The Official Far Cry thread

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By WarBlade539

Seeing as we'll be getting the newest iteration in the Far Cry franchise on November 18th, 2014, it's high time someone made one of these.

This will be the official thread to discuss everything Far Cry. From the original CryTek game to the Ubisoft ones. From critiquing the old ones to putting forward expectations for the new one. From discussing story, gameplay or visual elements to even forming groups for co-op or multiplayer matches. If you love Far Cry, this, is the place to be.

Let's start by looking at Far Cry 4:-

Personally, being a huge fan of the Far Cry series, FC 4 has been one of my most anticipated games for 2014. And watching Far Cry 4 being revealed in the Ubi E3 2014 Conference blew my mind in every way possible.

The main baddie, Pagan Min, looks nefarious, scary and just an all-around badass. Being voiced by Troy Baker only adds to the overall awesomeness. Good first impression.

The gameplay is reminiscent of Far Cry 3, and that's a good thing. There's still the choice of either being a sneaky ninja or a loud beserker. The open-world looks gorgeous and extremely detailed. Being someone who has visited Northern India, Nepal and other Himalayan places, I can personally vouch for the authenticity of the environments.

And there is also the chance that we may be playing as a Gurkha this time around; indigenous tribes of Nepal and one of the most feared and respected military units on the planet. For more details on their badassery, click here.

Pagan Min Nemesis Reveal trailer

Far Cry 4 gameplay trailer

Eisenfauste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't played any of them, though they look pretty neat.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

I'll probably get 4

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't played any of them, though they look pretty neat.

I highly recommend Far Cry 3. Easily one of the best games of 2012. Diverse open-world, highly polished gameplay with meaningful tactical choices, impressive gunplay and a good story with a fantastic and memorable villain.
I am sure many gamers will vouch for Far Cry 3. :)

Eisenfauste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WarBlade539: Lol I know for a fact Monsterstomp would. Are any of the previous Far Cry's good, they seemed kind of lackluster IMO.

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WarBlade539: Lol I know for a fact Monsterstomp would. Are any of the previous Far Cry's good, they seemed kind of lackluster IMO.

My man @monsterstomp. :)
Well, Far Cry 1 was made by CryTek and it's quite an old game. It involved a crazy over-the-top storyline, mutants, crazy scientists and stuff. But it introduced the open-world storyline and it was extremely good for it's time and even now, in fact.

Far Cry 2 was Ubisoft's first Far Cry game and a lot of the elements in Far Cry 3 were introduced in Far Cry 2. It isn't a bad game, just wasn't properly executed. There were a lot of annoying elements like constantly respawning enemies and jamming weapons but it was more immersive and a lot harder. I liked it but I enjoyed FC 3 even more because that was when Ubisoft perfected every element they tried introducing in FC 2.

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By WarBlade539
Gar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That gameplay video... absolutely beautiful and amazing.

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gar said:

That gameplay video... absolutely beautiful and amazing.

I know right. The car takedown was ridiculously awesome and was a much needed gameplay element. Also, if that means we are gonna have car chases in Far Cry 4, all the better.

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Isn't remarkable how the series had changed since the original game. They are not even in the same plane.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Lol last nights Kings game was too much and I'm still recovering. I thought I read the official Fat Cry thread. I'm going back to sleep.

No Caption Provided

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By WarBlade539

@dragonborn_ct said:

Isn't remarkable how the series had changed since the original game. They are not even in the same plane.

Yep. The series changed radically, for the better, after Ubisoft bought it.

WheatStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The new crossbow looks great, a sneaky headshot weapon for ambush, and then elephants for crowd control.

I hope Ubi realizes Blood Dragon fans are expecting a sequel. Far Cry 4: Knight Rider Vs. A-Team ... or something. :)

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The new crossbow looks great, a sneaky headshot weapon for ambush, and then elephants for crowd control.

I hope Ubi realizes Blood Dragon fans are expecting a sequel. Far Cry 4: Knight Rider Vs. A-Team ... or something. :)

Hehe! Blood Dragon was awesome and Ubi Montreal said that Blood Dragon 2 is not outta the question. :D
One of my favorite YouTubers went to E3 and tried out FC 4. He said that they have really ramped up the difficulty this time around. That there are moments when 30-40 enemies would be hunting you at any given time. That's great news, imo.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I've played all the far cry games, never finished the second because of a bugged save but I played it anyway. I will be trying FC4 out mostly in hopes of the same level of character interactions as the third have, imho that is what I liked about the series, the gameplay has been okay but nothing that stands out to me.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eisenfauste said:

Well, Far Cry 1 was made by CryTek and it's quite an old game. It involved a crazy over-the-top storyline, mutants, crazy scientists and stuff. But it introduced the open-world storyline and it was extremely good for it's time and even now, in fact.

Far Cry 2 was Ubisoft's first Far Cry game and a lot of the elements in Far Cry 3 were introduced in Far Cry 2. It isn't a bad game, just wasn't properly executed. There were a lot of annoying elements like constantly respawning enemies and jamming weapons but it was more immersive and a lot harder. I liked it but I enjoyed FC 3 even more because that was when Ubisoft perfected every element they tried introducing in FC 2.

Well I sure missed a lot of news.

I'm really digging Far Cry 4. I'm really excited! Especially after Far Cry 3.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Far Cry 1 is irrelevant.

Far Cry 2 was pretty alright.

Far Cry 3 was more amazing than it had any right to be.

Hopefully Far Cry 4 will continue this upward trend, because the series is really great now.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DarthAznable

I got really bored with 3 but I liked 2 a lot. Predator was stupid bad on console.

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WarBlade539 said:

@eisenfauste said:

Welcome back, mate. And yes, I agree, Far Cry 4 looks ridiculously badass and the new 'drop-in-drop-out' co-op feature especially sounds awesome.
My only question is, how big exactly is the map compared to Far Cry 3? And can we clip the snow-capped Himalayan peaks that we saw in the gameplay videos?
Imagine how sweet it would be to wingsuit from the top o' one of those mountains and glide straight down for a 'death-from-above' takedown.

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

Far Cry 1 is irrelevant.

Far Cry 2 was pretty alright.

Far Cry 3 was more amazing than it had any right to be.

Hopefully Far Cry 4 will continue this upward trend, because the series is really great now.

While I do agree with you on certain fronts, Far Cry 1 is far from irrelevant. It was a fantastic game, back in the day and it started the series. And most people consider it to be the game that inspired Crysis.

And yes, Far Cry 3 was 'smack-my-tuckus' amazing. ^_^
My only complaint was that it was ridiculously easy even on the hardest difficulty. That bow one-shot everything besides predators.

I got really bored with 3 but I liked 2 a lot. Predator was stupid bad on console.

2 was cool, mate. But may I ask as to why you found 3 boring? Was it the lack of immersiveness or the lack of difficulty?

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WarBlade539: It was too easy and like most open world games, the side quests got repetitive pretty fast. The story itself also didn't hold my interest. I really liked the realism that was in Far Cry 2. Far Cry 3 was a great game don't get me wrong, just not my taste...I'm hoping Far Cry 4 can change that.

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WarBlade539: It was too easy and like most open world games, the side quests got repetitive pretty fast. The story itself also didn't hold my interest. I really liked the realism that was in Far Cry 2. Far Cry 3 was a great game don't get me wrong, just not my taste...I'm hoping Far Cry 4 can change that.

I feel you, dude. The side-missions do tend to get kinda dull. You have your usual Supply Drop quests and even though the devs did a pretty sweet job of making each Supply Drop challenging in it's own way but after a while, they do tend to grind on you. And the lack of story-based side-quests was pretty evident. The ones that were present were kinda pathetic, tbh. I remember collecting flowers for a schizophrenic old person in one, lol.

I enjoyed FC 3 because of the gameplay, the open-world setting, the outposts, the sweet-as-hell hunting mechanic and even the first half of the story. And yeah, like you said, I hope FC 4 improves on every aspect of 3.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WarBlade539: I heard the last boss fight was super anti climactic. Most of the boss fights were honestly. Leave the QTE's to God of War!

After seeing the gameplay for Far Cry 4 at E3 though...Man I'm intrigued. I love Himalayan type settings.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JakeN7

@WarBlade539: Sorry, let me elaborate. I don't mean it's irrelevant as in it sucks. I mean it's irrelevant because it might as well be a completely different series than its sequels. It has almost none of the same elements that were in 2 and 3 (save for also being an FPS), it was made by a different developer, and it was published by a different publisher.

Oh and yes, before Far Cry 2 and 3, I could've sworn that Far Cry and Crysis were the same series (Crytek is sooooo clever with their naming /sarcasm).

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

@WarBlade539: Sorry, let me elaborate. I don't mean it's irrelevant as in it sucks. I mean it's irrelevant because it might as well be a completely different series than its sequels. It has almost none of the same elements that were in 2 and 3 (save for also being an FPS), it was made by a different developer, and it was published by a different publisher.

Ah. Gotcha.
Thanks for clearing that up, lol. What is your opinion on the main baddie in Far Cry 4, Pagan Min? Did you know that Pagan Min was actually a 19th Century Burmese King? :D

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monsterstomp said:

Welcome back, mate. And yes, I agree, Far Cry 4 looks ridiculously badass and the new 'drop-in-drop-out' co-op feature especially sounds awesome.

My only question is, how big exactly is the map compared to Far Cry 3? And can we clip the snow-capped Himalayan peaks that we saw in the gameplay videos?

Imagine how sweet it would be to wingsuit from the top o' one of those mountains and glide straight down for a 'death-from-above' takedown.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I really hope this fictional island is just as huge as Far Cry 3. It just looks amazing. The wing suiting looks phenomenal and I could definitely see myself in a trans-like state climbing to the top of a mountain and just Superman that sh*t.

One thing I'm really liking is the elephants. See how it knocked the jeep over? I was like "Daaaaaaamn!".

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WarBlade539 said:

@monsterstomp said:

I really hope this fictional island is just as huge as Far Cry 3. It just looks amazing. The wing suiting looks phenomenal and I could definitely see myself in a trans-like state climbing to the top of a mountain and just Superman that sh*t.

One thing I'm really liking is the elephants. See how it knocked the jeep over? I was like "Daaaaaaamn!".

No worries. And hey, this is darkazrael BTW. Your ol' Sam Fisher/Agent 47 sparring partner, lol. Just had a little username change. ^_^

Hey, it's not an island. It's a fictional country located between India and Nepal (I'm guessing). And take it from someone who has been on quite a few trekking trips, the environments are extremely authentic. And yes, that would be cool. I am gonna slam into someone from a wingsuit jump. :D

Shit yes! I wonder if we would have Elephant hunting missions. *ponders*

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monsterstomp said:

@WarBlade539 said:

@monsterstomp said:

No worries. And hey, this is darkazrael BTW. Your ol' Sam Fisher/Agent 47 sparring partner, lol. Just had a little username change. ^_^

Hey, it's not an island. It's a fictional country located between India and Nepal (I'm guessing). And take it from someone who has been on quite a few trekking trips, the environments are extremely authentic. And yes, that would be cool. I am gonna slam into someone from a wingsuit jump. :D

Shit yes! I wonder if we would have Elephant hunting missions. *ponders*

I heard that there will be yetis. How awesome would that be!?

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WarBlade539: Its just a rumour my friend spat at me. Doing some research, I'm seeing a lot of the word "Yeti" being thrown around.

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WarBlade539: Its just a rumour my friend spat at me. Doing some research, I'm seeing a lot of the word "Yeti" being thrown around.

I hope they'll have more story-based actual side missions this time around, in the same category as Red Dead Redemption. I would love to have a side plot revolving around an Yeti. Maybe an elaborate hunting mission.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WarBlade539: You liking the new antagonist? How do you think he compares with Vaas?

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WarBlade539: You liking the new antagonist? How do you think he compares with Vaas?

He's cool. Calm, scary, badass. The creative director compared him to that one friend we all have that we know is gonna get us in trouble. The one friend who comes to you after school and goes, "Hey! You wanna go steal a car?" :D

I am also digging his hairdo. Thinking of adopting it.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By MonsterStomp

@WarBlade539: I actually love him. Instead of wanting to kill you like the sadistic bastard Vaas was, he seems quite friendly, which is creepy on its own. I love it.

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@WarBlade539: I actually love him. Instead of wanting to kill you like the sadistic bastard Vaas was, he seems quite friendly, which is creepy on its own. I love it.

I have mentioned this before but there is a high chance this time around that we may be playing as a Gurkha this time around; indigenous tribes of Nepal and one of the most feared and respected military units on the planet.
Check out their awesome feats of badassery right here. :D

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I didn't play 1 or 2 but did play Far Cry 3 and it was very good. I'll probably buy Far Cry 4.

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@loki9876 said:

I didn't play 1 or 2 but did play Far Cry 3 and it was very good. I'll probably buy Far Cry 4.

Your opinion on the new villain and the gameplay trailers?

Also, what platform will you be playing 4 in?

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I'm looking forward to this one.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

Ah. Gotcha.

Thanks for clearing that up, lol. What is your opinion on the main baddie in Far Cry 4, Pagan Min? Did you know that Pagan Min was actually a 19th Century Burmese King? :D

Wow, I never got the notification for this.

Min looks fantastic, and I really like his personality. Also, I'm pretty much a fan of any character voiced by Troy Baker.

I didn't know that specific fact, but the name sounded really familiar.