The Prince of Persia: Sands of Time Movie

Insignia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Insignia

Don't know about anyone else but I'm eagerly awaiting the PoP movie...

One second...

Why, pray tell, is Gyllenhaal playing the Prince?! For crying out loud why not a Persian/Iranian actor to play him!?

David Zandi, actor, member of the Persian royal family, learned in horse riding, fencing (many styles) , martials arts , contact and extreme sports.

Perfect...

Jake Gyllenhaal is an American actor and apparent descendent of the Swedish royal family.

Last time I checked...That's pretty far away from being Persian...

Then I thought, nevermind, Hollywood does that a lot, especially due to many constraints of time, effort etc. Then I checked the cast list and strangely enough there were no Iranians to be found in the main cast.

With movies I appreciate the authenticity if set in particular settings, so I find this change extremely disappointing. My question is...

Why!?

Why would Jordan Mechner commit a blunder by going for Persian-esque authenticty in the games but then pull out when the Hollywood conversion appears?

There is an obvious question that will be asked of Hollywood, but other than that I wanted to hear my fellow Viner superheroes' response, what you all think and whether it bothers you as much as it bothers me.

The Persians are Indo-Europeans and sorry Jake, you don't look Indo-European to me..nor does any of the rest of cast.

The key is...the Prince of PERSIA, it's in the name.

As for the Prince himself, if they didn't want to go for authenticity they should still cast someone more appropriate like David Belle (French Movie: District 13)

I'll still see the film I think, but this is not a good start for this movie.
Discuss?

Jax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Jax

I might not see it because they gave The Prince a name....I wanted him to stay nameless. I might still see it but history says all video games that become movies suck. And all movies that are video games suck. So I don't know. I love the games but a live action film is probably going to suck. If they had some people who were actually from Persia the movie would be better to me. You know. The poster should look like this though.

caption
caption

Insignia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Insignia

That's hilarious!

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Hector

Hahaha! I wasn't expecting that!

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By King_Saturn
LOL

Sweet.  Fresh Prince Of Persia  !
Adam Vertigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Adam Vertigo

lol nice...

Jax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jax
King Saturn said:
"LOL

"
That's why the role should go to Will Smith.
King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By King_Saturn
Jax said:
"King Saturn said:
"LOL

"
That's why the role should go to Will Smith."
Yeah Why Not ?
shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

Isn't Michael Bay supposed to be directing this?

Hedatary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hedatary
Insignia said:
"Don't know about anyone else but I'm eagerly awaiting the PoP movie...

One second...

Why, pray tell, is Gyllenhaal playing the Prince?! For crying out loud why not a Persian/Iranian actor to play him!?

David Zandi, actor, member of the Persian royal family, learned in horse riding, fencing (many styles) , martials arts , contact and extreme sports.

Perfect...

Jake Gyllenhaal is an American actor and apparent descendent of the Swedish royal family.

Last time I checked...That's pretty far away from being Persian...

Then I thought, nevermind, Hollywood does that a lot, especially due to many constraints of time, effort etc. Then I checked the cast list and strangely enough there were no Iranians to be found in the main cast.

With movies I appreciate the authenticity if set in particular settings, so I find this change extremely disappointing. My question is...

Why!?

Why would Jordan Mechner commit a blunder by going for Persian-esque authenticty in the games but then pull out when the Hollywood conversion appears?

There is an obvious question that will be asked of Hollywood, but other than that I wanted to hear my fellow Viner superheroes' response, what you all think and whether it bothers you as much as it bothers me.

The Persians are Indo-Europeans and sorry Jake, you don't look Indo-European to me..nor does any of the rest of cast.

The key is...the Prince of PERSIA, it's in the name.

As for the Prince himself, if they didn't want to go for authenticity they should still cast someone more appropriate like Luc Besson (French Movie: District 13)

I'll still see the film I think, but this is not a good start for this movie.
Discuss?"
Dude, i'm not even going to bother making my own case in this other board i go to because i'm stealing this one and pasting it XD You took the words right out of my mouth. And the poster was helarious. Will Smith ftw.

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By No_Name_
Avatar image for loaded_revolver
Loaded Revolver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Loaded Revolver

Are you ok?            BUSTA WOLF!!!!!

GreyGoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GreyGoose

eww...i heard disney was producing the movie...if they are

every1 is screwed -_-

Jax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jax
GreyGoose said:
"

every1 is screwed -_-

"

THEY ARE?

sh!t.
Hedatary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Hedatary
GreyGoose said:
"

every1 is screwed -_-

"
...Oh god...omg! My favorite game is going down the drain even before the movie came out. Fcking hell i'm so pissed right now.
King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By King_Saturn
GreyGoose said:
"

every1 is screwed -_-

"
YES WE ARE !
GreyGoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By GreyGoose
King Saturn said:
"GreyGoose said:
"

every1 is screwed -_-

"
YES WE ARE !"

yup were gonna be screwed -_-
King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By King_Saturn
Disney will give Prince of Persia the Stink Face...
Jax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jax
King Saturn said:
"Disney will give Prince of Persia the Stink Face..."

No they'll rape the prince then when someone capable makes a Prince of Persia movie there will be mickey mouse heads with blood coming from them in the streets.
GreyGoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By GreyGoose
Jax said:
"King Saturn said:

No they'll rape the prince then when someone capable makes a Prince of Persia movie there will be mickey mouse heads with blood coming from them in the streets."

ROFLMAO
pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By pixelized
Yawn

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/off-topic/5/prince-of-persia-movie/18202/#9
Hedatary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Hedatary
GreyGoose said:
"Jax said:
"King Saturn said:

No they'll rape the prince then when someone capable makes a Prince of Persia movie there will be mickey mouse heads with blood coming from them in the streets."

ROFLMAO"
Well...i certianly be part of that.
deadpool90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By deadpool90
@Insignia:
hahaha yea man it is kinda wierd but still i think its going to be super sick u know............... hopefully 
gunswordfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By gunswordfist
@Jax said:
" I might not see it because they gave The Prince a name....I wanted him to stay nameless. I might still see it but history says all video games that become movies suck. And all movies that are video games suck. So I don't know. I love the games but a live action film is probably going to suck. If they had some people who were actually from Persia the movie would be better to me. You know. The poster should look like this though.

caption
caption
"
That's funny as hell!
Higinia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Higinia

This movie was brilliant and you can't deny that Jake Gyllenhaal looks quite similar to the Prince.

KanniBalKinG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By KanniBalKinG

The same could be said about, Spartacus: Blood & Sand, why do all the actors have Australian accents rather than mediteranean ones, we all know mediteranean dialects sound nothing like British or Australian, we all know british people don't look mediteranean at all, but the fact is, it would be twice as hard, and take much more time to do it the "right way", they could cast a crap load of Greeks, Italians, French, Portuguese, Spaniards in Spartacus, that would take moniez, the important thing is the story, the trick is also knowing international stars who are actualy good, they just take the easy way out and use the resources they have. 

Mira in Spartacus is practicaly the only one who looked mediteranean, but then again she is mediteranean 

No Caption Provided

The same could be said for Dragon Ball Z, when they complained about the actors, when they all damn well know, the characters in Anime look more Caucasian than they do a real (not artificial) Asian person, some people will use the "Well he's technicaly not Caucasian" he's an alien, Yea? so is Superman, but we all know Superman has Eurocentric features, and next time you find an alien why don't you suggest them to be casted?

@Hedatory 

I don't know why, Disney has a long track record of releasing AAA movies, their track record is better than most, people make them out to be worse than they are, because its popular to hate them, when in all honesty there is not one childrens corp that can compete with them.
Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Vortex13
@KanniBalKinG: It bugs me that every movie set in the past, in some ancient civilization, everyone has a British accent but I've learned to accept it. The thing is though Gyllenhaal's British accent is f##king terrible lol it's all slurred he sounds drunk in the trailers lol.
KanniBalKinG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By KanniBalKinG
@Vortex13:  

Does he now? 

*Goes to watch trailers* 

And yea one of the critics mentioned that about Spartacus: Blood & Sand......i believe he said "Since when do people around the mediteranean sea sound like Pirates of the carribean".