The Oscar Pistorius verdict

Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Paracelsus

Now that South African athlete Oscar Pistorius has not only been convicted of the murder of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp but has been sentenced to five years in prison(by a black woman judge no less- things have certainly changed in South Africa since the bad old days of apartheid!), what lessons do we draw from this "trial of the century"?

Firstly the judge correctly rejected defence pleas that Pistorius should get a"free pass" from jail based on his physical disability(and presumably on his fame as Paralympic contestant and his wealth although he claims to be virtually destitute due to legal fees).

Secondly, given that South Africa has one of the highest rates of rape and other forms of violence against women in the known world, the judge sent a message to other abusers that there will be "zero tolerance" for it.

Anybody else think as I do?

Terry

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

He got a slap on the wrist. He can be out of jail in ten months and serve the remainder of his sentence under house arrest. Just like many other countries, the victim of someone famous gets barely a mention and it becomes all about the defending criminal.

Poor Ms Steenkamp. I wish nothing but consolation and sympathy towards her family and loved ones. I hope they manage to find comfort in the memories they have of her.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Lol 5 years. That's it? Great job indeed.