• 65 results
Alyssabird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Alyssabird

As I'm growing older everyday I cannot help but think about the question; one which seemingly has come with no quick answer. We work, spend time with our loved ones and continue unto the next day, all which later comes at no prize or no revelation from a deity above. By not being able to comprehend what 'purpose' is, perhaps the only logical answer is that which some try to disbelief, the possibility of a lord; one which has crafted us with a sense of morality, that differs from animals within the animal kingdom. Perhaps the only mere solution to such a question is the belief in one, but perhaps it is mere comforting to oneself as they live their life knowing full well, their may possibly be no exact reason; only because it is just that, the animal kingdom. After all, morality is a seeming norm of society, culturally influenced from a group of individuals, not one mere mentor or deity. With that in mind, once you travel from Canada to Afghanistan you're morality changes and is therefore irrelevant the with the morality argument out of hand, what does that leave us with? Nothing. I'm realizing this is no purpose or reason that I'm here, more-so that I am just there. What do you guys think? Does god have a purpose for us? Or is it merely a life with no substantial meaning or definition. My friend argues that we cannot simply be here without reason, why? He argues morality, which isn't relevant as I proved above.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Why must you humans insist on placing meaning onto everything? The purpose of life is simply to live it.

Alyssabird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Alyssabird

@The Stegman said:

Why must you human insist on placing meaning onto everything? The purpose of life is simply to live it.

For what purpose? Why isn't there a sole reason I'm here?

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Decoy Elite

There ya go.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
@Alyssabird said:

@The Stegman said:

Why must you human insist on placing meaning onto everything? The purpose of life is simply to live it.

For what purpose? Why isn't there a sole reason I'm here?

I wouldn't want a ''sole'' reason for existing, because if I achieve that objective, I'll become obsolete, like Terminator after it saved John Connor. I think we are here to experience as much of life as possible, and make choices on what to do every day. 
Alyssabird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Alyssabird

<- 23 Realizing there is no reason. No god & no value but what you make of it; whether it's drinking at the bar with your friends or seeing a movie with someone special, which both are realistically more possible than something 'above' crafting a path in life for us. I'd like the hear the opinions of some Christians as I'm currently doubting the belief I grew up with; a belief at the time seemed to small and possible, in a world perceived in the exact same accordance.

DarkxSeraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DarkxSeraph

You are laying a lot of thorns in the question, really.

First, by assuming that there is a 'plan' for people, or a 'purpose' to each life infers that there are distinct things that are set up for a particular outcome. This then, infers predestination. Predestination eliminates the possibility of free will. This opens an entire pandora's box of philosophical questions about the nature of religion, 'god,' and existence.

However, barring that, you also mention god. Well, in that case, the classic philosophical question: 'the problem of evil' rears its head. Which doesn't deal with free will so much as in the nature of god and the paradoxial nature of the qualities granted to said being.

Again, another can of philosophical worms.

My answer, in the short? I'm here to breath until I die and experience what I can to make that time worthwhile.

FalconPuuunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By FalconPuuunch

Me and my family have just suffered a terrible tragedy and I can't help but wonder the same thing. Every time I think of a higher power in this predicament I can't help but feel left out or abandoned. With this I have come to realize that if there is a meaning to life it is not decided or made by a higher power. I still believe that there is a God but I can't accept that he or it is involved in what happens to us. I honestly can't. Maybe the meaning of life is just to reproduce and leave our mark in this crazy world by creating carbon based copies of ourselves. If not then I have no idea. Life is suffering so what possible meaning could there be in that?

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Aiden Cross

My answer is simple: I don't know. But i make the most with the time that is given to me, try to make the best life possible for me, others and future generations :)

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#10  Edited By Deadcool

Life is meaningless, that is why life is awesome, you can gave it whatever meaning you want. Is like a paper sheet.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
@FalconPuuunch said:

Me and my family have just suffered a terrible tragedy and I can't help but wonder the same thing. Every time I think of a higher power in this predicament I can't help but feel left out or abandoned. With this I have come to realize that if there is a meaning to life it is not decided or made by a higher power. I still believe that there is a God but I can't accept that he or it is involved in what happens to us. I honestly can't. Maybe the meaning of life is just to reproduce and leave our mark in this crazy world by creating carbon based copies of ourselves. If not then I have no idea. Life is suffering so what possible meaning could there be in that?

Whatever your tragedy was, I hope you and your family make it through it okay :(
Alyssabird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Alyssabird

@DarkxSeraph said:

You are laying a lot of thorns in the question, really. First, by assuming that there is a 'plan' for people, or a 'purpose' to each life infers that there are distinct things that are set up for a particular outcome. This then, infers predestination. Predestination eliminates the possibility of free will. This opens an entire pandora's box of philosophical questions about the nature of religion, 'god,' and existence. However, barring that, you also mention god. Well, in that case, the classic philosophical question: 'the problem of evil' rears its head. Which doesn't deal with free will so much as in the nature of god and the paradoxial nature of the qualities granted to said being.Again, another can of philosophical worms. My answer, in the short? I'm here to breath until I die and experience what I can to make that time worthwhile.

I can definitely argue about such a petty and ridiculous argument, but that is just a mere and pointless debate, stay on topic.

DarkxSeraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DarkxSeraph

"Life is suffering so what possible meaning could there be in that?"

Without loss there would be no appreciation for what you have.

I don't say this to be callous, I say this as someone who has lost people closest to me in some rather horrific manners, so I sympathize.

Alyssabird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Alyssabird

When my world was small and everything seemed possible, a god's involvement in my life was entirely possible and he was existent. However, one I grew older and had to do things on my own, the idea now seems lucrative. How come he only intervenes in some peoples life and not those who need him in their times of need?

DarkxSeraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DarkxSeraph

"I can definitely argue about such a petty and ridiculous argument, but that is just a mere and pointless debate, stay on topic."

Eh... it was on topic, and these are not petty or ridiculous additions to such... these are honestly classic philosophical quandries posed by some of the best philosophers who have ever lived.

By asking your question and putting forth the questions you have, you opened up some of these arguments-- obviously, to those who know they even exist.

And, they are rather complex, intricate, and fascinating things. I would seriously look into them if I were you. Especially with your questioning of things.

Alyssabird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Alyssabird

I wish god would give me my family back, the last few years haven't even been stepping stones to such a thing. The only sense and purpose in my life that would undoubtedly be filling would be to love and be loved back by those akin to me. Regardless, this isn't, hasn't, and won't happen; with that in mind, that leaves me with nothing.

DarkxSeraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DarkxSeraph

"How come he only intervenes in some peoples life and not those who need him in their times of need?"

If you truly feel yourself with a need to answer this question, and believe in a god, I would suggest talking with a pastor/priest/priestess/vicar/imam, whichever that is appropriate to your particular belief structure. Spiritual crisis, as it seems you are going through, is best discussed with them, as they may provide the answers you need to hear.

If you do not believe and are falling out of faith, then consider it a moment of clarity, as alcoholics would call it... that circumstance, opportunity, hard work, and simple 'luck' play into it and it can appear that other people are just 'granted' things, when in fact, sometimes events just line up more beneficial for some than others.

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By Loki9876

The meaning of life is living.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19  Edited By InnerVenom123

There is no meaning of life.

Only what you make of it.

Avatar image for 7am_waking_up_in_the_morning
7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think our grand parents spent better time and use with their lives.....

Because there was no internet.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#21  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@Decoy Elite said:

There ya go.

This.

Any other answer is a lie.

Avatar image for the_lunact_and_manic
The_Lunact_And_Manic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's all a monstrous, demented gag.

There ya go.

Alyssabird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Alyssabird

@DarkxSeraph said:

"How come he only intervenes in some peoples life and not those who need him in their times of need?"If you truly feel yourself with a need to answer this question, and believe in a god, I would suggest talking with a pastor/priest/priestess/vicar/imam, whichever that is appropriate to your particular belief structure. Spiritual crisis, as it seems you are going through, is best discussed with them, as they may provide the answers you need to hear.If you do not believe and are falling out of faith, then consider it a moment of clarity, as alcoholics would call it... that circumstance, opportunity, hard work, and simple 'luck' play into it and it can appear that other people are just 'granted' things, when in fact, sometimes events just line up more beneficial for some than others.

Pastor's and priest's know absolutely nothing, they are the same as you or I; as I have pastor friends who i continually discuss these things with. The only answer they give me is 'god' is waiting for you. I've also realize that an older generation tends to fear death more; which in turn leads them to god. Fear is the catalyst for impulsive behavior; ergo a sense of desperation and need for life after death.

Avatar image for 7am_waking_up_in_the_morning
7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think our grand parents spent better time and use with their lives.....

Because there was no internet.

So I think it best to ask one of them...

DarkxSeraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DarkxSeraph

Well, then if the men of the cloth for your particular faith, the experts in your beliefs, cannot console you, then perhaps it is time to look elsewhere to express that faith or decide to look into alternative beliefs to see what rings true to you.

*shrug*

Alyssabird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Alyssabird

@DarkxSeraph said:

Well, then if the men of the cloth for your particular faith, the experts in your beliefs, cannot console you, then perhaps it is time to look elsewhere to express that faith or decide to look into alternative beliefs to see what rings true to you. *shrug*

Why does there have to be a belief in god?

Avatar image for thesecondopinion
TheSecondOpinion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TheSecondOpinion

@Alyssabird said:

@DarkxSeraph said:

Well, then if the men of the cloth for your particular faith, the experts in your beliefs, cannot console you, then perhaps it is time to look elsewhere to express that faith or decide to look into alternative beliefs to see what rings true to you. *shrug*

Why does there have to be a belief in god?

There doesn't have to be. One will naturally imagine a higher power as they get older and more wise.

DarkxSeraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DarkxSeraph

"Why does there have to be a belief in god?"

*chuckles* There doesn't have to be, and I have no belief in such a being, myself, but in nearly every post you're referencing 'god' so, you seem to have some sort of belief.

I'm a humanist, friend. I believe mankind does what mankind does not out of some higher power, but because it is what mankind chooses to do.

But, I'm also not some anti-religion hater, as different people have different beliefs, so, as you were referencing a god, I suggested things that someone of a faith might use to their advantage in such a situation.

Oh, and this... One will naturally imagine a higher power as they get older and more wise."

Is hilarious.

Alyssabird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Alyssabird

@DarkxSeraph said:

"Why does there have to be a belief in god?"

*chuckles* There doesn't have to be, and I have no belief in such a being, myself, but in nearly every post you're referencing 'god' so, you seem to have some sort of belief.

I'm a humanist, friend. I believe mankind does what mankind does not out of some higher power, but because it is what mankind chooses to do.

But, I'm also not some anti-religion hater, as different people have different beliefs, so, as you were referencing a god, I suggested things that someone of a faith might use to their advantage in such a situation.

Oh, and this... One will naturally imagine a higher power as they get older and more wise." Is hilarious.

It's sadly true. Why do you think churches are packed with the elderly. Doesn't matter how old or wise you get, you'll always be afraid of something.

DarkxSeraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DarkxSeraph

"Why do you think churches are packed with the elderly. Doesn't matter how old or wise you get, you'll always be afraid of something."

This is not always true. It's actually a rather bitter way of looking at it. In many cases, when I have gone to church (and yes, I do go on occasion-- it's an interesting event of people watching--long story), most often you will find that these older people aren't afraid. They actually have faith. They were raised that way or came into it later in life by the events they have lived through. Faith comforts. Faith gives a reason to things.

People who go to a religion out of fear don't truly believe. They're just covering their behinds.

The vast, and I mean vast majority of elderly I have met that have been at church hold faith because they honestly believe and have felt touched by God/Allah, etc sometime in their life. And most aren't afraid of dying. They accept that it is going to happen. They don't go to church due to fear. They do it out of a sense of community and belonging, and a genuine desire to go practice their beliefs. *shrug*

I've been to baptist churchs, catholic, orthodox churches, and even a mosque. It's pretty much the same.

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

@Decoy Elite said:

There ya go.

The answer to everything.

@InnerVenom123 said:

This.

Alyssabird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Alyssabird

Sadly, you're wrong, they typically are. Every church I've been to in my home city has always been 99% Elderly; every single time. People, who go to church are afraid of death, as once before I said; fear is the catalyst for impulsive behavior.

Check you're sources.

The world is a sad place my friend.

DarkxSeraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DarkxSeraph

I don't know what depressing town you live in, or if whatever it is that has occured in your life has you so bitter... but this:

"Sadly, you're wrong, they typically are. Every church I've been to in my home city has always been 99% Elderly; every single time. People, who go to church are afraid of death, as once before I said; fear is the catalyst for impulsive behavior.

Check you're sources."

Is not correct in any of my experience, nor in things I have researched. Why and how? I'm a psychology student and researched this for a rather expansive paper on the nature of belief and the psychological effect it has as a soothing agent.

I visited over twenty churches in the chicagoland area, and a mosque with a mulsim friend. *shrug* Believe it or not, It is obvious you're in a very, very negative mood. Should you continue in this slump and be unable to pass out of it, I would suggest talking with a therapist to help overcome the source or your grief, or whatever it is that is driving you in such a direction.

Such negativity can actually manifest in physical ailments (suppressed immune system, etc).

Alyssabird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Alyssabird

@DarkxSeraph said:

I don't know what depressing town you live in, or if whatever it is that has occured in your life has you so bitter... but this:

"Sadly, you're wrong, they typically are. Every church I've been to in my home city has always been 99% Elderly; every single time. People, who go to church are afraid of death, as once before I said; fear is the catalyst for impulsive behavior.

Check you're sources." Is not correct in any of my experience, nor in things I have researched. Why and how? I'm a psychology student and researched this for a rather expansive paper on the nature of belief and the psychological effect it has as a soothing agent. I visited over twenty churches in the chicagoland area, and a mosque with a mulsim friend. *shrug* Believe it or not, It is obvious you're in a very, very negative mood. Should you continue in this slump and be unable to pass out of it, I would suggest talking with a therapist to help overcome the source or your grief, or whatever it is that is driving you in such a direction. Such negativity can actually manifest in physical ailments (suppressed immune system, etc).

You are overly assuming and rather than staying on topic; you continually refer to me. Please, stay on topic.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35  Edited By Pyrogram

@Alyssabird

You bring the meaning to it. The meaning of life is whatever you ascribe it to be. Being alive is the meaning.

Alyssabird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Alyssabird

@Pyrogram said:

@Alyssabird

You bring the meaning to it. The meaning of life is whatever you ascribe it to be. Being alive is the meaning.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2e798651249
deactivated-5b2e798651249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@The Stegman said:

Why must you humans insist on placing meaning onto everything? The purpose of life is simply to live it.

There is wisdom in this post.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

There is no meaning to life,don't waste it away trying to find something that does not exist.

Just enjoy this strange world we live in and make your own way in life.

Alyssabird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Alyssabird

It's nice that we have summarized the value in life with mere ignorance to purpose; however, it can be perceived both ways, positive and negative. Though, most religions do teach seeking purpose for fulfillment in life; do they not?

18hunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By 18hunt

To ake people smile, it makes both of you happy, oh yeah, and the opposite gender, cause their hot...

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Pyrogram

@18hunt said:

To ake people smile, it makes both of you happy, oh yeah, and the opposite gender, cause their hot...

Agreed!

Alyssabird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Alyssabird

@Edamame said:

Well, I'd recommend inventing your own purposes. Also, I'd recommend not being the type who seeks positive attention. Just do things for yourself regardless of how you are perceived or if they agree with certain established standards. Independence and self-reliance are key.

This thread wasn't made because I'm seeking attention; merely because it was on my mind, and me being a philosophical thinker, couldn't help but want to hear the opinions of others.

Avatar image for redbird3rdboywonder
redbird3rdboywonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I totally have the perfect quotes for this

~It's only through the eyes of others do our lives have meaning~ -Haku

~There is no meaning in our world. And no meaning in us who live there. We, meaningless think of the world, Although there is no meaning there, Is even meaningless itself~

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Pyrogram

@Alyssabird said:

@Edamame said:

Well, I'd recommend inventing your own purposes. Also, I'd recommend not being the type who seeks positive attention. Just do things for yourself regardless of how you are perceived or if they agree with certain established standards. Independence and self-reliance are key.

This thread wasn't made because I'm seeking attention; merely because it was on my mind, and me being a philosophical thinker, couldn't help but want to hear the opinions of others.

0_0

Alyssabird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Alyssabird

@Pyrogram said:

@Alyssabird said:

@Edamame said:

0_0

Lov u 2

deadpoolrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#48  Edited By deadpoolrules

@Decoy Elite said:

There ya go.

You read my mind,man.

ChaosBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#49  Edited By ChaosBlazer

@InnerVenom123 said:

@The Stegman said:

@Loki9876 said:

The meaning of life is living.

All of these are good answers.

And not everything has to have an explanation that we humans understand. there will always be some amount of mystery in our lives and we won't always understand why things happen. I'm sure one day we all will.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Pyrogram

Meaning of life in reality? reproduction.