The Story Behind My Excellent Username

PatVB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By PatVB

I put this up on Screened a few weeks ago and I really enjoyed reading everyone's responses. So I figured I'd put it up on all the WM sites and see what everyone has to say.

As you may have noticed, I have a really, really stupid username. The first three letters of my name followed by four entirely random numbers do not an interesting handle make. With your indulgence, I'd like to explain myself:

It all started years ago when I was first signing up for Xbox Live. I was super excited to get home from Best Buy (after purchasing my proprietary Xbox-brand wireless adapter) and start playing Halo 2. Having a terrible wireless network at home, in addition to me not knowing how to do these kinds of things at the time, meant that I spent the the better part of the afternoon setting up the connection and making my account.

When I finally got to the part where they wanted me to come up with a name, I was pretty impatient with the process and just wanted to get on with murdering some blues/reds. I had thought of (what I thought at the time was) a really clever Gamertag. Of course it, and all variations I could come up with were already taken. So I tried my name, which was also obviously taken. Finally, out of frustration, I added the first four numbers that came to mind to the first three letters of my first name.

My plan was to keep this temporary name for a few days until I could think of a clever name that wasn't taken yet. A week later, when I had finally thought of one, I went to the Xbox dashboard, punched in the name, and discovered that Microsoft charged $5 to change your Gamertag. So I said "eff this ess", kept the crappy name, and the rest is history. Pat4327 history.

Long story short, I have a dumb username because I'm a cheapskate. What's the origin story behind your name?

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By Samimista
@pat4327 said:

What's the origin story behind your name?

I'm a fan of the soap opera General Hospital.There's a hacker on the show who calls his ex girlfriend,Maxie,"Maximista" which happened to be a name my mom who's also a fan of the show called me a few times in real life due to me being fashionable like Maxie so I took off the 'Max' and added the first three letters of my name and there you have it Samimista.
Bigheart711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Bigheart711

"Bigheart" was Inspired by the cartoon "How the Grinch Stole Christmas". The 711 part was random on my book.
@pat4327: Also, I know you're not on here much, but please edit some of the bad language out (some of the words said are against CV's rules. "Damn", "Crap" and "Hell" are fine, but anything stronger than those are out of the question). Just looking out for you, duder.

Baddamdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3  Edited By Baddamdog

LOVE this thread! 

Mine was because I was playing Crash Bandicoot 3 on the ps3 at the time, and it's created by the video game company naughty dog, but naughty dog was taken so I thought of an alternative , baddamdog. And it's not some cheesy reason like I'm a 'bad boy' or anything like that haha!

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By sesquipedalophobe

Fear of long words. True story.

ragdollpurps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By ragdollpurps

Ragdoll was the name of the OC I was going to RP as but I ended up not getting into it. Purps is a nickname I've been given due to my purple hair. 

PatVB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PatVB

Thanks for the stories, everyone! I always love reading them.

@Bigheart711: Oops, I didn't realize Comic Vine had different rules that the other sites, thanks for the heads up! Any reason why the rules are different here?

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#7  Edited By Omega Ray Jay
gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By gravitypress

Mine is from a spell in Star Ocean 2

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

#10  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator

J is the first letter in my first name. Lone is the beginning of my last name. I have a Blackheart tattoo and I am also slightly dark souled. In actuality, I've read a total of one comic with Blackheart in it, but I love him from the Marvel Super Heroes video game and I just think he looks cool.

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By Samimista
@Omega Ray Jay said:
I like Beta Ray Bill and was reading this at the time.
I always wondered where you came up with your username I think it's cool.
Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Omega Ray Jay
@Samimista: Thanks, yours is rather inventive to but where as you added your name to the start I placed mine at the end :)
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator
@aztek the lost

@jloneblackheart said:

J is the first letter in my first name. Lone is the beginning of my last name. I have a Blackheart tattoo and I am also slightly dark souled. In actuality, I've read a total of one comic with Blackheart in it, but I love him from the Marvel Super Heroes video game and I just think he looks cool.

hahaha, I knew you had the tattoo but I always found it odd you never talked about the character...one comic? ha! which one was it? wait let me guess, Fantastic Four Annual #29?

Actually, it was his first appearance. Daredevil something or other. I got big into comics with the usuals - Spider-Man, X-Men, whatever else was most popular in the early nineties. I have a ton of Marvel first appearance comics I hunted off of eBay (when the Internet was new!) that I found from Marvel cards and Wizard magazine.
Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#16  Edited By turoksonofstone
BlazeEmblem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BlazeEmblem

Pretty sure this thread has been done before. 

I chose mine because my old computer was an Acer, and I liked it.

PatVB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PatVB

@aztek the lost: Ah, I can see the reasoning behind that. People in forums can get...crazy.

MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MajinBlackheart  Moderator
@aztek the lost Believe it or not, I have bit read every issue if the Fantastic Four. He's on the cover, so he's probably in the issue.

And yes, Blackheart first appeared as a Daredevil enemy and fought him and Spider-Man. Mephisto was there too, who I know ten times as much about since he is a big Surfer enemy, but jlonemephisto just sounds weird...
TheSheepHerder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheSheepHerder

I had really liked aviation back then, and one of the names that I found fascinating was "The Sheepherder" which was a nickname a World War II fighter pilot gave to his airplane. 

And then I used it. And it sounds kinda stupid.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ssejllenrad
@turoksonofstone said:
Turok son of stone is the title of my favorite comic published by Dell/Gold Key.
Yet it has nothing to do with Count Orlok!!!! Nyehehehe! Peace dude.. :D
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By turoksonofstone
@ssejllenrad:  
lol, true.
ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ssejllenrad
@turoksonofstone: Ok I'll just go ahead and become a nut with ridiculous theories and such.

TUROK
TU - is from nosferaTU
ROK -  from oRLOK

SON
Almost a homonym of "Sun" - Orlok being the first rendition of a vampyre to get killed of by the sun...

OF
From Michael GruskOFF - The producer of the 1979 Nosferatu remake!

STONE
STO - is from Stoker
NE - is from the Wismar, where Murnau shot Nosferatu... Happen to be in Northeastern (NE) Germany

Ha! Decrypted your name evil vampire!
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By turoksonofstone
@ssejllenrad:  
LMAO. Close! But you want Kurt Barlow not Count Orlok.  
ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ssejllenrad
@turoksonofstone: D'oh! Should have realized the Salem's Lot image... Silly me...
Final Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By Final Arrow

Final Arrow:

Not sure in all honesty just stuck out, I suppose you could link it back to me being clever...yes that what I was doing, you see I like Green Arrow and wanted to make a character i could use for the RPG section on here, So I thought something arrow, Final Arrow. Its that moment you realize you only have one shot left in the bank, all you hope is riding on that one arrow you have left! so hell why not, not many people have an Arrow name. So it just worked.