• 143 results
#1 Edited by Pfcoolio14 (1139 posts) - - Show Bio

Not just for African Americans, but various ethnicities in general. How bad do you think it is? How far do we have to go to end it? Do you think it exists?

#2 Edited by cameron83 (7133 posts) - - Show Bio

@pfcoolio14 said:

Not just for African Americans, but various ethnicities in general. Do you think racial bias still exists?

Yes.For all races,and not just races,for people like homosexuals,transgenders,people of different religions (and non-religion),genders,etc...

EDIT:

Also,what's also bad is that some people completely ignore/deny it. I saw a video regarding Trayvon Martin's case and this guy basically DENIED the oppression that homosexuals,transgenders,etc face. It was....ignorant. It feels almost more than that.

#3 Edited by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio

Not just for African Americans, but various ethnicities in general. Do you think racial bias still exists?

yes, racial bias is everywhere

are we talking about a specific scale here?

#4 Posted by pooty (11009 posts) - - Show Bio

@pfcoolio14 said:

Yes.For all races,and not just races,for people like homosexuals,transgenders,people of different religions (and non-religion),genders,etc...

this

But there is A LOT of racial bias that is imagined though not real

#5 Posted by Pro_Nelson (1513 posts) - - Show Bio

YES YES YES YES YES....I do not know how clearer I could make this lol.

#7 Posted by Pfcoolio14 (1139 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Posted by Betatesthighlander1 (7462 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Posted by ARMIV2 (8410 posts) - - Show Bio

Does it exist? Of course it does. It festers and grows in the minds of the bitter, clouded, and from my experience, stinky. How bad is it? Well it sure ain't the 1960's anymore.
How do we end it? Love and education.

#10 Posted by Lady_Liberty (8279 posts) - - Show Bio

Most of our problems with racism come down to a disagreement on what racism is.

Personally I think many white Americans have a fairly mild and unconscious bias against those who are perceived to be black, and against what is seen as black culture.

#11 Posted by cameron83 (7133 posts) - - Show Bio

1. I can't exactly say. I can't speak in general,but many people (of various/all races) still stereotype and treat others with a clear racial bias. And as said,it doesn't really stop at race. I mean,it's not bad as 1966,but it's still pretty bad...although it seems to be getting better.

2. Can't really say. I mean,it really depends.Quit with media stereotypes and such...more exposure,etc...basically less ignorance. And tons of other things.Probably...idk

3. Stop ignorant stereotypes and generalizations and such. I often see children that are far more mature and logical than adults. They notice that they are of a different race,religion,etc but they don't care. People need to stop treating race as if it defines anything.

#12 Posted by Beefcake_Maximus (10 posts) - - Show Bio

Seeing how we have a black president its a lot less then people like to claim, there's still some going on but its just one of those things that will always be there and its no more racist here then anywhere else in the world.

#13 Posted by cameron83 (7133 posts) - - Show Bio

Most of our problems with racism come down to a disagreement on what racism is.

Personally I think many white Americans have a fairly mild and unconscious bias against those who are perceived to be black, and against what is seen as black culture.

Well,I don't exactly think so...I mean,certainly a bias exist,but it does on all sides. But more importantly,who exactly are we talking about. Sure,many white americans do,but who exactly? Are we talking about the people with a clear hatred? I mean,even if we're not I can see your point. Although it exists on all sides,sadly...

#14 Posted by cameron83 (7133 posts) - - Show Bio

I already know this,but at some point this thread is going to get heated to the point that it will cause me to just lose interest. I hate controversial crap and pointless arguing.

#15 Edited by Lady_Liberty (8279 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83:

Well,I don't exactly think so...I mean,certainly a bias exist,but it does on all sides.

Probably. Research indicates a certain amount of stereotyping is inevitable when humans encounter more than a hundred and fifty people.

But more importantly,who exactly are we talking about.

I'm talking about white Americans.

Are we talking about the people with a clear hatred?

I wasn't. Groups like the KKK, Hells Angels and the Aryan Brotherhood are known to harbour racial hatred and are quite proud of it. What's to talk about lol?

#17 Posted by cameron83 (7133 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83:

Well,I don't exactly think so...I mean,certainly a bias exist,but it does on all sides.

Probably. Research indicates a certain amount of stereotyping is inevitable when humans encounter more than a hundred and fifty people.

But more importantly,who exactly are we talking about.

I'm talking about white Americans.

Are we talking about the people with a clear hatred?

I wasn't. Groups like the KKK, Hells Angels and the Aryan Brotherhood are known to harbour racial hatred and are quite proud of it. What's to talk about lol?

Are we talking about Some white americans or in general? I think we are talking about the former....

#18 Edited by Jnr6Lil (7693 posts) - - Show Bio

Still exist, there's still white supremacist groups, there's still cocaine being distributed to the ghettos, still police brutality, still gentrification, still lack of education system in more urban areas, etc.

Obama is mixed, so the black president argument goes for both sides.

#19 Posted by Lady_Liberty (8279 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: I'm sorry, I don't understand your question?

#20 Posted by cameron83 (7133 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: I'm sorry, I don't understand your question?

When you say white americans,we ARE talking about some,right?

#21 Posted by Lady_Liberty (8279 posts) - - Show Bio

@cameron83: When I say white americans am I talking about white americans...? Yes.

#22 Posted by judasnixon (6403 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh my god yes......... You know how many times I have some crazy white dude run up on me, just to tell me that he hates black people! Just because we have the same skin color doesn't mean we have the same racist views........ I mean all the time..... Not even joking..... I'll be buying groceries, and some random A-hole who I never met come up to me, and declare his hate for black people.......... Who the $#!% does that?

The south is @#!$ up.........

#23 Edited by cameron83 (7133 posts) - - Show Bio

@lady_liberty said:

@cameron83: When I say white americans am I talking about white americans...? Yes.

I don't think you noticed the word "some". There is a difference in talking about "in general" and "some",isn't there?

@judasnixon said:

Oh my god yes......... You know how many times I have some crazy white dude run up on me, just to tell me that he hates black people! Just because we have the same skin color doesn't mean we have the same racist views........ I mean all the time..... Not even joking..... I'll be buying groceries, and some random A-hole who I never met come up to me, and declare his hate for black people.......... Who the $#!% does that?

I've had the same thing happen to me....I mean,they don't really come up to me and just tell me,but if the opportunity comes...except my situation is with black people. Of course,there are some people who I know that are of different races/ethnicities that say the same of white people,black people,etc...they simply become dead to me.

I freaking hate those idiots...some are past friends.

EDIT: I've also had some white people I know kinda say it..

#24 Posted by biggkeem89 (1421 posts) - - Show Bio

Racial biased exists in every facet of American life. Our society is a White( by "white", generally Anglo-Saxon protestant) centered society, with everyone else in progressive lesser levels of socio-economic and political strata. This is because the U.S. foundation and history has been mostly dominated by the ideas and values of this group, and thus the social strata shows this. Generally, things that are considered "white" are considered better than things relegated to other races. For example, often times when a person of another ethnic group outside of "white" starts to do things like use proper grammar, dress in a more middle or upper class fashion, or do other things, they are considered to be "acting white"(I've even heard the term "Negro Saxon" in the case of black people). This is because higher class values and attributes are considered "white" due to those traditionally in power sharing that background. Not all minorities are treated with the same bias, however. Asians are generally considered the "model minority", and usually receive more positive biased stereotypes, such as intellect, work ethic, etc, which allows them to occupy higher positions in society over other ethnic groups like Hispanics or blacks. This stratification is also malleable, as seen with groups like the Irish, Catholics, Jews, Asians, etc, that have occupied various positions in the U.S. social structure, and thus have had differing biases over the decades(hispanics, blacks, and homosexuals have generally maintained their positions in society, however, with growing acceptance of alternative lifestyles and the push for gay rights, this might be changing for homosexuals. Only time will tell). But in all, racial bias does exist on a grand scale, and will not ever not exist until the ideas of racial separations(biologically races don't exist, and the groups we maintain today aren't "races" but ethnic groups shaped on various traits that are not biological, i.e. country of origin, religious beliefs, social values, etc) are demolished and the White-on-top power structure is recentered to a more egalitarian one where value is based on actions and content of character and not ethnic origins

#25 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7693 posts) - - Show Bio

Racial biased exists in every facet of American life. Our society is a White( by "white", generally Anglo-Saxon protestant) centered society, with everyone else in progressive lesser levels of socio-economic and political strata. This is because the U.S. foundation and history has been mostly dominated by the ideas and values of this group, and thus the social strata shows this. Generally, things that are considered "white" are considered better than things relegated to other races. For example, often times when a person of another ethnic group outside of "white" starts to do things like use proper grammar, dress in a more middle or upper class fashion, or do other things, they are considered to be "acting white"(I've even heard the term "Negro Saxon" in the case of black people). This is because higher class values and attributes are considered "white" due to those traditionally in power sharing that background. Not all minorities are treated with the same bias, however. Asians are generally considered the "model minority", and usually receive more positive biased stereotypes, such as intellect, work ethic, etc, which allows them to occupy higher positions in society over other ethnic groups like Hispanics or blacks. This stratification is also malleable, as seen with groups like the Irish, Catholics, Jews, Asians, etc, that have occupied various positions in the U.S. social structure, and thus have had differing biases over the decades(hispanics, blacks, and homosexuals have generally maintained their positions in society, however, with growing acceptance of alternative lifestyles and the push for gay rights, this might be changing for homosexuals. Only time will tell). But in all, racial bias does exist on a grand scale, and will not ever not exist until the ideas of racial separations(biologically races don't exist, and the groups we maintain today aren't "races" but ethnic groups shaped on various traits that are not biological, i.e. country of origin, religious beliefs, social values, etc) are demolished and the White-on-top power structure is recentered to a more egalitarian one where value is based on actions and content of character and not ethnic origins

This

#26 Posted by mikethekiller (8370 posts) - - Show Bio

Dat knowledge

#27 Posted by cameron83 (7133 posts) - - Show Bio

damn......

also

@sc

@lykopis

@kuonphobos

I wanna hear what they gotta say :P

#28 Edited by Edamame (28062 posts) - - Show Bio
@jnr6lil said:

there's still cocaine being distributed to the ghettos

A boycott would stop that immediately.

@jnr6lil said:

Still exist, there's still white supremacist groups

Yup. America has a rather large Neo-Nazi population. It isn't as large as Russia's, but it certainly is large. There is a documentary called "From Russia With Hate". It addresses this very issue. There were even some Nazi sympathizers in America during the World War II era. Not to mention the Ku Klux Klan, which has existed in this country since the 19th Century.

#29 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7693 posts) - - Show Bio

@edamame: Not exactly, The CIA are the ones who do it

#30 Posted by AweSam (7373 posts) - - Show Bio

@judasnixon: Goes both ways. I see black people who dislike me because I'm white all the time. Sad world.

#32 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7693 posts) - - Show Bio

@edamame: Think people forget about it is because it isn't wide-spread. The majority of the blacks who dislike whites are the ones, who are retaliating in some form, for what they feel was oppression on their race, which while bad is understandable.

#33 Posted by AweSam (7373 posts) - - Show Bio

@edamame: Because only white people are racist... DUHHH

#34 Posted by cameron83 (7133 posts) - - Show Bio

@edamame said:
@jnr6lil said:

there's still cocaine being distributed to the ghettos

A boycott would stop that immediately.

@jnr6lil said:

Still exist, there's still white supremacist groups

Yup. America has a rather large Neo-Nazi population. It isn't as large as Russia's, but it certainly is large. There is a documentary called "From Russia With Hate". It addresses this very issue. There were even some Nazi sympathizers in America during the World War II era. Not to mention the Ku Klux Klan, which has existed in this country since the 19th Century.

Also, even though Asian-Americans are often regarded as the "model minority" and having the highest incomes and educational attainment rates, recent immigrants from Africa have surpassed Asian-Americans in these aspects. Some people don't know this. Another thing that some people don't know about is the Antisemitism that exists in America. Of all the groups in the U.S., the Jews face the most hate crimes and there are people out there who love to say that "the Jews run America". There has even been some anti-Chinese sentiment due to the outsourcing of jobs, and of all the groups in the U.S., the Native Americans suffer from the highest poverty rates.

People will be ignorant and hate what they see as different. And this is for every race,not just 1 specific race.

@edamame said:
@awesam said:

Goes both ways. I see black people who dislike me because I'm white all the time. Sad world.

This sentiment exists, too. Many people forget about this. I don't know why, though.

@jnr6lil said:

Not exactly, The CIA are the ones who do it

Oh.

also this...

#35 Edited by BiteMe-Fanboy (7705 posts) - - Show Bio

Yea racism is still around.

And there are racist people who are black, white, native american, asian, etc.

Just the way it is.

I ain't going to get into all that government bull, and try to tell you our society does this and that with racism.

Point is, racism still exists, and always will.

The end.

#36 Edited by Dabee (2383 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, it's pretty prevalent. Obviously, as a white male, I don't really get to experience it. I'm not, however, one of those people that thinks that means it doesn't exist. I've seen it a lot where I live, and I live in a pretty tolerant, progressive area.

#38 Posted by cameron83 (7133 posts) - - Show Bio

@edamame said:

@cameron83: From what I've noticed, racism seems to be about competition and money. Then there are the emotions, such as fear, anger and hate. I don't know if you agree with me on this, but I was just looking at what happened throughout human history, and this seems to be the case.

@awesam said:

Because only white people are racist... DUHHH

-__-

@jnr6lil said:

Think people forget about it is because it isn't wide-spread. The majority of the blacks who dislike whites are the ones, who are retaliating in some form, for what they feel was oppression on their race, which while bad is understandable.

I guess that's true. In other words, it is a revenge thing. Cause and effect. If you treat someone poorly, he/she will most likely get back at you. Eventually.

Hm. I see...I think I can agree with that.

also LOL at awesam

#39 Edited by AweSam (7373 posts) - - Show Bio

@edamame: Hey... people actually think that

#40 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it is pretty damn Bad. M'Kay.

Although I will acknowledge that the USA ranks HIGH in the World at large as far as tolerance is concerned overall. So there is that in USAs favor.

The USA has no defined Communal Identity IMO, Unless we are attacked from abroad then we are all buddy buddy real quick. I saw that happen myself.

#42 Posted by Ohgawd (129 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably a good deal but it's not entirely unwarranted. After researching the FBI numbers, the conclusion is that an analysis of 'single offender victimization figures' from the FBI for 2007 finds blacks committed 433,934 crimes against whites, eight times the 55,685 whites committed against blacks. Interracial rape is almost exclusively black on white — with 14,000 assaults on white women by African Americans in 2007. Not one case of a white sexual assault on a black female was found in the FBI study.

Maybe members of the black community should have some self-respect and stand up against the stereotypes in their own community. Of course, their "heroes" are too busy getting rich by rapping about crime, violence, and drug use to care.

If you want your group to stop being treated like criminals, you need to stand up and demand better from other members of your group. As long as the 'thug' culture continues to be popular among blacks, we're going to continue to have these problems. At some point, which I believe we have long since passed, the struggles of the black community can't simply be blamed on white bigotry.

#43 Edited by SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 (6360 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh great, one of these threads.

#44 Edited by kuonphobos (4898 posts) - - Show Bio

One point to consider is that the level of racial bias will differ in varying regions of the USA. I believe that there is a direct correlation between heterogeneous communities and homogeneous communities and the resulting levels of racial bias. There is also a direct correlation between education and racial bias. This education can take the form of "book learnin" or "life experience". In other words people who venture out into the world and experience other cultures gradually will have any fundamental presuppositions eroded in the face of new experiences.

I personally think that when the word "racism" is used sometimes what it is actually referring to is merely the variant manifestations of culture not necessarily anything specifically related to genetics.

I reject outright any bias based upon genetic criteria.

But I don't necessarily think someone's bias against a particular cultural manifestation is wrong anymore than I think immigrants gathering into small communities which share language and culture is wrong. I certainly don't believe it can or should be called "racist". It is human nature. It is a survival instinct and a strategy which is largely unconscious.

I don't believe that a desire to preserve and celebrate one's linguistic or cultural heritage is wrong either whether it be ancient or a relatively modern manifestation like the holiday Kwanzaa. These traditions which make society colorful and vibrant and interesting.

If there is any real issue it is when one begins to move from a point of celebrating one cultural manifestation as "one among many" to "my culture is superior to yours". Because then we have to question the evidence for that and inevitably that line of reasoning will lead back to some genetic argument.

And one last thought. Today President Obama related the experiences of African-American men observing folks locking their doors or crossing the streets or clutching their purses when they draw near. And I consciously attempted to place myself into the shoes of my African-American friends and empathize with how that must make them feel. I get it. In the Philippines I was reminded daily that I was white and that for many young college aged Filipinos I was not welcome in their country. They cursed me from upper floor windows and threw ice and rocks at me. I really do get it. It hurts. It really sucks.

#45 Posted by cameron83 (7133 posts) - - Show Bio

One point to consider is that the level of racial bias will differ in varying regions of the USA. I believe that there is a direct correlation between heterogeneous communities and homogeneous communities and the resulting levels of racial bias. There is also a direct correlation between education and racial bias. This education can take the form of "book learnin" or "life experience". In other words people who venture out into the world and experience other cultures gradually will have any fundamental presuppositions eroded in the face of new experiences.

I personally think that when the word "racism" is used sometimes what it is actually referring to is merely the variant manifestations of culture not necessarily anything specifically related to genetics.

I reject outright any bias based upon genetic criteria.

But I don't necessarily think someone's bias against a particular cultural manifestation is wrong anymore than I think immigrants gathering into small communities which share language and culture is wrong. I certainly don't believe it can or should be called "racist". It is human nature. It is a survival instinct and a strategy which is largely unconscious.

I don't believe that a desire to preserve and celebrate one's linguistic or cultural heritage is wrong either whether it be ancient or a relatively modern manifestation like the holiday Kwanzaa. These traditions which make society colorful and vibrant and interesting.

If there is any real issue it is when one begins to move from a point of celebrating one cultural manifestation as "one among many" to "my culture is superior to yours". Because then we have to question the evidence for that and inevitably that line of reasoning will lead back to some genetic argument.

And one last thought. Today President Obama related the experiences of African-American men observing folks locking their doors or crossing the streets or clutching their purses when they draw near. And I consciously attempted to place myself into the shoes of my African-American friends and empathize with how that must make them feel. I get it. In the Philippines I was reminded daily that I was white and that for many young college aged Filipinos I was not welcome in their country. They cursed me from upper floor windows and threw ice and rocks at me. I really do get it. It hurts. It really sucks.

Wow. That is a very well-said post with very good points (that I might draw from).

Although,it sucks what happened to you...I mean,I don't think that that will happen to you with other Filipinos. I mean,I think most are nice....

Although yeah,that does happen to many african americans today...it sucks. I mean,to stereotype and brand people as criminals just as the stereotype goes. To assume things of them simply due to their race..it really is freaking petty,and sadly this happens to all people...but again,I am sorry that that happened to you.

Although,personally,for me, I don't think I've ever been discriminated against because of my race. Not that it doesn't happen to many other black people and people of other ethnicities/races,but I think that it's only happened to me once or twice...maybe it's because I don't go out much....

#46 Posted by lykopis (10753 posts) - - Show Bio

All of this up above. All of it.

#47 Posted by Wolverine08 (40591 posts) - - Show Bio

*Stand of applause*

#48 Edited by Jnr6Lil (7693 posts) - - Show Bio

@ohgawd said:

Probably a good deal but it's not entirely unwarranted. After researching the FBI numbers, the conclusion is that an analysis of 'single offender victimization figures' from the FBI for 2007 finds blacks committed 433,934 crimes against whites, eight times the 55,685 whites committed against blacks. Interracial rape is almost exclusively black on white — with 14,000 assaults on white women by African Americans in 2007. Not one case of a white sexual assault on a black female was found in the FBI study.

Maybe members of the black community should have some self-respect and stand up against the stereotypes in their own community. Of course, their "heroes" are too busy getting rich by rapping about crime, violence, and drug use to care.

If you want your group to stop being treated like criminals, you need to stand up and demand better from other members of your group. As long as the 'thug' culture continues to be popular among blacks, we're going to continue to have these problems. At some point, which I believe we have long since passed, the struggles of the black community can't simply be blamed on white bigotry.

You're stereotyping rappers.

#49 Posted by BR_Havoc (1285 posts) - - Show Bio

@lady_liberty said:

I don't think you noticed the word "some". There is a difference in talking about "in general" and "some",isn't there?

@judasnixon said:

I've had the same thing happen to me....I mean,they don't really come up to me and just tell me,but if the opportunity comes...except my situation is with black people. Of course,there are some people who I know that are of different races/ethnicities that say the same of white people,black people,etc...they simply become dead to me.

I freaking hate those idiots...some are past friends.

EDIT: I've also had some white people I know kinda say it..

I am Canadian and there is a bias here as well I just find it's not as noticeable. First time I have ever really seen a real bias was when I went to Alabama for a Co workers wedding. When I was there I was just walking around and some white guy came up to me and warned me that there is an awful lot of "N*****'s" down the road so watch out. To what I replied what the hell is wrong with you?. On that same trip I went into a restaurant and ordered and I noticed a lot of people looking at me and the waitress even said to me not many people like you come in here. At first I thought she meant Canadians but she went further saying most white people come in here because they're lost not to eat. It was an odd trip seeing how backwards the south is.

#50 Edited by OblivionKnight (3356 posts) - - Show Bio

I think of all the races in America, only the Native Anericans have a right to still be angry at those in power. I mean, the destruction of your culture, rape of your women, and theft of your land? It's an incredibly terrible thing.

Many people seem to have just forgotten about them. It's just horrible what has occurred to them. If a Native American were to go to a white person and say these things, I would actually empathize with them.