Things students don't think they need to know after school

OracleX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By OracleX

Congrats grads of 2011! You just proved you could memorize enough stuff, paraphrase spark notes, and show up often enough for class to earn some sort of diploma. But there a surprise waiting for you once the party balloons pop and you burn through the money you got from the graduation parties. You do not know the exact time or the place but it will hit you: You will need to remember some of the stuff you learned from school.

Before we go further I'd like to explain that I am not an expert on the subject. I am a college student a semester away from getting a bachelor degree of liberal arts in journalism. My knowledge on the subject comes from getting a part-time job at a library and learning that I still needed to remember a number of things from High School. Here the top things that every human needs to retain after throwing their caps in the air.

1. Spelling: Even in today's increasingly computerized society, there is not going to be a red squiggly line under every misspelled work. There are going to power outages and there are going to be times when hand-written notes are easier to spot than e-mails in a work place. If you can't spell a simple words, it doesn't look good.

2. Math: Not that crazy geometry involving logs and powers, simple cash register math. You may think that is what your cell phone is for it will take more time than remembering you multiplication tables.

3. Any random fact you ever learned: Quick story: I found out my boss's grand daughter was born three months premature. I was able to ask about how scary it must have been to see her grand baby wrapped in tubes. I remembered what the premature baby nursery looked after visiting one as part of a science club field trip. The whole point of school is to get a broad base of knowledge to use at the most random times. This doesn't just apply to school stuff either: sports, books, if you can make conversation about with some one, you can show competence.

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By Samimista

I agree I'm in high school and even I find it a bit ridiculous how some graduates don't know anything.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

::claps over and over:: Thank you for mentioning this.  With regard to how kids think they have the world at their fingertips following a simple high school graduation...I quote Socrates by saying "The only thing in life worth knowing is that you know nothing." Simple as that.  Yes, graduation is a major milestone, but it is not the beginning of the end. It is merely the end of the beginning.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#3  Edited By RazzaTazz

I agree, there is a bunch of stuff that you don't realize how useful it is.  

GTG12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By GTG12
@RazzaTazz

What she said
Thor's hammmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Thor's hammmer

I am in highschool and everyone I know does think the things you mentioned are important.
OracleX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By OracleX

I am just writing in generalizations.

mikethekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By mikethekiller

If you don't think you need to know those things there's a good chance your stupid.

Avatar image for do_i_have_to_give_a_name_
Do I have to give a name?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very nice. I especially agree with point 3. And I'm forced to agree with point 1, as I just misspelled "especially" 8-(

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Billy Batson
@Do I have to give a name? said:
Very nice. I especially agree with point 3. And I'm forced to agree with point 1, as I just misspelled "especially" 8-(

Auto correct to the rescue :D lol 

BB

B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By B'Town

Math. Math. And more Math. When I was in High School I really didn't believe I would need to know anything more than the basic.

Since than, I have had to search my brain for some Geometry, Algebra and those pesky dang percentage rules. (shakes head) Using a calculator is fine and dandy but in order to get a correct answer I have to know how to form the question.

I have found myself on a number of occasions pulling out old text books to brush up. My job involves a ton of math and a ton of documentation. All of which must be perfect, there is no room for error.

It is certainly good advice to keep it all fresh if we want to be successful.

Pr_Beyonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Pr_Beyonder
@B'Town said:

Math. Math. And more Math. When I was in High School I really didn't believe I would need to know anything more than the basic.

Since than, I have had to search my brain for some Geometry, Algebra and those pesky dang percentage rules. (shakes head) Using a calculator is fine and dandy but in order to get a correct answer I have to know how to form the question.

I have found myself on a number of occasions pulling out old text books to brush up. My job involves a ton of math and a ton of documentation. All of which must be perfect, there is no room for error.

It is certainly good advice to keep it all fresh if we want to be successful.

What's your profession?
inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Things I didn't think I'd EVER use after high school:

Speech

English (punctuation, essay writing)

Basic Algebra

11 years later, things I use EVERYDAY in my work life

Speech

English

Basic Algebra

18 year old Inferiorego was a moron.

Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Shadow_Thief

All things considered, the most important class I ever took was an acting class. The skills I learned there have gotten me through more customer interactions, job interviews, and family reunions than I care to remember.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#14  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator
@RedheadedAtrocitus said:
Yes, graduation is a major milestone
I haven't considered it a real milestone in at least ten years, a high school education now is a joke. I've helped a lot of cousins, nieces, nephews, younger siblings of friends and my friends children with junior high and high school homework and they make it out to be so unbelievably difficult even when they can use the internet for help and I look at it and its almost all stuff I did before I was even in junior high, no standards these days. I see general English skills lacking the most though, they need to make kids read more, in junior high (for me) we used to have to read one book minimum every two weeks and if we read like ten in a month we got a pizza party and we didn't get any easy reading nonsense books we had to read the classics :/
superojsimpson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By superojsimpson

kids know nothing?

They're pretty well of if you ask me!! atleast they know something, they know >>> nothing"!!
noth·ing   (nthng)

pron.
1. No thing; not anything: The box contained nothing. I've heard nothing about it.
2. No part; no portion: Nothing remains of the old house but the cellar hole.
3. One of no consequence, significance, or interest: The new nonsmoking policy is nothing to me.
n.
1. Something that has no existence.
2. Something that has no quantitative value; zero: a score of two to nothing.
3. One that has no substance or importance; a nonentity: "A nothing is a dreadful thing to hold onto" (Edna O'Brien).
adj.
Insignificant or worthless: "the utterly nothing role of a wealthy suitor" (Bosley Crowther).
adv.
In no way or degree; not at all: She looks nothing like her sister.

Larkin1388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Larkin1388

I hated school but i breezed right through it. Never cracked a book. My only weakness is math.

EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By EdwardWindsor

The only thing i learned at school and have now wipped from my mind was the French language. As i said at the time why learn a language used less around the world than your first language. Everything else  is important.

StinkNugs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Regarding number 2, your cell phone is not just for simple math, it is also for that crazy geometry you need to remember.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't graduate in 2011

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hated school but i breezed right through it. Never cracked a book. My only weakness is math.

Sounds like me.

But, a lot of what I learned in high school, I've actually had to use later on.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Math. Everyone who said math is right.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what Ms-Lola said. I once had THE highest score on an entrance test for a job. After a bunch of people had to leave and go to the final stage, i got removed because I couldn't remember one damn thing about doing percentages (I was in my late twenties, but still...) Math it up folks!

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ms-lola: Thanks for the heads up. Even though I kind of struggle with math it was my highest scoring subject on the SAT.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Avatar image for rocketraccoonthingy
rocketraccoonthingy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 8

Probably a lot of things. Depends on what profession you take.

cpt_nice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By cpt_nice

Math for sure. Besides basic sums and calculating chances, I haven't used any of it for years.

Chemistry and physics beyond the basics I studied when I was 14 - 15. Then again, my study was very science-oriented.

Also, economics. Would have only been helpful if I started a business. Totally useless now. Wish they had taught me how to fill in a tax form, but that was never addressed.

StinkNugs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still use a lot from economics class and I don't own a business

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find it funny that the thread was made around the time i've quitted School.

HBKTimHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By HBKTimHBK

Thread was made when I was a freshmen in high school, now a freshmen in college. Oh life.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 the_stegman  Moderator

There needs to be a "How to survive on your own" class that teaches;

How to get good credit

What a mortgage is

How to do your taxes

How to apply for jobs

How to write a resume

How to take out a loan

These are more important than the Quadratic Formula or knowing the plot for Of Mice and Men.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well i can count.....

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

There needs to be a "How to survive on your own" class that teaches;

How to get good credit

What a mortgage is

How to do your taxes

How to apply for jobs

How to write a resume

How to take out a loan

These are more important than the Quadratic Formula or knowing the plot for Of Mice and Men.

now this is something all schools are lacking in

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: Pretty sure that's a personal finance class. And I'm pretty sure almost every school has one, albeit not mandatory.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BeaconofStrength

@kgb725: I learned all those and more, when I took personal finance my junior year. Maybe I just had a good teacher.

Khael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's it?

I mean, after all these years?