equality needs to be instilled at a young age

#108 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7705 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324 said:

I don't think it will ever end. Racism has always been there even before slavery in te US. Even if no parents taught their kids to hate, when they grow up they may notice differences in races and think they are different types of people and develop a racist view all by themselves. Tolerance and thoughts of all human equality needs to be instilled at a young age

#109 Posted by XLR87T3 (2762 posts) - - Show Bio
@juliedc said:

Considering this country was built upon racism through slavery and what happened to the Native Americans, racism is deeply embedded in this country and will always be. For some, it is not as apparent because racism can be overt and covert. There are a lot of people that will condone racism because it does not affect their own lives or because it can be easily explained away due to it being covert. Then you have the willful ignorant that will state that minorities should "get over it" because slavery happened a long time ago, forgetting all about Jim Crow policies and the subtle racism that took its place once that became illegal in 1965. Its easier to pretend its not there because to admit its there is to have to do something about it, or openly admit you don't truly care. Its human nature to self segregate, so you have less investment in the issues of a group of people that aren't in your inner circle and even when your inner circle is mixed race, it still doesn't mean that much for example:

I am half black and half white. You'd think being raised in a white household would mean there was no racism...but you'd be wrong. I still have to constantly sit through family members and family friends constantly insulting black people and then being told "I am an exception" and even being told at one point "you are one of the good blacks but the rest of them...." and I kid you not, one family member stated, "I don't consider you black" even though I have the complexion of Halle Berry.

What truly aggravates me, is when I am turned into a spokesperson or am expected to take responsibility of the actions of other black people. I don't hold the white race accountable when a white guy shoots up a school. I don't like it when I am treated like a common thug because the only thing I have in common with said thug is race. That one hurts far more than being called names simply because it denies my individuality all the while other people expect you to give them theirs. I don't know if the people who do this, realize they are doing it (and you see some people on this thread doing it), but I really wish they'd stop it.

Sometimes people truly don't know they are saying things that are very patronizing. Usually you can tell if they fall into that category or the racist category by their willingness to keep defending what they said even after you tell them its offensive.

Sir, you have a new follower!

#110 Posted by Wolverine08 (42174 posts) - - Show Bio

I gotta have my white girls!

#111 Posted by hylian (1405 posts) - - Show Bio

#112 Posted by Ms-Lola (2713 posts) - - Show Bio

@hylian said:

I don't get that meme? Seriously, I don't and I don't want to assume things either. Anti-racist is anti-white? (kind of weird seeing the "W" in white capitalised)

#113 Posted by Racob7 (5668 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm often judged unfairly because I'm white.

#114 Posted by Kharms (109 posts) - - Show Bio

Equality is the most untreated aspect of human ethics and morality. It's the line which we childly bring to attention when we need it and forget immediately after use. Segregation between human beings was builded by nations, flags, anthems, social classes, politics. Divide et impera. Classic Bible story for little children.

Threads like this one shouldn't appear. Equality isn't discussion, it's a quintessence of human nature

#115 Posted by Kharms (109 posts) - - Show Bio

@racob7: Unfairly...how far it goes? Have you been enslaved lately?

#116 Edited by comicace3 (5250 posts) - - Show Bio

Guys everyone is a little bit racist.

*cue's avenue Q music*

#117 Edited by Pfcoolio14 (1139 posts) - - Show Bio

@racob7 said:

@kharms said:

#118 Posted by Racob7 (5668 posts) - - Show Bio

@kharms said:

What's wrong is wrong, man.

#119 Posted by Cloakx14 (3006 posts) - - Show Bio

@jnr6lil said:

@biggkeem89 said:

Racial biased exists in every facet of American life. Our society is a White( by "white", generally Anglo-Saxon protestant) centered society, with everyone else in progressive lesser levels of socio-economic and political strata. This is because the U.S. foundation and history has been mostly dominated by the ideas and values of this group, and thus the social strata shows this. Generally, things that are considered "white" are considered better than things relegated to other races. For example, often times when a person of another ethnic group outside of "white" starts to do things like use proper grammar, dress in a more middle or upper class fashion, or do other things, they are considered to be "acting white"(I've even heard the term "Negro Saxon" in the case of black people). This is because higher class values and attributes are considered "white" due to those traditionally in power sharing that background. Not all minorities are treated with the same bias, however. Asians are generally considered the "model minority", and usually receive more positive biased stereotypes, such as intellect, work ethic, etc, which allows them to occupy higher positions in society over other ethnic groups like Hispanics or blacks. This stratification is also malleable, as seen with groups like the Irish, Catholics, Jews, Asians, etc, that have occupied various positions in the U.S. social structure, and thus have had differing biases over the decades(hispanics, blacks, and homosexuals have generally maintained their positions in society, however, with growing acceptance of alternative lifestyles and the push for gay rights, this might be changing for homosexuals. Only time will tell). But in all, racial bias does exist on a grand scale, and will not ever not exist until the ideas of racial separations(biologically races don't exist, and the groups we maintain today aren't "races" but ethnic groups shaped on various traits that are not biological, i.e. country of origin, religious beliefs, social values, etc) are demolished and the White-on-top power structure is recentered to a more egalitarian one where value is based on actions and content of character and not ethnic origins

This

#120 Posted by Kharms (109 posts) - - Show Bio

@racob7: Yes, It is. And for sure question of equality isn't some sort of playground for childish and hypocritical commentaries like the one you left here

#121 Posted by Racob7 (5668 posts) - - Show Bio

@kharms: How is it childish or hypocritical?

#122 Posted by Kharms (109 posts) - - Show Bio
#123 Posted by Racob7 (5668 posts) - - Show Bio

@kharms: It's not sophism because it's not a false argument.

#124 Edited by Kharms (109 posts) - - Show Bio

@racob7: Honestly I can't tell you exact definition of the word in english but it's not a simple false argument. Sophism itself is deceptive mechanism which used to redirect from an essence of problem. And you definitly did that by concentrated on egocentric white whining when the real substance was leaved untouched. Childish and hypocritical

#125 Posted by Racob7 (5668 posts) - - Show Bio

@kharms: Egocentric white whining? Why are you insulting me now?

#126 Posted by Kharms (109 posts) - - Show Bio

@racob7: Don't worry, I'm just unfairly judging you because you're white

#127 Posted by dagmar_merrill (8532 posts) - - Show Bio

It's still really bad in South Carolina.

#128 Posted by Racob7 (5668 posts) - - Show Bio

@kharms: Sorry, I'm not in the mood for a fight.

#129 Edited by Jnr6Lil (7705 posts) - - Show Bio
#130 Posted by MatthewParker (2129 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty much all minorities have faced injustices: Hawaiians, and Native Americans had their land stolen away from them, Japanese Americans were unjustly rounded up and put in internmet camps, African Americans were slaves, etc. Today racial bias does still exist it's evident in media where there's like no Asians or Native Americans and if they are on tv it's in horribly stereotypical roles. As for every day things, I've been complimented on how well I speak English, but nothing to bad.

#131 Posted by RD189 (1337 posts) - - Show Bio

The real problem is how much Americans hate Canadians.

Seriously, what did we ever do to you eh? We gave you maple syrup, basketball, garbage bags, zippers, beer and lightbulbs, and you fellas blame us for everything!

#132 Edited by MatthewParker (2129 posts) - - Show Bio

@rd189: we do? Huh didn't know that, learn something new everyday. Also I'm pretty sure if we are mad at you it's because you gave us justin bieber.

#133 Posted by Jphu8414 (3719 posts) - - Show Bio

As an Asian-American I can pretty much attest to the fact that being Asian in the U.S. is no cakewalk and there are definitely more negative stereotypes that hurt us than the supposed "positive" ones (i.e. we are good at math, model minority, bs like that)

#134 Posted by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (11031 posts) - - Show Bio

It ani't the 60's but it still noticeable.

#135 Posted by RD189 (1337 posts) - - Show Bio

@matthewparker: Oh dude, most of you yanks are fairly nice, but some of you HATE us.

Heres a story: Me and my lady are down in Venice Beach for the week before moving on to San Diego. We stop into this bar to have a beer and chat up the locals about things to do around town. As we're talking to the waitress with dreads, this bro comes up to us (seemingly having picked up my noticeable Canadian accent) and he just starts listing off all the Canadian stereotypes, all things I've heard before. But then he insulted hockey, calling it a "sport for fags". So I started my first and only bar fight with him. But even after the cops came to get him, he just went on and on about how much he hated Canada.

#136 Posted by MatthewParker (2129 posts) - - Show Bio

@rd189 said:

@matthewparker: Oh dude, most of you yanks are fairly nice, but some of you HATE us.

Heres a story: Me and my lady are down in Venice Beach for the week before moving on to San Diego. We stop into this bar to have a beer and chat up the locals about things to do around town. As we're talking to the waitress with dreads, this bro comes up to us (seemingly having picked up my noticeable Canadian accent) and he just starts listing off all the Canadian stereotypes, all things I've heard before. But then he insulted hockey, calling it a "sport for fags". So I started my first and only bar fight with him. But even after the cops came to get him, he just went on and on about how much he hated Canada.

Hmm, well im sorry you had such a bad experience in our country, hopefully you also had some good times here?

#137 Posted by RD189 (1337 posts) - - Show Bio

@matthewparker: Chico bro, great town, loved it there. And there was this KICK ASS Pizza joint in San Fran that actually made us Canadian pizza (pep, mush and bacon)!!!

#138 Posted by Xwraith (18092 posts) - - Show Bio

I only have two words to say about this:

Wally West.

#139 Posted by MatthewParker (2129 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith said:

I only have two words to say about this:

Wally West.

what do you mean/?

#140 Edited by Xwraith (18092 posts) - - Show Bio

@matthewparker: Did you not see the huge uproar when they changed him from a white adult to a black kid?

#141 Posted by MatthewParker (2129 posts) - - Show Bio

@rd189 said:

@matthewparker: Chico bro, great town, loved it there. And there was this KICK ASS Pizza joint in San Fran that actually made us Canadian pizza (pep, mush and bacon)!!!

im glad! also next trip to the states you shoud go to hawaii, ive never met anyone who hated canadians there.

#142 Posted by MatthewParker (2129 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith said:

@matthewparker: Did you not see the huge uproar when they changed him from a white adult to a black kid?

i did, but i wouldnt say the backlash was about his race, but rather about his change in atitude, personality, and age.

#143 Posted by TimeLordScience (946 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith: There are well articulated reasons as for why that's a bad thing. Equating people who don't like the change to racism is dreadfully ignorant, borderline offensive.

#144 Posted by MatthewParker (2129 posts) - - Show Bio

@hylian said:

America is not a "white country" if you want to live in a white country move to Europe, America is a nation of immigrants. and yes i know Caucasians are the ethnic majority, but still America is different then Europe, Asia, Africa, etc.

#145 Posted by Knightsofdarkness2 (2157 posts) - - Show Bio

There is so much racial bias in the world. :(

#146 Posted by _Zombie_ (10442 posts) - - Show Bio

@racob7 said:

Judged maybe, but you aren't a victim of racism.

#147 Posted by Racob7 (5668 posts) - - Show Bio

@_zombie_: Not racism, perhaps, but definitely discrimination.

#148 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6286 posts) - - Show Bio

@racob7 said:

@_zombie_: Not racism, perhaps, but definitely discrimination.

Is there a big difference? I thought being discriminated against because of your skin colour would count.

#149 Edited by Racob7 (5668 posts) - - Show Bio

@v_scarlotte_rose: Technically speaking, racism is the belief that one's race is superior. I suppose thinking less of someone because of their race by default would make your race superior, though.

#150 Posted by Eisenfauste (8268 posts) - - Show Bio

There is hypocrisy on ever side of the fence.