Times Are A-Changing…

darknight150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Edited By darknight150

At this point in the week, everyone who actually cares has read enough news articles and blogs surrounding DC’s recent Before Watchmen announcement to have their own “educated” opinion. While I’m not here to speculate about how this recent development will ruin the mythos surrounding the original title (which it could) or contemplate how the writers and artists responsible for this undertaking could exploit the expansion of such a universe, I am here to expand on why it’s the wrong move. I among with countless others, have been itching for a sequel which would explore the limits of Alan Moore’s work. While this is certainly fresh content, in more than one manner of speaking it’s moving in the wrong direction.

I remember first reading Watchmen when my aunt brought it to my attention at the age of ten. Arguably controversial content for someone of that age, but nevertheless I was hooked. Several readings later and I had studied every page and eaten up any material concerning what was next. Next came the film adaptation which I actually enjoyed, of course not without issues here and there. I think in my mind Watchmen’s genius was that it existed in a universe untouched for so long that its characters were more than printed faces and dialogue.

This is where my concern for what the future holds stems from. The news of a prequel is bothersome for two reasons, the first of which is that prequels, from what I’ve experienced, almost always leads to content that doesn’t mesh well with the original. After reading several articles interviewing the new creative team, a common undertone is becoming increasingly apparent. All of these teams argue that the Watchmen universe should be filled with new stories and perspectives. Characters such as Nite Owl and Silk Spectre should have their early adventures explored. My one complaint with this flawed motivation is simply labeling BeforeWatchmen as new. Instead of using the template provided by Alan Moore to fuel these back stories, why not truly move forward with an actual sequel?

Let there be no confusion here. I’m not implying that the depth of each character can’t be replicated to expand their history. I’m simply saying there is nothing to be gained by doing so. No matter what encounters can be experienced, all roads lead to the conclusion of Watchmen. They might be entertaining, however Moore’s characters were strategically placed within his world. I might be alone in this assumption; however, I truly believe that each of his characters posses the perfect amount of depth without a prequel.

The second concern I have with this announcement is what it ultimately says about where DC holds its priority in regard to gaining readership. I’m not an expert in marketing and can in no way gauge who these releases will appeal to. I can only speculate that by holding onto Watchmen for dear life, it ruins an opportunity to produce an original title that will attract readers for years to come. The flip side, of course, is introducing Watchmen to a younger audience, along with a prequel to give “context”. This is an issue that plagues every avenue of media: whether the reintroduction (or reimagining) of a franchise will strengthen its social impact or simply be portrayed as milking easy profits. In this particular case, I choose to believe neither.

While I can appreciate the contribution of a new perspective to theWatchmen universe, I feel as though no matter what title it’s given, it won’t truly feel tied to the original. The names and locations may be heavily tied to what Alan Moore established; however, it shouldn’t be treated as so. This inevitably brings up the discussion of how no one should touch the material Moore wrote nearly twenty years ago. I don’t buy into that particular piece of ideology and believe any artistic property of DC Comics is fair game. That being said, if nothing has been done in that period of time, there will be a lacking in transition.

Please don’t mistaken my criticism for condemnation. I’ve always considered myself to have an open mind. While the concerns I’ve voiced above might hold water, it is simply speculation until the entirety of Before Watchmen is released. Unlike those boycotting The Dark Knight Rises because of Bane’s voice or Catwoman’s costume, I reserve the right to be proven wrong. Until then I’ll biting my lip and crossing my fingers.

nickthedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By nickthedevil

Hater gonna hate.

nickthedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By nickthedevil

Haters*** Gonna Hate :P i never set expectations to such things... I enter the theatre, or open the books (that have hate) like "before Watchmen" with a clean slate and hope for the best... This usually succeeds in making it so much better and enjoyable.

Avatar image for thewitchinghour
TheWitchingHour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By TheWitchingHour

The thing that's wonderful about comics is their ability to melt into a universal narrative while simultaneously standing apart from the rest of the pack. Watchmen is a perfect example of this trait. The original series will always be iconic. I don't think it's in danger of being ruined anytime soon. And as long as you feel that a puritanical view concerning Watchmen is the best way to go then that of course is your right. Even if the mythos is added too you don't necessarily have to acknowledge that. You could view it as a character examination and nothing more. So I think that's all the more reason to welcome an amendment to the Watchmen universe. If it's good then you can welcome it with open arms. If it's bad then you can simply ignore it and read Alan Moore's original version again. No big deal.

Avatar image for thewholedamnshow
TheWholeDamnShow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By TheWholeDamnShow

Wait.. they are making a new Watchmen? Oh sh*t...

darknight150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By darknight150

Thanks for the feedback! Don't worry I'm not a hater, more so someone who ponders the implication of resurrecting and building upon material twenty years old. I know nothing can ruin the original Watchmen.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By ssejllenrad

@TheWholeDamnShow said:

Wait.. they are making a new Watchmen? Oh sh*t...

A bunch of prequels. I kinda like the idea though. If they're good then I'll enjoy them and if they're bad then I'll just view them as pseudo-canon cause they're not made by Moore.