The MLB/Baseball Thread!

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Vaeternus

Ok, so I don't know who enjoys baseball here but discuss all baseball here!

What are your thoughts on the new Wild Card rule? Yay, Nay or indifferent?

If you enjoy baseball/MLB, please discuss and post everything here. I checked few pages and didn't find much.

I want to especially talk about the newest rule in baseball concerning the wild card, now there will be 2 wild card teams in each League! I think this is interesting and will definitely make for more competitive play. Both teams will then play each other in a one game playoff to decide the WC team winner. Also, I believe next year the Houston Astros will move to the AL West to make it even 15/15.

Prediction wise, I think honestly Yankees will win AL east again. Boston lost a lot over the past few years, they will probably be "decent and competitive" but I don't see them besting the Yankees this year. TB will no doubt be one of the WC winners I think.

AL West, I'm not sure between Texas and the new upgraded Angels, I think either could take it. Angels look way better on paper but that doesn't mean anything. I think the loser of this battle will take the other WC.

AL Central, I'll go with either Twins or Tigers, need more time for this one. Leaning Twins though this year but Tigers could take it too.

NL east, going with the Nationals, Phillies and Braves battling. I think one of the WC will come from this division.

NL West, I'll go Padres or Giants.

NL Central, ST Louis.

Your thoughts? I'm pretty pumped for the New 2012 season

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By DEGRAAF

GO CARDS!!!!!!!!! I hope Pujols doesnt get hurt but i hope his stats go done hill from here on

blur99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By blur99

Probably my favorite sport.

Looking forward to seeing how good Mike Trout. Maybe Harper will be in the MLB too.

TheSheepHerder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheSheepHerder
Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Vaeternus

I look forward to the New York Yankees new rotation and Andy coming back!

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

@DEGRAAF said:

GO CARDS!!!!!!!!! I hope Pujols doesnt get hurt but i hope his stats go done hill from here on

You do know that Pujols is playing for the Angels, right?

but.... GO BRAVES!! It's Chipper Jones last season, so lets kick some ass this year!

jinxuandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By jinxuandi

I like the new WC rule, I think baseball has been behind the times in not adopting it due to the same old-timers who resisted the first wild-card in the 90s. It will make the end of the season more interesting and it will put more butts in seats (fans are more likely to go to games if their team can at least make the wild-card).

As for division champs, I predict:

NL East: Phillies (Nationals will finish 4th as preseason hype goes unnoticed in Washington)

NL Central: Reds (Pirates have a decent shot of actually finishing above .500 this year, but I think they'll fall just short with 79 wins)

NL West: Giants

AL East: Yankees (Yawwwwn...)

AL Central: Tigers

AL West: Rangers (but Darvish underperforms)

Wildcards: Braves, Cardinals, Angels, Blue Jays

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

@jinxuandi said:

I like the new WC rule, I think baseball has been behind the times in not adopting it due to the same old-timers who resisted the first wild-card in the 90s. It will make the end of the season more interesting and it will put more butts in seats (fans are more likely to go to games if their team can at least make the wild-card).

As for division champs, I predict:

NL East: Phillies (Nationals will finish 4th as preseason hype goes unnoticed in Washington)

NL Central: Reds (Pirates have a decent shot of actually finishing above .500 this year, but I think they'll fall just short with 79 wins)

NL West: Giants

AL East: Yankees (Yawwwwn...)

AL Central: Tigers

AL West: Rangers (but Darvish underperforms)

Wildcards: Braves, Cardinals, Angels, Blue Jays

NL East is going to be hard to predict this year. Washington and Miami are looking solid this year. and the Braves' SP and Bullpen is impressive.

NL Central I predict Pirates or Red, as you said

NL West: More than likely Giants, but I think Diamondbacks have a shot.

AL East: Toronto have the ability to push Yankees to the side

AL Central: Detroit, agreed.

AL West: Rangers again probably.

jinxuandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jinxuandi

@BiteMe-Fanboy: Braves definitely have the best 'pen in baseball, but this year I'm worried about their rotation (as weird as that sounds). Jurrjens, Hudson (when he gets back), Hanson are the only ones with proven track records and they're all injury prone. If/when they get hurt, they'll have to rely on the minor-leaguers (Delgado, Teheran) who didn't exactly impress in the spring. Hope Chipper can go out on a high note though.

YoggSaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By YoggSaron

Maybe I should start following baseball again. I honestly have no idea who's on what team anymore, not even my local one.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

@YoggSaron said:

Maybe I should start following baseball again. I honestly have no idea who's on what team anymore, not even my local one.

Whos your local team?

YoggSaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By YoggSaron
@BiteMe-Fanboy: Red Sox.
jinxuandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jinxuandi

@YoggSaron said:

You're in luck! In order to find out who's on your local team, you just have to watch ESPN's Baseball Tonight. They show Sox highlights practically every night.

But seriously, the Red Sox are a good team to watch if you are trying to get into baseball because they're going to challenge for the postseason every year. The downside is that there are not a lot of likable personalities on that team (maybe Ortiz, but this is probably his last year with the team).

blur99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By blur99

@jinxuandi said:

@YoggSaron said:

You're in luck! In order to find out who's on your local team, you just have to watch ESPN's Baseball Tonight. They show Sox highlights practically every night.

But seriously, the Red Sox are a good team to watch if you are trying to get into baseball because they're going to challenge for the postseason every year. The downside is that there are not a lot of likable personalities on that team (maybe Ortiz, but this is probably his last year with the team).

Best reason to watch sox is Heidi W.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Vaeternus

lol, The Blue Jays aren't anywhere near Yankee, Boston or even TB status. They'll just be the same old minor thorn and spoilers in arguably the toughest division in baseball. Still, that being said I'd keep an eye out on the O's, Bucky has a good rep bringing the Yankees and Texas back from the trenches in the past.

Though I do like the new WC rule, I believe this makes Baseball even better and more competitive. I foresee TB battling Boston and Blue Jays for that division's WC. Yanks should manage since their pitching has actually improved compared to last year...A.J.'s gone, Andy's back, Peneda is a ? but I think he'll do alright, Nova should be back and I expect a big year from Hughes.

jinxuandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By jinxuandi

I think Showalter just has too big a task in Baltimore to get the Orioles anywhere. Aside from the fact that they play in the toughest division in baseball, there's no real talent on that team other than Adam Jones. They might be the least talented team in MLB. Now, if Showalter could work his way into Pittsburgh, he could do wonders.

TheSheepHerder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheSheepHerder

What, no love for the NL? :P 

For me I'll have to go with Giants, Brewers, Braves and Nationals for the W, C, E and WC respectively. 

And regarding the Orioles, they are going to take years to piece back together, unfortunately. : /

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DEGRAAF

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

@DEGRAAF said:

You do know that Pujols is playing for the Angels, right?

but.... GO BRAVES!! It's Chipper Jones last season, so lets kick some ass this year!

Yeah thats why i said i hope his stats go down

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

The Braves have announced that they are retiring John Smoltz's jersey number on June 8th! Having a ceremony before the Blue Jays game. Totally going there. Smoltz was always a fav. of mine while i was growing up in the 90's.

jinxuandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jinxuandi

@BiteMe-Fanboy: It was just a matter of time. I still say that line-up of Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz and Avery was the best in MLB history. Too bad we never had a reliable closer...

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

@jinxuandi said:

@BiteMe-Fanboy: It was just a matter of time. I still say that line-up of Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz and Avery was the best in MLB history. Too bad we never had a reliable closer...

Well, we got Kimbrel now. He is great now, in time he will be amazing. I think so anyways.

Dreadmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By Dreadmaster

Rangers did work on the Red Sox.

jinxuandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jinxuandi

Glad to see that new ballpark in Miami is paying off with new attendance. That 'sculpture' in centerfield is a monstrosity.

jeanlucpicard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jeanlucpicard

Phillies are my team, just sucks that their bats are silent a lot of the time.

SuperTide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By SuperTide

LET'S GO BRAVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SuperTide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SuperTide

Nolan Ryan is the best pitcher ever.

jinxuandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jinxuandi

Horrible call at home plate cost the Dodgers a game

jinxuandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jinxuandi

Phil Humber just earned a massive raise in his offseason arbitration hearings.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

Braves are on a roll.. 5 game winning streak and currently 10-5. Hoping they win tommorow and complete the 4 game sweep against the Dbacks. Then its off to LA to face the Dodgers, who are absolutely kicking ass right now. Matt Kemp is beasting. Lets go Braves!

SuperTide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SuperTide

LET'S GO BRAVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jinxuandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jinxuandi

So...how about that Red Sox/Dodgers trade? It's the first trade I think I've ever seen that I would immediately characterize as lose-lose.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#32  Edited By Xanni15

@jinxuandi:

I actually would say it's a good trade for the Redsox, they unload a TON of money and get to fix their mistakes. LA's just trying to buy a championship.

jinxuandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jinxuandi

@Xanni15: If it were most other teams I would agree with you. But with the Red Sox, they're probably just freeing up salary so they can sign some 30 year olds to $100 million contract in the offseason and have this same problem again in two years.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Xanni15

@jinxuandi:

I wouldn't be surprised if they did but everything coming out of their organization says that they're going back to focusing on scouting and younger players. Doubt it lasts long as it is Boston and those fans have grown to expect higher payrolls and teams which can contend. The Dodgers look to be doing what you said, trading for talent that isn't healthy.

TheSheepHerder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TheSheepHerder

While I'm not exactly a big fan of the Red Sox I'm glad Beckett and his ego is gone. The next guy they need to let go of is Valentine though. He's been horrendous at leading the Red Sox this year.

And I don't think Cherington will be making the same mistakes Epstein made (Matsuzaka and Crawford come to mind) in offseason. If he does, well, the next few years for the Red Sox Nation will be less than stellar.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

Braves are doing pretty good, but ever since that Nationals series earlier this week they have been choking pretty hardcore. Two more games with the Giants and we already lost 2 of them. That wild card spot is slowly disapearing, Bravos.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Vaeternus

Wow, shocked that Boston got rid of like half their team...I heard the players weren't happy with Bobby V anyway.

At any rate, I wish my damn Yankees would stop playing musical chairs with the pitchers..seriously, getting old now. Two guys come back, another one gets put on the DL, he comes back, another pitcher gets hurt....like WTF?

Still, considering all their injuries this year yet still have the best AL record amazes me of how talented they are. Not happy to see an 11 game lead down to 5 but hey, it's baseball the most unpreditable sport so lol.

I'm very curious to see how the WC plays out this year in both leagues, should be fun.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

@Vaeternus said:

Wow, shocked that Boston got rid of like half their team...I heard the players weren't happy with Bobby V anyway.

At any rate, I wish my damn Yankees would stop playing musical chairs with the pitchers..seriously, getting old now. Two guys come back, another one gets put on the DL, he comes back, another pitcher gets hurt....like WTF?

Still, considering all their injuries this year yet still have the best AL record amazes me of how talented they are. Not happy to see an 11 game lead down to 5 but hey, it's baseball the most unpreditable sport so lol.

I'm very curious to see how the WC plays out this year in both leagues, should be fun.

Yeah. They traded a crapload of players... I bet the Dodgers are about to start owning the NL.

0n1zuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By 0n1zuka

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

Braves are doing pretty good, but ever since that Nationals series earlier this week they have been choking pretty hardcore. Two more games with the Giants and we already lost 2 of them. That wild card spot is slowly disapearing, Bravos.

Yeah, this is reminding me of last years collapse. I don't think history will repeat itself, but it's starting to look that way.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

@0n1zuka said:

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

Yeah, this is reminding me of last years collapse. I don't think history will repeat itself, but it's starting to look that way.

Man, I hope not. Last years September collapse was horrible... If Braves don't make playoffs this year, I think they should start finding a new manager.

0n1zuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By 0n1zuka

@BiteMe-Fanboy: If the Braves do fall short again like last year, then I agree that Gonzalez's days are probably numbered.

jinxuandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jinxuandi

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

Yeah. They traded a crapload of players... I bet the Dodgers are about to start owning the NL.

Maybe, although Crawford and Beckett weren't exactly tearing it up with the Red Sox. It stinks of desperation. And re: the Braves,

No Caption Provided

The division race is starting to look out of reach (barring a collapse by the Nationals, which isn't out the question because hey, they're the Nationals). But the Braves are just going through a rough patch right now. Their schedule is loaded with soft spots from here on out after this series against the Giants: at Padres, vs. Phillies, vs. Rockies, at Mets, at Brewers, vs. Nats, at Marlins, at Phillies, vs. Marlins, vs. Mets, at Pirates. There's only two series against decent teams in there (Nats and Pirates) and if they can't win 2/3 of the games against the rest of those opponents then they probably don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Vaeternus

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

@Vaeternus said:

Yeah, should be very interesting to see how they do in the NL West. Probably better since they were in the AL East all those years.

TheSheepHerder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TheSheepHerder

@TheSheepHerder said:

And regarding the Orioles, they are going to take years to piece back together, unfortunately. : /

Wow. xD

Also I wonder if Red Sox fans

Can hear the sound of the Baltimore Orioles clinching that wonderful postseason spot that was meant for them a year ago

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Xanni15

Bobby Valentine FIRED! No surprise as the Red Sox sucked big time this year.

Miguel Cabrera wins the Triple Crown, and the Orioles are in the playoffs.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By King_Saturn
I said a few weeks ago that Miguel Cabrera passed Albert Pujols as the Best Batter in MLB... Pujols is not quite himself right now with the Angels...he still hit 30 HR this year though.
PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#47  Edited By PowerHerc

Miguel Cabrera is the Triple Crown winner!

AWESOME!