The Hip-Hop Thread

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@rouflex said:

@rouflex: Oh i forgot... The video is talking about the death of manu too.

Loading Video...

Was this cat on the around the world freestyle?

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9352  Edited By Rouflex
Avatar image for the_legendary_supersaiyan_hulk
The_Legendary_SuperSaiyan_Hulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone else want to see Hopsin, Eminem, and Tech N9ne do a collaboration?

KingAres109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get Nekkid!I'm bumping a bunch of sh*t from teenage and child hood....

Cooldes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

WTF guys... why did no one tell me Because Of The Internet leaked?

Cooldes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

woah.. the because of the internet screen play starts RIGHT after camp...

and clapping to the wrong reasons is hella intertwinded in it and they are ALL hella referenced all over the album.

Childish is a genius

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

@superstay: Thanks, I'll check out the Earl Sweatshirt version someday soon, hopefully.

EDIT:

JesusChristIfiLiveLife!

I just types this... long... *grunts*

freaking Laptop yo.

@nelomaxwell

Like I previously typed, I think the beef is whack too but the phone call is MAD corny.

II. I see what your saying but I think when someone says they're running it, it doesn't mean their the most talented but just the most at something like popular.

III.

Asap Mob are not beefing with Pro Era! Swear to God! Seriously? Damn. I can't believe this is happening and that I've missed this.

IV.

I can't believe King Saturn still thinks 2013 has yet to produce a solid record. Tis a shame but whatever.

V.

I think STARs theory on 50's methods ruining NY commodity is true.

(+)

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We got that Busta Rhymes / Q-Tip album mixtape coming soon...

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1
deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saw Childish Gambino on Kimmel last night.

I still dont get the hype that surrounds dude.

Jezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some time ago I professed my belief that Kanye West is actually not that good a rapper, as in I'm unimpressed by his lyricism - he only has a genuinely clever line every now and again - in my African American Lit Class.

Needless to say, I was surprised by how quickly I received death stares, shocked-slack jawed-open mouthed gapes, and people were jumping up to defend him...all out chaos erupted...

After that, I made a point to troll the people in class by criticizing Kanye. They were all like, "You aint got the answers Jezer! You aint got the answers!"

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9361  Edited By King_Saturn

@jezer said:

Some time ago I professed my belief that Kanye West is actually not that good a rapper, as in I'm unimpressed by his lyricism - he only has a genuinely clever line every now and again - in my African American Lit Class.

Needless to say, I was surprised by how quickly I received death stares, shocked-slack jawed-open mouthed gapes, and people were jumping up to defend him...all out chaos erupted...

After that, I made a point to troll the people in class by criticizing Kanye. They were all like, "You aint got the answers Jezer! You aint got the answers!"

They actually call you Jezer in Real Life ?

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That Busta Rhymes and Q-Tip mixtape The Abstract and The Dragon is the Best Thing I have heard this year.

Frenemy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What do you guys think about the new Goodie Mob album, 'age against the machine'?

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frenemy said:

What do you guys think about the new Goodie Mob album, 'age against the machine'?

Its Different

Frenemy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9365  Edited By Frenemy

@king_saturn: lol..

Like, 'good different' or 'bad different'?

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9366  Edited By King_Saturn

@frenemy said:

@king_saturn: lol..

Like, 'good different' or 'bad different'?

a little more of the latter...

Frenemy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I miss Nickelus F

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Loading Video...

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jezer: Because lyricism isnt all that determines a good rapper

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jnr6lil said:

But it's Very Important...

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9372  Edited By BlessedbyHorus

Anyone else want to see Hopsin, Eminem, and Tech N9ne do a collaboration?

I stopped caring for Hopsin for some reason. Just my opinion.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Talib Kweli new album ?

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frenemy said:

Wait Goodie Mob has a new album?

@superstay: Thanks, I'll check out the Earl Sweatshirt version someday soon, hopefully.

EDIT:

JesusChristIfiLiveLife!

I just types this... long... *grunts*

freaking Laptop yo.

@nelomaxwell

Like I previously typed, I think the beef is whack too but the phone call is MAD corny.

II. I see what your saying but I think when someone says they're running it, it doesn't mean their the most talented but just the most at something like popular.

III.

Asap Mob are not beefing with Pro Era! Swear to God! Seriously? Damn. I can't believe this is happening and that I've missed this.

IV.

I can't believe King Saturn still thinks 2013 has yet to produce a solid record. Tis a shame but whatever.

V.

I think STARs theory on 50's methods ruining NY commodity is true.

(+)

TI had somethings to say about TJ's comments.

@_slim_ said:

Some like him some don't care for him.

@jezer said:

This?

Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nelomaxwell: I haven't seen Tips comments on Nick James.

@king_saturn said:

Talib Kweli new album ?

Yeah, I heard that too.

@_slim_ said:

I truthfully believe he doesn't have that much of a hype. I think his hype is still slowly growing. I think he has some hype because he is arguably the first actor to be a successful MC.

I personally believe that is partially one reason why he has acquired some hype. I think he also has hype for being a new/different/added version of the Nerdy MC's.

KanYe is arguably the first successful Nerdy MC. However, there are still variations of Nerds. KanYe was the sophisticated school kid. Lupe was the rebellious nerd. Electronica is the enlightened nerd and we can keep going.

Gambino to me is the Goofy Nerd. He isn't the "power to the people" not completely at least. He isn't the "conscious rapper." He isn't the stylish rapper. He isn't the bleak rapper. For me is highest trait that has gained him attention is being goofy.

Goofy by being "real" or "true."

His lines like "I'm a beast ****** GIR, Invader Zim" for example. Other MC's have used Nerdy lines but all have been used to still emphasize they are tough or intelligent. Gambino's Zim line only emphasizes his silliness.

I think this verse shows what makes Childish Gambino different from the rest.

"I'm not trying to come hard, I'm trying to come me

That's why these older songs that I used to make I'd release free

What's the point of rap if you can't be yourself, huh?

That's why I come first like my cell phone

I'm a role model, I am not these other guys

I rap about my d*** and talk about what girls is fly

I know it's dumb, that's the ****king reason I'm doing it

So why does everyone have a problem with talking stupid $h!%?

Or is it real $h!%?

'Cause sometimes that stupid $H!% is real $H!%

Like when you make out with your best friend's baby sis

You know the one with short hair you used to babysit?

See, that's not even right."

It is honest but comes off as a bit awkward. Awkward, like a stereotypical nerd would be. Like, "I'm tryna come me," a bit awkward, no? Or admitting to hooking up with a friends younger sister, who is likely way younger than him, awkward, no?

To me he's the Goofy awkward Nerd MC and he's confident about it like... that's me. I personally view this as the core reason why he has obtained some hype and he's gained more hype from other traits/reasons.

(+)

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nelomaxwell: He didn't say much for me. He didn't really express an opinion. For me, he was merely being politically correct. He's the best at that. I love watching his interviews on how he carries himself to be politically correct.

He said "with all due respect," he pointed out that Nick James has the right to speak for himself, he said of course his statement wouldn't get a definite ok response because he is a novice in the game, and still pointed out that it isn't a diss.

It's true but I'm getting ready for Hip Hop to move on to another subject. I don't think there is much to explore on this subject. The subject on what Lord Jamal said on a Vlad interview can still be explored.

I think Tip summed it up. He can say whatever he feels like but he shouldn't have said what he said.

Anyone seen that Kendrick and Dr. Dre commercial?

"I AM, Kay Dizza!"

(+)

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nelomaxwell: He didn't say much for me. He didn't really express an opinion. For me, he was merely being politically correct. He's the best at that. I love watching his interviews on how he carries himself to be politically correct.

He said "with all due respect," he pointed out that Nick James has the right to speak for himself, he said of course his statement wouldn't get a definite ok response because he is a novice in the game, and still pointed out that it isn't a diss.

It's true but I'm getting ready for Hip Hop to move on to another subject. I don't think there is much to explore on this subject. The subject on what Lord Jamal said on a Vlad interview can still be explored.

I think Tip summed it up. He can say whatever he feels like but he shouldn't have said what he said.

Anyone seen that Kendrick and Dr. Dre commercial?

"I AM, Kay Dizza!"

(+)

Do you agree with Lord Jamar?

BrokenSpear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9379  Edited By BrokenSpear

@nelomaxwell:

I was glad you put me on to that Lord Jamar isht, i was complacent about the state of hip-hop and that dude got me diggin through the crates so i could listen to some of my favorite joints, i was listening to my Beatnuts album when i saw that verse that Yung posted and i was like...

I know Hip-Hop has changed, but what happened to the message?

This is the verse i was listening to when i saw that isht; there's only been a handful of joints in the last 5 years that could evoke a response in me like this isht did. . . it was something that spoke to the streets.

Dead Prez

Why I'ma, be stingy when I can share?

Why I'ma, be hateful if I could care?

Why would I hate my own, and forsake my home?

Why would I, fuck around and get a jake my chrome?

I wouldn't, have to stick you if we all could eat

It wouldn't be no need for beef, dyin' over streets

We don't even own anyway, you could get bucked off any day

We behind enemy lines, y'all still writin' Hennessey rhymes

While I'm tryin' to get a good price for a nine

Feel like my life on the line

That's why a nigga be hype all the time

Ready for the revolution at the drop of a dime

I got a duty to have security for my niggas

My duty to serve the beautiful black sisters

A duty to stand wit anybody that's wit us

And fully criticize all bullshitters

There should be awards presented, to niggas who fight back

Like Panther jackets, or sisters who like gats

I'm a full blooded warrior, ready for change

Recognize any soldier that's doin' the same

Because I love who I am, and that means everything to me

My life ain't worth a damn unless I'm dealin' with reality

When I look myself in the eyes it's just me

And I ain't gotta tell nobody no lies I feel free

And I would rather deal with the truth than falsehood

Than being fake with my people and claimin' it's all good

You can't run away from yourself so that's useless

If your word is bond then you don't have to make excuses

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Talib Kweli new album is Pretty Good...

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Talib Kweli new album is Pretty Good...

ShIZZ Kweli dropped a new album? =O

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Childish Gambino is Okay at best... that Big Head N!gga Kendrick Lamar can Rap though...

BrokenSpear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9385  Edited By BrokenSpear

@nelomaxwell:

He prolly had about 10 videos on vlad tv and i watched them all, people are givin him a lot of flak, callin him racist and homophobic but these are people that wanna be on some pc isht and denounce anybody that says something contrary as an ignorant hate-monger, but i listened to what he said and i gotta tell you... dude was keepin it real.

Hip-Hop was created by black people, it's a culture that was born out of the struggle and it gave us a voice; it connected us and gave us an identity. Then you got people like Macklemore comin around and criticizing hip-hop and trying to mold that identity into something more palatable for themselves.

Lemme tell you why that's some bullisht. The isht they say... that's the same isht the media was spouting when they were trying to shut hip-hop down. It's the reason that Will Smith boycotted the grammys, they didn't respect him enough to air his performance.

You got guys like Talib Qweli spittin conscious isht that the media couldn't give a ufck about, but a guy like macklemore comes around and they flock to him and give him credit for finally bringing a positive voice to the game. Bullisht

This clown macklemore with his priveleged ass thinks he can come in and dictate what he thinks hip-hop should be and push his agenda using our culture as a medium. He praises Hip-Hop with his right hand and shits on it with the left even though he has no idea what life is like in the hood.

Hip-Hop is a part of black culture, and like all cultures it has it's own identity, an identity that we want to hold on to. Macklemore can claim otherwise but he is an outsider, and outsiders can't just join someone's culture and try to change it because they find it unpalatable.

They have to prove themselves first, and macklemore has yet to do that.

Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nelomaxwell: He said a lot of things so I need one specific topic he touched on.

However, the two biggest ones are Gay Agenda and Black Music.

On his opinion of Hip Hop being Black Music: Yes of course it is. It would be foolish for one to say otherwise. It is black music. However, on his idea that "white rappers are guests in the house of Hip Hop," I respectfully disagree.

At one point in time yes "white rappers were guests in the house of Hip Hop." However, one stops being a guess when they start paying rent. In my eyes Eminem, Beastie Boys, and others started paying rent. The house of Hip Hop has become a safe haven for any "race" culture or ethnicity, in my eyes of course.

So, for Lord Jamal to say Mackelmore shouldn't be allowed to make music that promotes gays is wrong. As an artist one can talk about anything. eM made songs where he insults gays, Big L made a song where he states he will start raping women, Biggie made a song where he stated he has friends who will rape children.

No one questions them now but at one point they did. Ice T made a song titled "Cop Killer." Again an artists have the creative license to speak on whichever subject she/he chooses to speak on.

Just like Too Live Krew can make promiscuous songs, Mackelmore can make songs about gay rights.

Hip Hop is Black Music but no one can say, "your not black so you can't have a full creative license."

-

-

-

On the gay agenda: I honestly don't know and I don't care. It could be true that it is all a "evil conspiracy" if you will, to take over the world. I'm like Killer Mike, you can love anyone or anything for that matter, it doesn't concern me.

One can love a car, a A.I., a chicken, a horse, a building, a man, or woman and I will not care. In the words of J.Cole, "Who you **** don't make me nut, and what you eat don't make me $!%^." so let them be.

Lastly, I think Lord Jamal contradicts himself. But, then again, contradicting oneself is human nature.

(+)

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9387  Edited By Pharoh_Atem
Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nelomaxwell:

He prolly had about 10 videos on vlad tv and i watched them all, people are givin him a lot of flak, callin him racist and homophobic but these are people that wanna be on some pc isht and denounce anybody that says something contrary as an ignorant hate-monger, but i listened to what he said and i gotta tell you... dude was keepin it real.

Hip-Hop was created by black people, it's a culture that was born out of the struggle and it gave us a voice; it connected us and gave us an identity. Then you got people like Macklemore comin around and criticizing hip-hop and trying to mold that identity into something more palatable for themselves.

Lemme tell you why that's some bullisht. The isht they say... that's the same isht the media was spouting when they were trying to shut hip-hop down. It's the reason that Will Smith boycotted the grammys, they didn't respect him enough to air his performance.

You got guys like Talib Qweli spittin conscious isht that the media couldn't give a ufck about, but a guy like macklemore comes around and they flock to him and give him credit for finally bringing a positive voice to the game. Bullisht

This clown macklemore with his priveleged ass thinks he can come in and dictate what he thinks hip-hop should be and push his agenda using our culture as a medium. He praises Hip-Hop with his right hand and shits on it with the left even though he has no idea what life is like in the hood.

Hip-Hop is a part of black culture, and like all cultures it has it's own identity, an identity that we want to hold on to. Macklemore can claim otherwise but he is an outsider, and outsiders can't just join someone's culture and try to change it because they find it unpalatable.

This is what is called White Privilage. You dictate the terms of something you didn't start or create to the people that did. Then act offended when they tell you, "Well this is ours we made it you can't tell us how to do it."

And people are gonna probably call me a racialist or a racist or what ever for the above statement but tell me I'm wrong , then show and prove it.

BrokenSpear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9390  Edited By BrokenSpear

@nelomaxwell:

I don't want anyone to get it twisted, white rappers have made great contributions to hip-hop, Guys like 3rd bass, The Beastie boys, the Alchemist (dope beats), Eminem and even Bubba Sparxxx. They all brought something to the table and helped push Hip-hop into homes across America.

But they never criticized hip-hop, they respected it. And that's where macklemore perpetrated imo, he got his foot in the game and the first thing he did was to criticize how other rappers present themselves. Hip-hop has more than enough detractors in the mainstream media and it doesn't need some hipster clown to point out what critics already believe.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@brokenspear said:

@nelomaxwell:

This is what is called White Privilage. You dictate the terms of something you didn't start or create to the people that did. Then act offended when they tell you, "Well this is ours we made it you can't tell us how to do it."

And people are gonna probably call me a racialist or a racist or what ever for the above statement but tell me I'm wrong , then show and prove it.

Saying white pepole cant rap because they didn't start it is like saying black pepole cant fly planes because they didn't invent them.

BrokenSpear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9392  Edited By BrokenSpear

@jonny_anonymous:

Neither he nor I are saying they can't or shouldn't. We're sayin they don't have a right to criticize the culture and tell them how it should be done.

It's something like a straight person showing support for the lbgt community but at the same time criticizing their ways.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9393  Edited By BlessedbyHorus
Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@brokenspear: Why not? Everybody that raps makes it there own and says what they feel and if they don't then they don't have the right to say anything at all regardless if they are black, white, green or yellow.

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hip hop the hippity to the hip hop

BrokenSpear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9396  Edited By BrokenSpear

@jonny_anonymous:

Where was all that color blind isht in the 80's and the 90's. America was content to let black people own it while they could demonize it in the media, white people wanted to keep it out of their homes at all costs, but now that white rappers are becoming more prominent, America wants to appropriate our culture (yet again) and call it their own.

Hip-hop was part of my identity growing up, it helped to mold me and many others. It was somethin to look forward to in a world where teachers don't give a ufck about you, where you constantly get harassed by cops and every party gets ruined by a shoot out.

Hip-hop may not mean isht to you but it's something black people can be proud of, we created this isht and now everybody loves it. Is it too much to want others to respect that?

Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brokenspear: Hip-hop may not mean isht to you but it's something black people can be proud of, we created this isht and now everybody loves it. Is it too much to want acknowledgement?

Black People did create Hip Hop and they do deserve complete acknowledgement of that.

However, in any art form, no one has the right to dictate another artists creative license.

It be like saying, "hey green people created Opera music so you blue people can't have a full creative license. You can't add or change what the green people made."

Or like saying, "Hip Hop was made in NY so LA, ATL, and Chi City can't add or change things that the NY scene made."

Hip Hop is Black Music, it was created by the Black community but now it is a worldwide musical genre and sub-culture. No one can dictate another artists creative license but everyone does need to acknowledge that this was created from the Black community.

(+)

BrokenSpear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9398  Edited By BrokenSpear

@yung_ancient_one:

Lord Jamar was dead wrong to suggest that macklemore needed permission before he pushed his message. I'm all about freedom of speech and an artists right to express themselves however they want.

My issue with macklemore is his criticism of other rappers and Hip-Hop artists, black rappers get more than enough bad press in the media, the negative isht he pointed out has been said hundreds of times by many detractors. It wasn't like it was a revelation, so what was the point?

Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brokenspear: I'm not familiar with his criticism he has made of other rappers and/or Hip Hop artist, besides the fact that Hip-Hop is homophobic.

Hip-Hop is at least too gay conscious. The whole "pause," "no homo," and other things clearly show that Hip Hop is gay conscious.

I think he's entitled to speak his mind about that issue simply by being a human being.

Anything else I am not aware of and in my assumption he may be wrong but in the words of Ice Cube,

"For all ya rappers that don't do gangsta rap
Don't get on TV talking about gangsta rap

-
Cause 9 times at a 10 you don't know the **** you talking bout

-

Talk about that bull**** rap you do"

Best words ever from a living legend.

(+)

Jezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the discussions in this thread, I need to start visiting here regularly especially since I don't keep up with rap/hip-hop developments (Talib Kweli has a new album? Thankkkkkkks)

*Childish Gambino Post*

Your post was really on point. You really put into words the essence that is Childish Gambino.

Though, I would have to disagree with your assessment that Gambino isn't, at the same time, a conscious rapper. He actually really articulates the middle class/not from the ghetto/education oriented black experience, when he comments on the social pressure for him to behave "black" and disconnect he felt with people who didn't think he acted "black" enough. Basically, he calls into attention the false race binaries, where blacks "act" a certain way, whites "act" a certain way, etc. But he, in his goofness, just acts himself.

No... I just didn't want to put my name on the interwebs ._.

@jnr6lil said:

You know, Necessary versus Sufficient.

Lyricism doesn't sufficiently make one a good rapper. But, Lyricism is a necessary component for a good rapper. Therefore, lacking it necessarily makes one not a good rapper. Same as how air doesn't sufficiently allow you to live(food, a working body, etc.), but its necessary, so lacking it makes you die. Nomsayin?