Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

No Caption Provided

I really enjoy alot of horror movies,it is a favourite genre of mine.So I thought I would make my first review about a film that embodies alot the reasons why I enjoy horror so much.

And that film is obviously The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.This review goes in depth about the film,so if you have not seen it then go and watch it,there are tons of videos on You Tube showing the movie in full.

Now onto the review.

The film is not only one of the most influential horror films ever made but is one of the most influential films in general. It paved the way for a new lease of horror films,the sub genre that has become known as the slasher genre. It created many of the staples for the slasher film,first and foremost a killer of some sort,usually wearing a mask,silent and carrying a melee weapon in this case a chainsaw. Another is young adults or teenagers are the main cast,that gets picked off one by one,until there is one last survivor who is usually female. Also another theme that is very present is the feeling of been trapped in that situation,that the killer is the absolute biggest threat.

No Caption Provided

The film opens up an introduction narrating which is basically the plot of the movie.Its almost documentary like,almost as if the film is chronicling actual events.It then shows multiple shots of a dead body being photographed.This entire sequence is incredibly effective and sets the tone of the entire film straight away.

To just see how effective the intro is,give it a watch for yourselves.

Finished now? Good.

Another really effective move that was made, was to claim that the film is true.By adding the tag line "What happened is true.Now the motion picture that's just as real." This was very effective indeed since even still today I have heard people claim the film is based on a true story and that Leatherface was/is real.I even had to make it clear to my older brother that none of this film actually ever happened,and that was really regarding the remake which obviously took that idea from the original

No Caption Provided

The character of Leatherface is based on the killer Ed Gein,who killed three people and robbed many graves.He created lamp shades out of human skin and did even fashion a mask made from human flesh.Link here for more info on him http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Gein

Speaking of Leatherface,he is portrayed by Gunar Hansen and is mentally challenged,another really quite interesting plot point is that,it is almost as if Leatherface is scarred of the people coming onto his home.

No Caption Provided

The rest of the family,The Hitch Hiker (played by Ed Neal),is picked up by the teenagers,he quickly shows that he is a few eggs short of a basket by cutting himself and harming one of them as well.He then wipes blood onto the van almost as if to mark it.Next up we have the gas station owner simply referred to as The Old Man who is also brilliantly portrayed by the late Jim Sideow,his character is one of my favourite parts of this move.Then there is the grandpa who almost looks like he was dead for a few years then came back alive again and then grandma who is a skeleton.

No Caption Provided

The family (the Sawyer family) view anyone else outside of their little clan as nothing more really than livestock,who are nothing more than something to be played with then killed and eaten.They have none of our concept of social standards,they have no value for human life.I think that is the most frightening thing about them,and that to them it is so normal and ordinary. The performances from the family are easily the best and most interesting. You could almost say that they are the American family gone wrong.

No Caption Provided

The film does not have that much gore,probably partly due to budgetary reasons.But it really does not need it the film is a horror film that just relies on the feelings it sets up,not the gore.The title and the way the film is may make some people think that there is more gore in it than there actually is even for people who may have seen it.

No Caption Provided

Overall I mean I could go on how this is one of the best horror films of all time,hell one of the best movies all time.It also paved the way for many other horror films.Any horror fan who has not seen it go watch it. Even if you aren't a horror fan Id recommend you watch it.

Its a unique film that has never nor will ever be replicated.Which is why the sequel was very different,which I also enjoyed,so I feel that the other sequels and remakes do fail in comparison to the original and the sequel,because they never tried to be original like they did with this one and the second one.

If there is a list of films to watch before you die if this is not on the list then that list is severely lacking.

Well I hope you enjoyed this rather lengthy review/waffle about this movie and I will review more horror films and whatnot when I feel the urge too.

So if you got this far without scrolling down,thanks for reading and as always comments and thoughts are much appreciated.

lagoon_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Very nice review. Agreed. It has one of the darkest settings. That scary and gruesome feel you get when you watch it is what's missing in the newer horror flicks.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Very nice review. Agreed. It has one of the darkest settings. That scary and gruesome feel you get when you watch it is what's missing in the newer horror flicks.

Thanks.Yep it is,alot of the newer films seem airbrushed and not as gritty.

lagoon_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By lagoon_boy

@lagoon_boy: Although I haven't seen it, I'm thinking the Evil Dead remake will be close if not scarier to the TCM.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lagoon_boy: Although I haven't seen it, I'm thinking the Evil Dead remake will be close if not scarier to the TCM.

I don't think it will be.It maybe scarier than the TCM remake if that is what you meant.

lagoon_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrdecepticonleader: I don't know..I mean the trailer scared me quite a bit. Maybe it's just me, not good with horror movies.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Completely agree, nice review..now I wanna watch the movie again...

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrdecepticonleader: I don't know..I mean the trailer scared me quite a bit. Maybe it's just me, not good with horror movies.

Well alot of horror is subjective.

lagoon_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I enjoyed your review and it's great getting some information about the movie, considering I have never watched it. I have to admit, I couldn't bring myself to watch the trailer -- maybe later. O_O

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lykopis said:

I enjoyed your review and it's great getting some information about the movie, considering I have never watched it. I have to admit, I couldn't bring myself to watch the trailer -- maybe later. O_O

Thanks,there is alot of interesting trivia on IMBD,like how apparently they paid the narrator a spliff.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072271/trivia?ref_=tt_trv_trv

I know you don't like watching horror films but it really is a great film.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Completely agree, nice review..now I wanna watch the movie again...

Thanks.I had watched a couple of documentaries about it and that made me want to re watch it again and then do this review

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

I was lurking offline last night (tend to do that usually late) and saw when this was first posted. Really glad you did a review on this since you were the person who got me to watch the first movie. So creepy with that hitchhiker they pick up with the knife. 0.o I like how Leatherface dresses up as his mother on dinner and then there's the grandfather with the hammer. xD Was he even still alive lol? Great review though. =D Looking forward to more to come.

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That was a great review and a good start for many more to come I am sure, huh?

:D

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

Was leather face an actually person or is he made up.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@mrdecepticonleader: Great review. Long though, but worth the read.

@time said:

Based on a real person (Ed Gein) but an actual Leatherface does not exist.

GhostofOnyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice review :D

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was lurking offline last night (tend to do that usually late) and saw when this was first posted. Really glad you did a review on this since you were the person who got me to watch the first movie. So creepy with that hitchhiker they pick up with the knife. 0.o I like how Leatherface dresses up as his mother on dinner and then there's the grandfather with the hammer. xD Was he even still alive lol? Great review though. =D Looking forward to more to come.

Thanks,I am really glad I did it as well,Nice to be able to talk about something I like,and that other people like it too.Yeah the performances of the Sawyer family really carried the movie,they made the movie scary,and people can be scary.

@time said:

Well if you would have read my review you would have known that since I state it explicitly.

Another really effective move that was made, was to claim that the film is true.By adding the tag line "What happened is true.Now the motion picture that's just as real." This was very effective indeed since even still today I have heard people claim the film is based on a true story and that Leatherface was/is real.I even had to make it clear to my older brother that none of this film actually ever happened,and that was really regarding the remake which obviously took that idea from the original

It really gets on my nerves when people ask questions about something,when it is their in black and white all they have to do is read it.

@ssejllenrad: Thanks,yeah it was quite long but I did it as long as I thought it needed to be.

Yeah I do plan on reviewing the sequel and probably the others,though I don't really enjoy the rest of them as much as the first two,and I will have to watch them again before I review them,probably.

It was actually your question/suggestion that made me finally want to review some movies,so thanks.

Nice review :D

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dragonborn_ct said:

Yeah I do plan on reviewing the sequel and probably the others,though I don't really enjoy the rest of them as much as the first two,and I will have to watch them again before I review them,probably.

It was actually your question/suggestion that made me finally want to review some movies,so thanks.

I see. Last time I heard it seems the recent Texas Chainsaw Massacre is a reboot (and guess what: I heard it sucked too).

You are welcome, glad to know I gave you the push to do it :)

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrdecepticonleader said:

@dragonborn_ct said:

I see. Last time I heard it seems the recent Texas Chainsaw Massacre is a reboot (and guess what: I heard it sucked too).

You are welcome, glad to know I gave you the push to do it :)

The recent one is meant to be a direct sequel to the original. Which to me is silly,because I really enjoyed TCM 2 it is a very different film,the main reason been is because Tobe Hooper realized he couldn't make another film like the original so he went for a different take on the sequel.I like the sequel alot of people don't.

But what they did with this new one was just plain stupid.It is bad from what I have seen of it.I haven't brought myself to be able sit through it yet.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#21 BumpyBoo  Moderator

Awesome review! I can see that the story is in knowledgeable hands ^_^

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bumpyboo said:

Awesome review! I can see that the story is in knowledgeable hands ^_^

Thank you very much.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#23 BumpyBoo  Moderator
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrdecepticonleader: Aw anytime. ^__^ Have you ever seen The Nightmare On Elm Street? Love Freddy Krueger. So interesting how he can go into people's dreams. =D

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrdecepticonleader: Aw anytime. ^__^ Have you ever seen The Nightmare On Elm Street? Love Freddy Krueger. So interesting how he can go into people's dreams. =D

I have,it is another great horror film.I was left wondering about the ending though.

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Samimista

@samimista said:

I have,it is another great horror film.I was left wondering about the ending though.

I saw the second film in hopes it would clear up the first ending but the second's ending is very similar to the original. 0.o Don't think I'll watch the third though since I'm sure it'll have a similar ending lol. First Nightmare on Elm Street is awesome though. =D

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samimista said:

I saw the second film in hopes it would clear up the first ending but the second's ending is very similar to the original. 0.o Don't think I'll watch the third though since I'm sure it'll have a similar ending lol. First Nightmare on Elm Street is awesome though. =D

No actually the third one ends alright and is pretty good.Alot of people consider it the best.I liked,I also enjoyed the fourth one but its not quite as good as the third or the first one but is better than the second.

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samimista said:

@samimista said:

No actually the third one ends alright and is pretty good.Alot of people consider it the best.I liked,I also enjoyed the fourth one but its not quite as good as the third or the first one but is better than the second.

Didn't know that. Will check it out then. Need to see the original Friday the 13th as well.~ Kinda feel bad for Jason to be honest.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samimista said:

@samimista said:

Didn't know that. Will check it out then. Need to see the original Friday the 13th as well.~ Kinda feel bad for Jason to be honest.

Hope you like it/them.I may do reviews of them later down the line.It wasn't too long see I last saw Friday the 13th series so I dont really feel like back and watching them again

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Ostyo

@mrdecepticonleader: Yeah, dinner scene... Man, they set the perfect tone and feeling of helplessness that made you really feel bad for the girl.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ostyo said:

@mrdecepticonleader: Yeah, dinner scene... Man, they set the perfect tone and feeling of helplessness that made you really feel bad for the girl.

Yep. It managed to feel and be terrifying without any gore either it actually had atmosphere just ashame that alot of so called horror films today don't get that.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Ostyo

@mrdecepticonleader: Yeah, I'm shocked by what people find scary these days. The whole shakey camera home video ones are most hated though, I actually hate that style because it makes the film feel like a film to me, it's annoying not scary. :P

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ostyo said:

@mrdecepticonleader: Yeah, I'm shocked by what people find scary these days. The whole shakey camera home video ones are most hated though, I actually hate that style because it makes the film feel like a film to me, it's annoying not scary. :P

I am not keen on the found footage type films either.