The Do U Even Lift Thread

• 153 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By DarthAznable

@darthaznable: I would say around 290-300 lbs would be my safest assumption, though if you haven't lifted in awhile, that could be potentially troublesome.

Lifting for max is the last thing I'm gonna try to do when I start back up. I honestly haven't been lifting that long. I just started when I was 18 but I like to think I came a long way.

force_echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By force_echo

When I was in high school, I played baseball and football my freshman and sophomore year and baseball and basketball my junior and senior year. I didn't work out more than I had to because I hate working out. I benched maybe 215 and squatted 400 or something around there consistently without ever really improving. Now I'm in college playing baseball and the pressure is on to lift even more, but the time to do so is nonexistent.

I really like running. A lot. I ran XC junior and senior year as much as I could in between baseball and basketball and competitively ran a PR of 17:46. Unfortunately, running tears up your body like nothing else, and after multiple shin splints I had to take excessive time off before it began to affect baseball. I'm still recuperating, my loads down to 21-25 miles a week, but even then it's almost impossible to juggle running, weightlifting, baseball practice, and schoolwork.

Whenever I do go to the gym I do extremely high intensity "cardio" workouts with high reps, little breaks, and weight increases every set until failure. I find this helps jump start my metabolism and gives me the best out of the little time I have to work out. Unfortunately, because I can't work out every day, soreness becomes a problem.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@cable_extreme: Haha, thanks. I'm trying to get up to 160-165 by the first week of September. As an adult I think I want to get somewhere around 230-240 at max.

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08: that is a good range, how tall are you?

I was 240 though a tad over weight when I was starting highschool, I started lifting and doing wrestling and basically lived it, did well. Got a scholarship and my coach has been working my a$$ of during the school semester. The main thing is pretty much eating. I found out that you cannot gain at all without eating enough food. I generally however, didn't have as much gaining muscle as I did losing fat, though the intense wrestling workouts kinda do that for me. Just find something you are good at, lifting for me gets boring if I don't have a goal (wrestling).

Avatar image for redxiii18881990
Redxiii18881990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Redxiii18881990

@darthaznable: I'm intending to but with reaching the wall and the constant gym and college, I've burnt myself out. Think I'll enjoy my holiday and and probably switch gym then go back and hit it hard.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@force_echo: If you eat enough and get enough sleep/rest. Soreness shouldn't really be a problem. It'll be there but not as prevalent. Going to failure every set every workout doesn't really help you improve. Try changing it up sometime. Pyramiding should only be used every now and then. Instead try a set weight, then increase it every week by about 10lbs or so. Better results will come.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthaznable: I'm intending to but with reaching the wall and the constant gym and college, I've burnt myself out. Think I'll enjoy my holiday and and probably switch gym then go back and hit it hard.

A short break is always good. I'm only taking one due to personal events. It also sounds like with that peak you've hit overtraining. People may call it a myth but I still like to use the term for when people burn themselves out. The only way to really get over it from what I've seen other people do is change everything completely or take a break.

Redxiii18881990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthaznable: yea I know. It's been great so far not having to worry watch my diet and exhaust myself. But I must admit I'm looking forward to getting back to it. It's makes me feel great but so does the break. Just eager to get back to it now I'm talking about it. I miss my pump!

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for dathomiesilversurfer
DatHomieSilverSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08: damn i wish I could have lifted 235 at 15, would've gotten all the honeys lol

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

@laflux said:

@darthaznable said:

@laflux: But does he even lift though?!

Yep, he benches slightly more than I do, but I have 25 pounds on him and he's only 15. So yeah its pretty impressive.

LOL I always laugh, He's virtually a baby.

Avatar image for deactivated-61bde0e570bb9
deactivated-61bde0e570bb9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I lift bro, hard work getting into the chair.

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

Right now my workout routine is:

Monday: Chest/Tri for about an hour with 15 minutes of sprints and then later on in the day I do an hour and a half of Muay Thai

Tuesday: Abs for 30 minutes and an hour of swimming

Wednesday: Back/Bicep for about an hour with 15 minutes of sprints and then later on an hour and a half of Kickboxing

Thursday: Shoulder/Leg for a little over an hour with 15 minutes of me walking on a treadmill and then later on an hour and a half of Boxing

Friday: An hour of swimming (though I will admit after the 30 minute mark I kinda slack off on the swimming and just start floating around)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Serious question time.

For the most average person, 30 minutes a day of moderate exercise along with a proper diet and healthy living is enough to be fit.

Professional athletes need specialized training for their sports, so as a result they have to work out much more intensely then average joe gym dude.

Bodybuilders focus on definition and tone to achieve the best possible "look" in competitions, and have to do some pretty wild things as such.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this. I do my normal exercise stuff, but I do not enjoy torturing myself at the gym. Hell, I don't even go to the gym anymore because every one in this town is loaded with douchers yelling and screaming at each other and other people and belittling 12 year old kids for not being able to bench 300 pounds and other crap like that.

So what do the intense workout guys get out of it? Does it make you feel better, is it a hobby, what is it?

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rd189: I'd fall between an athlete and bodybuilder on your list, and my motivation is just fun. I love pushing myself in the gym to the limits of my human body and I also do other sports like martial arts so it helps as well. Looking swole ain't bad either :D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#119  Edited By god_spawn  Moderator

I need DM so we can bring back Swole Your Role.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#120 god_spawn  Moderator

@rd189:

So what do the intense workout guys get out of it? Does it make you feel better, is it a hobby, what is it?

Aesthetics and strength. Plus, it's part of my job. If I don't lift for a few days I start to feel kinda meh.

Avatar image for howard_the-duck
Howard_The-Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I skipped leg day once a few years ago, because of that I'm now a deformed freak

NEVER SKIP LEG DAY

Redxiii18881990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Redxiii18881990

@howard_the-duck: many a man lost to skipping leg day!

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@howard_the-duck: Lol

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty sure OP doesn't lift anyway.

force_echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@force_echo: If you eat enough and get enough sleep/rest. Soreness shouldn't really be a problem. It'll be there but not as prevalent. Going to failure every set every workout doesn't really help you improve. Try changing it up sometime. Pyramiding should only be used every now and then. Instead try a set weight, then increase it every week by about 10lbs or so. Better results will come.

But that's boring as hell. HIIT is more fun to me, and I'm already getting significantly stronger and I only work out for 30-45 minutes 3 times a week (and that's a good week). I don't go to failure EVERY set, just in intervals. Sort of like my running workout. 5 miles at 6 flat per mile. Then balls-out sprinting for about 2-5 minutes. Followed by 3 miles at cooldown speed. My workout follows much the same pattern. The only downside is the soreness that sometimes incapacitates me up to 2 days, probably aggravated by the fact that since I'm going to an extremely challenging university I don't always sleep or eat as much as I should. Plus, I can't get sore for Baseball, especially games, so I have to be extra careful.

Redxiii18881990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since this is kinda in line with this thread what are people supplementing to aid?

Eisenfauste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*Huff*

*Wheeze*

M...must lift spoonful of i..icecream to mouth

Whew! That was rough

What are we talking about again guys? Working out?

DatHomieSilverSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rd189: for me, honestly, working out/ lifting is a form of meditation. It's calming and requires me to focus intently on the current moment. It is also nice in that their is a numerical system I can use to gage my progress, and help motivate me to push harder.

DatHomieSilverSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rd189: the time i spend working out is my equivalent of meditation. it allows me to focus inwards and on the current moment, while also motivating me to push myself harder.

also, the beazys. I do it for the beazys.

Detrolord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah i used to

But i only jog 30 mins, 60 curl ups and 45 push ups everyday i don't have time for that

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad
deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I don't.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@force_echo: That is true. It's a lot different when it comes to sports. Working out like a bodybuilder then trying to play a sport sucks. It's why I can't do boxing like I want to. No damn oxygen.

@rd189 said:

Serious question time.

For the most average person, 30 minutes a day of moderate exercise along with a proper diet and healthy living is enough to be fit.

Professional athletes need specialized training for their sports, so as a result they have to work out much more intensely then average joe gym dude.

Bodybuilders focus on definition and tone to achieve the best possible "look" in competitions, and have to do some pretty wild things as such.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this. I do my normal exercise stuff, but I do not enjoy torturing myself at the gym. Hell, I don't even go to the gym anymore because every one in this town is loaded with douchers yelling and screaming at each other and other people and belittling 12 year old kids for not being able to bench 300 pounds and other crap like that.

It was originally gonna be a job for me. I was gonna compete for men's physique but there's no money in that for my future plus I love animals as much as I love myself. I got satisfaction, some strength, and aesthetics. It was a little more than a hobby.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By DarthAznable

I'm pretty sure OP doesn't lift anyway.

Patrick Stewart admires the originality.
Patrick Stewart admires the originality.

@detrolord Why'd you stop?

@scorpion2501 Do you do a sport or anything then? This thread is for everything. I just used the Do u lift term because everyone seems to use it now.

Detrolord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthaznable Cause i don't wanna pay in the gym while i was in the navy its all free

SpitfirePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This seemed as good a place as any to post this video. This girl is an absolute beast, even if she probably doesn't lift for strength.

Loading Video...

Mr_Clockwork91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Mr_Clockwork91

@darthaznable Legs and abs are very important. Leg workouts actually build a natural testosterone for your body allowing you to get more in your upper body.

Also for anybody who doesn't like lifting weights and wants to do more tone/ cardio workouts I highly suggest this website, all the workouts are pure body, no gym necessary and it has superhero theme workouts. Batman workout below:

No Caption Provided
CF12793

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By CF12793

I lift weights and do cardio for an hour a day 7 days a week, no off days.

Now some of you are probably thinking why the hell would someone do that.....well, it's just that I've always been training this way for years and it's never brought me anything other than great results and an abundance of energy. I honestly can't go a single day without doing some type of work out.

I do chest, arms, and legs on Monday/Wednesday/Friday/Sunday, along with 20 minutes of HiiT Cardio. Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays are focused on back and arms, but I focus on longer cardio sessions on these days, so I go for 45 minute runs.

But I know what some of you are thinking, "every single day?!" but when you don't have a life, it's pretty easy to train that much. I take days off when I am working and have to be places but I always try to get home early enough for a workout. I'm sure that other people are thinking, "But you're overtraining! You need to rest to repair the muscles!" My muscles aren't fatigued. It's not like I'm dropping weights all the time and doing exercises using poor form. (Sure I cheat every once in a while but don't we all to make ourselves feel proud?) I've never had any problems with doing this everyday. I've gotten stronger then ever, without taking days off. My philosophy on overtraining is that you can train your body to do anything, and I think that my body is simply used to working out everyday. I'm really proud of going from 230 lbs of fat down all the way to 145 lbs of muscle (I'm about 5'7 so it's not like I need to carry a lot of weight) and maintaining those results. Another great thing about training daily? I don't have to worry about diet. Really, I can pretty much whatever I want without thinking about it having an impact on my overall physique because I'll know my work out in conjunction with my metabolism will just burn it off. I respect people who take off days, I really do. I've tried and I've found myself overcome with boredom and ultimately regret of not working out. The off-day isn't for me. lol

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Giving this a bump.

What would you guys consider "big" at 5'9?

SpitfirePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By SpitfirePanda

@wolverine08: If your muscles aren't as big as his, you're not trying hard enough!

No Caption Provided

Sergio Oliva at 5 feet 9 inches.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SpitfirePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By SpitfirePanda

@wolverine08: Don't worry, I'm like half a soggy noodle compared to this guy. And he's on steroids, so… there's that.

Avatar image for redbird3rdboywonder
redbird3rdboywonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does no one want to go for the Bruce Lee look?

In all seriousness though I was taking Tae kwon do but I had to move that was about a year ago buy I plan on moving back anyway I've been trying to gain weight for the longest but can't. I'm 5'10 and weigh only 122(some f*cking how I dropped 11 pounds despite not doing anything for a month and having these chicken legs are embarrassing) so any advice would be appreciated with a strict workout regiment I could stick too would help

force_echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for redbird3rdboywonder
redbird3rdboywonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@force_echo: Being cut is perfect for a martial art. I read somewhere that Bruce went from 135 to 165 thanks to his training but was so pissed at the weight gain that he dropped it

SpitfirePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought I'd share this here. It's a really good video from someone who knows what she's talking about.

Loading Video...

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@force_echo: Being cut is perfect for a martial art. I read somewhere that Bruce went from 135 to 165 thanks to his training but was so pissed at the weight gain that he dropped it

Bruce was like 140 lbs then dropped more when he was sick. No size is "perfect" for a martial artist. It's about being fit and efficient.

Avatar image for cosmicallyaware1
cosmicallyaware1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

my lifting thread was locked because I didn't check to see if any weer created before, ahaha. So, brought this one back to life.

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No

Thewhiteronin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers