Things that prevent me from taking people serious

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By joshmightbe

1. the words people use- If someone writes out a well thought out statement with good vocabulary I can respect it even if I disagree with it but the very instant a silly made up word pops up like for instance the word redonkulous I immediately start to consider it silly  
2. Ignorance of the subject matter- simply put if you have no idea what you're talking about its probably better to avoid saying anything 
3. being overly sensitive about people disagreeing with you its one thing to argue your point but when people treat every different opinion as a personal insult its just annoying  
Now if a conversation is meant to not be taken seriously these things don't bother me but when its a serious conversation its probably best to at least try to sound like an adult  
PS if you are a child this article doesn't apply to you 

Ebbm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Ebbm

IMO the people who get the angriest over something seem to be the most misinformed about it. When they're confronted about why they feel the way they do they stutter and mutter incoherently. I'm basing this mostly off of political rallies and movements. ie the Tea Party

MrSeaman70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By MrSeaman70

1) People who have a reputation of talking big but have no initiative to make a change.

2) Women who claim to be open minded and that anybody's welcomed to be their friend only to hand-pick a select class of people to hang out with. 

3) Salesmen and promoters - they'll say anything you want to hear just so you buy their goods / services.

4) Big comic giants who create nonsensical megacrossovers just to suck people's money dry.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#4  Edited By SC  Moderator

1. Genuine willingness to understand/open mindedness.  
2. Capacity to understand/open mindedness.  

I'll take anyone seriously, as long as they are genuine and willing. If a person has an absolute stance on something, and is trying to forcibly, proselytize others, including me, eh what's the point really? If they want to listen to their thoughts, opinions and views, thats great, but a one sided insistence that they are right, and that I need to be right as well? Its not like I want them to take my opinion or perspective and adopt it as their own way of living, by me sharing it either. Usually in most cases though, this is a sign of lack of education, knowledge or just a demonstration of ignorance. Those things i am okay with, since all of us are lacking in some way, but most of us know this to some extent, the people I can't take seriously, are the ones that aren't knowing.  

Which leads to my second part. No point in taking a tree seriously. It only talks on windy days and doesn't say much of anything, even when it does fall down. No point in taking my kid sister at age 4 seriously when she demands 100 pieces of chocolate and then offers arguments on why she should get it. I could explain why as I would to an adult, but I have to understand she won't understand like an adult. So of course I won't take her insistence to seriously. This of course applies to more people than just the young. Mental health issues, people actually limited biologically, mentally. Things that are limited by those things as well of course) by the same token, I would not expect Living tribunal to take my ideas and opinions too seriously in the grand scheme of things. *smile*  

So I tend to take a lot of people seriously, relatively of course though. 

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Mercy_

@joshmightbe said:

when people treat every different opinion as a personal insult its just annoying

Couldn't agree more.

Lance Uppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Lance Uppercut
@MrSeaman70 said:

1) People who have a reputation of talking big but have no initiative to make a change.

2) Women who claim to be open minded and that anybody's welcomed to be their friend only to hand-pick a select class of people to hang out with. 

3) Salesmen and promoters - they'll say anything you want to hear just so you buy their goods / services.

4) Big comic giants who create nonsensical megacrossovers just to suck people's money dry.

Agreed about most. 
Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

I try to use good vocabulary however dyslexia does tend to get in the way, even with the miraculous spell checker.

cyberninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By cyberninja

I'm sorry but I just can't listen to people who act holier than thou like they know everything. I rather be in company of people who don't take life TOO seriously.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Billy Batson

Never take the internet seriously. 

BB

Westlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Westlife

I take everyone seriously but myself. I'm really big on self-deprecation.

Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Amegashita
@Billy Batson:   
Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Billy Batson
@Amegashita:  

I'll see your video and I raise you with mine: 

BB

Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Amegashita
@Billy Batson:  LMAO.  I had a funny youtube video to post, but I'm pretty sure it's not ComicVine legal, so I concede defeat.
Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Billy Batson
@Amegashita said:
@Billy Batson:  LMAO.  I had a funny youtube video to post, but I'm pretty sure it's not ComicVine legal, so I concede defeat.

Victory. 

BB

cyberninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cyberninja
@Billy Batson: NOT SO FAST! 

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Billy Batson
@cyberninja said:

Here:

BB

difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By difficlus
@joshmightbe said:
1. the words people use- If someone writes out a well thought out statement with good vocabulary I can respect it even if I disagree with it but the very instant a silly made up word pops up like for instance the word redonkulous I immediately start to consider it silly    
 2. Ignorance of the subject matter- simply put if you have no idea what you're talking about its probably better to avoid saying anything   
 3. being overly sensitive about people disagreeing with you its one thing to argue your point but when people treat every different opinion as a personal insult its just annoying  Now if a conversation is meant to not be taken seriously these things don't bother me but when its a serious conversation its probably best to at least try to sound like an adult   
  PS if you are a child this article doesn't apply to you 
Gotta say the last one if the major one for me. It really bugs me
cyberninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By cyberninja
@Billy Batson said:
@cyberninja said:

Here:

BB

I just lost another thousand brain cells watching Bill O'Reilly talk out of his butt, DAMN YOU BILLY! >:(
joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By joshmightbe
@Billy Batson: I wasn't just talking about the internet, just conversation in general. Also I know not everything is serious and if people are having a purposefully non serious conversation I have no issue but when people are claiming to have a serious conversation about something they see as important these things take away from their point
joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By joshmightbe
@Omega Ray Jay: I'm not talking about grammatical errors or misspelling I'm referring to silly made up words and intentional misuse of words 
Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By Kal'smahboi
@joshmightbe said:
when people treat every different opinion as a personal insult its just annoying 
This. But I do get a little peeved when people argue facts with opinion. "You may have read about current empirical studies on the subject, but I disagree."
Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Billy Batson
@joshmightbe:  

ahh gotcha. I agree with your points. 

BB

.o0Johnny0o.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By .o0Johnny0o.

People who enter into a debate like it's a fight rather than.. you know.. a debate.

Also, something that takes away a lot of legitimacy from an argument is when people, in an entirely serious debate about say politics, start saying 'Well with great power comes great responsibility' as a throw away tidbit of 'wisdom'  
All I can imagine is the ghost of Uncle Ben shouting 'woaahh those words are being taken out of context'