• 87 results
#1 Posted by RazzaTazz (9647 posts) - - Show Bio

One of the friendlier newer members as of late told me recently that he is moving out of home soon and for the first time will be solely responsible for his food choices. After telling him that I try to eat with a small footprint, he started asking me more about it. I suggested that we discuss with the community and maybe provide something in off topic to discuss which does not include an ideological battle. After my suggestion to make a thread, he then suggested that I be the one to make the thread, so here it is :)

My basic food philosophy is this - try to be responsible both to my own health and the health of others and the health of the planet. This means buying locally as much as possible, and generally this includes cutting out a lot of fast food type of items. I am not advocating cutting everything, I still occasionally go out for food which is not good for me or the planet, but as someone soon to be living on their own, I simply suggested that anyone living on their own should really think about learning a few easy recipes, to make food from scratch. I far prefer food made from scratch myself. For instance, last year for Thanksgiving I made a pumpkin pie where I started with a pumpkin and a bag of flour and all the other ingredients. Although it ended up taking a couple of hours to make, it was a very rewarding (and tasty) experience. The same can be done with any food really, and the more so when it is made at home.

So anyone feel free to share any food suggestions or even recipes if you like. I am not advocating a healthy food discussion either, even if you all want to discuss better burger recipes go ahead. On that subject though, for burgers, crush up some of your favourite crackers into the meat mix. It makes them more moist and less prone to dry out when frying them. Also hummus is a great topping for burgers.

#2 Posted by Nelomaxwell (10550 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz: I Iike your food ideas.

#3 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

I know I should eat healthy I really do, I know what I should eat to be healthier. But Taco Bell is so cheap and tasty and oh goodness I have no will power at all.

#4 Posted by akbogert (3224 posts) - - Show Bio

Hummus, I'm learning, is a great topping for many things. I wonder how hard that is to make?

My mother once made a pumpkin pie from scratch but (she says it's because "the kids distracted her") managed to forget to add sugar. This has affected my appreciation for all other homemade pumpkin pies I've had the pleasure of eating (and being able to swallow) ever since then.

Anyway, looking forward to what this thread might become!

#5 Posted by jhazzroucher (15875 posts) - - Show Bio

this is a nice thread. makes me hungry. ; )

#6 Posted by RazzaTazz (9647 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nelomaxwell: @jhazzroucher: Thanks.

@Decoy Elite: Tacos can be super fast at home, like under ten minutes and so much better, both in taste and in nutrition. Also made at home then you know what goes into them.

@akbogert: Hummus is extremely easy. Some tahini and a can of soaked chick peas. Then some garnish (roasted pine nuts are awesome). That is too bad about the pie.

#7 Posted by Nelomaxwell (10550 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz:I tried to make Hummus once didn't use tahini though, I was a vegan for a long time so everything i ate was chick pea. Maybe I'll try again.

#8 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz: I actually eat tacos at home as well and they are honestly better. I'm just too lazy and easily manipulated by fast food places.

#9 Posted by akbogert (3224 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz: I don't think I've ever even heard of tahini before. I'll make that my first project, then (though I live really close to Sabra, which almost makes buying their stuff eating locally...also, their Chipolte hummus is amazing). As for the pie, it makes for a good joke around the holidays, and on the positive side we had whipped cream to compensate, albeit as necessity rather than perk.

@Decoy Elite: I know the feel. It is extremely cheap. But I don't know about you; I always feel a deep sense of regret (in more ways than one) whenever I have eaten there. The whole thing feels a bit masochistic, even before you factor in the health/impact aspects :)

#10 Posted by RazzaTazz (9647 posts) - - Show Bio

Something to think about, there are only seven menu items at McDonalds that do not have added sugar. And two of those (coffee and tea) are items that people often add sugar to. By added sugar I mean not naturally occurring sugars. So for instance an apply has no added sugar. Just to illustrate this, all of the salads have added sugar, as do all of their sandwiches. Surprisingly one of the sugar free items are the chicken nuggets, though these are often dipped into sugar sauces (all of the sauces for the nuggets are extremely high in sugar)

#11 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert: Yeah and yet I always want to go. It's like they have mind control stuff in their food.

#12 Posted by RazzaTazz (9647 posts) - - Show Bio

@Nelomaxwell: It can be done with just chick peas, but then you would be better off to garnish it with some cumin or paprika.

@Decoy Elite: Thats reverse laziness though. Its like the people who walk out of their way and expend more calories to use the handicap door button so that they dont have to open the door.

@akbogert: Chipotle is good to mix in with stuff. I don't use it much as I have never added it to my usual choice of spices, but it can be quite good.

#13 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz: Eh you might be right. Maybe I'll start buying lots of taco supplies in case I feel like having some.

#14 Posted by RazzaTazz (9647 posts) - - Show Bio

Also in my experience cooking is 98% knowing how to use spices, 1% being able to read a recipe and 1% checking on the food to make sure it doesnt burn.

#15 Posted by Floopay (8721 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz said:

One of the friendlier newer members as of late told me recently that he is moving out of home soon and for the first time will be solely responsible for his food choices. After telling him that I try to eat with a small footprint, he started asking me more about it. I suggested that we discuss with the community and maybe provide something in off topic to discuss which does not include an ideological battle. After my suggestion to make a thread, he then suggested that I be the one to make the thread, so here it is :)

My basic food philosophy is this - try to be responsible both to my own health and the health of others and the health of the planet. This means buying locally as much as possible, and generally this includes cutting out a lot of fast food type of items. I am not advocating cutting everything, I still occasionally go out for food which is not good for me or the planet, but as someone soon to be living on their own, I simply suggested that anyone living on their own should really think about learning a few easy recipes, to make food from scratch. I far prefer food made from scratch myself. For instance, last year for Thanksgiving I made a pumpkin pie where I started with a pumpkin and a bag of flour and all the other ingredients. Although it ended up taking a couple of hours to make, it was a very rewarding (and tasty) experience. The same can be done with any food really, and the more so when it is made at home.

So anyone feel free to share any food suggestions or even recipes if you like. I am not advocating a healthy food discussion either, even if you all want to discuss better burger recipes go ahead. On that subject though, for burgers, crush up some of your favourite crackers into the meat mix. It makes them more moist and less prone to dry out when frying them. Also hummus is a great topping for burgers.

I recommend keeping a small stock of ready-to-eat foods. I always have frozen, canned, and pre-packaged foods on hand. However, I rarely eat them. I realistically only eat ready-to-eat meals at beast once every other week, but I keep them on hand in case I am incredibly tired and just want to get some food in me before I lie down or something.

Fresh foods are a good suggestion. I recommend organic if you can afford it, it's much better for you, tastes better, and overall is a better quality of product. However, it's expensive, if you can't afford it don't sweat it, fresh local food is just as good, even if it's not organic.

Best place for good deals, amazing food, and overall a good trip is a farmer's market. I live in Minnesota, so I usually only go during the summer, fall, and spring. But there's lots of good, fresh, and more importantly cheap product that beats anything in a grocery store.

If you are looking to try new foods, and learning to be a better cook goes. I recommend simply buying foods you've never tried before, or that you've never cooked before. When you get home, google a recipe for it, and find something you can make with what you have, and then make it. It's a great way to try new foods, familiarize yourself with cooking styles, and really expand your culinary horizons.

If you need recipes, look them up online, buy a cookbook, or don't be afraid to just ask someone or text someone for a recipe. The only way to get better is to learn to do it, and if you don't know how find someone who does.

I've been cooking my own meals since I was 9 years old. I entered the restaurant industry when I was 15 years old, and I graduated Culinary School when I was 21 years old. I've cooked fine dining, I've been a Kitchen Manager, a Sous Chef, and I've done everything from Sushi, Tandoori, BBQ, Pizza, Soups, Salads, Desserts, etc. etc. and as I've said, the only way to get better with food is to try new things.

I've cracked coconuts with a knife (and yes, after seeing Tosh.0 I attempted to karate chop a coconut...), I've diced vegetables down to a 1/16th cube (barely bigger than a grain of kosher salt), I can get 12 tournees out of 1 potato, I can make a lemon picnic basket stuffed with cherry tomato roses, I've made cucumber sharks, butternut squash lily pads, watermelon whale baskets, and so much more. Trust me, it's all about practice, experience, and a positive attitude to try new things. I've burnt my fair share of dishes, overseasoned more sauces than I care to admit, descaled too many fish improperly, and overcooked too many steaks. Even the best chef makes horrible mistakes...we just learn to hide it better ;-)

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

#16 Posted by ChaosBlazer (3930 posts) - - Show Bio

lol I'm a teenager... I eat pretty unhealthily and barely work out yet I am super skinny and have no fat on my body at all. Well, no significant amounts of fat. My metabolism will definitely level off in a few years, and I guess I should be developing more healthy habits, but oh well. I wouldn't really mind being kinda fat later on in life, I don't think.

#17 Posted by RazzaTazz (9647 posts) - - Show Bio

@Floopay: Thanks for sharing that is pretty amazing.

#18 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

I'ma have to fast in order to start eating a lot more healthy foods.

#19 Posted by RazzaTazz (9647 posts) - - Show Bio

@ChaosBlazer said:

lol I'm a teenager... I eat pretty unhealthily and barely work out yet I am super skinny and have no fat on my body at all. Well, no significant amounts of fat. My metabolism will definitely level off in a few years, and I guess I should be developing more healthy habits, but oh well. I wouldn't really mind being kinda fat later on in life, I don't think.

This is an interesting point, and I guess at some point obesity will be brought up in this thread but it is important to note. A lot of people talk in recent years about the obesity epidemic, but obesity is in itself not a health problem (well ... this is not entirely true, just mostly). What obesity is is symptomatic of other health problems. That is to say that if you are obese then you are probably doing bad stuff to your body to make it so. The thing to remember here though is that not everyone that eats poorly gets obese, and so they don't see this obvious marker for their own health problems. Instead they can develop problems associated with the metabolic syndrome without even knowing it. So the perpetually skinny people are not dodging the health effects while still eating poorly. They just don't have as prominent of a physical indicator of the stuff they are doing to themselves internally.

#20 Posted by YoungJustice (6863 posts) - - Show Bio

My only problem with making healthy food is that there are no organic markets around here. And I don't have a car...or bus fair..

#21 Posted by ImmortalT1000 (3170 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm a Pizza fanatic and fast food, but as far as eating good goes, they say nothing is good for us anymore. The Food we eat, the water we drink, the air we breath...etc... nothings all that good.

#22 Posted by RazzaTazz (9647 posts) - - Show Bio

@ImmortalT1000: That is one of those things that people say when they want people to do nothing. A food revolution is possible.

#23 Posted by akbogert (3224 posts) - - Show Bio

@Floopay: Definitely taking notes here ^_^

Question: you said you've cooked Tandoori. I've always been under the impression that one needs a special kind of oven to pull off Tandoori (say, chicken). Is that true? Or is there a way to approximate with a conventional oven? Just in general I'd love to pick up some Indian recipes because that food tends to be quite expensive to buy at restaurants in my experience. Though I also understand Indian cooking tends to use rarer, more expensive spices. Anyhow I'd love advice on that cuisine in particular, from anyone who's done it.

#24 Posted by Mercy_ (92767 posts) - - Show Bio

@akbogert said:

Hummus, I'm learning, is a great topping for many things. I wonder how hard that is to make?

I've recently fallen in love with hummus.

I'm currently trying to slowly but surely switch over my eating habits (not labeling it as a diet so much as an eating habits change) and hummus has become one of my go-to's for a tasty snack.

#25 Posted by akbogert (3224 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_: The only risk, I've discovered, is how quickly it disappears. I complained about this a friend recently and he shrugged and said "What can I say? Hummus is the new Pringles."

#26 Edited by ImmortalT1000 (3170 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz said:

@ImmortalT1000: That is one of those things that people say when they want people to do nothing. A food revolution is possible.

Thats like saying if you don't smoke, you wont get cancer. Not true. I've had 2 people in my family die of cancer, they ate healthy meals and never took a puff a day in their lives and now they're dead. Thats why half the crap they blame on smoking and blame on fast food, I don't believe a word of it.

#27 Posted by God_Spawn (37950 posts) - - Show Bio

You make a healthy eating thread and don't immediately contact the Shaman of Sexy?

How droll of you people.

#28 Posted by RazzaTazz (9647 posts) - - Show Bio

@ImmortalT1000 said:

@RazzaTazz said:

Thats like saying if you don't smoke, you wont get cancer. Not true. I've had 2 people in my family die of cancer, they ate healthy meals and never took a puff a day in their lives and now they're dead. Thats why half the crap they blame on smoking and blame on fast food, I don't believe a word of it.

It is not like saying that at all. There are to be certain some people that cannot escape some diseases, but to act as a passive victim to environmental factors is ridiculous. It is a matter of risk analysis and removing as many bad things as possible.

#29 Posted by God_Spawn (37950 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyways. One of my quick go to meals is a homemade miniature pizza. You just kind of need some previous preparation on one part.

1. 100% whole wheat tortilla shell
  2. Spaghetti sauce.
  3. cooked chicken breast
  4. spinach
  5. mozzarella cheese (preferably fat free)
  6. choice of seasoning (I use garlic powder, basil and oregano).

Steps.

1. Pre-heat the oven for 350.
  2. You take the shell, put the sauce on.
  3. Place chunks of the chicken breast on the sauce covered shell.
  4. spinach leaves
  5. sprinkle the cheese
  6. seasoning
  7. Put in the oven: 1 shell would be like 8-10 minutes. 2 would be about 15.
#30 Posted by RazzaTazz (9647 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

You make a healthy eating thread and don't immediately contact the Shaman of Sexy?

How droll of you people.

Welcome Shaman, any input is welcome.

#31 Posted by Mercy_ (92767 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

Anyways. One of my quick go to meals is a homemade miniature pizza. You just kind of need some previous preparation on one part.

1. 100% whole wheat tortilla shell
  2. Spaghetti sauce.
  3. cooked chicken breast
  4. spinach
  5. mozzarella cheese (preferably fat free)
  6. choice of seasoning (I use garlic powder, basil and oregano).

Steps.

1. Pre-heat the oven for 350.
  2. You take the shell, put the sauce on.
  3. Place chunks of the chicken breast on the sauce covered shell.
  4. spinach leaves
  5. sprinkle the cheese
  6. seasoning
  7. Put in the oven: 1 shell would be like 8-10 minutes. 2 would be about 15.

Aaaaaand I need to try this now. Sounds delicious.

#32 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn: The second you said the word spinach I knew that you were thinking more healthy and less tasty. :P

#33 Posted by ImmortalT1000 (3170 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz said:

@ImmortalT1000 said:

@RazzaTazz said:

It is not like saying that at all. There are to be certain some people that cannot escape some diseases, but to act as a passive victim to environmental factors is ridiculous. It is a matter of risk analysis and removing as many bad things as possible.

Alot of people in this world are dyng of Cancer that its weird. It seems like more people are dying of Cancer than Aids. It has nothing to do with what our bodys are immune to, its the fact that we live in a dirty poluted world. My grandmother had high blood pressure all her life and she made it to 86 when she died. Yes she lived along time, but her high blood pressure caught up with her, even though she was on Medicine. Her blood pressure got so high, that it busted one of her arteries. They say it wasnt that she was to old to be operated on, it was the fact it was so bad they couldnt do anything.

My Dad died of Cancer and he went through Chemo treatment and it got rid of the cancer, but two years later it came back, and he went through Chemo again and it didnt get rid of the Cancer, so they removed his bladder where his cancer was and that made the situation worse, He was in the Hospital for over A Month, and he got real skinny and he only lived 5 months from his surgery. He wasnt the outgoing Dad he use to be, he would just lay on the couch like he was dying. And a week before he died he went back to the Hospital and they X-Ray'd his body and told him he had 3/12 months to live cause his Cancer spread through out his body and 6 days later he died........ That should tell you that Doctors are liars and Fauds and thats why I dont even bother with Doctors or what their advice is. My Dad was 6'3" and like 260 pounds and he went from 260 pounds down to 90 pounds after his surgery. He would of lived Longer if he didnt get operated on and listen to a damn thing those Doctors told him to do.

Eat right might sound right and drinking water might sound right, but at the end of the day, we're all gonna die, something will go wrong with all of us and our bodys will shut down.

#34 Posted by God_Spawn (37950 posts) - - Show Bio

And honestly, there is no excuse to skip breakfast. Get flash frozen veggies. They are quick to prepare and healthier than the actual non-frozen vegetables. Has something to do with the time they are picked and preserved at peak season while the others endure transport.

Heat up some eggs. There have been studies of people's cholesterol actually being lowered or not staying the same. Of course, if you eat a carton a day, you will get high cholesterol. Moderation is key. 100% whole wheat bread. Toast that sunab*tch up. Cook some of those veggies in the microwave and they will be done in less than 5 minutes. The whole process brings a nutritious breakfast and can be done in less than 10 minutes.

Another thing I do is cook oatmeal. The plain kind that comes in tubs so it doesn't have that sugar sh*t already with it. Cook it in water or milk, it takes me 1 minute to cook. I throw in a spoonful of peanut butter and a bit of cinnamon too. It's easily one of the quickest and healthiest breakfasts you can make and you will take more time getting the peanut butter jar from the cabinet than actually making the food. And it sticks with you too so you stay full longer being a complex carb.

#35 Posted by RazzaTazz (9647 posts) - - Show Bio

@ImmortalT1000 said:

Eat right might sound right and drinking water might sound right, but at the end of the day, we're all gonna die, something will go wrong with all of us and our bodies will shut down.

Right but we have control over this. The so-called obesity epidemic in North America is not caused by environmental factors, but rather by food choices, a lot of which aren't really even choices.

#36 Posted by ImmortalT1000 (3170 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz said:

@ImmortalT1000 said:

Eat right might sound right and drinking water might sound right, but at the end of the day, we're all gonna die, something will go wrong with all of us and our bodies will shut down.

Right but we have control over this. The so-called obesity epidemic in North America is not caused by environmental factors, but rather by food choices, a lot of which aren't really even choices.

Well I respect your opinion, but we'll just have to agree to disagree.

#37 Posted by RazzaTazz (9647 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn said:

Heat up some eggs. There have been studies of people's cholesterol actually being lowered or not staying the same. Of course, if you eat a carton a day, you will get high cholesterol. Moderation is key. 100% whole wheat bread. Toast that sunab*tch up. Cook some of those veggies in the microwave and they will be done in less than 5 minutes. The whole process brings a nutritious breakfast and can be done in less than 10 minutes.

This is a huge part of the problem that people have with nutrition. There are nutrition falsehoods which are perpetuated because they are societal norms. One is the four food groups, another is that all calories are the same, and another is that all cholesterol is bad. This is good advice, too many people base their knowledge of food off of faulty information, and eggs are good in moderation as you say (also they taste good).

#38 Posted by RazzaTazz (9647 posts) - - Show Bio

@ImmortalT1000 said:

@RazzaTazz said:

@ImmortalT1000 said:

Well I respect your opinion, but we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I don't think so, I am actually not saying anything which you are disagreeing with. I was talking about healthy food options and then you said that all food is the same because we die when we die and that we can't trust doctors. There is no continuity on your half of the discussion. I am sorry to hear that about your father though.

#39 Posted by ImmortalT1000 (3170 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz: Well I can understand where you're coming from though because I love drinking Mountaindew for example and sometimes my Kidneys feel real sore and thats telling me I need to slow down on the Soda's........ Which when I start drinking water that helps because one time my Kidneys hurt badley so I went out and baught a case of water and drank 7 bottles all day and the next day, I felt as good as new again.

#40 Posted by RazzaTazz (9647 posts) - - Show Bio

@ImmortalT1000: Generally speaking (allowing for some extravagances every now and then) you should never drink something that is neither milk or water as it is going to be bad for you.

#41 Posted by ImmortalT1000 (3170 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz said:

@ImmortalT1000: Generally speaking (allowing for some extravagances every now and then) you should never drink something that is neither milk or water as it is going to be bad for you.

How?

They say Water is the best thing for you. It flushes out all the bad toxens in your system, thats why you have to use the bathroom alot when you drink it. It flushes out the bad toxins in your system.

#42 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

I...I don't think I should be looking at this thread. It makes me so depressed about how unhealthy I am. ;.;

#43 Posted by RazzaTazz (9647 posts) - - Show Bio

@ImmortalT1000: Drink only water or milk. Everything else is far too high in sugar (including juice)

#44 Posted by akbogert (3224 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz: This is definitely true. There is no situation in which drinking soda (especially a non-diet soda, though even then...) is good for you. Granted, there's no situation in which eating a slice of cheesecake or a tray of poutine is good for you, but on occasion we splurge. But as a habit, and particularly when consumed as a drink to go along with meals or snacks (rather than as the snack) soda is just plain awful. I cut it out of my diet -- that was the only change I made, for a time -- and I lost 6 pounds.

#45 Posted by ImmortalT1000 (3170 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz: Ok, their was a little miscommunication there. lol

Well they also say Cranberry Juice is good as well.

#46 Posted by Aiden Cross (15569 posts) - - Show Bio

Where i live most people make their food from scratch, not difficult. :)

#47 Posted by RazzaTazz (9647 posts) - - Show Bio

@ImmortalT1000: Cranberry juice is good, because it helps your digestive system, but only pure cranberry juice, which most people would never drink because it is so sour. The stuff that you buy in stores is all sugar.

@akbogert: The calorie input is one bad part, another is what it does to your metabolism. Such an addition of sugar to your diet is extremely bad in health terms. Sugar consumption versus the same level of alcohol consumption has nearly identical long term health effects.

#48 Posted by Captain_Awesome85 (452 posts) - - Show Bio

A huge problem, I didn't see anyone bring up, is also the time you eat certain foods. If you are going to be sitting in a desk or at a computer for an extended period, take into consideration what you are putting into yourself. There is no need to eat a high fat high sugar doughnut to start off your day if you may not do any activity for an extended period. As a general rule of thumb I try to only eat food with fat content < 25-30% and try to do at least one activity a day. Maintenance is the easy part of staying healthy you just have to condition yourself to get to your goals. Think of all the time you send on trivial tasks throughout your life and just try to make one change at a time. Whether its keeping some protein bars or a healthy snack alternative available to you at all times or just getting up and going for a walk. I am currently working out of a cardiologist office and I can tell you first hand, I have seen ex navy seals, army rangers, police officers, and former athletes that have just let them selves go over the years; so anyone thinking this could never happen to you think again. The longer you wait to improve the quality of your life the more "body debt", as I call it, you will build up and the harder it will be to make these simple changes.

#49 Posted by Pyrogram (39511 posts) - - Show Bio

@RazzaTazz said:

@ImmortalT1000: Drink only water or milk. Everything else is far too high in sugar (including juice)

Fun fact, Human Breast milk is the only consumable that humans can solely drink and survive without eating or drinking anything else.

@Captain_Awesome85 said:

A huge problem, I didn't see anyone bring up, is also the time you eat certain foods. If you are going to be sitting in a desk or at a computer for an extended period, take into consideration what you are putting into yourself. There is no need to eat a high fat high sugar doughnut to start off your day if you may not do any activity for an extended period. As a general rule of thumb I try to only eat food with fat content < 25-30% and try to do at least one activity a day. Maintenance is the easy part of staying healthy you just have to condition yourself to get to your goals. Think of all the time you send on trivial tasks throughout your life and just try to make one change at a time. Whether its keeping some protein bars or a healthy snack alternative available to you at all times or just getting up and going for a walk. I am currently working out of a cardiologist office and I can tell you first hand, I have seen ex navy seals, army rangers, police officers, and former athletes that have just let them selves go over the years; so anyone thinking this could never happen to you think again. The longer you wait to improve the quality of your life the more "body debt", as I call it, you will build up and the harder it will be to make these simple changes.

This is ultra true to a stupid amount of truth.

@Decoy Elite said:

I...I don't think I should be looking at this thread. It makes me so depressed about how unhealthy I am. ;.;

Well change.

#50 Posted by impossibilly (886 posts) - - Show Bio

One of the best pieces of advice I heard recently regarding eating healthy is to stick to the outer edge of the super market. That's where you'll find your produce, meats, and dairy. The inner aisles are where most of the heavily processed foods are located. Obviously, not everything on outer edge aisles are healthy, but that is where you'll find the healthiest items.

I make salads every day for my wife and me to take to the office. I usually hit the market twice a week for fresh vegetables and bake a bunch of chicken breasts on Sunday night to add to the salads for the week.

I highly recommend using the Lose It app for iOS and Android. It's a really good calorie tracker that let you scan bar codes of foods and has a lot of supermarket and restaurant foods' calorie, fat, protein and carb contents.

I cook dinner most nights. We don't eat red meat that often. It's not that we avoid it, but I know some great, easy recipes for chicken and fish...and an awesome vegetable curry. If anyone has questions about cooking, I'll gladly answer.