The [sort of] Official Philosophy Thread

pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

We (by which I mean I) all knew this was coming. This thread is the place to discuss anything and everything philosophical, ranging from metaphysics to ethics to abstract concepts. Now as philosophy encompasses almost everything else, try not to delve too far into one particular region such as religion which already has its own thread and turn it into a religious debate instead of a philosophical discussion.

As a bonus say who your favourite philosopher/what philosophy mindset you follow is.

I'm a platonist myself.

Avatar image for midnightdragon18
midnightdragon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By midnightdragon18

I guess I'll start with something basic

Do good and evil truly exist, or are they just labels?

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the stuff by plato. Paul of tarsus gets a lot of his stuff from Greek philosophy.

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@midnightdragon18:

Nice one.

People who are conditioned to hate other kinds of people will think it is good to exterminate them.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

If our eyes aren't real, then how can mirrors be real? :P

pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess I'll start with something basic

Do good and evil truly exist, or are they just labels?

Hurrah for dualism. My friend and I talk about this one a lot, he is very much anti-dualism whilst I'm, for the most part, pro-dualism. I believe that "Good and Evil" are relative to the society that sets the laws, rights etc., but I also believe that no matter what there will always exist a good and an evil, because one cannot exist without another.

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By VoloErgoMalus

I've touched on most of the developments in Western philosophy in my reading. My views are most like those of Schopenhauer based on what I've read. I am beginning a process of immersion in this field of study, and am finding the self-directed process of personal enlightenment and edification very rewarding so far.

I believe my chief relation to Schopenhauer is philosophical pessimism and the esteeming of an ascetic existence or a solitary one devoted to intellectual pursuits. Intellectual in the inquiring sense, for Plato was right in asserting that truth (within whatever frame of reference) has a certain transcendental nature because it concerns our fundamental relationship with uncertainty and the unknown (setting the bounds thereof), so discovering new truth and gaining new knowledge (i.e. information that reflects reality) is how we transcend our past selves and overturn our notions, self-overcome. At any rate, my philosophy wants development, precise apprehension, and crystallization*. What better way to occupy my time? Philosophy is the basis for a conscious lifestyle choice. Prioritizing practicality over philosophy is putting the horse behind the cart, means before ends.

I'm sorry, but I'm (i.e. my philosophy is) going to be incomplete as long as I lack *this thing. I'm in my infancy philosophically. I've yet many times to self-overcome. I'm a perfectionist, though, so this messy syntax of mine derived from an unsatisfactory architecture of thought is irksome :/

pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Can Procrastination die if one man heart is pure?

Pilasy:La Voix d'un homme

Just_Banter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Just_Banter
jonjizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jonjizz

Well that's easy, Good and Evil are just labels; they only exist in our imagination.

Avatar image for stalin-is-steel
Stalin-Is-Steel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be honest, nothing can be real to the perception of the human brain. It's so terrible at recognising colour or making basic choices that to believe it capable of solving complex problems is frankly silly.

jonjizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stalin-is-steel: i think we are pretty good with logic, or at least our brain is capable of it, it's perception that we suck at XD