Things that annoy you in horror movies...

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Wolfrazer

Now some enjoy a good horror movie every now and again, just watching them to see others get hacked up or whatever..good movies to just lay back and have a good time watching without having to worry about anything too specific. However at times, there are some stuff that can annoy people about horror movies...now yes a horror movie is suppose to make people scared and watch as the characters on screen are all killed...and so the characters have to act dumb and all that to give the killer something to shoot for and all. But, you don't need to have stupid characters to have a good horror movie now yes some will say if the characters are smart then how would they die? Well even a smart person could be killed, it just wouldn't be as easy when dealing with a dumb one...but anyway here are things that annoy me personally in a horror movie. 
==== 

1. Either a couple survives, or the female does- Now see this in particular kinda bothers me, not that there is anything wrong with it but it seems this way in every horror movie out there(majority). I can only think of 3 movies out of my head, where the male is the one to survive every other movie its always a couple or a female. Why does this bother me? Well...because it seems to make it like guys can't fight their way out of a paper bag, now yes in nature males are usually the ones to protect and fight off the bad guy however they try to do this with a killer and they don't even put up a decent fight and end up dying as the girl runs off. 

2. Cops being stupid- This is probably my biggest pet peeve of all, now yes if the cop in question was smart then the movie probably wouldn't last long right? Wrong...you don't need dumb cops, to have a long horror movie. Look at Halloween 1, 2, 4, and 5 Sheriff Brackett and Meeker actually used their heads instead of going off to try and do their own thing, good examples of smart cops in horror movies. 

3. Cliche problems- Now I know theres only so many ways you could do a horror movie, so this is one of the more light reasons. "Uh oh, flat tire" "Oh no my phone stopped working, when it was working fine an hour ago!" "Hey our friend is missing, one of us should go and try to find them." Well...lets see here, if you have a flat tire why do you not have a spare? Your phone stopped working huh? Don't worry about it, if you have a car keep driving don't stop to try and find a phone to use. Friend is missing? Don't just send 1 person, go as a group and try and find the friend. 

4. So called marksmen/hunters- This is one of my bigger problems I have with horror movies, ok so one of the characters is supposedly a good marksmen and during the movie usually the characters can find a gun and they take it. BUT when they actually come across the killer, somehow all those skills for that one character goes flying out the window and dies....its like really?? Now I know a few horror movies, the killer actually does get shot and the guy dies anyway but if a character is portrayed as someone who knows how to use a firearm even if they die, prove to the audience he was a good shot. 

===== 

Well those are my 4 things that annoy me with horror movies, would love to see if anyone else has things that annoy them about horror movies...details explaining why are also good so lets see em folks!

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1
deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The black person always gotta die first..

ms__omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ms__omega

@_slim_ said:

Yes! that bugs the crap out of me.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

How the camera man just stands there and watches.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Wolfrazer

Was only a matter of time till the "black guy dies first" came up lol.

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Aiden Cross

The 'hey! Lets split up!' thing. Yes, theres a serial killer so its an awesome idea to split up and make yourself an easier target....

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Magian

Hiding in the basement or the attic where there is no way easy out.

Inner_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Inner_Demon

When they're less "scary" than "startling." There's no deep art to just making the audience jump, any idiot with a rubber mask and a dark corner to spring out of can do that. When a movie depends on that, rather than building up a atmosphere and developing the antagonist as someone/something that is genuinely terrifying, it loses my interest. Killing aggressively stupid victims because you are kind of sneaky and have something sharp does not make you a "monster."

ms__omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ms__omega

Going somewhere there is no phone signal or the phone isn't charged.

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By nefarious

What annoys me is when the people fall when running from a psycho. 

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Wolfrazer
@Nefarious:  YES that does annoy me so much! 

Oh another one, somehow the characters are never able to find or arm themselves with weapons to defend themselves.
nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By nefarious
@Wolfrazer: Yes, they never look hard enough for an object. That annoys me, too. Try harder, they must.
ms__omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ms__omega

Anyone that is having sex or about to is gonna die wait nvm I think that's kind of funny actually.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When the serial killer almost has enough corpses to complete his art project and then some two-bit hussy has to mess everything up.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Wolfrazer
@Ms. Omega:  True lol, sex is bad! It'll get you killed in horror movies! XD
JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JonSmith

Stupidity.

ms__omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ms__omega

@Wolfrazer: Makes me laugh every time I am like you idiots don't fool around in that creepy place.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By SoA

@Wolfrazer: watch behind the mask : the rise of leslie vernon , it explains a lot.

1. if you want a guy saving the day getting the girl , that's where action movies come in , thats what they where made for . horror films end up having the least likely person coming out on top . so the cheerleader saves the day but her jock bf got his head lopped off .

2. cops being ignorant and cluless serve better than a swat team busting in and gunning down the killer 20 mins into the film.

3. there are movies where this doesnt occur but to defend it , how else will the killer lure or seize the opportunity to do his thing ?

4. sends a spot of realism . alot of hunters/marksmen who never dealt with armed combat will flinch and mess up. soldiers are trained to kill armed opponents and given a basic description on what to look for. (reason why the stormtroopers in the star wars movies gun down the rebels but suck at shooting luke, han, and leia fyi) so they see a guy dressed as a civilian they would be hesitant to fire.

not arguing with ya just providing a counterpoint. my only thing with horror films , unneeded sequels/prequels. a lot of movies should just stop at the first film. some are deserving of a second or third but others... not so much

artgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By artgamer

when they exaggerate with the blood, i know it's horror and everything need to be all bloody and gory, but come on!

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Wolfrazer
@SoA:  

1. Point taken but still, the guy can be the last one to survive it doesn't always need to be a couple or the least likely one to do so. 

2. While true, cops don't need to be watered down and so stupid, for a killer you don't really need a SWAT team. Halloween films I mentioned, the sheriffs did good in trying to capture Michael but they weren't so stupid that they got themselves killed.  (Except for the police station in Halloween 4....though we never really see how that went down.)

3. Ya, that was really more a lighter point like something that irked me but thats just about it. 

4. While true, there is a killer trying to kill them and their friends I don't think anyone would really hesitant against killing someone who is coming at them with a knife or chainsaw or whatever especially when said killer just killed their friends and seems to have no remorse for doing so.
ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ARMIV2

The crappy, predictable endings.

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

@_slim_ said:

@ArtGamer said:

when they exaggerate with the blood, i know it's horror and everything need to be all bloody and gory, but come on!

@TheAcidSkull said:

@Wolfrazer said:

Was only a matter of time till the "black guy dies first" came up lol.

i agree with all the things you posted, it also annoys me that when people face the killer all the do is scream like a little girl , at least throw a punch or something , and it also annoys me that when there is a dark basement or a lost dark scary house, it always seems like a good idea to go right a head

These.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

@_slim_ said:

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Wolfrazer

Also now a days, they never really expand on the killer character at all. I mean at least with Jason, Freddy, Michael, Leatherface, etc all them...the movies also explain as to why they are killing its not just for some random acts like most do now.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By HolySerpent

Stupidity

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

#27  Edited By wildvine  Moderator

@god_spawn said:

How the camera man just stands there and watches.

Avatar image for texasdeathmatch
texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By texasdeathmatch

At the end, when you realize the killer was THE MAIN CHARACTER THE WHOLE TIME. Wooooooooah! 

Waste of my time.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Wolfrazer

Another thing that annoys me, yet at the same time can be refreshing. Is that the killer never dies, and they kill everyone...now part of me thinks that it made all the running around and stuff pointless because in the end the killer won and killed everyone. But the other part of me thinks, that its not the same old "the characters get chased around, some are killed, last ones face the killer and kill the guy" its different even though what the characters did prior becomes pointless.

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 41

@Inner_Demon:

You should watch (REC) or The Blair Witch Project...Now THOSE are scary as hell!

Inner_Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Inner_Demon

@SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26: I watched the Blair Witch Project in the theater when it first came out. I thought it was an incredibly creative approach to making a horror film, but the camera movement gave me a headache.

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#32  Edited By Inverno

Shoehorning smartass dialogue and changing the tone.

Typhion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#33  Edited By Typhion

I'm amazed at how when the killer comes to attack someone in THEIR OWN HOUSE, that person totally fails to use home field advantage. They run upstairs and barricade themselves in a bathroom weeping like some 3 year old. It's your house you idiot. You know where the guns are, the knives, the blow torch, the baseball bat, the log chain, etc. But YOU decide that you'd like to go where the tooth brush is. Brilliant.

NerdsFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By NerdsFTW

Black guy dying.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Wolfrazer
@Typhion said:

I'm amazed at how when the killer comes to attack someone in THEIR OWN HOUSE, that person totally fails to use home field advantage. They run upstairs and barricade themselves in a bathroom weeping like some 3 year old. It's your house you idiot. You know where the guns are, the knives, the blow torch, the baseball bat, the log chain, etc. But YOU decide that you'd like to go where the tooth brush is. Brilliant.

This bothers me too oh so much.
HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By HolySerpent

Thor not dying

Fixed

NerdsFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By NerdsFTW

@HolySerpent said:

Superman sucks

No need to state the obvious.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#38  Edited By joshmightbe

This thread reminds me of this fan fic I read a long time ago where the killers from scream do the "What's you're favorite scary movie?" call but Sabertooth happened to be there finishing up a hit and answered the phone, he spends the next few paragraphs messing with them on the phone giving the most stereotypical horror movie victim impression ever and the end is exactly what you would expect but it pretty much references all of the issues mentioned in the OP. I can't remember where I found it now.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

It's not so much what annoys me in horror movies, but rather what annoys me about people who are annoyed by horror movies. 

For instance, people always rag on slasher films like Friday the 13th saying how it's just boobs and blood and teenagers having sex. Well DUH! If you go into a Friday the 13th film expecting a thought provoking performance by Jason and an intellectually stimulating theme then you're obviously in the wrong movie, they're slasher films, accept them for what they are.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#40  Edited By BatWatch

The thing that annoys me the most about horror movies is...horror movies. They suck.

Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#41  Edited By Dracade102

Black people either die first or have the most brutal deaths out of the whole movie.

Sequels almost never do the originals any justice, especially in Slasher Films.

Too many movies have ridiculously stupid side characters who have absolute no common sense and take too long to get killed.

In recent horror movies especially, there's usually an overabundance of gore and shock scenes.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#42  Edited By _Zombie_

"Why are you doing this?"

"You don't have to do this!"

Or pretty much any idiot that talks to the killer, instead of doing the sensible thing and running like hell.

Referee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Referee

When they knock down the killer, drop their weapon and run away. Serious just keep attacking with the weapon!

superstay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By superstay

@Dracade102said:

Black people either die first or have the most brutal deaths out of the whole movie.

Sequels almost never do the originals any justice, especially in Slasher Films.

Too many movies have ridiculously stupid side characters who have absolute no common sense and take too long to get killed.

In recent horror movies especially, there's usually an overabundance of gore and shock scenes.

superstay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By superstay

d^_^b

lady_liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By lady_liberty

People who are hopelessly bad at violence.

Now I know there are people who freeze up, or do not have the background that makes them able to be effective in a fight. Those people exist, and I'm not condemning them.

But really, people have been killing each other sense there was people. Its not all that complex, or difficult. Rather then running around screaming, what about if you ran to a weapon, and used it?

Its not rocket surgery.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By cameron83

chernobyl diaries,just looked stupid....ok,let's go to an abandoned power plant,sounds like fun...a person with 3rd grade intelligence knows not to go there,even with no protective gear,then they apparently camp out there and there are mutants,than the stupid screaming,and dumb@$$ quotes "we're being hunted"....first off though,which retard goes to that place anyway,that place is polluted with radiation,and even that won't make a person a mutant....and what was that other movie,recently,it was something about possessed people,retarded,that doesn't happen and they rolled in on the fata$$ nun who learned how to roll her eyes back,and then a fatass guy,basically that movie is retarded and the fact that people believe that actually happens is an sad and no wonder why this country is so low on the education scale...oh yeah,and the constant screaming from the idiot girl,it's annoying,and they act like they don't know how to fight,everyone doesn't know how to pick up the weapons around them,in fact most of them just sit there while the killer stares at hem for enough time to run,it's just stupid...however leatherface scared the **** out of me,i don't even like thinking about it,especially the ending,he scares me more than freddy and jason combined,both i say are the kinds of horror

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ssejllenrad

"Hello? Anybody there?"

and the this-is-just-a-practical-joke-self-lie... "C'mon guys this ain't funny anymore! I mean it. Stop it guys!"

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#49  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

That there is hardly any Scooby Doo.

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Rumble Man

Why kill the airhead cheerleader first?

why is it always the girl as a last survivor?

where the common sense at?