The myth of "Islamophobia"

Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Paracelsus

When  I use the word "myth" I do not mean that something is non existent- only that its existence is grossly exaggerated(esp for political/religious  reasons)rather like accounts of Mark Twain's death.

I was astonsihed to read an article in today's Guardian that "Muslims have become the new Jews of Europe"( I WOULDN'T shout that out in a mosque-or a synagogue for that matter- during Friday prayers).
Whilst I admit that there ARE people and groups who dislike Muslims simply for religious reasons( just as anti-Semites really DO exist- and not just BNP headcases and islamic fundamentalists), by far the biggest cause for "Islamophobia" is the "when we're in a minority we ask for full religious freedom, but when we make up the majority we refuse to give it- pace Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and Iran" attitude of certain Muslim spokesmen. Case in point: the burka controversy- when Westerners are flogged for allegedly immoral behaviour or possessing /consuming alcohol in places like Saudi Arabia or the United Arab Emirates we are told by apologists that "you must respect the norms of our society", but when France, Belgium or Italy move to ban the burka, the aforementioned principle somehow does not hold  true( when in Rome follow Roman customs) and we heard a lot of blather about "Islamophobia" and "religious intolerance( mainly from societies notorious for their lack of tolerance, political as well as religious- Iran, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, et al).
And of course there is the contuing campaign of violence by AQ and kindred groups, all explicitly carried out in the name of Islam- hardly surprising that "Islamophobia" is on the rise(just as anti-Irish sentiment rose during the IRA's terrorist cmapign in NI and the mainland UK during the "Troubles").
Two wrongs may NOT make one right in classical Catholic moral teaching but until the Islamic world gets its own house in order, sanctimonious and deeply hypocritical whining abouyt "Islamophobia" from Muslim spokesmen have the same "Alice in Wonderland " quality as North Korea or the old Soviet Union denouncing political oppression!
Anybody think as I do?

Terry

superojsimpson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By superojsimpson

(watch this, I'[m pretty sure people are gnna comment and if not, sowy.)
I like pie.

cyberninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By cyberninja

All I heard was "It's not really Islamophobia when they are also being intolerant to us too." Last time I checked those Islamic countries you mentioned never said they were "land of the free and the home of the brave" everything is relatively black and white there. I wish I could say the same for most of us in most western countries, we might say "everyone is equally" in the west but reality says otherwise. We might say "we have freedom of speech" but we all know that's not entirely true. We might say "we have separation of church and state" but we all know that we celebrate Jesus's birthday as NATIONAL holiday. 

Mekboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Mekboy

I think Islamophobia is based upon generalization by the people. It's like how people think all Americans are dumb just because of a few videos lying around. In this case though, it's mostly because of a few people who write stupid shit like "In the name of Allah" or something before blowing up stuff.

gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By gravitypress

Explaining Islam in a negative context then using a positive one when referencing Catholicism tells a lot.