The Science Thread

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Tsk Tsk.. there u go again dividing the 2 with a battle axe. Why is it so impossible for the 2 to co-exist?

It depends on what you're talking about. I thought you were talking about stuff in the Bible that contradicted known science (i.e. evolution) or history. If not, what's the point of your statement? Of course the Bible can co-exist with science if it's not claiming that science is wrong.

Many scientific discoveries merely derived at conclusions that the bible already outlined years before it.

Like what?

How you reach said conclusion is somewhat moot. A theory is a theory. Weather you derived at it by looking at a rock with a magnified lens or if you intuitively depicted a quote from a bible passage, written long before we had the technology to look at that rock, they both can be right.. and both can be way off. It all comes down to faith.

How you reach a conclusion is not moot. The way science does it is through a set of principles and methodologies designed to arrive at valid conclusions about the natural world, and have those conclusions tested and verified by others doing their own independent work. The way of religion is to simply believe what someone or some text tells you, and have "faith". One way yields results, the other doesnt. One way takes out bias and error, the other almost guarantees that bias and error will occur.

The way science approaches learning has nothing to do with "faith".

For example, an evolutionist's theory is that humans and apes share a common ancestor... We discover fossils, and ancient artifacts that hint to this but since it isn't visibly occurring in nature, nor can we replicate this process, it's impossible to be absolutely positive.. unless you have such faith in current research data.

Again, no faith is required in science, and certainly not to believe that evolution is true. Your understanding of the subject is poor, if you think that evolution "isn't visibly occurring in nature" or that we can't replicate it. Your argument and credibility falls completely to pieces if you show that you dont understand even basics of what you're arguing against.

To answer your question nothing. Never said anything scientific was wrong. Just somethings i disagree with. But i could be wrong too. Truth is relative.

You can certainly disagree with science, but how can you be so confident when you dont understand how science works or what the evidence is for things like Evolution? (see above)

Opinions might be relative. Our experience of truth might be. Even the passage of time might be relative. But, truth is truth. Facts are facts, regardless of whether you agree with them, of whether you're even aware of them.

Edit: A lot of Science is Confirmation Bias imo... which is fine, because the motivation yeilds strides for humanity but if you look hard enough for things to prove your point, you'll always find something. Even if the "something" you found is nothing , enough determination and faith can make even nonsense seem plausible. (insert "this is religion" joke here)

That's why i think controlled skepticism is always the best approach.

What is science is confirmation bias?

Funny you mention skepticism. How often do you apply this to your own religious beliefs?

YodaPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yodaprime said:

Tsk Tsk.. there u go again dividing the 2 with a battle axe. Why is it so impossible for the 2 to co-exist?

It depends on what you're talking about. I thought you were talking about stuff in the Bible that contradicted known science (i.e. evolution) or history. If not, what's the point of your statement? Of course the Bible can co-exist with science if it's not claiming that science is wrong.

@yodaprime said:

Many scientific discoveries merely derived at conclusions that the bible already outlined years before it.

Like what?

Dicoveries, Dicoveries, Similarities ,Similarities.....

@yodaprime said:

How you reach said conclusion is somewhat moot. A theory is a theory. Weather you derived at it by looking at a rock with a magnified lens or if you intuitively depicted a quote from a bible passage, written long before we had the technology to look at that rock, they both can be right.. and both can be way off. It all comes down to faith.

How you reach a conclusion is not moot. The way science does it is through a set of principles and methodologies designed to arrive at valid conclusions about the natural world, and have those conclusions tested and verified by others doing their own independent work. The way of religion is to simply believe what someone or some text tells you, and have "faith". One way yields results, the other doesnt. One way takes out bias and error, the other almost guarantees that bias and error will occur.

The way science approaches learning has nothing to do with "faith".

And here is were the connection is comes in. A standard Bible is 800- 2k pages long. Pretty hard to fit every answer to every question in that in great detail. The Bible i think lays foundation for basic principles and science assists in coming up with what humankind agrees on to breakdown these theories and principals.. God didn't have everything put in to Bible to each exact detail because if it has to go that far, your faith is too weak anyway. He has nothing to prove to us. Either you Believe in him or not. If we aren't satisfied with what's written.. that's more of an "us" problem.

@yodaprime said:

For example, an evolutionist's theory is that humans and apes share a common ancestor... We discover fossils, and ancient artifacts that hint to this but since it isn't visibly occurring in nature, nor can we replicate this process, it's impossible to be absolutely positive.. unless you have such faith in current research data.

Again, no faith is required in science, and certainly not to believe that evolution is true. Your understanding of the subject is poor, if you think that evolution "isn't visibly occurring in nature" or that we can't replicate it. Your argument and credibility falls completely to pieces if you show that you dont understand even basics of what you're arguing against.

Ah well feel free to enlighten me. I hear about lots of species dying out. Never of any still evolving. And i'd love to see the living species we have that we were able to make evolve from something else via science. Or are u lumping adaptation and evolution together?

@yodaprime said:

To answer your question nothing. Never said anything scientific was wrong. Just somethings i disagree with. But i could be wrong too. Truth is relative.

You can certainly disagree with science, but how can you be so confident when you dont understand how science works or what the evidence is for things like Evolution? (see above)

Opinions might be relative. Our experience of truth might be. Even the passage of time might be relative. But, truth is truth. Facts are facts, regardless of whether you agree with them, of whether you're even aware of them.

my apologies. I was proposing philosophical concepts, in that 'we' may not even exist. Let alone be the authority of what is "Fact/True"

@yodaprime said:

Edit: A lot of Science is Confirmation Bias imo... which is fine, because the motivation yeilds strides for humanity but if you look hard enough for things to prove your point, you'll always find something. Even if the "something" you found is nothing , enough determination and faith can make even nonsense seem plausible. (insert "this is religion" joke here)

What is science is confirmation bias?

The actual "Scientific Rule"itself is the very foundation of conformation bias. Scientific Rule So essentially every theory pursued, ever...

Funny you mention skepticism. How often do you apply this to your own religious beliefs?

Perpetually.

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#403  Edited By MatteoPG

@willpayton: just to butt in a little bit... I think your effort is admirable, but also I think you're wastin your time. That guy just said that he knows of species dying out but not evolving, meaning he doesn't have any information about facts that don't confirm his beliefs.

He doesn't even seem to understand how science works, stating that it is based on assumptions and authority. I don't think you're going to convince him to read a book (except the ones he was recommended by his particular religious community).

JeanRalphio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Your

@willpayton said:

@yodaprime said:

3. There is loads of proof of bible related validity. I suggest you do a quick google search before making bold claims. But then again YOU PEOPLE tend to be very dismissive of anything that doesn't affirm your point so i guess this would be a waste ;-)

Proof of what exactly? Specifically, since this is a science thread (so to stay somewhat on-topic), what science does the Bible contradict, and what proof is there that the Bible is correct and science is wrong?

Tsk Tsk.. there u go again dividing the 2 with a battle axe. Why is it so impossible for the 2 to co-exist? The Bible is a compilation of theories/stories that can act as an alternative to scientific theories. Many scientific discoveries merely derived at conclusions that the bible already outlined years before it. How you reach said conclusion is somewhat moot. A theory is a theory. Weather you derived at it by looking at a rock with a magnified lens or if you intuitively depicted a quote from a bible passage, written long before we had the technology to look at that rock, they both can be right.. and both can be way off. It all comes down to faith. For example, an evolutionist's theory is that humans and apes share a common ancestor... We discover fossils, and ancient artifacts that hint to this but since it isn't visibly occurring in nature, nor can we replicate this process, it's impossible to be absolutely positive.. unless you have such faith in current research data.

It's the gift of Rationalization. Which make's humankind fascinating.

Your reply here is the essence of theists and theologians alike, when asked to give evidence and proof of the prophecies and stories of the bible, you completely change the subject and go off on tangents(ala Ken Ham) because there is none. The man asked you for proof of things said in the bible but instead you talk about co-existing... Sure, the bible and science can co-exist, like anything else does but not on the same plane, the bible can stick around as fables and science as fact, sounds like a good co-existence to me. And also the bible isn't a book of "theories", they're just stories, a theory would need some basis in reality and the bible definetly CAN'T work as an alternative to science, that's laughable at best. Also, out of all the holy books, why should the bible be the only one that is real? Just that there should tell you about the scam of religion, why should christianity's origins be the truth and every religion be ridiculed? Once upon a time there were people who actually believed in Greek, Norse, Roman, Egyptian, Maya, Aztec, et cetera as true gospel, now imagine if there were people today going around telling people "if you die fighting, you shall dine in Valhalla and Asgard" or "worship the gods or you will spend eternity in Hades" or "dance, so the gods will give us rain", you and the vast majority of christians would just laugh and ridicule them out of the public square. To take a step further, this is what christians today are doing to the Muslims and Jews(to an extent), "my creator is better than yours", "Muhammad was a [insert expletive here]" ... Tell me, what gives a christian the right to say "the bible is real and the Quran can't be" or "Zeus is mythology and god is actually real" or "the Earth wasn't made by the Allfather, it was created by god" , what gives you that right?

YodaPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#405  Edited By YodaPrime

@jeanralphio Again by your standards i'm no christian because i'd ask the same questions. I was never personally exposed or influenced by the notion of being superior or disrespecting other religions or ideals. But then i could ask the same to you... u seem apparently fall under the perspective of scientific realism, which frames a perspective of reality is essentially separate from the human mind. reality for you is a make up of objectivity. But who's to say that's correct? Maybe the reality we perceive is essentially only a product of the mind and nothing truly "exists" beyond it. - Solipsism, or knowledge isn't much at all a cumulative compilation of passed down information, but only what you personally experience and prove for yourself via senses -Empiricism... After all, like religion, at it's core, science is a philosophy. They all have a lot in common and generally seek to answer the same questions. Again it really comes down to which vice you have faith in, and what you consider "fact." You can try to eliminate all the bias and error you like but science has, and always will involve intuition. And intuition is borderline synonymous to faith. There are many way's to teach... God's venue is story form. sorry that doesn't sit well with you.

Also sorry you've encountered some F**ked up Christians. My faith would be abysmal too if i experienced it they way you apparently have. Evils of man happens for a wide variety of reasons. Sure a lot of hate happened in the name of religion but you can't really blame that on the religion itself. God didn't make us war, that was our own sin.. "Thou shalt not kill"

Hell, slavery happened cus a few men or so were just lazy?

JeanRalphio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#406  Edited By JeanRalphio

@yodaprime said:

@jeanralphio Again by your standards i'm no christian because i'd ask the same questions. I was never personally exposed or influenced by the notion of being superior or disrespecting other religions or ideals. But then i could ask the same to you... u seem apparently fall under the perspective of scientific realism, which frames a perspective of reality is essentially separate from the human mind. reality for you is a make up of objectivity. But who's to say that's correct? Maybe the reality we perceive is essentially only a product of the mind and nothing truly "exists" beyond it. - Solipsism, or knowledge isn't much at all a cumulative compilation of passed down information, but only what you personally experience and prove for yourself via senses -Empiricism... After all, like religion, at it's core, science is a philosophy. They all have a lot in common and generally seek to answer the same questions. Again it really comes down to which vice you have faith in, and what you consider "fact." You can try to eliminate all the bias and error you like but science has, and always will involve intuition. And intuition is borderline synonymous to faith. There are many way's to teach... God's venue is story form. sorry that doesn't sit well with you.

Also sorry you've encountered some F**ked up Christians. My faith would be abysmal too if i experienced it they way you apparently have. Evils of man happens for a wide variety of reasons. Sure a lot of hate happened in the name of religion but you can't really blame that on the religion itself. God didn't make us war, that was our own sin.. "Thou shalt not kill"

Hell, slavery happened cus a few men or so were just lazy?

Wow, your world view is severely warped, I agree with @matteopg, you're a lost cause. If you believe the bible is teaching what science does, sorry dude.

YodaPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeanralphio: I prefer to say open minded. I believe in 1 thing. But,I accept I could be wrong.

Unlike your "I'm right your wrong mentality" I'd say your far more lost than me.

None of us were there when man was created. None of us have died and came back to explain the afterlife. We are all going after "tales" and "data" we think is legit. It's good to have your faith. It's ignorant to insult others.

JeanRalphio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeanralphio: I prefer to say open minded. I believe in 1 thing. But,I accept I could be wrong.

Unlike your "I'm right your wrong mentality" I'd say your far more lost than me.

None of us were there when man was created. None of us have died and came back to explain the afterlife. We are all going after "tales" and "data" we think is legit. It's good to have your faith. It's ignorant to insult others.

I don't like to entertain foolishness but me acknowledging science is not faith, I'm not wondering if god is real like you, I'm observing the science, theists need to stop equating faith with theory, it's nowhere near the same but you can say it a million times and theists still will compare them(like you continue to do, even though you are actually wrong).

First, you are right none of us were around when man first came to be but second, man wasn't created, it evolved. And I could care less about the afterlife, once I die, I die, that's it and I'm fine with that, it'll be just like before I was born.

YodaPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeanralphio that's fine. Your average person can only handle 1 perspective anyway. Life is a lot simpler when you put your "acknowledgement?" (faith) in mankind and go along with whatever we come up with as truth. Fair enough I suppose. But "only things I can touch and measure is true" seems a little limiting to our minds Imo.

JeanRalphio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeanralphio that's fine. Your average person can only handle 1 perspective anyway. Life is a lot simpler when you put your "acknowledgement?" (faith) in mankind and go along with whatever we come up with as truth. Fair enough I suppose. But "only things I can touch and measure is true" seems a little limiting to our minds Imo.

There you go with the undercover condescending, yea I'm done.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#411  Edited By willpayton
willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fun physics time... go!

Loading Video...

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hello! Seing that @willpayton seems the only person who ever bumps this thread, I wanted to make my voice heard. I have nothing major to say, but I wanted to point out one of the reasons I love science. These times have seen an increase in the hip trend of slandering science as if it was one large conspiracy based on deciding what is true and what isn't. Or to point out that science is glorified hear-say and authority arguments.

I was thinking about this last month in the lab, while trying all my best to verify something beyond any proof: I had a theory about a new microscopy technique (can't get technical for concerns of time, writing space and also I have to avoid divulging the few left hooks that make my PhD project worth publishing ;) ) and I am fairly convinced that it will work.

But the cool thing about science is that nobody ever takes your word for it. Look at Stephen Hawking (this is not a simily, mind you): he recently said that he thinks that some things he found out about black holes might not be true. Did we take his word for it? No, we waited for the peer-review. And he's freaking Stephen Hawking!

Science is the slow process of discovering how the world works and showing everybody that there is very little doubt, through making your experiments and findings critique-proof, repeatable and evident. It's a difficult and frustrating process that requires consistency, honesty and creativity. And the willingness to admit that we were wrong.

So, I want to hear it from my science peeps. Is any of you struggling with some discovery/theory? Are you sweating your head off to add something to the zeitgeist?

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A=ΣF/M

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#415  Edited By MatteoPG

@hylian said:

A=ΣF/M

Agreed... so?

EDIT: although I think that traditionally you write acceleration with a small "a", but it's not a big deal.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#416  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Science is awesome

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What happens when you drop a magnet down a copper pipe?

Find out...

Loading Video...

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#419  Edited By willpayton
No Caption Provided

http://arstechnica.com/science/2014/05/nasa-hands-space-enthusiasts-the-keys-to-a-1970s-era-spacecraft/

NASA hands space enthusiasts the keys to a 1970s-era spacecraft

NASA felt it had gotten its money's worth out of the International Sun-Earth Explorer-3 mission back in the 1980s. Its last scientific mission ended in 1997, and contact was suspended in 1998. But time and a fortuitous orbit mean that ISEE-3 is now catching up with Earth and will make a close pass this summer. When we first noted this story last year, some enthusiasts were suggesting that the probe should be revived and returned to scientific duty, but the perpetually tight budgets at NASA made that outcome unlikely.

Yesterday, NASA announced that it found a solution: it would hand the keys to the probe over to those enthusiasts.

Launched in 1978, the hardware was initially sent to the L1 Lagrange point between the Earth and Sun and was used to study the solar wind. With that mission complete, the International Sun-Earth Explorer-3 was renamed the International Cometary Explorer and was sent into orbit around the Sun, where it passed through the tails of two comets before its mission ended in 1997.

ISEE-3 is now catching up with Earth again. At last check, all its instruments were functional, which raises the possibility that it could be restored to its former location at the L1 Lagrange and returned to scientific duty. That restoration is more challenging than it might sound, as NASA hasn't maintained the hardware and communication protocols necessary to communicate with ISEE-3.

The challenge didn't deter a number of enthusiasts at the ISEE-3 Reboot project, which had been attempting to restore contact with the spacecraft without official permission. That situation changed yesterday with the announcement of an agreement between NASA and Skycorp, Inc., a company that's backing the Reboot project. The "Non-Reimbursable Space Act Agreement" gives the rebooters permission to try to control the spacecraft, and it specifies the conditions that need to be met before attempts are made to do so.

Should the attempt be successful, any new data that results will be placed in the public domain. Right now, the group has a team at the Arecibo Observatory attempting to reestablish contact.

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think people misunderstand the word theory

a coherent group of tested general propositions, commonlyregarded as correct, that can be used as principles ofexplanation and prediction for a class of phenomena.http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/theory

many people only think that a theory is not something that is correct but it is.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hylian said:

I think people misunderstand the word theory

a coherent group of tested general propositions, commonlyregarded as correct, that can be used as principles ofexplanation and prediction for a class of phenomena.http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/theory

many people only think that a theory is not something that is correct but it is.

Yeah, the common notion that the public has of a theory is more like a hypothesis in science.

In science, an accepted theory is basically something that's considered to be true, a fact, because it has been tested and substantiated by so many other facts and evidence.

SpitfirePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#422  Edited By SpitfirePanda

A taste of the future!

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-627010180bd2d
deactivated-627010180bd2d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6746eab553d
deactivated-5d6746eab553d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why do we find planets that look similar to earth but find no life on them? WHEN ARE WE GOING TO FIND LIFE ON ANOTHER PLANET DANG IT? I WANT TO SEE IT.

DemonKnights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Billions more would believe in God if he just freaking showed up and said, hey im real.

He(if real) condems people to hell just by not confirming his existence.

mikesterman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#426  Edited By mikesterman

im surprised nobody posted these memes yet...

might as well post all of em'

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xlab3000 said:

Why do we find planets that look similar to earth but find no life on them? WHEN ARE WE GOING TO FIND LIFE ON ANOTHER PLANET DANG IT? I WANT TO SEE IT.

Man, imagine discovering a Galactic Society similar to the one in Mass Effect. Would be so cool.

SpitfirePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#428  Edited By SpitfirePanda

Russia may not be giving us access to the International Space Station right now, but we still have ways of observing the stars :)

Loading Video...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xlab3000 said:

Man, imagine discovering a Galactic Society similar to the one in Mass Effect. Would be so cool.

Show me a kryptonian and saiyan for all I care. I just want to see the dang life.

SpitfirePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad
deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xlab3000 said:

Is abiogenesis a scientific fact?

It's not. It's a hypothesis and a field of study. As far as I know there's different forms of abiogenesis being studied, but none has been shown to be conclusively correct.

But, while not an accepted fact, I'd say it's the most likely explanation for how life started on Earth.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xlab3000 said:

It's not. It's a hypothesis and a field of study. As far as I know there's different forms of abiogenesis being studied, but none has been shown to be conclusively correct.

But, while not an accepted fact, I'd say it's the most likely explanation for how life started on Earth.

Thank you for the information sir.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#435  Edited By willpayton
marvel_boy2241

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xlab3000 said:

@willpayton said:

@xlab3000 said:

Well, we must know that abiogenesis happened somehow. After all, the universe didn't start off with biology. It must have arisen some other way. Maybe on Earth, maybe not. It happened science just can't explain how yet.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xlab3000 said:

@willpayton said:

@xlab3000 said:

Well, we must know that abiogenesis happened somehow. After all, the universe didn't start off with biology. It must have arisen some other way. Maybe on Earth, maybe not. It happened science just can't explain how yet.

What if we created the universe by us time traveling from the future lol.

marvel_boy2241

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xlab3000 said:

@marvel_boy2241 said:

@xlab3000 said:

@willpayton said:

@xlab3000 said:

Well that would be impossible. If you exist as matter, then you wouldn't be creating the universe. Think about it. If you exist already, then so does time, and time itself is a construction resulting from the big band.Even time didn't exist until after the big bang. This is why a creation method seems so implausible.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xlab3000 said:

@marvel_boy2241 said:

@xlab3000 said:

@willpayton said:

@xlab3000 said:

Well that would be impossible. If you exist as matter, then you wouldn't be creating the universe. Think about it. If you exist already, then so does time, and time itself is a construction resulting from the big band.Even time didn't exist until after the big bang. This is why a creation method seems so implausible.

You do realize that comment was a joke right. That was the reason I put "lol" in there. I'm about to become a 10th grade student too.

marvel_boy2241

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xlab3000 said:

@marvel_boy2241 said:

@xlab3000 said:

@marvel_boy2241 said:

@xlab3000 said:

@willpayton said:

@xlab3000 said:

You do realize that comment was a joke right. That was the reason I put "lol" in there. I'm about to become a 10th grade student too.

Woops mah bad lol. Hey I'm going to 11th grade! Is it summer yet for you because I just got out.

marvel_boy2241

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#441  Edited By marvel_boy2241

@xlab3000 said:

@marvel_boy2241 said:

@xlab3000 said:

@marvel_boy2241 said:

@xlab3000 said:

@willpayton said:

@xlab3000 said:

Woops mah bad lol. Hey I'm going to 11th grade! Is it summer yet for you because I just got out.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DaDivineKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willpayton: I have a question, is it possible that there was universe before our current Universe existed?

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#445  Edited By willpayton

@willpayton: I have a question, is it possible that there was universe before our current Universe existed?

Do you mean if our universe existed in some form before the Big Bang, or if a different universe existed?

There are several theories that follow the cyclic model which basically say that the universe could have existed before the BB and oscillates. In those cases, the BB was not the start of the universe.

Otherwise we dont know, but yes it's possible. Some current hypotheses say that there might be other, or even an infinite number of, universes that exist right now. I'd say that it's likely that there are. It makes sense that as our universe was created, through the same mechanism others would have been created as well. If there were many, or an infinite number of universes, it would explain why life was able to arise here. It'd mean that there are many with different values for the laws of physics. In many, life would not be possible, but in many it would. We just live in one of those.

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willpayton: I was watching Mythbusters. you ever heart that people shoot guns in the air and when the bullet comes down, it has enough velocity that it can hurt or kill you? They did 3 different experiments and NONE of them made the bullet go through the skull. but they went to a Doctor who had xrays to prove it happened. Contradiction? Also, ever hear of a piece of straw going through a tree during a tornado? They got straw to stick in the tree but not through it. But they posted pics of when it happened.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pooty said:

@willpayton: I was watching Mythbusters. you ever heart that people shoot guns in the air and when the bullet comes down, it has enough velocity that it can hurt or kill you? They did 3 different experiments and NONE of them made the bullet go through the skull. but they went to a Doctor who had xrays to prove it happened. Contradiction?

Yeah, I remember seeing that episode. No, no contradiction since they said that it wont fall with lethal speed when shot straight up in the air, but if it's shot at an angle, then it can come down fast enough to kill. Anyone who's been killed with falling bullets almost certainly had the bullet shot up at an angle.

@pooty said:

Also, ever hear of a piece of straw going through a tree during a tornado? They got straw to stick in the tree but not through it. But they posted pics of when it happened.

There's no way a piece of straw will go through a tree, no matter how fast it's going.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#448  Edited By willpayton
force_echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#449  Edited By force_echo

I consider myself a rabid science enthusiast even though I'm studying Business Finance and Statistics. This seems like a good thread, especially since so much science journalism is apparently written by people who have no knowledge of science (see recent reports on quantum entanglement communication and solid state light for example) or statistical design (several recent rather amateurish psychology papers I've read), this could be a good thread to talk and discuss things.

I myself have been interested in sustainable energy (isn't everyone lol) and propulsive mechanisms for space travel. Ion engines, space sails, nuclear engines, VASIMIR rockets, conventional redox engines, maybe a mix of all of the above.

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers