The Science Thread

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Looks like doctors are getting ready to try to do a full head transplant within the next few years. I really have no idea if this will even work... there's so many obstacles to overcome and possible ways it could go horribly wrong. But, it will also be very interesting to see what happens.

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/head-transplant-volunteer-might-face-fate-more-terrifying-death

No Caption Provided

Earlier this year, an Italian surgeon announced that he’ll be attempting the world’s first human head transplant, that despite the hurdles, a human head may actually be attached onto another person’s body in two years. This week, a donor was introduced, but according to at least one expert, this man might be facing something that’s “worse than death.”

It started in 2013, when Sergio Canavero of the Turin Advanced Neuromodulation Group proposed the idea of using surgery to extend the lives of people with degenerated muscles and nerves or cancer-permeated organs, New Scientist reports. Canavero summarized the36-hour procedure he plans to follow in Surgical Neurology International in February of this year. He also plans to launch the project at the annual American Academy of Neurological and Orthopaedic Surgeons meeting in Maryland this June. He’ll need a staff of 150 doctors and nurses.

Is it actually possible to fuse two spinal cords and stop the recipient’s body from rejecting the new head? Last century attempts with dogs and monkeys resulted in animals who survived for a few days, though a more recent mouse head transplant showed that it was basically possible. "I think we are now at a point when the technical aspects are all feasible," Canavero says.

After cooling the donor’s body and the recipient’s head, neck tissue is dissected, blood vessels are linked with tubes, and the spinal cords are cleanly severed, New Scientist explains. With the new head on the body, the ends of the spinal cords are fused together using a chemical that prompts fat in cell membranes to connect. Muscles and blood vessels will be sutured, and the patient will be kept comatose as electrodes stimulate the spinal cord. He calls it HEAVEN, for head anastomosis venture (anastomosis is the surgical connection of two parts).

This week, a volunteer was announced: 30-year-old Valery Spiridonov of Vladimir, Russia, who suffers from a rare genetic disorder called Werdnig-Hoffman muscle wasting disease. He wants the chance at a new body before he dies. “Am I afraid? Yes, of course I am. But it is not just very scary, but also very interesting,” Spiridonov tells Daily Mail. “You have to understand that I don't really have many choices... If I don't try this chance my fate will be very sad. With every year my state is getting worse.”

But according to Hunt Batjer of the American Association for Neurological Surgeons, even if the airway, spine, and major veins and arteries are put together, the spinal cord will be the real problem. "I would not wish this on anyone,” Batjer tells CNN. “I would not allow anyone to do it to me, there are a lot of things worse than death." For starters, the patient might not be able to move or breathe. And Arthur Caplan of New York University thinks Canavero is nuts. "Their bodies would end up being overwhelmed with different pathways and chemistry than they are used to and they'd go crazy,” he tells CNN. Also, the high levels of anti-rejection meds will poison the body, and who knows if the recipients will fully gain the function of their new parts. "It's not like you can unscrew your head and put it on someone else," Caplan adds.

Still, Canavero insists, “we can already do this.”

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Avatar image for deactivated-61bde0e570bb9
deactivated-61bde0e570bb9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KingVenus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#504  Edited By KingVenus

I have a science exam next week. >.<

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

KingVenus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#506  Edited By KingVenus
Avatar image for consolemaster001
consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

zombies everywhere

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

http://news.yahoo.com/signs-alien-life-found-2025-nasas-chief-scientist-212655192.html

Signs of Alien Life Will Be Found by 2025, NASA's Chief Scientist Predicts

Humanity is on the verge of discovering alien life, high-ranking NASA scientists say.

"I think we're going to have strong indications of life beyond Earth within a decade, and I think we're going to have definitive evidence within 20 to 30 years," NASA chief scientist Ellen Stofan said Tuesday (April 7) during a panel discussion that focused on the space agency's efforts to search for habitable worlds and alien life.

"We know where to look. We know how to look," Stofan added during the event, which was webcast live. "In most cases we have the technology, and we're on a path to implementing it. And so I think we're definitely on the road."

Former astronaut John Grunsfeld, associate administrator for NASA's Science Mission Directorate, shared Stofan's optimism, predicting that signs of life will be found relatively soon both in our own solar system and beyond.

"I think we're one generation away in our solar system, whether it's on an icy moon or on Mars, and one generation [away] on a planet around a nearby star," Grunsfeld said during Tuesday's event.

Many habitable environments

Recent discoveries suggest that the solar system and broader Milky Way galaxy teem with environments that could support life as we know it, Grunsfeld said.

For example, oceans of liquid water slosh beneath the icy shells of the Jupiter moonsEuropa and Ganymede, as well as that of the Saturn satellite Enceladus. Oceans covered much of Mars in the ancient past, and seasonal dark streaks observed on the Red Planet's surface today may be caused by salty flowing water.

Further, NASA's Curiosity rover has found carbon-containing organic molecules and "fixed" nitrogen, basic ingredients necessary for Earth-like life, on the Martian surface.

Farther afield, observations by NASA's Kepler space telescope suggest that nearly every star in the sky hosts planets — and many of these worlds may be habitable. Indeed, Kepler's work has shown that rocky worlds like Earth and Mars are probably more common throughout the galaxy than gas giants such as Saturn and Jupiter.

And just as the solar system is awash in water, so is the greater galaxy, said Paul Hertz, director of NASA's Astrophysics Division.

The Milky Way is "a soggy place," Hertz said during Tuesday's event. "We can see water in the interstellar clouds from which planetary systems and stellar systems form. We can see water in the disks of debris that are going to become planetary systems around other stars, and we can even see comets being dissipated in other solar systems as [their] star evaporates them."

Looking for life

Hunting for evidence of alien life is a much trickier proposition than identifying potentially habitable environments. But researchers are working steadily toward that more involved and ambitious goal, Stofan and others said.

For example, the agency's next Mars rover, scheduled to launch in 2020, will search for signs of past life and cache samples for a possible return to Earth for analysis. NASA also aims to land astronauts on Mars in the 2030s — a step Stofan regards as key to the search for Mars life.

"I'm a field geologist; I go out and break open rocks and look for fossils," Stofan said. "Those are hard to find. So I have a bias that it's eventually going to take humans on the surface of Mars — field geologists, astrobiologists, chemists — actually out there looking for that good evidence of life that we can bring back to Earth for all the scientists to argue about."

NASA is also planning out a mission to Europa, which may launch as early as 2022. The main goal of this $2.1 billion mission will be to shed light on the icy moon's potential habitability, but it could also search for signs of alien life: Agency officials are considering ways to sample and study the plumes of water vapor that apparently erupt from Europa's south polar region.

In the exoplanet realm, the agency's James Webb Space Telescope (JWST), an $8.8 billion instrument scheduled to launch in 2018, will scope out the atmospheres of nearby "super-Earth" alien planets, looking for gases that may have been produced by life.

JWST will scan the starlight that passes through the air of super-Earths, which are more massive than our own planet but significantly less so than gaseous worlds such as Uranus and Neptune. This method, called transit spectroscopy, will likely not work for potentially habitable Earth-size worlds, Hertz said.

Searching for biosignature gases on small, rocky exoplanets will instead probably require direct imaging of these worlds, using a "coronagraph" to block out the overwhelming glare of their parent stars, Hertz added.

NASA's potential Wide-Field Infrared Survey Telescope, which may launch in the mid-2020s if given the official go-ahead, would include a coronagraph for exoplanet observations.

I thought you said speculation was a waste of your time?

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17 said:

I thought you said speculation was a waste of your time?

I'd have to see the context of what I said. Sometimes it is, sometimes it's not. In science speculation is a vital component because it allows us to think of new possibilities, new research topics, new solutions to problems, etc.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How does magnetism interact with superconducting materials? Here you go:

Loading Video...
Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@willpayton: Not gonna lie, you sound like a total neckbeard.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thought this was really interesting...

Loading Video...

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Would anyone be interested if I posted Psychology stuff here?

/:

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccraft said:

Would anyone be interested if I posted Psychology stuff here?

/:

Go for it.

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Theory of relativity= Garbage

Nonsensical guess-work Garbage + proven physics formula and facts previously proven by others= the best way for people to accept your theory.

Thanks Einstein.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a really interesting video about how the brain learns to do things like riding a bicycle... and what happens if that changes.

Loading Video...

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Avatar image for mollydanger2210
MollyDanger2210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Theory of relativity= Garbage

Nonsensical guess-work Garbage + proven physics formula and facts previously proven by others= the best way for people to accept your theory.

Thanks Einstein.

“This is the nature of the unenlightened mind: The sense organs, which are limited in scope and ability, randomly gather information. This partial information is arranged into judgements, which are based on previous judgements, which are usually based on someone else’s foolish ideas. These false concepts and ideas are then stored in a highly selective memory system. Distortion upon distortion: the mental energy flows constantly through contorted and inappropriate channels, and the more one uses the mind, the more confused one becomes. To eliminate the vexation of the mind, it doesn’t help to do something; this only reinforces the mind’s mechanics. Dissolving the mind is instead a matter of not-doing: Simply avoid becoming attached to what you see and think. Relinquish the notion that you are separated from the all-knowing mind of the universe. Then you can recover your original pure insight and see through all illusions. Knowing nothing, you will be aware of everything. Remember: because clarity and enlightenment are within your own nature, they are regained without moving an inch.” – Lao Tzu

Perfectly describes your average theoretical physicist; completely lost in coo-coo land.

Ultragreenboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm the best of my father's semen. That is why I am here. This is science.

Infinityball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

or the only one that didn't mind

Ultragreenboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultragreenboy said:

or the only one that didn't mind

I was superior to all my semen siblings.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

http://arstechnica.com/science/2015/05/01/house-science-committee-guts-nasa-earth-sciences-budget/

Congress is gutting the Earth Sciences budget of NASA:

"Yesterday, by a party-line vote, Republicans in the House Committee on Science, Space, and Technology approved a budget authorization for NASA that would see continued spending on Orion and the Space Launch System but slash the agency's budget for Earth sciences. This vote follows the committee's decision to cut the NSF's geoscience budget and comes after a prominent attack on NASA's Earth sciences work during a Senate hearing, all of which suggests a concerted campaign against the researchers who, among other things, are telling us that climate change is a reality."

ElderSkaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CERN - LHC BEAM - LIGHTSPEED CRASH - BREAKING THE RULES OF REALITY - BLACK HOLE OPENS - EARTH GETS SUCKED IN - BYE BYE SCIENCE

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#525  Edited By willpayton

The notions of space and time in modern physics can be hard to explain. I think this video does a good job of introducing people to the idea of spacetime and how the universe works in the sense of how time passes and how we experience causality.

Enjoy...

Loading Video...
dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thought this was really interesting...

Loading Video...

Cool.

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willpayton: It took me a while to learn how to ride a bike :I

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#528  Edited By willpayton

I thought this was pretty cool... also I wonder how many people born in the last 20 years even remember what an LP was? =)

Loading Video...

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Time to bump this thread with some science! =)

Anyway, I know from this thread and others (like the religion thread) that people often have a hard time with scientific terms like "theory" or "hypothesis" and how much validity they grant an idea. I saw this video and thought it might be helpful. Enjoy.

Loading Video...

pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maths > Science

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#531  Edited By willpayton

I just recently found this YT channel that has a series of amazing science videos... I hope everyone goes and checks them out. They're not for the timid, but they do a great job of explaining some of the most interesting (and difficult) topics in physics like General Relativity, Dark Matter, Zombies, and much more.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7_gcs09iThXybpVgjHZ_7g/videos

Their latest video is pretty good... and goes into the subject of the speed of light and why it's the cosmic speed limit.

Loading Video...

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#532  Edited By dernman
Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

You're all blasphemers and witches.

Enjoy hell.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Even I'm not this dog crazy.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:
Loading Video...

Wonder how long it will be before we can clone ourselves. Imagine cloning yourself and raising him/her as your son/daughter.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#536  Edited By dernman

@willpayton said:
@dernman said:
Loading Video...

Wonder how long it will be before we can clone ourselves. Imagine cloning yourself and raising him/her as your son/daughter.

I think if they don't already know how to clone humans then it will be soon. The only thing delaying it at this point is ethical and moral implications

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How would we get to another star system if we had to quickly?

Here are some answers!

Loading Video...

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread is still as awesome as always. Good.

Glad to hear that people like it.

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Two earliest Fossils of Living Things

The Precambrian Fossils are the Earliest.

#1 Cyanobacteria in Stromatolites

No Caption Provided

The very earliest fossils of living things are Stromatolites.

The earliest ones are dated at 3.5 billion geological years old.

They are formed of cyanobacteria colonies.

A cyanobacteria colony is also known as Blue/green algae.

These bacteria exist today because it is the same bacteria that colonizes to produce the blue green algae that we see in wet environments all over the world right now.

This earliest known life is a highly technical piece of machinery...

...For movement they secrete fluid and then propel themselves through that fluid.

...They possess the photosynthesis system.

...Cyanobacteria are able to reproduce through three known methods which are, -binary fission; budding and fragmentation.

3 Billion Geological Years Later (Still in the Precambrian Period)

#2 Paleophragmodictya (Sponge)

No Caption Provided

The second earliest fossil of a living thing is a sponge.

The oldest known sponge in the fossil record, was described in 1996 as coming from the Vandian or Ediacaran of Southern Australia dating to the period of 650 to 543 million geological years ago.

Sponges exist today.

This second earliest known life is also a highly technical piece of machinery...

...They use a water flow system through their body to obtain food and oxygen which they metabolise using other highly technical celular systems. They are also able to open and shut the water entry and exit from their bodies.

...Sponges reproduce through fertilization of eggs with sperm, another incredibly complex system.

Khael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate science >_<

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#543  Edited By pipxeroth
Loading Video...

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for naturallygifted
NaturallyGifted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#546  Edited By willpayton

@naturallygifted said:

What are your thoughts that we may have come across a Dyson Sphere?

Possible Dyson Sphere located 1480 light years away

There have been a lot, and I mean a lot of articles lately making a big deal of this and making it seem like scientists actually think that we might have discovered some alien structures out there around that star. This is just not true. Is it a possibility? Sure. Is it a likely possibility? No. There's a whole list of things that it may be and "alien megastructures" is near the bottom.

These articles are just being sensationalist and trying to get attention and views.

What's probably around that star is a bunch of gas and dust, maybe even some other stuff like pieces of a planet or comets or whatever. It'd be cool if we can look and find evidence of aliens, but I certainly wouldnt put my money on it.

Avatar image for naturallygifted
NaturallyGifted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@naturallygifted said:

There have been a lot, and I mean a lot of articles lately making a big deal of this and making it seem like scientists actually think that we might have discovered some alien structures out there around that star. This is just not true. Is it a possibility? Sure. Is it a likely possibility? No. There's a whole list of things that it may be and "alien megastructures" is near the bottom.

These articles are just being sensationalist and trying to get attention and views.

What's probably around that star is a bunch of gas and dust, maybe even some other stuff like pieces of a planet or comets or whatever. It'd be cool if we can look and find evidence of aliens, but I certainly wouldnt put my money on it.

Yeah i'll have to agree with the dust cloud theory for now, but we never know, the information we have is over a millennia old. But could imagine the implications for science and our way of life if it was a Dyson sphere?

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#548  Edited By willpayton

@naturallygifted said:
@willpayton said:
@naturallygifted said:

Yeah i'll have to agree with the dust cloud theory for now, but we never know, the information we have is over a millennia old. But could imagine the implications for science and our way of life if it was a Dyson sphere?

I'm sure the results are interesting enough for some telescope time to be allocated on something like the VLA. Once we can get a better look at the spectra of the light that's coming from there we'll be able to tell what's there... or what isnt.

Of course it'd be great if this was our first evidence for extra-terrestrial civilizations... I mean, freaking awesome! But I'm a realist, and also I see too many of these articles misrepresenting the scientific findings almost every single time something like this comes along.

Anyway, best case scenario is it'd be what's called a "Dyson Swarm" and not a proper Dyson Sphere. Why? Dyson Sphere's are not really that feasible or stable.

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#549  Edited By TheDandyMan

I've been looking a little bit into what politics is like in America seeing as the elections are getting closer and conservatives in the US are pretty different to conservatives in England. While I'm definitely not saying that all right-wingers over there are anti-scientific, I see this sort of stuff on a lot off Republican Facebook feeds. Alfred Wegner put forward the idea of continental drift in the early 1910s, it seems like the news site conveniently forgot to mention this not-so-new idea and how the area which the bones were found in is thought to have been covered by the Tethys Sea tens of millions of years ago. I just think both sides of the story should be given rather than instantly throwing all scientific theories out.

Don't want to just be a downer though so here's an estimate of what the World could possibly look like in millions of years time:

Loading Video...

Chazz85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hello I would like to know everyones opinion on the strange object orbiting that star which we cannot identify. I personally believe it could be a dyson sphere. Also SCIENCE PEOPLE IT'S 2015 WHERE IS MY HOVERBOARD!