#1 Edited by k4tzm4n (45537 posts) - - Show Bio

The Raid: Redemption Review

Writing a review for The Raid: Redemption is an incredibly difficult task. It's not a complicated movie and I don't need to dance around spoilers, but it's just that no amount of praise will really do this film proper justice. People have been calling it the best action movie in awhile, and I can confidently say that those people are absolutely right. The Raid not only lives up to the hype, but it surpasses it with a roundhouse kick square in the face. You're going to have a ridiculous amount of fun watching this movie from start to finish. It's simply an experience that all action fans need to check out at least once. It's brutal, relentless, jaw dropping and one of the most entertaining movies I have ever watched. I imagine I'll see it at least once more in theaters and get the blu-ray right when it hits.

If you've watched the trailer, then you're pretty much up to date with the plot. A criminal kingpin is lurking in a tenement tower filled with goons that'll obey his every command. A squad of incredibly talented SWAT officers are sent in to take the villain out. The focus is on Rama (Iko Uwais), the newbie on the team with a pregnant wife. Despite the dangers of the mission, his reason for going on the seemingly suicidal task will unfold over the course of the movie.

But let's be real, this story isn't why you're going to see The Raid. You want insane action, and director Gareth Evans delivers an overdose of awesomeness in that regard. Theses are some of the most impressive melees you'll ever witness. The choreography is stunning, wowing us with incredible technique in combination with using the environment for some of the most powerful impacts I've ever witnessed in a film. And this isn't the same fight scene over and over. Each will amaze you more and more as the encounters become more ruthless and engaging. I lost track of how many times people in the audience yelled "OHHH!"
What helps make the hand-to-hand battles even more powerful is the way the film is shot. Shaky cam rarely interferes with our focus and the camera work is done in a manner that lets us fully appreciate each and every one of the crazy fast and vicious punches, kicks and stabs. The lack of quick cuts is fully appreciated as well, helping us follow the almost super-humanly fast martial arts. Mike Shinoda of Linkin Park lends his talents to create the soundtrack, and the electronic songs compliment the pace of the film extremely well.

The plot isn't going to get you emotionally invested, but that hardly matters when you're so enthralled by some of the most amazing fight sequences you'll ever see. The Raid: Redemption is one hell of a good time and, for a lack of betters words, is ridiculously awesome. If you even remotely enjoy action movies, you absolutely have to see this one. Unfortunately, The Raid: Redemption is only a limited release, so go here to see if it's playing near you. And if it is, I highly recommend you see it ASAP.

A+

Staff
#2 Posted by Erik (33008 posts) - - Show Bio

I will see this just because of your opinion on it and nothing else!

#3 Posted by k4tzm4n (45537 posts) - - Show Bio

@Erik: Good man.

/mails $20

Staff
#4 Posted by k4tzm4n (45537 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's just a small taste of the movie:

Staff
#5 Posted by HolySerpent (12564 posts) - - Show Bio

I reaally want to see this movie

#6 Posted by HolySerpent (12564 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll probably wait to it hit DVD

#7 Posted by k4tzm4n (45537 posts) - - Show Bio
Staff
#8 Posted by k4tzm4n (45537 posts) - - Show Bio

Has anyone else seen it?

Staff
#9 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11265 posts) - - Show Bio

Looking forward to the high-octane kick arse martial arts action. I enjoy the fact that Mike from LP is working on the music. Should be cool.

I tried posting on your site, wouldn't let me.

#10 Posted by k4tzm4n (45537 posts) - - Show Bio

@Supreme Marvel: Blogger is odd like that. Thanks for reading it, though :D

Staff
#11 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11265 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: It's finding the bloody blu-ray in England that'll be the problem. Not on any site that I usually check.

#12 Posted by k4tzm4n (45537 posts) - - Show Bio

@Supreme Marvel: They say the movie will come to the UK in May :D

Staff
#13 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11265 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: Hate when that happens.

#14 Posted by k4tzm4n (45537 posts) - - Show Bio

@Supreme Marvel: At least it's heading your way soon!

Staff
#15 Posted by k4tzm4n (45537 posts) - - Show Bio

It fills me with sadness that this movie isn't getting more attention!

Staff
#16 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Holy crap! I can't believe that I've never even heard of this film before! Looks absolutely underrated and your review just solidifies my thoughts.

I'll check it out and give you my thoughts, but awesome review as always!

#17 Posted by k4tzm4n (45537 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

Holy crap! I can't believe that I've never even heard of this film before! Looks absolutely underrated and your review just solidifies my thoughts.

I'll check it out and give you my thoughts, but awesome review as always!

Thank you! Yeah man, it's such a superb movie and it's a shame it's not getting the attention it honestly deserves. Looking forward to your thoughts when you eventually see it.

Staff
#18 Posted by Erik (33008 posts) - - Show Bio

Every one of these clips seem as though they were copied right from my sexual fantasies and made reality! :O

#19 Posted by k4tzm4n (45537 posts) - - Show Bio

@Erik: That's likely how you'll feel about the entire movie. It's that good.

Staff
#20 Posted by spartan92 (2520 posts) - - Show Bio

#21 Posted by k4tzm4n (45537 posts) - - Show Bio

@spartan92: LOL

Staff
#22 Posted by spartan92 (2520 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: After reading your review and watching those youtube links im definitely watching this.

#23 Posted by k4tzm4n (45537 posts) - - Show Bio

@spartan92: Happy to hear it, man. It's an awesome movie and deserves the support. I'm trying to help spread the word since it's not getting a lot of public attention :D

Staff
#24 Posted by Illuminatus (9509 posts) - - Show Bio

Excellent film. I literally have no qualms with any of it's execution. I haven't enjoyed an action film that much since 13 Assassins.

#25 Posted by k4tzm4n (45537 posts) - - Show Bio

@Illuminatus: Glad you also fell in love with it.

I haven't enjoyed an action movie this much since... forever. I had a blast with The Protector, but even that pales in comparison to this.

Staff
#26 Posted by Illuminatus (9509 posts) - - Show Bio
@k4tzm4n: The Protector gets old after the third or fourth viewing. I could watch The Raid for 24 hours straight on a loop and not get tired of it. It truly is an instant classic.
#27 Posted by k4tzm4n (45537 posts) - - Show Bio

@Illuminatus: Funny you say that. I told my gf the other day that the only flaw The Raid has is that it's not on loop!

Yeah, The Protector isn't a great movie or anything I'd choose to watch again, but it was a lot of ridiculous fun the first time I saw it in theaters. Regardless, I feel The Raid has spoiled us. It'll be hard to appreciate action films after this, hah.

Staff
#28 Posted by Ferro Vida (34678 posts) - - Show Bio

I am not even a little disappointed by this review.

#29 Posted by k4tzm4n (45537 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ferro Vida: w00t! Is it playing near you within the next few months?

Staff
#30 Posted by Ferro Vida (34678 posts) - - Show Bio
@k4tzm4n: Not likely ): I'll have to pass my time with Wrath of the Titans
#31 Posted by k4tzm4n (45537 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ferro Vida: Unacceptable!

Staff
#32 Posted by k4tzm4n (45537 posts) - - Show Bio

Another clip for you guys to enjoy!

Staff
#33 Posted by texasdeathmatch (13171 posts) - - Show Bio

@Illuminatus said:

Excellent film. I literally have no qualms with any of it's execution. I haven't enjoyed an action film that much since 13 Assassins.

ooooooooOOOOOOOh really?

#34 Posted by k4tzm4n (45537 posts) - - Show Bio

@texasdeathmatch:

Staff
#35 Posted by texasdeathmatch (13171 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: f*ck man, I don't know if I can wait till the weekend...

#36 Posted by k4tzm4n (45537 posts) - - Show Bio

@texasdeathmatch: My advice? See it tonight and then again this weekend.

For real.

Staff
#37 Posted by Ferro Vida (34678 posts) - - Show Bio
@k4tzm4n: >: 

Hook a brutha up
#38 Posted by Lunacyde (19319 posts) - - Show Bio

Is this in theatres now?

#39 Posted by Mercy_ (92760 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lunacyde said:

Is this in theatres now?

Yes. saw it tonight and can't stop raving about it.

#40 Posted by k4tzm4n (45537 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Dark Huntress: He's a wise man :D

@Lunacyde: Limited releases... Not sure where you are, but here's the when/where showings for PA. If ANY are remotely near, I highly recommend seeing it.

UA Riverview Plaza 17PhiladelphiaPA4/06
AMC NeshaminyBensalemPA4/06
UA King Of Prussia 15 & ImaxKing Of PrussiaPA4/06
Plymouth Meeting 12Plymouth MeetingPA4/06
Destinta's Chartiers 20BridgevillePA4/13
Promenade 16Center ValleyPA4/13
Downingtown Cinema 16DowningtownPA4/13
Carmike 15GreensburgPA4/13
Manor Cinemas 16LancasterPA4/13
Pittsburgh North 11McCandless ParkPA4/13
Destinta´S Plaza East 22North VersaillesPA4/13
Premiere 9State CollegePA4/13
Warrington Crossing 22WarringtonPA4/13
Waterfront TheatreWest HomesteadPA4/13
Staff
#41 Posted by Mercy_ (92760 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: Whispers. He's a movie nerd.

Of course, who am I to judge.

#42 Posted by Lunacyde (19319 posts) - - Show Bio
@k4tzm4n: Thanx  man. However as it turns out I live in the Empty Section of PA without movie awesomeness lol. I'll probably wait for DVD just because i don't want to drive hours for a movie lol
#43 Posted by k4tzm4n (45537 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Dark Huntress: My girlfriend isn't really an action movie fan and she thought it was really good. It's easily one of the most entertaining movies I've seen since.... um...I suppose ever, honestly. It's just epic action, a bit of tension, epic action, a bit of tension, repeat x5.

@Lunacyde: Awww, damn.

Staff
#44 Posted by Lunacyde (19319 posts) - - Show Bio
@k4tzm4n: Wish I was the Flash...just run to a theatre lol
#45 Posted by k4tzm4n (45537 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lunacyde: Dude, I'd see it every night with that power.

Staff
#46 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

Is the Martial Arts on this film Pencak Silat?

#47 Posted by k4tzm4n (45537 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, there's a focus on silat but BTS videos say they incorporate plenty of other arts for different characters.

Staff
#48 Posted by entropy_aegis (15338 posts) - - Show Bio

ZOMG IT WAS...I have'nt seen it yet.

#49 Posted by k4tzm4n (45537 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis: !

Staff
#50 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29501 posts) - - Show Bio

So apparently this movie is amazing...?