• 143 results
#51 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7705 posts) - - Show Bio

I think of all the races in America, only the Native Anericans have a right to still be angry at those in power. I mean, the destruction of your culture, rape of your women, and theft of your land? It's an incredibly terrible thing.

Many people seem to have just forgotten about them. It's just horrible what has occurred to them. If a Native American were to go to a white person and say these things, I would actually empathize with them.

2 out of the three happened to blacks.

#52 Edited by Pfcoolio14 (1139 posts) - - Show Bio

@jnr6lil:

Well technically, Africa was exploited and taken advantage of after the Berlin conference

#53 Posted by Jayc1324 (12299 posts) - - Show Bio

Out in public places like the mall there seems to be almost no racism but if I go to a park and there are mostly white people there i get stares. Or if I go to white family owned store I feel treated differently. It's the little things

#54 Posted by Mercy_ (92704 posts) - - Show Bio

Racial biased exists in every facet of American life. Our society is a White( by "white", generally Anglo-Saxon protestant) centered society, with everyone else in progressive lesser levels of socio-economic and political strata. This is because the U.S. foundation and history has been mostly dominated by the ideas and values of this group, and thus the social strata shows this. Generally, things that are considered "white" are considered better than things relegated to other races. For example, often times when a person of another ethnic group outside of "white" starts to do things like use proper grammar, dress in a more middle or upper class fashion, or do other things, they are considered to be "acting white"(I've even heard the term "Negro Saxon" in the case of black people). This is because higher class values and attributes are considered "white" due to those traditionally in power sharing that background. Not all minorities are treated with the same bias, however. Asians are generally considered the "model minority", and usually receive more positive biased stereotypes, such as intellect, work ethic, etc, which allows them to occupy higher positions in society over other ethnic groups like Hispanics or blacks. This stratification is also malleable, as seen with groups like the Irish, Catholics, Jews, Asians, etc, that have occupied various positions in the U.S. social structure, and thus have had differing biases over the decades(hispanics, blacks, and homosexuals have generally maintained their positions in society, however, with growing acceptance of alternative lifestyles and the push for gay rights, this might be changing for homosexuals. Only time will tell). But in all, racial bias does exist on a grand scale, and will not ever not exist until the ideas of racial separations(biologically races don't exist, and the groups we maintain today aren't "races" but ethnic groups shaped on various traits that are not biological, i.e. country of origin, religious beliefs, social values, etc) are demolished and the White-on-top power structure is recentered to a more egalitarian one where value is based on actions and content of character and not ethnic origins

Brilliant post.

#55 Posted by laflux (16002 posts) - - Show Bio

@mercy_ said:

@biggkeem89 said:

Racial biased exists in every facet of American life. Our society is a White( by "white", generally Anglo-Saxon protestant) centered society, with everyone else in progressive lesser levels of socio-economic and political strata. This is because the U.S. foundation and history has been mostly dominated by the ideas and values of this group, and thus the social strata shows this. Generally, things that are considered "white" are considered better than things relegated to other races. For example, often times when a person of another ethnic group outside of "white" starts to do things like use proper grammar, dress in a more middle or upper class fashion, or do other things, they are considered to be "acting white"(I've even heard the term "Negro Saxon" in the case of black people). This is because higher class values and attributes are considered "white" due to those traditionally in power sharing that background. Not all minorities are treated with the same bias, however. Asians are generally considered the "model minority", and usually receive more positive biased stereotypes, such as intellect, work ethic, etc, which allows them to occupy higher positions in society over other ethnic groups like Hispanics or blacks. This stratification is also malleable, as seen with groups like the Irish, Catholics, Jews, Asians, etc, that have occupied various positions in the U.S. social structure, and thus have had differing biases over the decades(hispanics, blacks, and homosexuals have generally maintained their positions in society, however, with growing acceptance of alternative lifestyles and the push for gay rights, this might be changing for homosexuals. Only time will tell). But in all, racial bias does exist on a grand scale, and will not ever not exist until the ideas of racial separations(biologically races don't exist, and the groups we maintain today aren't "races" but ethnic groups shaped on various traits that are not biological, i.e. country of origin, religious beliefs, social values, etc) are demolished and the White-on-top power structure is recentered to a more egalitarian one where value is based on actions and content of character and not ethnic origins

Brilliant post.

#56 Posted by OblivionKnight (3356 posts) - - Show Bio

@jnr6lil: Obviously. However, A) Blacks have actually recovered from these effects, holding many government positions and becoming highly reputable. And B) The Native Americans were systematically killed for their land. Yes, blacks were enslaved and taken from their ad endured hundreds of years of pain, but Native Anericans are facing the loss of their culture (to the point tht many of the stories, languages, and teachings are not known by children of this generation), have high poverty rates, and most certainly have not been reimbursed by the government.

So, yes, two of the three did happen to Blacks, but not as bad as with Native Americans.

#57 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5426 posts) - - Show Bio

@pfcoolio14: yes it is and it goes back to the beginnings of this country.

#58 Edited by Stevens61310 (183 posts) - - Show Bio

Everyone is racist And as long as there are people there will be racism. And as long as decisions are being made along racial lines there will be racism.

#59 Posted by VercingetorixTheGreat (2823 posts) - - Show Bio

The same as it is everywhere.

#60 Edited by Jnr6Lil (7705 posts) - - Show Bio

@jnr6lil: Obviously. However, A) Blacks have actually recovered from these effects, holding many government positions and becoming highly reputable. And B) The Native Americans were systematically killed for their land. Yes, blacks were enslaved and taken from their ad endured hundreds of years of pain, but Native Anericans are facing the loss of their culture (to the point tht many of the stories, languages, and teachings are not known by children of this generation), have high poverty rates, and most certainly have not been reimbursed by the government.

So, yes, two of the three did happen to Blacks, but not as bad as with Native Americans.

I agree with you but....

Blacks haven't recovered from these effects. The highly reputable blacks who gold government positions are still in the minority, it's few.

B) African-Americans have poverty rates also, have loss of their culture (Most of the African-American children in this country know none of the stories, languages, & teachings from their ancestors).

#61 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@br_havoc said:

I am Canadian and there is a bias here as well I just find it's not as noticeable. First time I have ever really seen a real bias was when I went to Alabama for a Co workers wedding. When I was there I was just walking around and some white guy came up to me and warned me that there is an awful lot of "N*****'s" down the road so watch out. To what I replied what the hell is wrong with you?. On that same trip I went into a restaurant and ordered and I noticed a lot of people looking at me and the waitress even said to me not many people like you come in here. At first I thought she meant Canadians but she went further saying most white people come in here because they're lost not to eat. It was an odd trip seeing how backwards the south is.

See, I noticed this myself as well! It seems to me there are parts of the United States where racism is so commonplace that conversations like you described above happen. There is a bias here in Canada, I agree, but whoever has it is more inclined to keep it to themselves rather than share with strangers and I think it's because they recognize they will more likely get a response like the one you gave at that wedding than having a positive, reinforcing one.

#62 Posted by OblivionKnight (3356 posts) - - Show Bio

@jnr6lil: I think what's also worse is that the Native Americans also faced genocide as well.

I suppose my original statement was a little inaccurate. Native Americans arent the only ones who are allowed to feel bitter. However, it's certainly more understandable (IMO) to hear of a Native American speak of the horrors of the "White Man" than an African-American.

#63 Posted by Amora (522 posts) - - Show Bio

!!!!!!!!!!

#64 Edited by Strongarm (5857 posts) - - Show Bio

To such an extend that they have Stormfront

#65 Edited by Jnr6Lil (7705 posts) - - Show Bio

@oblivionknight said:

@jnr6lil: I think what's also worse is that the Native Americans also faced genocide as well.

I suppose my original statement was a little inaccurate. Native Americans arent the only ones who are allowed to feel bitter. However, it's certainly more understandable (IMO) to hear of a Native American speak of the horrors of the "White Man" than an African-American.

Not necessarily.

You really want to know what blacks go/went through?

500 years of racism from the 1500s-all the way to the present.

Kidnapping of over 12 million Africans, from their families, in the Middle Passage which killed off the majority of them

Forced to work in excruciating weather for hours, while not taught of their culture, or being allowed to read and write. Slave children sometimes were separated from their parents, lynching, rape, whippings, etc.

Once freed, there was still Jim Crow Laws, segregation, gentrification, the crack epidemic (which killed many inner-city blacks), the education system, police brutality/corrupt justice systems, the syphilis experiment, etc.

#66 Edited by WaveMotionCannon (5426 posts) - - Show Bio

@lady_liberty: this. A look on Twitter, Facebook or a number of message boards will reveal how pervasive racism is in America especially since Obama took office and then was re-elected.

It's everywhere, look at the backlash against the Cheerios commercial that featured an interracial couple, IT'S F*CKING CEREAL!!! Smh

#67 Posted by Lady_Liberty (8281 posts) - - Show Bio

@wavemotioncannon: I'm not sure internet trolls are the best way to gauge the feelings of a nation.

#68 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5426 posts) - - Show Bio

@lady_liberty: you're right but it is a window because a lot of people say what they really feel behind the anonymity of the Internet.

#69 Posted by Nefarious (20419 posts) - - Show Bio

Racial bias is a roadblock for getting justice in this country.

#70 Posted by OblivionKnight (3356 posts) - - Show Bio

@jnr6lil: Ever since Europeans settlers arrived within the U.S., the indigenous people were treated as second hand trash. So, the length of time of racism for each ethnicity is essentially the same.

I have searched around for the number of Native Americans within the Americas at the time of the arrival of European settlers. I have seen numbers ranging in the hundred millions to the tens of millions. At the very least, there were 12 million native Americans at the time. Now there are somewhere around 3 million (note: some of these numbers are a little skewed from the varying sources, so bear with me here) citizens. Unlike African Americans, they did not thrive, but dwindled.

They were subjected (unintentionally) to the diseases Europeans carried with them, such as smallpox.

I'm sure you know of how prominent the buffalo was for some tribes. The Europeans literally decimated the food supply of the native Americans, dwindling their means of survival.

Native Americans were systematically slaughtered for the land they owned (rightfully) and didn't want to give away. What must also be remembered is that both Africans and native Americans have interacted with Europeans for their firearms or "precious" resources. Many Africans were actually traded , not just captured, many native Americans, despite the horrors Europeans committed, were more than willing to trade things such as furs and food with them. Of course, this isn't to say either side deserved what they got in ANY way.

Each side has faced some disgustingly inappropriate amounts of torture in different aspects. But, from everything I've said and you've said, the native Americans have not recovered from everything they have faced and, instead, are essentially swept under the rug by society. We're so focused on the injustices occuring in other countries, we do nothing to help the citizens that struggle here.

But you know what? I take back what I said in my original post. Anyone that has been subjugated and oppressed has a right to "complain."

#71 Edited by Jnr6Lil (7705 posts) - - Show Bio

@oblivionknight: African-Americans haven't recovered either.

By the way you also need to take into account Native Americans could be anything, most of which today are descendants.

#72 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

Love and understanding are so much easier.

#73 Posted by YoungJustice (6846 posts) - - Show Bio

When I used to live in California, me and my Hispanic friend went to Walmart and we noticed that an employee was following us *sigh*

It's not even like we were dressed like we were going to steal, I had on a polo shirt and jeans and he had on a graphic tee with jean shorts.

#74 Edited by Strongarm (5857 posts) - - Show Bio

racist privileges in that country is interesting

#75 Edited by OblivionKnight (3356 posts) - - Show Bio

@jnr6lil: I feel African Anericans have made greater progress on their path to recovery.

True.

#76 Edited by Jnr6Lil (7705 posts) - - Show Bio

@oblivionknight: What progress? You see a few blacks get a governmental position and assume that applies for the entire 12 million of us in the nation, many of which still live in poverty.

Look at Chicago's death-rates, look at the incarceration rates and how its 90% African-American males.

#77 Edited by OblivionKnight (3356 posts) - - Show Bio

@jnr6lil: we are no longer slaves for one. You have African American police officers (which is amazing considering the hostility white police officers had towards blacks), doctors, senators, Congress members, mayors, and a black president (or, rather, a president of color.) is there a high rate of poverty? Definitely. I didn't deny that blacks are still struggling. However, we are certainly better off than we were 100 years ago 50 years ago, and even 10 years ago. Blacks ARE progressing, this is a fact.

The thing is, however, that we are progressing too fast for the country we live in. A country where facilities in ghettos still receive abysmal funds. The failings that blacks face are not failings because we haven't progressed (because we have; with things as simple as the removal of Jim Crow laws and blacks not having to move to the back of the bus) but because the country still holds minorities in a negative light. The failings of the public school system and laws come to mind.

When the number of blacks that go to college numbers in the millions and the Native Americans would number in the thousands, this is terrible. I have to check the percentages themselves since there are way more blacks than native Americans.

But the number of blacks in colleges have only gone up in the past 30 years, while native Americans have not seen such a substantial improvement.

#78 Edited by JulieDC (957 posts) - - Show Bio

Considering this country was built upon racism through slavery and what happened to the Native Americans, racism is deeply embedded in this country and will always be. For some, it is not as apparent because racism can be overt and covert. There are a lot of people that will condone racism because it does not affect their own lives or because it can be easily explained away due to it being covert. Then you have the willful ignorant that will state that minorities should "get over it" because slavery happened a long time ago, forgetting all about Jim Crow policies and the subtle racism that took its place once that became illegal in 1965. Its easier to pretend its not there because to admit its there is to have to do something about it, or openly admit you don't truly care. Its human nature to self segregate, so you have less investment in the issues of a group of people that aren't in your inner circle and even when your inner circle is mixed race, it still doesn't mean that much for example:

I am half black and half white. You'd think being raised in a white household would mean there was no racism...but you'd be wrong. I still have to constantly sit through family members and family friends constantly insulting black people and then being told "I am an exception" and even being told at one point "you are one of the good blacks but the rest of them...." and I kid you not, one family member stated, "I don't consider you black" even though I have the complexion of Halle Berry.

What truly aggravates me, is when I am turned into a spokesperson or am expected to take responsibility of the actions of other black people. I don't hold the white race accountable when a white guy shoots up a school. I don't like it when I am treated like a common thug because the only thing I have in common with said thug is race. That one hurts far more than being called names simply because it denies my individuality all the while other people expect you to give them theirs. I don't know if the people who do this, realize they are doing it (and you see some people on this thread doing it), but I really wish they'd stop it.

Sometimes people truly don't know they are saying things that are very patronizing. Usually you can tell if they fall into that category or the racist category by their willingness to keep defending what they said even after you tell them its offensive.

#79 Edited by Jnr6Lil (7705 posts) - - Show Bio

@oblivionknight said:

@jnr6lil: we are no longer slaves for one. You have African American police officers (which is amazing considering the hostility white police officers had towards blacks), doctors, senators, Congress members, mayors, and a black president (or, rather, a president of color.) is there a high rate of poverty? Definitely. I didn't deny that blacks are still struggling. However, we are certainly better off than we were 100 years ago 50 years ago, and even 10 years ago. Blacks ARE progressing, this is a fact.

The thing is, however, that we are progressing too fast for the country we live in. A country where facilities in ghettos still receive abysmal funds. The failings that blacks face are not failings because we haven't progressed (because we have; with things as simple as the removal of Jim Crow laws and blacks not having to move to the back of the bus) but because the country still holds minorities in a negative light. The failings of the public school system and laws come to mind.

When the number of blacks that go to college numbers in the millions and the Native Americans would number in the thousands, this is terrible. I have to check the percentages themselves since there are way more blacks than native Americans.

But the number of blacks in colleges have only gone up in the past 30 years, while native Americans have not seen such a substantial improvement.

By that logic than you oculd say Native Americans are progressing than also. Again Native American is more than just the people on reseverations. You have to relaize a reason the number could be in the thousands is because early Native Americans didn't leave many descendants part of which is due to the genocide that you mentioned. Majority of them are probably mestizos.

#80 Posted by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

The worst thing that ever happened to me personally was when my boss flat out told another employee that I was "a nice kid, but the wrong color" to date her family member. Not just bias, but willful ignorance.

#81 Edited by OblivionKnight (3356 posts) - - Show Bio

@jnr6lil: something else I think neither of us mentioned is the different situations for each group.

Blacks were brought here with nothing and have gained back MUCH than what we started with.

Native Americans had everything they needed, but it was all taken away.

One group started nothing and worked their way up, while the other had something, then nothing, and they have yet to reclaim (and possibly never will, sadly) what has been taken.

In this regard, I guess it comes down to opinion on who had it worse. It's somewhat like Naruto and Sasuke. One never had a family, the other had one but lost them all very quickly.

#82 Edited by Jnr6Lil (7705 posts) - - Show Bio

@oblivionknight: True

But Blacks had nothing, and were continued to be picked at.

Native Americans won't reclaim much because there's not many descendant of them (full-blooded wise). Alot of the Native Americans mated with other races and there wasn't many full-blooded descendants due to genocide.

#83 Posted by isaac_clarke (5448 posts) - - Show Bio

Not just for African Americans, but various ethnicities in general. How bad do you think it is? How far do we have to go to end it? Do you think it exists?

Where you live, what education you recieve, how much money you will make, what job you will get and more or less what kind of person you will ultimately be. And yeah it does exist; some however can break out of this mold set up by society, but not most.

#84 Edited by OblivionKnight (3356 posts) - - Show Bio

@jnr6lil: when you say picked at, do you mean taken from their native country or racially attacked (verbally and physically etc.)

Blacks have also been mixed with other races, especially native Americans. But you're right, not many will try to reclaim anything since there aren't many native Americans really in touch with their culture.

#85 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7705 posts) - - Show Bio

@oblivionknight: Both, really

Yes but if you were to take away all the mixed races, blacks are still the 2nd highest population in the US.

Many are generations removed. You'll probably see more of them in Canada.

#86 Posted by russellmania77 (15436 posts) - - Show Bio

idk

#87 Posted by OblivionKnight (3356 posts) - - Show Bio

@jnr6lil: I thought Hispanics passed us in population count.

And really? That's interesting. I never knew Canada had a high Native American population (or a Native American population that was prominent.)

#88 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7705 posts) - - Show Bio

@oblivionknight: No we're still higher I believe, you can check if you're not sure.

Hmm you're black? Funny, because I usually don't expect our kind to be reading comics, it's a cultural thing.

Yeah alot of Native Americans fleed to Canada, or were taken in by the British.

#89 Posted by OblivionKnight (3356 posts) - - Show Bio

@jnr6lil: yeah Im black and partial Native American on my mothers side, although I certainly am not in touch with it in any way.

And that's pretty interesting, I never knew that.

#91 Edited by SC (13120 posts) - - Show Bio

Racism for the most part usually is unreasonable and irrational. I mean the term even reflects old views and attitudes and terminology about ethnicity and human populations. So what I am saying is that racism, racial bias, is a type of failure to reason well. So as long as humans and people in America reason there will be the potential for racism and racial bias, since racism and racial bias is a consequence of reason or specifically lack of reason. The more America is reasonable, the more its people are reasonable the less racism and racial bias. So it will always exist in some some manner or form, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, its just that people learn and grow to be more reasonable and knowledgable and wise and considerate with learning, age, experience, greater awareness and so on. They can also be miseducated, indoctrinated, misinformed or taught to be selfish and biased but therein the challenge for America and other countries to promote the former over the latter. Thankfully technology makes that a lot easier, ditto research and studies that encourage discussion and open dialogue about racism and reason, ethnicity, gender, culture all that kind of thing. There are lots of different opinions and theories about the best way to tackle such issues, but I tend to think sincere and honest conversation works best. The best ideas and solutions will rise to the top eventually.

Some social tests have been done to try and give insight into attitudes concerning racism, a TV channel program in America a while back set up a scenario where a black teen, white teen and sexy blonde girl were all attempting to steal a bike from a park. With the white teen, the majority of people gave him the benefit of the doubt. A few people inquired as to what he was doing prompting him to imply he was stealing the bike, but the person inquiring just carried on. I think maybe two people attempted to alert authorities. The black teen was dressed the same and acted and answered questions the same way, but almost as soon as he started to saw the chain he was surrounded by people who realized he was stealing. After resetting the situation it happened again just as fast. No one was giving him the benefit of the doubt, and people were a lot more aggressive. Oh and hah when the pretty blonde girl was put in the situation guys actually helped her seal the bike. It was a TV show experiment so I can't tell you how rigorous their standards were, plus it was set in an area with predominantly white people walking around, I would have been curious if they chose an area with a majority of black people to see how they would react too. One thing I do know about racism, is that with the first two years of a persons life their exposure to a diverse array of ethnically diverse features in people in a neutral to positive context - as in friendly, smiling and non threatening would significantly reduce the potential for negative racial prejudice. As kids got older that effect lessened. In some ways it might seem kind of obvious - show children a lot of different ethnicities in neutral to positive situations and that child will grow up aware and knowledgable in the different ways people look without holding any sort of irrational fear that different facial features or skin color so on = dangerous, threatening, dumb or other negative qualities.

Another Current Affairs TV test had experts showing children and teens pictures of cartoon people in ambiguous situations to gauge reactions and answers. There would be pairs of pictures, identical except that the ethnicity/skin color of the two sole figures in the picture were switched. Now even though the pictures were identical, approximately a quarter of those tested would perceive the figure with their same skin tone in a positive light and the other figure in a negative light. White girl sees a white girl in a scene with a black girl picking up money and the black girl is stealing the money, but that same scene with the two figures switch and the white girl is picking up the money to give it to the black girl. Same happened with a black girl, a boy so on. Was just a quick reaction to an ambiguously drawn situation, the children didn't seem malicious or racist. Rather more like they didn't really think about it that carefully.

I haven't really looked into the Zimmerman case that in-depth, plus with 578 threads on it its hard to chose one, but a lot of discussion about race has been had there, some of the general statements made about racism have made me raise my eyebrow. Nothing to do with the case but just as far as in general, but black people, brown people, Asians, Polynesians, all very easily capable of being racist. To each other, to others, even to themselves. You can have people who harbor shallow ideas about people of their own ethnicity and threat them worse as bizarre as that may sound. Another funny human habit, is that its also possible for racists - to actually not always be racist all the time and also nice and kind to ethnicities or peoples they harbor racist attitudes towards. People are complex, and more than their skin color - ironic in the sense that a racist can surprisingly (sarcasm) be inconsistent with their rationale and criteria for views about ethnicity. Factors like age, occupation, accent, education, dress wear, hair style and so on. Many racists give a free pass to certain different ethnic persons who play sport for their favorite team. Not all racists are as cartoonish about their racism as Red Skull. Racism can be subtle, it can be implicit. Racism can overlap with other types of bigotry and discrimination. It can be softened and enhanced by other types of irrationality and or logic. Complicated stuff sometimes.

With the Zimmerman case I also personally stayed out because from the limited knowledge I have (which isn't ideal, the more knowledge and the more informed the better) but it sounds like both Zimmerman and Martin both made decisions which with hindsight could have been improved on. Thats not too controversial right? Most peoples actions and decisions with hindsight can be improved on, hence when there is a loss of life people will be concerned, invested and prompted to try and reason and rationalize what happened, why and so on, it leaves a lot of room to try and inject reason into situations their may not have been reason, just reactions and instincts and very basic human nature and behavior. Not that uncommon as far as people and behavior, our species is one that tends to prioritize and focus on feeling good and chasing those feels over say disciplined intellectual and rational thinking and consideration. Accusing Zimmerman of being racist would help explain some of the statements attributed to him speaking of thugs and the like. Okay so he considered Martin a thug because he is racist and racists will often see black kids and think thug. Its not always that easy, neat or clean though. It can be, since a lot of people can and have called others thugs just for skin color but racism is unreasonable, so you ironically trying to find reason in it as far as individuals and motivations can be tricky. Also people in general can be and behave and be motivated unreasonably in ways that aren't racism. Maybe Zimmerman's flight or fight mechanism triggered and he was experiencing adrenaline and he wasn't thinking. Conflict between people is often had when people feel provoked. It doesn't have to be that they were provoked, just the feeling is enough to create an ugly situation. Sometimes a person isn't just a racist they are just not that reasonable or considerate. Maybe if it were a sexy blonde girl in short shorts a person like Zimmerman would have called her a thug too or maybe he would have helped her steal a bike, who knows based on so little, its only easy when you can actually see how they behave and act in a number of situations with a number of factors.

Best way I know how to reduce racial bias and racism? Help people, all of them be happier, more intelligent, comfortable and secure people. Oh as well as trying to get them to be more reasonable, empathetic, knowledgable and exposed to neutral to positive and diverse ethnicities from an early age. Celebrate diversity and difference without the feeling or assumption that an individual is celebrating others but not themselves. Celebrate and appreciate depth and reason as well. When individuals are happy and secure and confident, and knowledgable, they'll want to help others overcome unfairness. Its less about me vs you, more about people helping people. A lot of this has already been happening actually in the last few decades without any major concentrated effort (well lots of individuals and groups have helped) but things like TV and magazines and newspapers and children's TV shows and the internet and computers - even better transport. All these things have contributed to creating more tolerant and reasonable people. Xenophobia is a human nature thing, but its long since passed its usefulness to our race (which includes us all) and now its a hindrance and regressive thing. Just some people don't have the opportunity to realize that like others do.

#93 Posted by _Cerberus_ (3448 posts) - - Show Bio

Blacks are more Racial biased, but other ethnics races are racist too but black slightly more so.

#94 Posted by SC (13120 posts) - - Show Bio

@edamame said:

@sc said:

Racism for the most part usually is unreasonable and irrational. I mean the term even reflects old views and attitudes and terminology about ethnicity and human populations. So what I am saying is that racism, racial bias, is a type of failure to reason well.

I'd say that racism is all about competition and money, and it appears to be very emotion-based (result of fear, anger and hate) as well.

Yes I would agree, and the threat of others from competition wouldn't even have to be real, just potential to trigger many of the reactions that eventually boil over and manifest itself as racism. Also many racists would dislike the idea of being seen as emotional or irrational, so there is a psychological element as far as how they attempt to justify their racist claims, behaviors, attitudes and so on. We end up with very dodgy "research and papers" that try to tell us about "race" heh heh.

(Haven't spoken to you in ages, hope you are well ^_^)

#95 Edited by Jnr6Lil (7705 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree SC. Racism has a lot to do with competition. Africans had already started developing civilization before whites were said to emerge. Once whites came, and developed their societys, they than started oppressing them, out of fear, that the people they saw as "savages" would one day rise up again.

#96 Posted by nick_hero22 (6871 posts) - - Show Bio

It's quite prevalent in terms of our standard beauty; an average white guy is more preferable to an above average looking ethnic man.

#97 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7705 posts) - - Show Bio

@nick_hero22: That's not necessarily true, you have to look at it to who's standard beauty. A black woman is going to like an ethnic man.

#98 Edited by nick_hero22 (6871 posts) - - Show Bio

@jnr6lil said:

@nick_hero22: That's not necessarily true, you have to look at it to who's standard beauty. A black woman is going to like an ethnic man.

I was referencing the majority with that statement, the truth is that most people believe that whites are more preferable and this kinda of mentality is seen in the black community where black guys chase after white women especially when they achieve a certain level of success.

#99 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7705 posts) - - Show Bio

@nick_hero22: True, but the majority in America is whites so naturally they would be attuned to their own kind.

#100 Edited by nick_hero22 (6871 posts) - - Show Bio

@jnr6lil said:

@nick_hero22: True, but the majority in America is whites so naturally they would be attuned to their own kind.

Agreed, but that shouldn't mean that the majority should ignore the standards of beauty in other communities.