The election thread

• 71 results
johnfrank120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

When a major election comes around the corner give all your opinions on this thread.

Example:

User X: Party A knows my concerns on immigration, but his economic policy seems a bit dangerous.

User Y: I believe that Party B's economic policy is sound, but Party C is also ok.

johnfrank120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the general election I'm thinking that the Tories are the best choice.

Labour, SNP, Sinn Fein and the Greens have a bad economic policy grounded in borrowing.

UKIP is too far right for me, only reason to vote for them is to spite @bumpyboo.

The Liberal Democrats might be the 'balanced' power, but I think voting Conservative is a better choice, a coalition with Labour wouldn't be too good either.

Kalel121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's more to an eligible government than strong economic policies. The Tories are hiding behind their economic achievements as a smokescreen for their preferential treatment of the upper classes, their poor handling of the NHS and the fact they didn't even mention a climate change policy in their manifesto for this year's election. They're counting on people's potential fear of economic distress if the Tories aren't in power.

Having said that, Labour still have a messy proposal with a bad track record and need to change many people's minds before the election next week. In any case, I foresee yet another coalition despite both Labour and the Conservatives not wanting to share power. Clegg and the Lib Dems will probably be the deciding factor yet again for the British election.

ChocolateMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The main two parties are a mess. It's very hard to trust Labour and Ed is not a good leader. The Conservative party may be ''less worse'' in a sense but it's clear that they love to boast their supposed economic success.

johnfrank120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kalel121 said:

There's more to an eligible government than strong economic policies. The Tories are hiding behind their economic achievements as a smokescreen for their preferential treatment of the upper classes, their poor handling of the NHS and the fact they didn't even mention a climate change policy in their manifesto for this year's election. They're counting on people's potential fear of economic distress if the Tories aren't in power.

Having said that, Labour still have a messy proposal with a bad track record and need to change many people's minds before the election next week. In any case, I foresee yet another coalition despite both Labour and the Conservatives not wanting to share power. Clegg and the Lib Dems will probably be the deciding factor yet again for the British election.

I know economic policies are not the only thing that matters, but in all these parties a lot of the policies are extremely similar. Labour NHS policy seems to be throw money at it, and that isn't going to solve everything. I think that both these parties are very center, the Tories might of truly favoured those upper classes years ago but now, while still present, I believe that the treatment is now very diminished. Both main parties don't exactly have a good climate change policy.

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Gotta say, if I could vote, I might actually go with the Greens. I wouldn't want them getting the majority, they don't seem to really know what they're doing when it comes to economy, but they do seem like the most moral of the major parties and it would be nice to see a little bit of their influence. Like I say though, I don't want them in charge.

johnfrank120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One up

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#8 BumpyBoo  Moderator

I don't entirely trust Labour. I don't think Plaid are a good use of my vote, since I find them unrealistic as a serious political contender, even though I agree with a lot of their views (some of which do not appear to be based entirely in reality to be honest). Lib Dems I have always found kind of...boring? Never had a strong view one way or the other.

F*** the Tories though.

johnfrank120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bumpyboo said:

F*** the Tories though.

But why? I get the things about the past, but all the parties have changed massively.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BumpyBoo  Moderator

@bumpyboo said:

F*** the Tories though.

But why? I get the things about the past, but all the parties have changed massively.

Has nothing to do with the past. Tory welfare reform is yet another example of them taking from the poorest in our country. The bedroom tax, the ridiculous increase in zero hours contracts, the unemployment reform (which for anyone who hasn't encountered it, trust me, you've never felt more like a worthless piece of human trash until you've signed on under the Tories), their changes to disability benefit have left people I know seriously struggling and in some cases homeless. Their attitude to my own mother in particular - accusing her of lying when she has serious psychological problems and leaving her broke for months on end while they send all manner of hostile strangers to the house, whose interrogations cause her to retreat even further away from us mentally and to relapse significantly, undoing years of psychiatric treatment....yeah. Yeah f*** them, because all they've said to me and mine since they got in power is "f*** you".

They treat the poor and the ill as the enemy. They are disgusting bullies who are less interested in genuinely helping people to better themselves and more interested in creating a biased cultural narrative which soothes the egos and lines the pockets of the well to do.

johnfrank120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By johnfrank120

@bumpyboo: Sorry about what has happened to your mother.

Unfortunately even with what has happened, I still believe that the Tories are the best for the country as a whole. A lot of zero hour contracts are worked by students, a vast number of my friends are on them so they can get work experience, earn some money, but also so they can balance education, especially since it is ever harder to get jobs, especially since the labour's spell in charge, due to their promotion of less useful university subjects and less apprenticeships. Some focus on adult apprenticeships has helped many rise from unemployment, however I don't know much about the rest, I have been lucky enough to not have any friends or family struck by disability or similar cases. The other parties have policies that can put even more people into unemployment and worse. On the whole, the Labour and Conservative policies seem to be very similar, but some of the policies on the Labour ones are simply too unclear, like the budget balancing one, and banning 'exploitative' Zero hour contracts. The Liberal Democrats are too spineless, and the Greens live somewhere on the moon as their policies are pretty crazy and not backed up.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BumpyBoo  Moderator

@johnfrank120: Thanks. And sure, it does work for some people. I don't have anything against anyone who doesn't see it the way I do, or who is better off since they got into power. You vote for the people who improve your life, that's only natural :)

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Green is the only sensible choice.

johnfrank120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BumpyBoo  Moderator

@johnfrank120: I'm old school, man, I don't reveal :P Went a couple of hours ago though.

johnfrank120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BumpyBoo  Moderator
johnfrank120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bumpyboo: Did you base your vote more on the candidate or the party?

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BumpyBoo  Moderator

@johnfrank120: Party. Our local representative is someone I dislike, and have for a long while. But can begrudgingly admit they're not actually too bad a politician, and was focused more on the overall end result than the specific person on the ballot.

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@johnfrank120: Is this only for UK politics? I'm not British but I watch (and most often have a good laugh at) Nigel Farage insult Romanians or the hilarious House of Commons banters.

johnfrank120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bumpyboo: Same here.

@mandarinestro:Nope, but I don't know about any elections currently that a lot of people on CV would know a lot about.

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnfrank120: Well, there have been threads declaring support for Hillary Clinton or Rand Paul for the next US election.

johnfrank120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

SNP son

johnfrank120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for consolemaster001
consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

johnfrank120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Conservatives may win majority, thoughts?

OverLordArthas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mandarinestro: I couldn't care less. I'm not voting for a party whose manifesto consists entirely of "make the poor poorer and the rich richer".

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#35  Edited By frozen  Moderator

I looked at the election more of the line of ''who is the least worst?'' rather than ''who is the best?'' --- the Conservatives were the least worst. Perhaps Labour can find a suitable leader next time though..

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for the_umbra_sorcerer
The Umbra Sorcerer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't vote absolutely no point in where I live plus I don't actually care at all!

johnfrank120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tories win majority!

@consolemaster001Nigel is out.

@frozen said:
@johnfrank120 said:

I looked at the election more of the line of ''who is the least worst?'' rather than ''who is the best?'' --- the Conservatives were the least worst. Perhaps Labour can find a suitable leader next time though..

I agree.

Don't vote absolutely no point in where I live plus I don't actually care at all!

Are you good with the outcome though?

consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@johnfrank120: There's so much salt on my Facebook feed. People literally believe anyone who voted Tory or wanted them to win is Satan reincarnate.

johnfrank120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By consolemaster001

@johnfrank120: UKIP got more votes than SNP but SNP got more seats.

Wat ? http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/ampp3d/the-chart-that-shows-how-5658134

consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

johnfrank120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: According to a ton of left wingers, all the people who voted tory, over 11 million, are massively rich, racists, democracy hating, selfish, love privatisation and are old and white.

@consolemaster001:The SNP won barely 50% of the vote, but a lot of it was in less populated areas, and the ones in the big cities were pretty close. It is pretty rubbish, but I doubt it is changing.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@johnfrank120 said:

@frozen: According to a ton of left wingers, all the people who voted tory, over 11 million, are massively rich, racists, democracy hating, selfish, love privatisation and are old and white.

@consolemaster001:The SNP won barely 50% of the vote, but a lot of it was in less populated areas, and the ones in the big cities were pretty close. It is pretty rubbish, but I doubt it is changing.

It's a typical way of distancing themselves from Tory voters on a more personal level. The thought of *gasp* non-white voters rooting for or voting Conservative terrifies them. In fact, more and more Asian groups (Indian/Chinese) are beginning to vote Conservative more often. That, and many working people were sick of Labour so decided to vote for another party.

It's that rhetoric of trying to character assassinate Conservative voters which led to this shock election; the shy-Tory vote.

consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By consolemaster001

johnfrank120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: I agree, I mean so many will just put their fingers in their ears and won't listen, of course many are reasonable but many are also fanatics.

Avatar image for the_umbra_sorcerer
The Umbra Sorcerer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnfrank120: No I'm not bothered I didn't care who would win I'm entirely apathetic to whole thing I honestly I don't care enough but my twitter and facebook have been covered with people hurling abuse at each other it's fine to debate and have differing opinions especially on something as divisive as politics but everyone is just getting hitting below the belt and getting low with their insult all day long it's just past the point of ridiculous now!

consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

johnfrank120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers