The Evil Dead who's seen it/review thread!(Spoilers)

• 62 results
Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Ok, so I saw the first showing near me yesterday, loved it. IMO overall way better then the original in a lot of ways. There should be NO comedy in a horror movie, hence the name HORROR.

The only thing I was disappointed in was the rape scene, should have been worse, more detailed instead of the Hentai demon method...not to sound graphic but it seemed more like a bondage scene then anything else.

Still, this movie isn't terrible if you compare it to most remakes which a lot are terrible this one is not one of them..the acting is pretty good for a horror movie, the special effects are 100x better then the 81 version, it's far more scary and gory then the original and morbid. Very violent too.

Storyline overall is the same except for the Mia vs. Ash character, who essentially is the same kind of character(the ending would kind of hint at that)

As a bigtime horror fan, I'd give this movie a 9 out of 10 honestly. One reason for this is not only does it look far better then the original, no comedy which is key for "horror" film and most of all it didn't end stupid like "let's just kill everyone a la Cabin in the woods" style...

There's also no way in hell the remake was worse then 2 and 3...Army Of Darkness is the Bride Of Chucky/Seed Of Chucky of the ED films and no to be taken seriously. THIS movie however IS very serious...

The next big remake I look forward to in the genre is Child's Play out next year, but first Curse of Chucky comes later this year to DVD.

So overall I'd rate it a 9/10. What's your opinions on the movie for those of you who've seen it?

P.S. to answer if Bruce Campbell is definitely in or not...

Yes, at the end of the credits

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I haven't seen it yet.But I like Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#3 god_spawn  Moderator

I was supposed to go see it tonight, but my friends wimped out beceause, OMG, it'z a zcarey movee. I'll catch it another time and get back to this.

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By nerdork

You say comedy has no place in a horror film, and i agree; but that isnt what Sam Raimi was going for in Evil Dead II or Army of Darkness, those were meant to be parodies of the horror genre more than anything else. Evil Dead (1981), which the 2013 remake is clearly sourced from, has absolutely no comedy. If you found something funny, its due to the low budget for Special Effects, and the fact that its one of Sam and Ivan Raimi's first screenplays. Your reprehension for Evil Dead's sequels is warranted...everyone is entitled to their opinion; but, if you wanted a true horror film, why would you watch an obvious parody, and be upset about its implemented comedy?

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

Great movie. Fun, scary, gory, and even pretty funny at times. I loved it, and the after credits sequence is amazing.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, they're funny and entertaining but if you want more "freaky, not goofy and flat out serious" horror, then this new film will suffice :)

@ nerdock

I know these days you have so many "horror comedies" if it's appropriate I'm for it, like say "Young Frankenstein" or "Seed of Chucky" thing is a parody in itself is a comedy because it's usually meant to be funny at some point or not taken that seriously.

The second ED2 had it's funny moments like the animals yapping at Ash and Ash going nuts there for a little bit..and the third one was just pure comedy really and very little horror compared to the first Evil Dead and especially the new Evil Dead. Of course this is like anyone else on here, just my opinion. As a hardcore Horror fan I prefer there's little to no comedy in horror films, sadly it's one reason why a lot of people don't take the genre that seriously anymore. Just think, you're a horror fan right? What would you consider more horror.

Child's Play or Seed of Chucky? Evil Dead(2013) or Army Of Darkness? If you watch all 4 of those films you'll know exactly what I'm speaking of. ED 2 was more or less a parody, but it among AOD were also sequels....therefore actual movies. It's not the same as say Exorcist 1, 2 and 3 then later on the Parody Exorcist:Repossessed.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vaeternus: Problem is,is that alot of modern horror really isn't that.They tend just focus on the gore most or they seem to be ghost movies.Not saying the new Evil Dead is that.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vaeternus: Problem is,is that alot of modern horror really isn't that.They tend just focus on the gore most or they seem to be ghost movies.Not saying the new Evil Dead is that.

Yeah, a lot of times modern horror is silly or just resorts to "the silent to BOO jump out of your seat moments"

Like even Cabin In the woods was silly at times, but Evil Dead is like super serious the only part that's silly is one part which you can see via the spoilers in my OP.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrdecepticonleader said:

Yeah, a lot of times modern horror is silly or just resorts to "the silent to BOO jump out of your seat moments"

Like even Cabin In the woods was silly at times, but Evil Dead is like super serious the only part that's silly is one part which you can see via the spoilers in my OP.

Its not really silly.it just uses gore as the main thing without building suspense.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Vaeternus

@vaeternus said:

Its not really silly.it just uses gore as the main thing without building suspense.

I'm saying sometimes horror movies will just be silly like Cabin In the woods to try to relieve a moment before a cheesy scare tactic. Older horror movies rarely did that stuff, now in modern movies it's such a trend like someone cracks or a joke or does something silly then something weird or creepy happens...

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vaeternus said:

I'm saying sometimes horror movies will just be silly like Cabin In the woods to try to relieve a moment before a cheesy scare tactic. Older horror movies rarely did that stuff, now in modern movies it's such a trend like someone cracks or a joke or does something silly then something weird or creepy happens...

Yeah I suppose so.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Vaeternus

@vaeternus said:

@vaeternus said:

Yeah I suppose so.

I hear ya though, totally. I just want horror films to be more serious again that's all and not comedic.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vaeternus said:

@vaeternus said:

Yeah I suppose so.

I hear ya though, totally. I just want horror films to be more serious again that's all and not comedic.

Horror films usually are serious that is not the problem I have with some of them.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By InnerVenom123

It was f**king awesome.

And there actually was some dark comedy elements in it. Eric's... well, half of Eric's lines, for instance. He becomes an audience-avatar after unleashing the evil.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I still haven't seen it yet but these days I should go and see it.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vaeternus said:

@vaeternus said:

@vaeternus said:

Yeah I suppose so.

Horror films usually are serious that is not the problem I have with some of them.

Well, they're supposed to be but ones that have comedy, silly stuff aren't very serious but yeah between that and the cliche "boo jump" ,moments I could use less of...example, Halloween originally, Child's Play etc didn't depend on that stuff it was just naturally scary, creepy or like wow I can't sleep tonight scary.

Evil Dead brings alot of that with mia talking to herself, talking different, laughing etc. You know, that's all good. But yeah I agree. I hope they get more better and oldschool like the 70's, 80's and early 90's.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vaeternus said:

@vaeternus said:

@vaeternus said:

Yeah I suppose so.

Well, they're supposed to be but ones that have comedy, silly stuff aren't very serious but yeah between that and the cliche "boo jump" ,moments I could use less of...example, Halloween originally, Child's Play etc didn't depend on that stuff it was just naturally scary, creepy or like wow I can't sleep tonight scary.

Evil Dead brings alot of that with mia talking to herself, talking different, laughing etc. You know, that's all good. But yeah I agree. I hope they get more better and oldschool like the 70's, 80's and early 90's.

Well yeah not always though.I mean that is why I love Evil Dead 2 and AOD because it really doesn't take itself too seriously.Yet there are some genuine horror moments in there (Evil Dead 2 anyway) but it manages to be funny as well which I really appreciate.It is a pretty unique movie as well.

Of course I love full on horror like Halloween Friday the 13th etc.But I really like the original Evil Dead films too.

I think horror today needs to find its own feet and create some new things that can actually feel like horror.I know there are still good horror out there but the only real mainstream horror seems to rely on gore alone.I still need to see this film to make my own judgments on it.

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, they're funny and entertaining but if you want more "freaky, not goofy and flat out serious" horror, then this new film will suffice :)

@ nerdock

I know these days you have so many "horror comedies" if it's appropriate I'm for it, like say "Young Frankenstein" or "Seed of Chucky" thing is a parody in itself is a comedy because it's usually meant to be funny at some point or not taken that seriously.

The second ED2 had it's funny moments like the animals yapping at Ash and Ash going nuts there for a little bit..and the third one was just pure comedy really and very little horror compared to the first Evil Dead and especially the new Evil Dead. Of course this is like anyone else on here, just my opinion. As a hardcore Horror fan I prefer there's little to no comedy in horror films, sadly it's one reason why a lot of people don't take the genre that seriously anymore. Just think, you're a horror fan right? What would you consider more horror.

Child's Play or Seed of Chucky? Evil Dead(2013) or Army Of Darkness? If you watch all 4 of those films you'll know exactly what I'm speaking of. ED 2 was more or less a parody, but it among AOD were also sequels....therefore actual movies. It's not the same as say Exorcist 1, 2 and 3 then later on the Parody Exorcist:Repossessed.

ED2 was a reboot that brought the series from horror to parody. Keeping the title as Evil Dead 2, and it being the same basic movie as Evil Dead, is to add to its absurdity. Sam Raimi didn't feel that Evil Dead worked as a straight horror film...not then anyway.

Im not saying that horror films shouldnt be taken seriously by their directors and writing staff, as I am fan of cinema in its entirety, and feel that all genres should be taken seriously. Unfortunately, as you pointed out, Horror is regarded as a second rate genre and not given much credit as well made films (mainly because the majority dont break from similar plot lines, but there have been many great movies that were horror films). I agree with everything you have said, but it was always obvious that when Evil Dead 2 emerged, it was only ever intended to be a parody and meant to change the direction of the series.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By joshmightbe

Hating on Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness for being comedy proves you completely missed the point of both of them. They are clearly meant to be funny. You can't disparage a movie for being exactly what it was meant to be. Complaining that these movies are comedies is pretty much the same as complaining that someone who offered you a taco actually gave you a taco instead of a burrito.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hating on Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness for being comedy proves you completely missed the point of both of them. They are clearly meant to be funny. You can't disparage a movie for being exactly what it was meant to be. Complaining that these movies are comedies is pretty much the same as complaining that someone who offered you a taco actually gave you a taco instead of a burrito.

Exactly

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I love the original series and I don't think I'd actually like the new one. Because whereas Evil Dead was somewhat ground breaking for it's time the new one seems like it is just gore for the sake of gore. I don't like gore fest. Don't get me wrong I have no problem with gore in film which is actually why I can't enjoy gore for the sake gore films, gore doesn't bother me in the slightest, so when you have stuff like saw or hostel which are just trying to gross people out with immense amounts of gore an have very little plot I get nothing from the film. I'm not easily grossed out at all. Which is helpful in some situations really. Like when I tore my toe open in the woods running after my dog barefoot I was in the kitchen and had to wait about an hour and a half for someone to get home, I cleaned out some dirt and a small leaf with twig, wrapped it up after I had cleaned it out as best I could, anyway almost the entire kitchen floor was covered in blood, when I stood on that foot to go get the bandages a little bit of blood squirted out of it about a foot long tiny spray out across the floor. And I had no problem with it. Which is why gory horror movies are good for you. They prepare you for bloody situations that may occur in life, that is why I recommend to all you parents out there to start your kids out on first bloody books then move them up to the likes of day of the dead and re-animator. Soon your kid will be able to help you cauterize a wound or tie an artery off in desperate times where modern medical practices are unavailable. Of course they are not medically trained so they will most likely f##k it up and you'll die anyway, but they will be able to deal with the blood.... though not necessarily prepared to deal with becoming orphaned with the severe psychological baggage that would likely come from their parents dying bloody horrific deaths and screaming in pain while they bled all over their children that failed to save them.... but hey that's what Oliver Twist is for!

InnerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the movie sucked plain and simple

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 the_stegman  Moderator

The movie...was very underwhelming, and the creepiest scene in the trailer wasn't even in the movie...

"We're gonna get you"

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vaeternus said:

@vaeternus said:

@vaeternus said:

@vaeternus said:

Yeah I suppose so.

Well yeah not always though.I mean that is why I love Evil Dead 2 and AOD because it really doesn't take itself too seriously.Yet there are some genuine horror moments in there (Evil Dead 2 anyway) but it manages to be funny as well which I really appreciate.It is a pretty unique movie as well.

Of course I love full on horror like Halloween Friday the 13th etc.But I really like the original Evil Dead films too.

I think horror today needs to find its own feet and create some new things that can actually feel like horror.I know there are still good horror out there but the only real mainstream horror seems to rely on gore alone.I still need to see this film to make my own judgments on it.

Yeah, what I'm saying is as long as it's appropriate I'm fine with it. ED though the concept as even Sam Raimi and Bruce admit was initially supposed to be "serious" not comedic, they turned it into a comedy-horror(2 and 3) because it was entertaining and AOD has a special place in people's (evil dead fans) hearts EV2 I agree does have some genuine serious moments, but the third was pure comedy compared to the first 2 and especially the new one that just came out.

I also like the oldschool films too, the retroness despite how cheesy it may be at times is just epic in it's own way.

Yeah, I mean I just feel that if horror films had better plots, more thought out and less comedy involved that would help(preferably good acting too and not some bunch of bimbos running around half naked acting stupid) There are some horror films out there that have been known for lots of gore but usually have a decent story too like Texas Chainsaw, Saw, first Hostel etc and then you have the pointless "gore" and bad story.

@joshmightbe

I think you're misunderstanding my point. I'm not "hating on ED 2 or 3" just saying, they're not true horror films when you break it down compared to actual legendary horror films such as Halloween, Child's Play, Exorcist etc. Think of it like this to make it simple, compare Child's Play with Seed Of Chucky then tell me honestly WHICH one is more "horror" genre? Same point with the ED comparisons. Watch those, find me something funny and compare it to the original ED films and then watch the new one then you'll see what I'm saying, obviously the original ED sequels ED2 and AOD weren't meant to take themselves seriously(nobody is disuputing that)...one was a parody of the first one and the other was a pure horror-comedy that didn't take itself seriously at all. I know it was meant to be silly, and that's just my point but even at this latest comiccon Bruce and Sam admitted originally they wanted a "serious, better looking ED" and that's what they did with this movie but since they knew they couldn't really take it in that direction for it's time, they went in the more "comedic" direction. Which again, is good in it's own right and I enjoyed them but just saying, compared to the new one....the new one does justice to the horror genre hence the name horror film.

@nerdork said:

@vaeternus said:

@ nerdock

ED2 was a reboot that brought the series from horror to parody. Keeping the title as Evil Dead 2, and it being the same basic movie as Evil Dead, is to add to its absurdity. Sam Raimi didn't feel that Evil Dead worked as a straight horror film...not then anyway.

Im not saying that horror films shouldnt be taken seriously by their directors and writing staff, as I am fan of cinema in its entirety, and feel that all genres should be taken seriously. Unfortunately, as you pointed out, Horror is regarded as a second rate genre and not given much credit as well made films (mainly because the majority dont break from similar plot lines, but there have been many great movies that were horror films). I agree with everything you have said, but it was always obvious that when Evil Dead 2 emerged, it was only ever intended to be a parody and meant to change the direction of the series.

Yes, I agree, just pointing out that it was also a sequel within the story as it continues with the character Ash within the plot. But you're right about Sam Raimi's views on "at the time" between lack of really known actors(outside of Bruce), good budget for the movie and special effects appropriate for it he turned it into more horror comedy(especialy with the 3rd film) but recently as I just mentioned above, in interviews Sam and Bruce both told fans "this new evil dead is to be very serious, gory, dark and have no comedy" which honestly IMO at least a horror film should offer. I'm not saying there's no room for "a comic relief" here and there or even a goofy character, but just saying a movie like this considering the plot I don't want to see something ridiculous like dancing zombies or skeletons or talking animals, know what I'm saying? lol

I totally see your point concerning why sadly the genre isn't taken seriously, recycled ideas, bad acting, whatever. I just want to add to that, that if the horror genre really wants to get back into the view of serious movie viewers they need to not just improve on the above but keep the comedic gig to a minimum. People in general or horror fans, especially classic horror fans want to see a horror film not a comedy or parody even. That's why we have movies like Scary Movie 5 lol.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vaeternus:

Yeah, what I'm saying is as long as it's appropriate I'm fine with it. ED though the concept as even Sam Raimi and Bruce admit was initially supposed to be "serious" not comedic, they turned it into a comedy-horror(2 and 3) because it was entertaining and AOD has a special place in people's (evil dead fans) hearts EV2 I agree does have some genuine serious moments, but the third was pure comedy compared to the first 2 and especially the new one that just came out.

I also like the oldschool films too, the retroness despite how cheesy it may be at times is just epic in it's own way.

Yeah, I mean I just feel that if horror films had better plots, more thought out and less comedy involved that would help(preferably good acting too and not some bunch of bimbos running around half naked acting stupid) There are some horror films out there that have been known for lots of gore but usually have a decent story too like Texas Chainsaw, Saw, first Hostel etc and then you have the pointless "gore" and bad story.

Yeah but the third still has a few horror moments and alot of the themes are present from ED2.It isn't as serious and is more comedic than ED2 since Evil Dead really seems to be both a horror and a comedy and both elements are very prominent.Whilst in AOD they aren't,they are still there just not as much as Evil Dead 2.Id argue that Evil Dead has as much right to be called a horror just like any other in the genre.Just because it has comedy in there as well does not take away from it being a horror.It has a fair amount of gore and a feel of eeriness and creepiness to it.And it has actually become something greater I think in part to the way it is.I mean its one of the most well known cult films out there.

Most horror films from the late 70s through to the late 80s or so are the best in my opinion.

Really most modern horror films don't have comedy in them not the ones I have seen anyway.In fact I feel they sometimes come off as too serious so they just seem melodramatic and therefore less scary,if that makes sense.They aren't really original either,they just seem to re hash alot of the old slasher films or we are in the shock horror genre at the moment and I don't like that much.To me though ghost horror really doesn't frighten me I watched the original Exorcist and to me that film is just not scary.So what they actually did with Evil Dead 2 and AOD works better to someone like myself who really isn't a huge fan of ghost horror because to me it isn't scary because its not real,I simply don't believe in ghosts.So they work better as being more fun. And I suppose work to parody ghost horror.

So I may have a problem with the new more serious Evil Dead.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vaeternus:

Yeah but the third still has a few horror moments and alot of the themes are present from ED2.It isn't as serious and is more comedic than ED2 since Evil Dead really seems to be both a horror and a comedy and both elements are very prominent.Whilst in AOD they aren't,they are still there just not as much as Evil Dead 2.Id argue that Evil Dead has as much right to be called a horror just like any other in the genre.Just because it has comedy in there as well does not take away from it being a horror.It has a fair amount of gore and a feel of eeriness and creepiness to it.And it has actually become something greater I think in part to the way it is.I mean its one of the most well known cult films out there.

Most horror films from the late 70s through to the late 80s or so are the best in my opinion.

Really most modern horror films don't have comedy in them not the ones I have seen anyway.In fact I feel they sometimes come off as too serious so they just seem melodramatic and therefore less scary,if that makes sense.They aren't really original either,they just seem to re hash alot of the old slasher films or we are in the shock horror genre at the moment and I don't like that much.To me though ghost horror really doesn't frighten me I watched the original Exorcist and to me that film is just not scary.So what they actually did with Evil Dead 2 and AOD works better to someone like myself who really isn't a huge fan of ghost horror because to me it isn't scary because its not real,I simply don't believe in ghosts.So they work better as being more fun. And I suppose work to parody ghost horror.

I thought AOD went in with the "horror comedy" ideal honestly, where as the second one had serious storyline elements but some goofy moments as oppose to the first one but overall in the ED series in general, Army of Darkness by far was the most comedic. I do consider Evil Dead one(original) and Evil Dead (2013) horror films, while the others are considered due to "appropriate genre" there is nothing scary about them or creepy like the original and new one. More so what I'm saying. Exorcist was very scary to most people, sure some weren't effected by it but if I had to choose, far more then ED. ED I think if it started off like the new one did, different story but I think one of the reasons it wasn't taken as serious was due to the "cheesyness" in one part, you see blood or red water literally squirting from a hose tied to the actors neck...I mean you can't get any worse then that. Exorcist granted, while had a better budget I'm sure was older yet still looked better. Exorcist also wasn't a ghost story, but more shock horror and it was actually the first bigtime horror film about demonic possession. Ghost horror is more like paranormal activity, Poltergeist etc

But as far as "scary" that's relative, some things may scare certain people that another wouldn't be effected by and vice versa. What may scare one person, may not someone else.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vaeternus:

I thought AOD went in with the "horror comedy" ideal honestly, where as the second one had serious storyline elements but some goofy moments as oppose to the first one but overall in the ED series in general, Army of Darkness by far was the most comedic. I do consider Evil Dead one(original) and Evil Dead (2013) horror films, while the others are considered due to "appropriate genre" there is nothing scary about them or creepy like the original and new one. More so what I'm saying. Exorcist was very scary to most people, sure some weren't effected by it but if I had to choose, far more then ED. ED I think if it started off like the new one did, different story but I think one of the reasons it wasn't taken as serious was due to the "cheesyness" in one part, you see blood or red water literally squirting from a hose tied to the actors neck...I mean you can't get any worse then that. Exorcist granted, while had a better budget I'm sure was older yet still looked better. Exorcist also wasn't a ghost story, but more shock horror and it was actually the first bigtime horror film about demonic possession. Ghost horror is more like paranormal activity, Poltergeist etc

But as far as "scary" that's relative, some things may scare certain people that another wouldn't be effected by and vice versa. What may scare one person, may not someone else.

Yeah it did.And it certainly was the most comedic out of them.Well Id disagree with you there regarding Evil Dead 2s genre.I pretty much explained why above.I mean it is largely horror with comedy thrown in.It has alot of horror elements.So it is comedy and horror.I mean if we started to class a horror film off of how much it may I don't "scare" you.Then to me the Exorcist would not be a horror.So the point is,is that ED2 is still horror mixed with comedy yes but still.

Well to me Exorcist was nothing scary.Possession is what I meant really.Not ghost though it is in the supernatural horror variety.

And as you say it is subjective on what is scary and what isn't.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By joshmightbe

@vaeternus: ED2 and AOD aren't meant to be true horror films they are meant to be exactly what they are

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vaeternus said:

@vaeternus:

Yeah it did.And it certainly was the most comedic out of them.Well Id disagree with you there regarding Evil Dead 2s genre.I pretty much explained why above.I mean it is largely horror with comedy thrown in.It has alot of horror elements.So it is comedy and horror.I mean if we started to class a horror film off of how much it may I don't "scare" you.Then to me the Exorcist would not be a horror.So the point is,is that ED2 is still horror mixed with comedy yes but still.

Well to me Exorcist was nothing scary.Possession is what I meant really.Not ghost though it is in the supernatural horror variety.

And as you say it is subjective on what is scary and what isn't.

I guess it's all how one sees the film, my friend who I hung with yesterday(his GF is a huge horror fan but he hates them lol) she told me she was expecting some "comic relief or something like the first one" lol but I told her, that wasn't Sam's plan if you read into it prior to the movie coming out, that this was going to be uber serious with little to no comedy. Outside of that she enjoyed it.

I suppose the rest is all preferences, some fans don't mind the comedy in their horror films, others don't want it in at all. Some like a good mix I guess, for me it depends soley on the franchise. IMO, Evil Dead, Child's Play, Halloween, Freddy, Texas Chainsaw movies like this should not have comedy in it. But to be fair, I also grew up watching the classics of the 70s, 80's and 90's when horror movies were at their peak compared to now so I guess I expect them to be more like that. *shrugs* Yeah, supernatural totally agree that covers possession, ghosts, weird stuff etc as oppose to the straight up "slasher" movie.

Totally, lol I mean my friend is afraid of Chucky(most people I know see him as a joke or not scared of him at all) but he's got this thing with inanimate objects coming to life. I personally, went from being afraid of him when I was little to becoming obsessed with Chucky lol.

@vaeternus: ED2 and AOD aren't meant to be true horror films they are meant to be exactly what they are

Exactly my point, they were only in there due to the "genre" category.

Evil Dead-horror

ED2, AOD-horror comedy

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By joshmightbe

@vaeternus: So your complaint about ED2 and AOD is that they are exactly what they claim to be? Are also upset when your hamburger turns out to be made of beef?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#31  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

I know I'm part of the minority on this one, but I wasn't a fan. I didn't think it was scary at all (one jump scare kinda got me, but that's it). I don't find over the top gore to be fun or frightening and I found myself frustrated far more often than having fun.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Vaeternus

@joshmightbe said:

@vaeternus: So your complaint about ED2 and AOD is that they are exactly what they claim to be? Are also upset when your hamburger turns out to be made of beef?

How did you come to that conclusion? I'm not "upset" with them, more so disappointed...I just feel they're not true horror movies....being not serious. Horror movies are supposed to be dead serious, scary, creepy, dark, twisted, morbid to some degree....hence the name "horror". There are a lot of movies out there only listed in the "horror genre" because there is no other place for them, but should be comedies if anything....not horror.

That's why I used the point earlier.

Watch Child's Play and Evil Dead

Then watch Seed Of Chucky & AOD

And honestly tell me all 4 of those movies are "horror" films...your hamburger analogy is a tad off. You see, a hamburger is straight on a hamburger and obviously there's beef in it why it's called a "ham"burger. Now if you would have said "Would you be disappointed if they put veggie burgers along the same category as hamburgers" then I'd say yeah considering they're also different just as comedy is with horror, just as inaccurate as AOD and Evil Dead being considered "equal horror movies" when the reality is they're not. That's why I said, they're only in there due to the genre, obviously they're not going to be put in sci-fi or drama...

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By joshmightbe

@vaeternus: You must be a little upset, telling people to watch Seed of Chucky. That movie may qualify as a war crime.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Josh,

Not upset, but if you insist on thinking that so be it. There's a vast difference between upset and merely disappointed...I do find it funny that you don't seem to understand the difference between upset and disappointed though.

Yeah, the difference is Seed is considered a joke by today's standards where as back then AOD was acceptable. If that was made today, outside of the oldschool AOD fans everyone else would mock it I assure you.

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This movie was great! I'm already foaming at the mouth for the sequel!

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vaeternus: What I'm saying is that Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness never were considered Horror movies, it was clearly intended from the outset that they were comedy. Your whole complaint revolves around the notion that they are failed horror movies and if they were actually trying to be horror movies you would be right but since they were meant to be comedy your argument falls flat. They aren't serious because they aren't supposed to be serious.

As for Seed of Chucky that would have been considered s**t in the 90s, let alone now. The story was garbage, the dialogue was terrible, the jokes sucked and the FX were around the standard of a mid budget movie from the late 80s.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vaeternus: Fair enough I guess. I mean to me ED 2 and AOD work well as comedy as well.And other horror films like Friday the 13th Halloween etc work better as straight up horror.Because they have always been like that and that is how most of the films played out.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mr.deception, yep exactly at least you understand what i'm saying unlike josh, that aod isn't a true horror film and more so a comedy. I mean there are appropriate movie categories for a reason...

@josh, My argument doesnt fall flat on it's face, you're just totally what i'm saying out context....for one, you think i'm some how "upset" when i'm hardly upset, i'm disappointed with something that it simply labled in the wrong genre. Secondly, of course soc would be trash then and now, my point is so would a movie like aod...you think people would take goofy demons and dancing skeletons seriously? haa...like I said, outside of the classic aod fans, the movie would flop. I mean hell, a lot of people think this new ed sucked yet it wasn't a bad film overall. At least it tries at being serious and not a joke. And again, ED2 and AOD are considered horror comedies, while it should be just pure comedy, the reasoning for it is the series started as a horror film thus why it remained in that category, you obviously never heard of what a horror comedy is....though if it were up to me, i'd put it in it's own category.

novi_homines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By novi_homines

One of the worst "horror" movies i've ever seen. It seemed like their main objective was to gross you out to death and scare you that way. I wasn't scared ONCE in this entire movie, just disgusted. Which began to piss me off at a certain point because I realized that this was what they were going for, be as disgusting as possible. All it was was blood, gore, and just plain unnecessary disgusting scenes. I'm sorry, but I have no respect for horror approached with this mentality. And the plot was extremely unbelievable.

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Guardiandevil83

<p>I dont know most of the Elm Street films were funny. Pet Semetary cracked me up when I got older. Mostly just the Dad versus the re-animated corpse of his dead todler. Some parts of The Shining. American Werewolf in London. And tell me you didnt laugh when Jason punched off that boxers head in Jason Takes Manhattan.</p>

Avatar image for texasdeathmatch
texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved it. Haven't been shaken up by a horror movie like that since the Ring. And I was way younger then.

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I might watch it.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Vaeternus

One of the worst "horror" movies i've ever seen. It seemed like their main objective was to gross you out to death and scare you that way. I wasn't scared ONCE in this entire movie, just disgusted. Which began to piss me off at a certain point because I realized that this was what they were going for, be as disgusting as possible. All it was was blood, gore, and just plain unnecessary disgusting scenes. I'm sorry, but I have no respect for horror approached with this mentality. And the plot was extremely unbelievable.

Well, it was going to be gory no doubt and I expect that from the ED series if you've seen the others but the scary parts or creepy parts were the demonically possessed parts, which freak a lot of people out. Like my friend who's my age, late 20's and will not see the movie again...lol his GF on the other hand liked it. Guess it all depends on preferences and what freaks you out.

Loved it. Haven't been shaken up by a horror movie like that since the Ring. And I was way younger then.

It had it's freaky moments didn't you think?lol I still say the blond chick was the creepiest imo

<p>I dont know most of the Elm Street films were funny. Pet Semetary cracked me up when I got older. Mostly just the Dad versus the re-animated corpse of his dead todler. Some parts of The Shining. American Werewolf in London. And tell me you didnt laugh when Jason punched off that boxers head in Jason Takes Manhattan.</p>

The older Elm Streets did have some funny moments, but not total comedy. The new elm street was dead serious compared to some of the older ones no doubt. Pet Sem I don't remember much of, remember it being weird though. Jason going all Johnny Cage on that guy was a little funny. Some people I've noticed like my friend lol will find serious parts funny while my other friend will look at him like "dude wtf, how's that funny"? lol

texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vaeternus:Man, when they find her in the kitchen and she's like, "I feel better..." hahaha I couldn't help but laugh because of how gross it was.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vaeternus:Man, when they find her in the kitchen and she's like, "I feel better..." hahaha I couldn't help but laugh because of how gross it was.

Yeah that part made a lot of people in the movie cringe, but I thought the part after that was freaky when she was possessed and you hear her neck cracking with nails in her face lol. That part I didn't expect lol.

texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vaeternus: Ugh yeah, and then with the nail gun....Phew!

FalconPuuunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#47  Edited By FalconPuuunch

@nerdork said:

You say comedy has no place in a horror film, and i agree; but that isnt what Sam Raimi was going for in Evil Dead II or Army of Darkness, those were meant to be parodies of the horror genre more than anything else. Evil Dead (1981), which the 2013 remake is clearly sourced from, has absolutely no comedy. If you found something funny, its due to the low budget for Special Effects, and the fact that its one of Sam and Ivan Raimi's first screenplays. Your reprehension for Evil Dead's sequels is warranted...everyone is entitled to their opinion; but, if you wanted a true horror film, why would you watch an obvious parody, and be upset about its implemented comedy?

Exactly. Thank you.

I just watched this film and I really did enjoy it, but it has nothing on the original in my opinion.

The first film had a certain realistic tone to it. This one was very over sensationalized. The special effects were nice to some degree, but I feel like a lot of it dumbed down the feel of the film. There was a certain charm the original had that this one didn't. There was something truly terrifying about an invisible force roaming the woods and possessing the characters from a first person perspective as opposed to some demon posing as a girl. I think in these types of movies the less you more the better. I also hated how they dragged everything out. In the original, when the sh*t hit the fan, it hit it hard and it didn't stop hitting it until the end of the film. And finally we have that ending. I was half-expecting Mia to still be possessed and attack David cutting the film to an abrupt end while David screamed in horror paying tribute to the original film even more. It was already hard to believe that Mia was brought back to life successfully, but replacing the lead hero last minute like that was disappointing. I really liked the "Ash" replica (I think his name was David?) and I wish they used him completely instead of switching last minute to Mia.

But with that said there were far more things I liked about the film as opposed to what I disliked. It could have been WAAAY worse and i'm just happy that a lot of the key dynamics were kept.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#48  Edited By InnerVenom123

You actually expected a believable plot in an Evil Dead movie.

That's adorable.

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@novi_homines said:

You actually expected a believable plot in an Evil Dead movie.

That's adorable.

Yeah, I would never go into a movie reboot, where the original starred Bruce Campbell, and expect it to be anything but over-the-top. IMO, that is part of BC’s charm.

@falconpuuunch: I agree, it was a good remake. But, as you said, it has nothing on the original. The very obviously fake blood and sinew, the poorly made props, the bad sound editing, the rediculous costumes, the cheesy dialogue; are all things that cannot be remade on purpose. Sam and Ivan Raimi tried to make an epic horror film, on a very low budget and early writing experience, and got Evil Dead, which is why it is so amazing. You can tell how much effort they put into that movie; they gave it their all If they tried to make The Evil Dead as terribly-awesome as the originial, it would have come just off as a poorly made film.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vaeternus: Well I suppose,I disagree with the notion that comedy and horror cannot go together.I think it is just plain daft to say that.I mean that is like saying Sci Fi,action,thriller fantasy etc cannot go with it.I mean a horror film doesn't have to be scary to be a horror.Evil Dead 2 isn't really scary but it has those things in it that make it a horror,things that have become synonymous with the genre.So to say that something isn't a horror just because it may not be scary just seems silly to me,or that it cant have comedy in it also seems silly.ED2 is a horror in the film itself with all the features like the gore,possession,demons,set in the middle of nowhere etc,but it has a comedic approach.And there are parts in there that did creep me out and even with all the comedy it still somehow felt eerie like a good horror does.

(Just had to get that off my chest)