#201 Posted by mv (1876 posts) - - Show Bio

Say no more

#202 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio

#203 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio
@MTS said:

"   Say no more

"
Papoose did it better..and I can't stand english accented rappers.

it reminds me of Ali G
#204 Edited by mv (1876 posts) - - Show Bio
@geraldthesloth: 
I prefer Lowkey's version, can't stand accents lol sorry that not every rapper in the world has a American accent . What do you think of the song itself ?  Oh and Ali G can't rap at all
#205 Posted by iloverobots (455 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't read the whole thread because I feel like every other post will be "lolol hip hop sucks they just sample shit and call it their own" but here I go. 

People who go around saying "hip hop is dead" need to stop watching MTV (sorry Nas, although Illmatic is in my top 10 albums of all time, you're done). I've been listening to rap all my life and the majority of rap music always sucked, hell, that goes for all styles of music. The difference is that any asshole with a computer can make an album now so it seems like there's more trash out there. Whenever someone asks me for good hip hop I recommend: 

Raekwon's Built for Cuban Linx (pt. 2 was one of the best album of 2009) 
Aesop Rock
P.O.S.  / Doomtree (a hip hop collective of mc's, dj's and producers)
Wale (the Mixtape About Nothing, an "homage" to Seinfeld was amazing) 
A Tribe Called Quest (although most of their post-00's stuff is only average) 
Promoe (vegan/straight edge rap artist from Sweden) 

and recently I came across a mash up album called "Wu Tang VS The Beatles" and the production on it is the best thing I've heard in a really long time. It's far from the simple mashups you find on youtube (aka get an acapella, get an instrumental, match the tempo and release it!) - it's brilliantly sampled. It's not available on the guy's website anymore because some record label threaten to sue him for copyright infringement but I'm sure it's available somewhere out there (hit me up with a PM if you can't find it).  

I don't think it gets much better than this song. Production by Blockhead.
#206 Posted by whacknasty (5615 posts) - - Show Bio
@iloverobots:
I like your taste of artists up there.  Well, I dont know about that Wale kid, or Promoe, but the others are all in my top listens as well... And usually anything Blockhead works on is amazing, imo.
#207 Posted by TheSavageAssasin (2761 posts) - - Show Bio
@geraldthesloth said:
" @Son_of_Magnus: I'd have to call BS on that part he does nothing original and doesn't even do his tricks clean, boardslides/lipslides and kickflips aren't exactly the hardest tricks to do. I've been skating since I was 13 :P "
Psh...I been skating since i was 3!
#208 Posted by geraldthesloth (33313 posts) - - Show Bio
@iloverobots: Daylight is an insta classic
#209 Posted by The Mast (788 posts) - - Show Bio

To me, Vast Aire will always be the best overall MC, when he's at his best.  The Cold Vein by Cannibal Ox is a masterpiece that won't get the credit it deserves because it's not got Lil Wayne on it. All the best MCs, talent wise, are underground. It's just the way it is.

Mainstream MCs used to have to PROVE they were the shit. Now they convince themselves they are because they sell records.

#210 Posted by Vance Astro (91224 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Mast said:
" To me, Vast Aire will always be the best overall MC, when he's at his best.  The Cold Vein by Cannibal Ox is a masterpiece that won't get the credit it deserves because it's not got Lil Wayne on it. All the best MCs, talent wise, are underground. It's just the way it is.  Mainstream MCs used to have to PROVE they were the shit. Now they convince themselves they are because they sell records. "
Lil Wayne is better than all of the MC's you just named IMO.
#211 Posted by whacknasty (5615 posts) - - Show Bio

Vast is nice, but I havent been feeling him since the Cold Vein really...  I listened to him and Blueprint on a track from "Look Mom, No Hands", Zenith, and honestly Blueprint's verse was a lot nicer... 

What do you guys think of Blueprint overall?  He is top 20 for me, and climbing (his stuff with Greenhouse Effect, and the stuff with RJD2 is amazing)...
#212 Posted by Vance Astro (91224 posts) - - Show Bio
@whacknasty said:
" Vast is nice, but I havent been feeling him since the Cold Vein really...  I listened to him and Blueprint on a track from "Look Mom, No Hands", Zenith, and honestly Blueprint's verse was a lot nicer...  What do you guys think of Blueprint overall?  He is top 20 for me, and climbing (his stuff with Greenhouse Effect, and the stuff with RJD2 is amazing)... "
Honestly I think Blueprint is mediocre.
#213 Posted by King Saturn (224168 posts) - - Show Bio
The Blueprint 3 was Okay... I think the problem is that folks think more highly of it when we had so little quality hip hop music produced on Full Length LPs in 2009... ( once again 2009 was the year where MCs showed their best on Mixtapes )...  
honestly as far as new talent in Hip Hop... its slim pickings IMO... I mean Drake is up and down ( he can be great on some songs... then he does average on other joints... with all the singing and love songs he does )...
#214 Posted by FLCL1 (9580 posts) - - Show Bio
@King Saturn: @Vance Astro:  

vance is right on this one 

jay-z is one of the best songwriters right now however his recent CD was terrible there was only 2 good songs on it not only this but his lyrics reminded me of drake -_- not only THAT but rihanna lame a$$ was on there 

i was very disappointed in the CD
#215 Posted by King Saturn (224168 posts) - - Show Bio
has anyone heard Canibus new album ? why is he still trying to diss Eminem ? 
#216 Posted by Y intercept (1436 posts) - - Show Bio

Are we talking about the Blueprint? or the Blueprint 3?

I think Reasonable Doubt = Blue print 1
Blue print 1 = Blue print 2
and blue print 2 = blue print 3

#217 Posted by FLCL1 (9580 posts) - - Show Bio
@King Saturn said:
" has anyone heard Canibus new album ? why is he still trying to diss Eminem ?  "

he is mad because he sucks a$$ lol duh 
#218 Posted by King Saturn (224168 posts) - - Show Bio
@Y intercept said:
" Are we talking about the Blueprint? or the Blueprint 3?  I think Reasonable Doubt = Blue print 1 Blue print 1 = Blue print 2 and blue print 2 = blue print 3 "
how does this make sense ?  I mean based on these equations all the albums are equal to one another... so Blueprint 3 = Resonable Doubt ?  
#219 Posted by FLCL1 (9580 posts) - - Show Bio
@Y intercept said:
" Are we talking about the Blueprint? or the Blueprint 3?  I think Reasonable Doubt = Blue print 1 Blue print 1 = Blue print 2 and blue print 2 = blue print 3 "
??????????????????
#220 Posted by King Saturn (224168 posts) - - Show Bio
@FLCL1 said:
" @King Saturn said:
" has anyone heard Canibus new album ? why is he still trying to diss Eminem ?  "
he is mad because he sucks a$$ lol duh  "
lmfao
#221 Posted by SwaggaB0y (5262 posts) - - Show Bio

Jay-z has no soul

#222 Posted by Y intercept (1436 posts) - - Show Bio
@King Saturn said:
" @Y intercept said:
how does this make sense ?  I mean based on these equations all the albums are equal to one another... so Blueprint 3 = Resonable Doubt ?   "
Bavially what i was saying was that The First Album, Which is reasonable doubt in my eyes was the Blueprint one (The Blueprint being the Album that everyone remembers Jay-Z for)
#223 Posted by King Saturn (224168 posts) - - Show Bio
@SwaggaB0y said:
" Jay-z has no soul "
you trying to say he is Nekron or something ? 
lol 
#224 Posted by SwaggaB0y (5262 posts) - - Show Bio
@King Saturn:
nah I mean is music has no soul. lol
#225 Edited by The Mast (788 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:

" @The Mast said:

" To me, Vast Aire will always be the best overall MC, when he's at his best.  The Cold Vein by Cannibal Ox is a masterpiece that won't get the credit it deserves because it's not got Lil Wayne on it. All the best MCs, talent wise, are underground. It's just the way it is.  Mainstream MCs used to have to PROVE they were the shit. Now they convince themselves they are because they sell records. "

Lil Wayne is better than all of the MC's you just named IMO. "

All the MCs I just named? As in...one and a duo, in which that previous one is a member? Have you ever even heard or heard OF Cannibal Ox?

If there was any chance of me taking your hip hop opinion with any weight, it just went flying out the window. You go listen to a man who is praised for lines like: "I'll turn crack rock into a mountain", and I'll listen to people you judge but don't even know. Cool? Lovely stuff.

Lil Wayne is garbage. He's always been garbage. Just another case of people saying he's good cos they think they have to. Nobody gave a shit when he was starting out with Cash Money, now he's popular everyone's up his ass.

Lil Wayne may be someone who makes hip hop you prefer, but he factually doesn't have the grammatical, linguistic or lyrical skill of someone like Vast Aire.

When Lil Wayne writes a piece as good as: "I rest my head on 115, but miracles only happen on 34th, so I guess life is mean, and death is the median. Purgatory; the mode that we settle in.", we'll come back and have a chat. Until he does better than the shit he's always churned out, he'll never be on the technical skill level of anyone I can name. You may like his music better, and overall that's what counts, but that doesn't make him a better MC.
#226 Edited by King Saturn (224168 posts) - - Show Bio

@Y intercept said:

" @King Saturn said:

" @Y intercept said:
how does this make sense ?  I mean based on these equations all the albums are equal to one another... so Blueprint 3 = Resonable Doubt ?   "
Bavially what i was saying was that The First Album, Which is reasonable doubt in my eyes was the Blueprint one (The Blueprint being the Album that everyone remembers Jay-Z for) "
you sure The Blueprint is the album that everyone remembers Jay-Z for ? I would argue that Vol. 2 Hard Knock Life is the album Jay-Z is remembered for because it put Jay-Z ON THE MAP... you cant honestly tell me that Jay-Z was a Hip Hop Superstar until he dropped his single " Hard Knock Life " on his Vol 2. album... that set Hov Up for his Major Run in Hip Hop with Hit Records... and Vol 2. Hard Knock Life to this day is Jay-Z's highest selling album Worldwide and in the US... 
#227 Posted by King Saturn (224168 posts) - - Show Bio
@SwaggaB0y said:
" @King Saturn:nah I mean is music has no soul. lol "
ah I see
#228 Posted by The Mast (788 posts) - - Show Bio
@whacknasty said:
" Vast is nice, but I havent been feeling him since the Cold Vein really...  I listened to him and Blueprint on a track from "Look Mom, No Hands", Zenith, and honestly Blueprint's verse was a lot nicer...  What do you guys think of Blueprint overall?  He is top 20 for me, and climbing (his stuff with Greenhouse Effect, and the stuff with RJD2 is amazing)... "

Oh, no doubt. He still drops some unparalleled shit on both his solo albums, but he hasn't been as consistent. Simply because he...hasn't done much since.

Point is, I don't think any mainstream MC has the capacity to produce anything close to what The Cold Vein was, or Vast's work on it, especially not Lil Wayne. I mean, I'm not sure what Vance is on, but Lil Wayne better than Vast? Blueprint mediocre?

Music's taste is subjective, but really?
#229 Posted by Vance Astro (91224 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Mast said:
All the MCs I just named? As in...one and a duo, in which that previous one is a member? Have you ever even heard or heard OF Cannibal Ox?  If there was any chance of me taking your hip hop opinion with any weight, it just went flying out the window. You go listen to a man who is praised for lines like: "I'll turn crack rock into a mountain", and I'll listen to people you judge but don't even know. Cool? Lovely stuff.  Lil Wayne is garbage. He's always been garbage. Just another case of people saying he's good cos they think they have to. Nobody gave a shit when he was starting out with Cash Money, not he's popular everyone's up his ass.  Lil Wayne may be someone who makes hip hop you prefer, but he factually doesn't have the grammatical, linguistic or lyrical skill of someone like Vast Aire.  When Lil Wayne writes a piece as good as: "I rest my head on 115, but miracles only happen on 34th, so I guess life is mean, and death is the median. Purgatory; the mode that we settle in", we'll come back and have a chat. Until he does better than the shit he's always churned out, he'll never be on the technical skill level of anyone I can name. You may like his music better, and overall that's what counts, but that doesn't make him a better MC. "
I don't even like Lil Wayne honestly just all of the MC's you named are garbage.Underground doesn't=good.I think you're hatin' on Lil Wayne because he's popular.
#230 Posted by King Saturn (224168 posts) - - Show Bio
well to switch it up a little... who here is ready for that new Method Man, Ghostface Killah, Raekwon album " Three The Hard Way " or it could be called " The Wu-Massacre "... its a working title
#231 Posted by Vance Astro (91224 posts) - - Show Bio
@King Saturn said:
" well to switch it up a little... who here is ready for that new Method Man, Ghostface Killah, Raekwon album " Three The Hard Way " or it could be called " The Wu-Massacre "... its a working title "
That's going to be good.Ghost always delivers so I know with Meth and Rae he's going to make a a classic.
#232 Posted by Y intercept (1436 posts) - - Show Bio
@King Saturn said:
"
@Y intercept said:

" @King Saturn said:

" @Y intercept said:
Bavially what i was saying was that The First Album, Which is reasonable doubt in my eyes was the Blueprint one (The Blueprint being the Album that everyone remembers Jay-Z for) "
you sure The Blueprint is the album that everyone remembers Jay-Z for ? I would argue that Vol. 2 Hard Knock Life is the album Jay-Z is remembered for because it put Jay-Z ON THE MAP... you cant honestly tell me that Jay-Z was a Hip Hop Superstar until he dropped his single " Hard Knock Life " on his Vol 2. album... that set Hov Up for his Major Run in Hip Hop with Hit Records... and Vol 2. Hard Knock Life to this day is Jay-Z's highest selling album Worldwide and in the US...  "
I say the Blue Print, because it was the Album where everyone said "His name can sell records" and for him to be the "hardcore" Rapper that he once was to adjust to a more soulful and upbeat sound. 

I think that this was the only Album he put out in his early years that talked about a variety of things.
Beef
Heart Break
Love
Money

Where as Hard knock Live talked about, well his hard life.
#233 Posted by The Mast (788 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" @The Mast said:
All the MCs I just named? As in...one and a duo, in which that previous one is a member? Have you ever even heard or heard OF Cannibal Ox?  If there was any chance of me taking your hip hop opinion with any weight, it just went flying out the window. You go listen to a man who is praised for lines like: "I'll turn crack rock into a mountain", and I'll listen to people you judge but don't even know. Cool? Lovely stuff.  Lil Wayne is garbage. He's always been garbage. Just another case of people saying he's good cos they think they have to. Nobody gave a shit when he was starting out with Cash Money, not he's popular everyone's up his ass.  Lil Wayne may be someone who makes hip hop you prefer, but he factually doesn't have the grammatical, linguistic or lyrical skill of someone like Vast Aire.  When Lil Wayne writes a piece as good as: "I rest my head on 115, but miracles only happen on 34th, so I guess life is mean, and death is the median. Purgatory; the mode that we settle in", we'll come back and have a chat. Until he does better than the shit he's always churned out, he'll never be on the technical skill level of anyone I can name. You may like his music better, and overall that's what counts, but that doesn't make him a better MC. "
I don't even like Lil Wayne honestly just all of the MC's you named are garbage.Underground doesn't=good.I think you're hatin' on Lil Wayne because he's popular. "

Despite the fact that I just said he's always been garbage and I've always thought he was garbage?

Yes, you make sense. Perfect sense.

Vast Aire is garbage? Well, I now know who not to listen to regarding their opinions of hip hop. For shits, though, what puts Lil Wayne above Vast Aire? It's not his skill or technique because he doesn't have better lyrical skill or technique. So what is it? I thought it was musical preference, but it's obviously not that.
#234 Posted by Vance Astro (91224 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone cop that fairly new MF DOOM? 

#235 Posted by King Saturn (224168 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" @King Saturn said:
" well to switch it up a little... who here is ready for that new Method Man, Ghostface Killah, Raekwon album " Three The Hard Way " or it could be called " The Wu-Massacre "... its a working title "
That's going to be good.Ghost always delivers so I know with Meth and Rae he's going to make a a classic. "
thats what I am thinking... its supposed to come out next month... I dont think they will push it back any further... hopefully they wont...  

#236 Edited by The Mast (788 posts) - - Show Bio

I still hold Method Man high up on the all time rankings because of all the shit he's done right. He just hasn't delivered for me lately.

I didn't like Blackout! 2 one bit, it wasn't a patch on the first album. Neither of the two brought the best they're capable of. I heard a track by Ghost/Rae/Meth and it seemed like the sum of the parts were not as good as they should be.

It'll be worth listening to, I don't think it's going to be Ironman/Cuban Linx/Tical levels of greatness though.

#237 Posted by Vance Astro (91224 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Mast said:
 Despite the fact that I just said he's always been garbage and I've always thought he was garbage?  Yes, you make sense. Perfect sense.  Vast Aire is garbage? Well, I now know who not to listen to regarding their opinions of hip hop. For shits, though, what puts Lil Wayne above Vast Aire? It's not his skill or technique because he doesn't have better lyrical skill or technique. So what is it? I thought it was musical preference, but it's obviously not that. "
Lil Wayne has gotten alot better as a lyracist then when he first came out..so if you thought he sucked before it's irrelevant because he's past that.If you are going to sit there and pretend he's been a consistently poor lyracist his entire career.We don't have anything to talk about.I might as well not bother to answer your question because you'll just b#tch about the answer and over exaggerate the weight of my opinion.
#238 Posted by Donnieman v5.1 (44323 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Vast Aire is great.

I don't like Lil Wayne. I admit he has a knack for making his music catchy and popular but I've never liked his lyrics.

@Vance Astro: I did. Doom will always be up there as one of my top faves. He's never really disappointed in my eyes.

#239 Posted by Y intercept (1436 posts) - - Show Bio

Freeewayyyyy

Freeelapse!

#240 Posted by Vance Astro (91224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Donnieman v5.1 said:
"

I think Vast Aire is great.

I don't like Lil Wayne. I admit he has a knack for making his music catchy and popular but I've never liked his lyrics.

@Vance Astro: I did. Doom will always be up there as one of my top faves. He's never really disappointed in my eyes.

"
Born like this dissapointed me.I think it lacked the production of albums like Mmm..Food.There's some good songs on there,don't get me wrong but he has joints on there with beats from Special Herbs.
#241 Posted by Agent Buttons (13479 posts) - - Show Bio
herbs...
#242 Posted by Vance Astro (91224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Y intercept said:
" Freeewayyyyy  Freeelapse! "
People always sleep on Free.I think every one of his albums are worth a purchase.
#243 Posted by King Saturn (224168 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" Anyone cop that fairly new MF DOOM? 

"
I copped it... its a solid album... 
#244 Posted by Vance Astro (91224 posts) - - Show Bio

Is anyone up on Jay Electronica? MC from NEW ORLEANS.I think he's nice.Mos Def,Nas,T.I co-sign 

#245 Posted by King Saturn (224168 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:
" Is anyone up on Jay Electronica? MC from NEW ORLEANS.I think he's nice.Mos Def,Nas,T.I co-sign 

"
Jay Electronica is a Beast... 
#246 Edited by The Mast (788 posts) - - Show Bio
@Vance Astro said:

" @The Mast said:

Despite the fact that I just said he's always been garbage and I've always thought he was garbage?  Yes, you make sense. Perfect sense.  Vast Aire is garbage? Well, I now know who not to listen to regarding their opinions of hip hop. For shits, though, what puts Lil Wayne above Vast Aire? It's not his skill or technique because he doesn't have better lyrical skill or technique. So what is it? I thought it was musical preference, but it's obviously not that. "
Lil Wayne has gotten alot better as a lyracist then when he first came out..so if you thought he sucked before it's irrelevant because he's past that.If you are going to sit there and pretend he's been a consistently poor lyracist his entire career.We don't have anything to talk about.I might as well not bother to answer your question because you'll just b#tch about the answer and over exaggerate the weight of my opinion. "

I've heard Tha Carter 3, nothing on there is remotely clever or intellectual. Nothing about his rhymes have gained any weight. I mean, A Milli? Nearly everyone that freestyled over that beat did it way better than him. Fabolous, Jadakiss etc, they beat him with his own song. Jadakiss hasn't been good since...fuck, I don't even know when.

You give his lyrics credit, I don't. Point is; to call Vast Aire garbage and say Lil Wayne is better shows a distinct lack of appreciation for lyrical skill.
#247 Posted by Donnieman v5.1 (44323 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro: I liked it. I don't think it's as good as his past albums either but I realize his past albums were absolutely dope and hard to top. and Freeway is garbage now IMO. Only his first album and his features from around that time were dope. I don't know what he has become. Also, Jay Electronica is the sh!t. I listen to him everyday. People are seriously sleeping on him. His songs are dope. AND, Just Blaze is behind him with production.

#248 Posted by Vance Astro (91224 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Mast said: 
 I've heard Tha Carter 3, nothing on there is remotely clever or intellectual. Nothing about his rhymes have gained any weight. I mean, A Milli? Nearly everyone that freestyled over that beat did it way better than him. Fabolous, Jadakiss etc, they beat him with his own song. Jadakiss hasn't been good since...fuck, I don't even know when. "
The Carter 3 is a weak ass album.I'm not glorifying Wayne or even saying he's one of my favorite rappers but the dudes you think are better than him are garbage.It's a reason not many people have heard of them.Vast Aire's bars are mediocre.Saigon is better than him and he's wack too.
#249 Posted by King Saturn (224168 posts) - - Show Bio
I miss Pharoahe Monch... 
#250 Posted by Vance Astro (91224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Donnieman v5.1 said:
"

@Vance Astro: I liked it. I don't think it's as good as his past albums either but I realize his past albums were absolutely dope and hard to top. and Freeway is garbage now IMO. Only his first album and his features from around that time were dope. I don't know what he has become. Also, Jay Electronica is the sh!t. I listen to him everyday. People are seriously sleeping on him. His songs are dope. AND, Just Blaze is behind him with production.

"
As far as Doom,Born Like this was an ok album.With such a delay I expect more from Doom.Him and Ghostface where supposed to be doing an album.I don't know what happened with that.As far as Freeway.I think Free At Last and Philadelphia Freeway were good albums.I can't really put my finger on why I like Free.He's not really an incredible lyricist but he does make good songs IMO.And as far a Jay..I heard Exhibit C on the radio the other day.I was excited.It's such a good song.