• 150 results
Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Paracelsus

Ever since Anders Breivik went on his murder spree nearly a fortnight ago, we  have heard a lot of to put it crudely BS about "Christian terrorism"-mainly from liberal leftist commentators-notwithstanding the fact that Breivik openyl admitted that he was NOT an especailly religious man and explicitly criticized Pope Benedict XVI for insufficient "Islamophobia"

Just to clarify things- baptized Christians may become terrorists for secular nationalistic( ETA or PIRA) or atheistical causes( Red Brigades, Baader Meinhof Gang, Action Directe), but BELIEVING Christian terrorists are pretty rare birds relatively speaking( "Army of God" anti-abortion extremists, Christian Identity white supremacist wackos, the KKK, which was nearly as anti- Semitic and anti-Catholic as it was anti-black). More to the point, those "Christian" terrorists who do exist are almost universally disowned and denounced(if not unequivocally condemned)by mainstream denominations-whereas jihadis such as the 9/11 hijackers, the late Osama Bin Laden, and the bombers of 7/7 invariably quote the Koran and Mohammed's sayings( hadith) in their statements.

To argue that AQ (leaders and rank and file alike) are NOT motivated by religion is as fatuous as asserting that Soviet leaders from Lenin to Gorbachev were not motivated by Marxist ideology!

The_Myth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By The_Myth

Sorry, just saw my name at the start of the title and had to check this out! :)

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By InnerVenom123

So, they're a myth, except at the same time they totally exist? Because you just said they are in fact, real. Just not accepted by the majority of the christian community. That's not the same as not existing. 

Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Paracelsus

What I meant to say was not that "Christian terrorists" do NOT exist per se, but they are by and large far less numerous than their Islamic counterparts( and are indeed explicitly repudiated by the vast majority -if not ALL mainstream denominations whereas Muslim leaders seem less willing to explicitly repudiate them).

Terry

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4  Edited By InnerVenom123

Well, your title conveys otherwise. 

Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Paracelsus

What i meant was that to assert that "Christian terrorism" was morally coequal to its Islamic counterpart was a myth!

Rudyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Rudyftw

There are many people who commit acts of terror in the name of God or religion in general. With that being said there are many more people all over this planet who kill people because they are christian or believe in God. Anyone can be ignorant. Religion doesn't kill people. Stupid/Evil people kill people. 

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By joshmightbe

Islam is actually one of the most popular religions on Earth and the vast majority of them are not terrorists and probably about 90% of what people in this country hears about Islamic terrorism is just right wing fear mongering of course the left wing is just as bad with their fear mongering about other things but the point is just as with Christianity and every other group of people the vast majority are mostly moderate with a few extremists that cause problems for the rest of them

Battlepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#8  Edited By Battlepig

The wonderful thing about terrorism is that the term is rather vague. What Anders Breivik did was terrorism. What the USA is doing in Iraq is terrorism. What Al Qaeda has done is terrorism (these days, they appear to have resorted to yelling loudly). Because here's the definition of terrorism:  "The calculated use of violence or the threat of violence to attain goals that are political, religious or ideological in nature...through intimidation, coercion or instilling fear." This definition is universally accepted and is actually the official definition of the word.

Of course, this will not matter to your perception of your point, since it's not rooted in any kind of official definition but your own defensive stance on what I assume is your religion, that you hold very dear and don't want to see tarnished in any way. And that's okay, because it's all about individual perception of threats and justificated violence. As Gerald Seymour said "One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter." A really simple example of this would be the war in Iraq (a subject that's been done to death, I know): The USA invaded Iraq for various reasons. Every American Soldier fights - in the perception of the Americans - for freedom, for democracy and a lot of valiant values. Now, when you're an Iraqi citizen, just your regular Joe in Baghdad, you will experience the following: Soldiers with guns and tanks suddenly show up in your neighbourhood and they're ready and willing to shoot you dead when youmake a wrong move. You never had that before. Sure, Saddam occasionally had a war or two going on but that was against the Shiites, and they're evil anyways. So the Americans are - in your perception - the terrorists.

gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gravitypress

People still kill abortion doctors in the name of god. Michigan militia is a Christian terrorist cell.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By longbowhunter
@joshmightbe said:
Islam is actually one of the most popular religions on Earth and the vast majority of them are not terrorists and probably about 90% of what people in this country hears about Islamic terrorism is just right wing fear mongering of course the left wing is just as bad with their fear mongering about other things but the point is just as with Christianity and every other group of people the vast majority are mostly moderate with a few extremists that cause problems for the rest of them

I've been trying to explain this to people for years and they just stare at me with a blank glassy look in their eye.
VaizD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By VaizD

The crusades say you're a little wrong. However, I don't disagree with your points as much as I expected to.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#12  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I'm a liberal leftist so I'm part of the problem, yassss!

Avatar image for thenooseisloose
TheNooseIsLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheNooseIsLoose

Don't you love how all muslims are f***ing terrorist, but when a christian blows sh*t up he's not a real christian. How convienient for you.
Jenna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jenna

According to FBI statistics, between 1980 and 2005, less than 6% of terrorist attacks in the United States were committed by Muslims.  Of the 83 terrorist attacks committed between 9/11 and the end of 2009, only 3 were directly related to the Jihadist cause (that means 3.6% of all terrorist attacks).

Same deal in Europe.  The EU's Terrorism and Trend Report states that in 2010, there were 294 failed, foiled, or successfully executed attacks in six European countrie s.  How many of them were carried out by an Islamic extremist group?  Three.    

Even if Anders Breivik wasn't necessarily a "Christian terrorist" in the sense of having been driven by religious ideals (although he was indisputably driven by right-wing extremism, xenophobia, and Islamophobia), that's not to say that there's no such thing as Christian terrorism.  The Army of God-esque anti-abortion attacks aren't quite as uncommon as you may think.  Since 1977 in the US and Canada alone there have been 41 bombings, 173 arsons, 91 attempted bombings or arsons, and 619 bomb threats on abortion providers.  Also, regarding so-called "rare bird" white supremacists, there are about 5000-8000 KKK members today; compare that to Al Qaeda, which is suspected to have around 500-1000 operatives.

I'm not saying Christianity is bad or anything like that; I'm just saying that Christians are no more or less dangerous than Muslims.  Any sort of extremism, be it Muslim, Christian, Jewish, right-wing, or left-wing, is a threat.  The Muslim blame is rooted in racism and xenophobia.

Oh, and by the way, Soviet Communism didn't resemble Marxism on any discernible level.  Communism is marked by a classless, stateless society marked by collective ownership; the Communist Party of the Soviet Union was a single-party fascist dictatorship.  They are literally on opposite ends of the political spectrum. Marxist ideology was used to appeal to the huge and powerful working class.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@Jenna said:
According to FBI statistics, between 1980 and 2005, less than 6% of terrorist attacks in the United States were committed by Muslims.  Of the 83 terrorist attacks committed between 9/11 and the end of 2009, only 3 were directly related to the Jihadist cause (that means 3.6% of all terrorist attacks). Same deal in Europe.  The EU's Terrorism and Trend Report states that in 2010, there were 294 failed, foiled, or successfully executed attacks in six European countrie s.  How many of them were carried out by an Islamic extremist group?  Three.         Even if Anders Breivik wasn't necessarily a "Christian terrorist" in the sense of having been driven by religious ideals (although he was indisputably driven by right-wing extremism, xenophobia, and Islamophobia, and the OP seems to be espousing quite a bit of the latter...), that's not to say that there's no such thing as Christian terrorism.  The Army of God-esque anti-abortion attacks aren't quite as uncommon as you may think.  Since 1977 in the US and Canada alone there have been 41 bombings, 173 arsons, 91 attempted bombings or arsons, and 619 bomb threats on abortion providers.  Also, regarding so-called "rare bird" white supremacists, there are about 5000-8000 KKK members today; compare that to Al Qaeda, which is suspected to have around 500-1000 operatives. I'm not saying Christianity is bad or anything like that; I'm just saying that Christians are no more or less dangerous than Muslims.  Any sort of extremism, be it Muslim, Christian, Jewish, right-wing, or left-wing, is a threat.  The Muslim blame is rooted in racism and xenophobia.  Oh, and by the way, Soviet Communism didn't resemble Marxism on any discernible level.  Communism is marked by a classless, stateless society marked by collective ownership; the Communist Party of the Soviet Union was a single-party fascist dictatorship.  They are literally on opposite ends of the political spectrum. Marxist ideology was used to appeal to the huge and powerful working class.
damn, am going to add you now
Ebbm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Ebbm

Haha, Christians deserve ever bit of this terrorism smear. Considering they are the ones largely responsible for the "every Muslim is a terrorist" bit.

Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Green Skin
@Jenna said:
According to FBI statistics, between 1980 and 2005, less than 6% of terrorist attacks in the United States were committed by Muslims.  Of the 83 terrorist attacks committed between 9/11 and the end of 2009, only 3 were directly related to the Jihadist cause (that means 3.6% of all terrorist attacks). Same deal in Europe.  The EU's Terrorism and Trend Report states that in 2010, there were 294 failed, foiled, or successfully executed attacks in six European countrie s.  How many of them were carried out by an Islamic extremist group?  Three.         Even if Anders Breivik wasn't necessarily a "Christian terrorist" in the sense of having been driven by religious ideals (although he was indisputably driven by right-wing extremism, xenophobia, and Islamophobia), that's not to say that there's no such thing as Christian terrorism.  The Army of God-esque anti-abortion attacks aren't quite as uncommon as you may think.  Since 1977 in the US and Canada alone there have been 41 bombings, 173 arsons, 91 attempted bombings or arsons, and 619 bomb threats on abortion providers.  Also, regarding so-called "rare bird" white supremacists, there are about 5000-8000 KKK members today; compare that to Al Qaeda, which is suspected to have around 500-1000 operatives. I'm not saying Christianity is bad or anything like that; I'm just saying that Christians are no more or less dangerous than Muslims.  Any sort of extremism, be it Muslim, Christian, Jewish, right-wing, or left-wing, is a threat.  The Muslim blame is rooted in racism and xenophobia.  Oh, and by the way, Soviet Communism didn't resemble Marxism on any discernible level.  Communism is marked by a classless, stateless society marked by collective ownership; the Communist Party of the Soviet Union was a single-party fascist dictatorship.  They are literally on opposite ends of the political spectrum. Marxist ideology was used to appeal to the huge and powerful working class.
Well said!
Paracelsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Paracelsus

My point was to note that  any attempt to imply moral equivalence between Al Qaeda and so- called "Christian terrorists" like Anders Breivik and the late unlamented Timothy McVeigh of Oklahoma City bombing notoriety was nonsensical- clearly a baptized Christian CAN become a terrorist( for a secular , nationalist or atheistical cause), but BELIEVING Christians are fairly rare as terroristsd( in my original post I noted th existence of "Christian Identity" wackos, "Army of God" anti-abortion extremists and of course the KKK, which was as rabidly anti-Semitic and anti_Catholic as it was anti-black). None of those criticizing me seem to dispute my contention that these groups are universally disowned and explicitly condemned by most  mainstream denominations, (whereas Islamists from Bin Laden downwards frequently quote directly from the Koran and Mohammed's sayings), so they accuse me of claiming that "all Muslims are terrorists"( when I made no such claims in my post)

Ebbm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Ebbm
@Paracelsus said:
My point was to note that  any attempt to imply moral equivalence between Al Qaeda and so- called "Christian terrorists" like Anders Breivik and the late unlamented Timothy McVeigh of Oklahoma City bombing notoriety was nonsensical- clearly a baptized Christian CAN become a terrorist( for a secular , nationalist or atheistical cause), but BELIEVING Christians are fairly rare as terroristsd( in my original post I noted th existence of "Christian Identity" wackos, "Army of God" anti-abortion extremists and of course the KKK, which was as rabidly anti-Semitic and anti_Catholic as it was anti-black). None of those criticizing me seem to dispute my contention that these groups are universally disowned and explicitly condemned by most  mainstream denominations, (whereas Islamists from Bin Laden downwards frequently quote directly from the Koran and Mohammed's sayings), so they accuse me of claiming that "all Muslims are terrorists"( when I made no such claims in my post)
I'm sorry but your point that Christians can only become terrorists for non-religious reasons is just ridiculous. In Breivik's manifesto he wrote how he wanted Europe to return Catholicism and bring it back into the folds of Christendom.  He was a Christian terrorist just as much as the 9/11 hijackers were Muslim terrorists.
superojsimpson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By superojsimpson

you guys nazis? is this a nazi boarding camp?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Does it really matter what sh!t excuse these idiots have for being terrorists? If they weren't religious they would just find some other stupid reason to kill for. 

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Vortex13
@Jenna: You are officially one of my favorite people on this site.
difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By difficlus
@Battlepig said:
The wonderful thing about terrorism is that the term is rather vague. What Anders Breivik did was terrorism. What the USA is doing in Iraq is terrorism. What Al Qaeda has done is terrorism (these days, they appear to have resorted to yelling loudly). Because here's the definition of terrorism:  "The calculated use of violence or the threat of violence to attain goals that are political, religious or ideological in nature...through intimidation, coercion or instilling fear." This definition is universally accepted and is actually the official definition of the word. 
difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By difficlus
@Jenna said:
According to FBI statistics, between 1980 and 2005, less than 6% of terrorist attacks in the United States were committed by Muslims.  Of the 83 terrorist attacks committed between 9/11 and the end of 2009, only 3 were directly related to the Jihadist cause (that means 3.6% of all terrorist attacks). Same deal in Europe.  The EU's Terrorism and Trend Report states that in 2010, there were 294 failed, foiled, or successfully executed attacks in six European countrie s.  How many of them were carried out by an Islamic extremist group?  Three.         Even if Anders Breivik wasn't necessarily a "Christian terrorist" in the sense of having been driven by religious ideals (although he was indisputably driven by right-wing extremism, xenophobia, and Islamophobia), that's not to say that there's no such thing as Christian terrorism.  The Army of God-esque anti-abortion attacks aren't quite as uncommon as you may think.  Since 1977 in the US and Canada alone there have been 41 bombings, 173 arsons, 91 attempted bombings or arsons, and 619 bomb threats on abortion providers.  Also, regarding so-called "rare bird" white supremacists, there are about 5000-8000 KKK members today; compare that to Al Qaeda, which is suspected to have around 500-1000 operatives. I'm not saying Christianity is bad or anything like that; I'm just saying that Christians are no more or less dangerous than Muslims.  Any sort of extremism, be it Muslim, Christian, Jewish, right-wing, or left-wing, is a threat.  The Muslim blame is rooted in racism and xenophobia.  Oh, and by the way, Soviet Communism didn't resemble Marxism on any discernible level.  Communism is marked by a classless, stateless society marked by collective ownership; the Communist Party of the Soviet Union was a single-party fascist dictatorship.  They are literally on opposite ends of the political spectrum. Marxist ideology was used to appeal to the huge and powerful working class.
impressive.
Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Vortex13
@Paracelsus: Your point about how most major christian denominations don't condone these thing whereas the Islamic ones do isn't actually valid. There are about 1.50 billion Muslims in the world, give or take a few hundred million. The only ones that really seem to condone the things that the extremist do, is other extremest groups. Only about 15% of Muslims are in the middle east/Africa. Most of the countries that house large populations of Muslims in that area are our allies, yet there are still people in those countries that do condone these things. You talk about how only extremest Christians commit these acts of terrorism and how they aren't really Christian, but there are extremest sects of Christianity in this country that do condone there acts. 63% of Muslims reside in Asia/Pacific area's. Mostly central and eastern Asia though. The reason you may believe that most Islamic leaders and sects agree with these extremest is because they are the only ones that get a voice on the news in America. This country being predominantly Christian, the Christian terrorist are able to get defended better, seeing as only about 2% of the 1.50 billion Muslims of the world (making up about 23% of the total world population) live in this country, it's easy to see why you don't get to see the whole story.
Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Shadow_Thief

Most Christians are peaceful folks who just want to live their lives and practice their beliefs. Most Muslims are the same. Anyone who uses their faith as an excuse to perpetrate violence against another is morally reprehensible, regardless of the belief system in question. Physical violence is the ultimate failure of the higher capacities of conscious thought.

Rudyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Rudyftw
@spiderbat87 said:
Does it really matter what sh!t excuse these idiots have for being terrorists? If they weren't religious they would just find some other stupid reason to kill for. 
EXACTLY. 
Battlepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Battlepig
@Jenna said:
Oh, and by the way, Soviet Communism didn't resemble Marxism on any discernible level.  Communism is marked by a classless, stateless society marked by collective ownership; the Communist Party of the Soviet Union was a single-party fascist dictatorship.  They are literally on opposite ends of the political spectrum. Marxist ideology was used to appeal to the huge and powerful working class.
On paper, it actually was a slightly modified version of Marxism. Note the slightly. In the real world, however, it quickly became corrupted due to the Orwellian Animal Farm reasoning of "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others", which led to the country being a very idealistic hellhole that impoverished its citizens. If all people - and I'm convinced that this will never, ever happen - were to believe in the "We're equal"-doctrine (sans the "more equal"-part), then communism would work. Well, could work.  Basically, Red Russia failed because of humans being human.

@Paracelsus said:
Now, I  have to ask. Sorry if this comes across as a kind of insult. But what exactly are you trying to do here? Either you're demonizing Islam (which is not really needed at this point in history) or you're trying to tell people that christianity is superior to other beliefs, while using terrorism as a tool. Because if it's either one of these things, however you want to rationalize it, there's not much use in entertaining this discussion as I get the feeling that you're not very likely to even acknowledge the possibility that all of us might have a point.

Here are two tales:
1. Al Qaeda are a bunch of good-for-nothing scumbags who would gladly kill everyone who doesn't believe in their ridiculously rigid system. However, most other muslim communities are looking at Al Qaeda and thinking "Blimey, what the hell do you think you're doing? You've got it all wrong." However, you never hear from these people, since they don't make for good news. Most Imams warn their flock of Al Qaeda because they bring nothing but pain and suffering to everyone.

2. The Westboro Baptist Churst are a bunch of good-for-nothing scumbags who would gladly kill everyone who doesn't believe in their ridiculously rigid system. However, most other christian communities are looking at The Westboro Baptist Church and thinking "Blimey, what the hell do you think you're doing? You've got it all wrong." However, you never hear from these people, since they don't make for good news.  Most priests warn their flock of The Westboro Baptist Church because they bring nothing but pain and suffering to everyone.

Bottom line: Most Muslims are not hellbent on killing you, just as all Christians are not the nicest people on Earth.

But while we're at the media, there's an odd thing I've noticed. The newspapers I read, which are many, don't call Breivik a terrorist, let alone a Christian Terrorist. And this despite the fact that what he did fits the very loose definition of terrorism I posted earlier quite well. I have no idea why they're doing it, but even my paper doesn't call him a terrorist. I'll go through my E-Mails trying to figure out whether or not there is some in-house rule in effect that states that he's not a terrorist by some odd definition. Funnily enough, Breivik's beliefs were not based in the extreme right nazi ideology, but in archaic Christian Fundamentalism. I know this because I was part of the reading crew of his 1512 pages of manifesto, which is rather disjointed in parts.

An alternate explanation is that the world is still struggling with the fact that he was not some angered and morally bankrupt spree killer and didn't just wake up one day, grabbed a rifle and went "I'mma kill me some people today!" and the day ended with him being dead as well. Breivik was methodical, very aware of what he's done and even prides himself on the feat. Conventional psychology applied to people running amok is currently failing hard and they're struggling to even get a grip on him. It's not like he will ever be released, but nobody's dared to say "You see, that guy was mad" since he very obviously wasn't. So they don't know what he is. All they do know is that they haven't encountered anything like him before and they're scared that there might be more people like him out there.
TheNooseIsLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheNooseIsLoose
@Paracelsus said:
BELIEVING Christians are fairly rare as terrorists
 "I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord.." -Hitler, Mein Kampf 

They may be rare, but they sure leave a lasting impact.
Jenna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jenna
@Battlepig said:

On paper, it actually was a slightly modified version of Marxism. Note the slightly. In the real world, however, it quickly became corrupted due to the Orwellian Animal Farm reasoning of "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others", which led to the country being a very idealistic hellhole that impoverished its citizens. If all people - and I'm convinced that this will never, ever happen - were to believe in the "We're equal"-doctrine (sans the "more equal"-part), then communism would work. Well, could work.  Basically, Red Russia failed because of humans being human.  

I agree with you for the most part, but I would argue that some Soviet leaders, especially Stalin, were corrupt from the start.  Even Lenin warned against letting Stalin come to power in his last letters (granted, I'm sort of an idealist, so I tend to subscribe to the belief that power comes as a result of corruption, not the other way around).  Regardless, it's pretty hard to argue that Soviet Communism, in practice, resembled Marxism at all aside from the revolutionary aspect.  Dictatorship of a party =/= dictatorship of the proletariat.   

And I agree that people likely won't go ahead and say that we're all 100% equal, but I did read an interesting article about that topic: Thirst for Fairness May Have Helped Us Survive.  Basically, it says that back in our nomadic days, we demonstrated fairly mild gradients of wealth and power  (sort of like Denmark, apparently) and that even today, when asked to come up with their ideal levels of wealth distribution, both Democrats and Republicans made charts that reflected levels of income inequality that resembled those in Sweden.  But I digress.
progenitorigin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By progenitorigin

Christianity's been the cause of heinous crimes, especially and most especially back during the Crusades, but this myth sounds paper-thin.
realsilverjunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By realsilverjunk

Christianity doesn't promote terrorism at all. Real, new testament, new king James version Christians. If anything Christians are more suicidal, what with  martyr-ism and whatnot. Islam, on the other hand, converts by conquering with the sword. Even in these days. Someone flagging themselves as a Christian and then going on a killing spree would mean they are going on a tangent from actual Christianity. Like a Buddhist suddenly having an obsession with the material world. It's a perversion. The man was no true Christian.

gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By gravitypress
@realsilverjunk: Yet here we are. Christians just condemn the acts of others lest they be stained themselves.
Battlepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Battlepig
@realsilverjunk said:
The man was no true Christian.
Just like Al Qaeda is full of "no true Muslims". The thing with religion and interpretation thereof is that it can bear many offshoots. The Westboro Baptist Church and your regular Baptist Church down the street believe in the same God and the same bible. The beliefs lived by Al Qaeda (there's an interesting tidbit about this coming in the next paragraph) are no different in their basics than the ones the friendly fella down at the kebab-store holds very dear. And your kebab-guy is not hellbent on blowing you up and all that. Just like your Baptists are not picketing soldiers' funerals or going on about how everyone but them is going to hell.

Al Qaeda is actually an offshoot of the Sunni Islam. It was founded to be a violent offshoot of a church, just like the German Rote Armee Fraktion was intended to be violent. So while Islam in its principles promotes the same love, peace and understanding that we're all familiar with and shares a lot of very familiar stoires about Jesus/Mohammed and God/Allah. There are parts where you can litlerally CTRL+H the names and you get the story from the other bible. Al Qaeda, however, went "Screw this, we're going to blow you all to hell, if we can" And that's what they've been doing for the past twenty plus years. They're extremely intolerant towards everything that is "not them", while the Koran specifically mentions that when a Muslim is in a non-Muslim country, he and she have to adapt to local customs (now, there's an interesting debate, I tell you). So if we're going back to the "No true Christian"-argument, we can safely conclude that the members of Al Qaeda are "no true Muslims".

And while, from a more or less objective standpoint, both Al Qaeda and Breivik were "no true [Religion]", they are both still convinced that they're doing Allah's/God's work. The reason why people appear to be so hellbent on having Breivik not be a member of their religion is that nobody wants to be somehow affiliated with a killer like him in any way. This is very understandable, because if you're one of the Sunday-Morning-Chuch-Going Baptists who pray at home and all that, you are firmly convinced that Christianity is the best thing that has ever happened to you. You are incapable of comprehending how a belief in something so inherently good and benevolent could lead to such heinous acts. Thus, it's only natural that people start flinging the "No true [Religion]"-argument about. while the perpetrators of the crimes are still firmly convinced that they're Men of God.
TheNooseIsLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TheNooseIsLoose
@realsilverjunk: " But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me." Luke 19:27 King James version
joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#36  Edited By joshmightbe
@realsilverjunk: Have you ever read the bible, it's full of stories about people conquering in the name of God. It specifically tells people to kill those who don't follow the beliefs set forth in the book aside from that the King James version of the bible was heavily edited to reflect the views of the guy the version is named after and he wasn't a good guy 
superojsimpson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By superojsimpson

Who says murder's  not an art?

superojsimpson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By superojsimpson

terrorists are artists. and killing is their art. plus they make things go *BOOMY!!*. praise them for their art collection of a thoousand bodies. yay!!

Ashra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Ashra
@progenitor said:

Christianity's been the cause of heinous crimes, especially and most especially back during the Crusades, but this myth sounds paper-thin.

The Roman Catholic Church was to blame for those crimes, and even though they are considered to be Christians, Catholicism differs GREATLY from New Testament Biblical Christianity.  It's really a false Christianity at it's core.  The Catholic church even outlawed the Bible at one point.   

@TheNooseIsLoose
said:
@realsilverjunk: " But those mine enemies, which would not that I should reign over them, bring hither, and slay them before me." Luke 19:27 King James version
This is just another example of someone twisting scripture or not having a right understanding of it.  This scripture is referencing the Jews in the destruction of Jerusalem.  It's a parable, NOT God or Jesus commanding the death of anyone who will not serve him.  No disrespect, but that's a gross error you've made.  That's why people should have a proper understanding of scripture and the science of interpreting it before assuming and making false claims.  
King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By King_Saturn
@Ashra said:
@progenitor said:
The Roman Catholic Church was to blame for those crimes, and even though they are considered to be Christians, Catholicism differs GREATLY from New Testament Biblical Christianity.  It's really a false Christianity at it's core.  The Catholic church even outlawed the Bible at one point.  
this is an extremely dangerous thing to say considering there are Catholics who hold the core teachings of Yeshua as truth... 
Ashra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Ashra
@King Saturn said:

this is an extremely dangerous thing to say considering there are Catholics who hold the core teachings of Yeshua as truth... 

I'm referring to the organization and the official Catholic Church, not necessarily the individuals who call themselves Catholics.  Especially since many of them do not even know the dark history of the RCC.  Catholicism is virtually re-hashed paganism with a Christian cover. 
Sobe Cin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#42  Edited By Sobe Cin
@Paracelsus said:

What i meant was that to assert that "Christian terrorism" was morally coequal to its Islamic counterpart was a myth!

Let me get this straight you are saying that Christian terrorists don't exist because other Christians denounce them- so that Christians can be viewed as a non-violent or evil group. But if you are muslim you are automatically a terrorist, regardless of the fact that most are not and do not condone what their brethren do? That's pretty damn arrogant of you. I don't think you can say that a Christian terrorist is a myth, because a terrorist no matter their belief is going to be a bastard, it doesn't matter their faith. Be it Christian, Muslim, jewish, shinto- it doesn't make a damn difference one bit. Terrorists are going to be terrorists.
iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By iLLituracy

This thread makes my heart sad.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By King_Saturn
@Ashra said:
@King Saturn said:

I'm referring to the organization and the official Catholic Church, not necessarily the individuals who call themselves Catholics.  Especially since many of them do not even know the dark history of the RCC.  Catholicism is virtually re-hashed paganism with a Christian cover. 
but individuals make up an organization... and I don't think it's fair to say everyone in the organization was not following the teachings of Yeshua at that time either...
TheNooseIsLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TheNooseIsLoose
@Ashra said: 
@TheNooseIsLoose said:
This is just another example of someone twisting scripture or not having a right understanding of it.  This scripture is referencing the Jews in the destruction of Jerusalem.  It's a parable, NOT God or Jesus commanding the death of anyone who will not serve him.  No disrespect, but that's a gross error you've made.  That's why people should have a proper understanding of scripture and the science of interpreting it before assuming and making false claims.   
 While they were listening to this, he went on to tell them a parable, because he was near Jerusalem and the people thought that the kingdom of God was going to appear at once.  He said:  “A man of noble birth went to a distant country to have himself appointed king and then to return.   So he called ten of his servants and gave them ten minas. ‘Put this money to work,’ he said, ‘until I come back.’

“But his subjects hated him and sent a delegation after him to say, ‘We don’t want this man to be our king.’

“He was made king, however, and returned home. Then he sent for the servants to whom he had given the money, in order to find out what they had gained with it.

“The first one came and said, ‘Sir, your mina has earned ten more.’

“‘Well done, my good servant!’ his master replied. ‘Because you have been trustworthy in a very small matter, take charge of ten cities.’

“The second came and said, ‘Sir, your mina has earned five more.’

“His master answered, ‘You take charge of five cities.’

“Then another servant came and said, ‘Sir, here is your mina; I have kept it laid away in a piece of cloth.   I was afraid of you, because you are a hard man. You take out what you did not put in and reap what you did not sow.’

“His master replied, ‘I will judge you by your own words, you wicked servant! You knew, did you, that I am a hard man, taking out what I did not put in, and reaping what I did not sow?   Why then didn’t you put my money on deposit, so that when I came back, I could have collected it with interest?’

“Then he said to those standing by, ‘Take his mina away from him and give it to the one who has ten minas.’

“‘Sir,’ they said, ‘he already has ten!’

“He replied, ‘I tell you that to everyone who has, more will be given, but as for the one who has nothing, even what they have will be taken away.   But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them—bring them here and kill them in front of me.’”

Actually he is saying if you don't accept me you are my enemy. The third servant basically says "I don't want to be indebted to you, so I kept your mina safe for you and here it is" and he is punished for this.
riri4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By riri4life
Anyone can be a terrorist....regardless of there religious affiliation.  
Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Rudyftw said:
There are many people who commit acts of terror in the name of God or religion in general. With that being said there are many more people all over this planet who kill people because they are christian or believe in God. Anyone can be ignorant. Religion doesn't kill people. Stupid/Evil people kill people. 
QFT!!! 
Saddly most of people are not mature enough to blame people.
King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By King_Saturn
@DeathpooltheT1000 said:
@Rudyftw said:
QFT!!! Saddly most of people are not mature enough to blame people.
well... Religion can give fuel to a person to attack someone and that is the problem... those Sacred Texts are not all Cupcakes and Ice Cream in their passages... a lot of things in the Major Holy Texts talk about Violent Acts carried out by those who follow a specific God... and in some texts even talk about taking action against people who do not believe as they do... so even though Religion directly is not responsible... it can have a great impact on what a person does... and since there is a large number of people upon the Earth who holds to the Major Religion Affiliations... you see why Religion gets attacked... because all in all the Sacred Texts that are held high by Major Religions... in some ways encourage negative behavior against those who do not believe as they do or do against what their text says...
CapFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By CapFanboy
@Green Skin said:
@Jenna said:
Well said!
Co-signed
Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@King Saturn: And this is the part you say i should convert to Atheism?  
the thing i cant belive is not a religion since this atheist guy are on his own Jihad.
This Antireligion bullshit is just the same that cause terrorist attacks. 
you cant be better that anyone if you are part of the problem dude. 
Be a man and blame men, not religions.