#1 Edited by Pfcoolio14 (1139 posts) - - Show Bio

"The true story behind adventure time is actually really damn depressing. It takes place something like 1000 years after a nuclear war, which wiped out all humanity besides the ice king, who was horribly mutated. Everything you see is an abomination brought upon by nuclear waste harming and mutating the environments and animals. They actually show the damn war and following nuclear winter in a few episodes. F*ckin depressing, man" -

mrgetoocoolaid

The Nuclear war he mentions is the "

Mushroom War

". If you are wondering about the Opening Sequence, the first thing you will see is a landfill filled with military refuse, and beyond it is the land of Ooo.

Here are more.

"Adventure Time passes in a post-apocalyptic world where humanity destroys itself with a colossal nuclear bomb (you can see nukes in the opening) , after this bomb (and maybe not just one) falls, human mostly died and who survived went to the underground, to protect themselves from diceases created by the effects of the bombs. But, when they were underground, they did not know that above their heads the world was changing, and the bomb, even reaching the sun, opened diferent dimensions (Nightosphere, Lumpy Space, etc.) and make the habitants of these diferent dimensions to start living on Earth, the creatures and humans that survived the war and still were in the surface were transformed into mutated creatures because of the radiation (Candy people, Undead, Raincorns, Talking Dogs, etc.).

In "Ocean Of Fear", when Jake and Finn go to under the sea, in the background you can see a complete ruined city underground and a place where was supposed to be a traffic lane with buried cars on it. When they try to reach Lich before he goes to the "Power Well", you can see in the surface a unused nuke before they enter in the subway.

There are many evidences of this war in the cartoon, you just need to find them". -

Christi-

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Well that's copied and pasted from an article. If you follow Adventure time, than I think you would have already starrted getting that vibe. Remember, Ice king used tobe a regular guy until the Apocalypse when he had to use the crown to protect himself and kid Marceline. But it drove him crazy.

#2 Posted by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (10874 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally I'm a believer of the Wizard only theory of Adventure Time

#3 Edited by Shavo (2061 posts) - - Show Bio

i have seen worse things on cartoon network have you ever heard of fried dynamite now that is a real abomination

#4 Edited by Pfcoolio14 (1139 posts) - - Show Bio

@thatguywithheadphones:

This isn't a theory though. Pendleton Ward said this specifically. It's been being revealed in the recent episodes. Remember that episode with Finn in the alternate reality. There were humans there because the Nuclear war hadn't ended with the Lich bomb. That's why Ice King had stopped it.

And remember the recent flashback episodes with Ice King and Marceline after the end of the World.

If you look at the beginning of the theme song, the first two seconds start off in apocalyptic wasteland.

#5 Posted by russellmania77 (14874 posts) - - Show Bio

well my friend is a giant fan of the show and also told me this but i didnt really believe him cuz it sounded a lil much for kids cartoon but eh i guess it is true

#6 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

It's one of my favorite things about Adventure Time. Learning about the mushroom war is what got me into watching it more often.

#7 Posted by deadpoolrules (4683 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow,that was a revelation to me......I mean,that actually makes a lot of sense.

#8 Posted by redbird3rdboywonder (3948 posts) - - Show Bio

the truth behind Adventure time is that it sucks

#9 Posted by russellmania77 (14874 posts) - - Show Bio

oh yeah and i also heard they called it the mushroom war cuz the nuclear blast looked like a mushroom

#10 Posted by russellmania77 (14874 posts) - - Show Bio

@thatguywithheadphones:

This isn't a theory though. Pendleton Ward said this specifically. It's been being revealed in the recent episodes. Remember that episode with Finn in the alternate reality. There were humans there because the Nuclear war hadn't ended with the Lich bomb. That's why Ice King had stopped it.

And remember the recent flashback episodes with Ice King and Marceline after the end of the World.

If you look at the beginning of the theme song, the first two seconds start off in apocalyptic wasteland.

theres also 3 bombs planted in the ground with nuclear stickers on em in the beginning

#11 Posted by AnyWhichWayButUp (760 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe its a positive thing. Showing happiness can still occur even after a global catastrophe.

#12 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12888 posts) - - Show Bio

It's one of my favorite things about Adventure Time. Learning about the mushroom war is what got me into watching it more often.

that is so unsurprising

#13 Posted by INFINITE_DOOM (265 posts) - - Show Bio

I figured, the Llich King is a result of the war thats why when Finn wished the Lich never existed you saw that the bombs never exploded.

#14 Edited by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@innervenom123 said:

that is so unsurprising

I know. Liking things that are cool is what I do. I'm not really shocked either.

#15 Posted by JediXMan (30206 posts) - - Show Bio

A friend of mine told me about the subtle dark undertones of this show.

Got me intrigued, not gonna lie. I'm thinking of watching it.

#16 Edited by judasnixon (6427 posts) - - Show Bio

That show is so good on so many levels.... Music, Comedy, Story, Characters, and just being so fun to watch.......

#17 Edited by Dabee (2384 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's not forget it's a kids show. ;-)

#18 Posted by King Saturn (224001 posts) - - Show Bio

alrighty then

#19 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20136 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought the crown mutated the Ice King not the Mushroom Wars.

#20 Posted by lykopis (10753 posts) - - Show Bio

One of the many reasons why I love Adventure Time. It's not a kids' show. It's impossible, considering content and presentation and yet, it is.

Long live Adventure Time (and Flame Princess -- woohoo!)

#21 Edited by mikethekiller (8373 posts) - - Show Bio

Adventure Time is dope.

#22 Posted by SC (12918 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh err well its not really the truth behind Adventure Time, its sort of the truth smack dab in the face of Adventure Time lol - its not depressing either, you just have these 20, 30, 40 year old peeps who are cynical, sarcastic, skeptical, hippies and so create cartoons that are for adults but can be watched by children. Show isn't so much depressing as it is surreal and trollish. Treetrunks keeps telling people to chew on her sweet warm gooey pie, Marceline and Bubblegum are hot for each other, the Lemongrabs are cartoons premier gay couple. Xergiok literally has a spanking fetish. Except they aren't trying to be consistent or deep, not really, some of their best episodes take the piss out of slash fiction, fan theories, trying to be too deep with metaphors. Probably best thing about the show is that he writing team get to change it up and add and probably even mix in fan theory and speculation into the show too. The shows creators are pretty internet savvy, they do a good job at reeling in kids, kids parents, the lolrandom crowd, those wanting some dark deep stuff, and the post irony ironic hipsters.

#23 Posted by Aiden Cross (15562 posts) - - Show Bio

I should really watch it somewhere online, hatethe fact it's not broadcasted here..

#24 Posted by joshmightbe (24876 posts) - - Show Bio

I never knew they were trying to keep this secret, I mean its pretty much obvious if you watch any episode. It actually shows a nuclear explosion in the opening credits

#25 Posted by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (10874 posts) - - Show Bio

I never knew they were trying to keep this secret, I mean its pretty much obvious if you watch any episode. It actually shows a nuclear explosion in the opening credits

The secret isn't the Nuclear war (the creators are pretty open about it) it's what caused the explosion they won't explain or how the world ended up ...the way it is now

personally I believe in the ''Wizard Only'' theory

#26 Edited by Pfcoolio14 (1139 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe:

Ya, but it's not really focused on much. If you're a casual watcher than it would probably be a random show. Especially since the episodes relating to the mushroom war are all separated

#27 Edited by laflux (15132 posts) - - Show Bio

So one is going to slap me for this but I have never watched Adventure Time before.

#28 Posted by Pfcoolio14 (1139 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc: The whole Ice King protecting Marceline and getting crazier as he used the crown was pretty depressing

#29 Posted by SC (12918 posts) - - Show Bio

@pfcoolio14 said:

@sc: The whole Ice King protecting Marceline and getting crazier as he used the crown was pretty depressing

I agree yeah sure, especially when you realize its paralleling the reality of every child raised by a solo parent below the poverty line then later on in life having to face the pain that is Alzheimer's. Thats Marceline and Ice Kings relationship summed up in one word. That is depressing and that does happen in our reality a lot, but its part of a larger experience innit. That and words like mutated get a bad rap, when all living organisms are technically mutants. So yeah sure the Candy people for example are the byproducts of a tragic disaster, but so is humanity as far as various cataclysmic natural disasters that have occurred for millions of years before us, so its just a bit of perspective, that and Adventure Time present tense has Marceline surrounded by friends, probably the happiest she has ever been although yeah like anyone who is close to anyone with dementia and Alzheimer's can attest to that is hard to cope with, but cope one must. ^_^

#30 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought the crown mutated the Ice King not the Mushroom Wars.

He only survived the war because of the crown.

#31 Edited by lykopis (10753 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux said:

So one is going to slap me for this but I have never watched Adventure Time before.