The difference between Humans and Animals

• 79 results
Pablo_Mablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I am not sure if I should have made a different thread but what are the differences between man and animal? I know there is a difference but what is it?

Tohoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The ability to reason.

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

theres only one differnece and that is animals dont talk back like kids or teenagers or even spouses do. human and animals only have that one difference wile they share pretty much everything else like companionship intelligence ect

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Humans- The animals that won the race to the top of the food chain.

PotatoOfDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We have a superiority complex.

'--'

Tohoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also the ability to think about the differences between man and animals.

KraytRawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WE laugh at our farts.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@potatoofdoom: To be fair we did kind of earn it. Think about it, by animal standards human beings are pretty much physically pathetic. We're relatively slow and weak, we heal slower, aside from our vision our senses are dull, and our natural instincts suck but by sheer brain power we made it to the top of the food chain and became the dominant species on this planet.

Avatar image for marionettegeist
Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Human's ARE animals.

Tohoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dctv3363 said:

Human's ARE animals.

Then what type of animals are we? There is a reason why we don't have dog and cat run civilizations.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tohoma: We are technically primates.

Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tohoma said:

@dctv3363 said:

Human's ARE animals.

Then what type of animals are we? There is a reason why we don't have dog and cat run civilizations.

As Josmightbe said, primates. We're just smarter than the other animals on this planet, so we naturally try to make it seem like there is more of a difference between us (other than our intelligence of course).

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By russellmania77

the difference is i can eat one and wont go to jail

PotatoOfDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe said:

@potatoofdoom: To be fair we did kind of earn it. Think about it, by animal standards human beings are pretty much physically pathetic. We're relatively slow and weak, we heal slower, aside from our vision our senses are dull, and our natural instincts suck but by sheer brain power we made it to the top of the food chain and became the dominant species on this planet.

I see your point, but, I some times think that humans got on the top of the food chain by sheer luck (Or evolution?); yes, our brain is awesome, but "it only can do so much."

I mean, if they were any smarter, insects could take over the world and we couln't do **** about it. >_<

(I'm using a phone, sorry for the tyops )

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 1

We have a superiority complex.

'--'

We evidently are superior.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe said:

I mean, if they were any smarter, insects could take over the world and we couln't do **** about it. >_<

Pesticides?

Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Marionettegeist

@joshmightbe said:

I see your point, but, I some times think that humans got on the top of the food chain by sheer luck (Or evolution?); yes, our brain is awesome, but "it only can do so much."

Actually evolution is the result of certain groups surviving, not the other way around.

PotatoOfDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PotatoOfDoom

@pyrogram said:

@potatoofdoom said:

@joshmightbe said:

Pesticides?

Pesticides...nukes.

(istheresuchathing?)

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PotatoOfDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PotatoOfDoom

@dctv3363 said:

@potatoofdoom said:

@joshmightbe said:

Actually evolution is the result of certain groups surviving, not the other way around.

Yeah.

We are alive as far I can tell.

(I'll rephrase my posts when I get home.)

Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dctv3363 said:

@potatoofdoom said:

@joshmightbe said:

Yeah.

We are alive as far I can tell.

(I'll rephrase my posts when I get home .)

Not sure what you're saying but you said you'd rephrase it so... yeah.

PotatoOfDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PotatoOfDoom

@dctv3363: I will.

I didn't expect any replies, that's why I "rushed." to post :P

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like animals, but humans write better comics.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Sex for enjoyment and not for procreation. :p

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am not sure if I should have made a different thread but what are the differences between man and animal? I know there is a difference but what is it?

@dctv3363 said:

Human's ARE animals.

There's your answer. Humans are animals. Maybe you mean what is the difference between humans and OTHER animals?

If that's the question, then the answer is that a small percentage of our genome is different from the "closest" animals such as chimpanzees. I'm not sure what other answer to give. There are animals that can do pretty much whatever we can do, but simply to different extents. Some animals can make tools, communicate with language, use reason, have emotions, have morality, have abstract thought, can recognize themselves in mirrors, etc, etc.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tohoma said:

The ability to reason.

Animals can do that.

theres only one differnece and that is animals dont talk back like kids or teenagers or even spouses do. human and animals only have that one difference wile they share pretty much everything else like companionship intelligence ect

Animals can do that.

Humans- The animals that won the race to the top of the food chain.

There are other animals who are at the top of the food chain. Go jump in the ocean and see how far you live against some hungry sharks.

@tohoma said:

Also the ability to think about the differences between man and animals.

What gives you the impression that animals cant think???

I like animals, but humans write better comics.

I disagree.

No Caption Provided

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Humans can sweat, so we rose to the top.

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 juiceboks  Moderator

@dernman said:

Sex for enjoyment and not for procreation. :p

Dogs, Dolphins, Chimps, Lions, Bonobos, Giraffes and many other animals have sex just for the hell of it.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's definitely something terrible about the fact that I can recognize Rob Liefeld.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willpayton: Okay on land we're on top

Based on what criteria?

There's something like 7 billion humans on Earth. If we look at ants, there's somewhere between 10^15 to 10^18 ants. So, at least a million billion ants. Who's on top?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

Sentience.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares said:

Sentience.

There are animals other than humans who are sentient.

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

There is no difference.End of story.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squares said:

Sentience.

Like?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We can understand each other, but we can't understand animals.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshmightbe said:

Based on what criteria?

There's something like 7 billion humans on Earth. If we look at ants, there's somewhere between 10^15 to 10^18 ants. So, at least a million billion ants. Who's on top?

Based on the criteria that a large amount of our species can go to sleep with no fear of being eaten by a predator.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By willpayton

@squares said:

@willpayton said:

@squares said:

Sentience.

Like?

Well I suppose it depends on how you define "sentient", but if we're going with "able to perceive and feel things", then there's many animals such as chimpanzees, whales, elephants, dolphins, dogs... and really too many to name, that would qualify. There are animals that can feel pain, have a sense of self, have a sense of community, have a sense of morality. There are even some birds (including magpies and pigeons) that can recognize themselves in a mirror... a sign of self-awareness.

What part of sentience do you think that no animal has?

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willpayton said:

@joshmightbe said:

Based on what criteria?

Based on the criteria that a large amount of our species can go to sleep with no fear of being eaten by a predator.

That applies to ants much more than humans. So, by your own definition of "being on top", ants are above humans.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willpayton: With the exception of spiders, birds, frogs, ant-eaters, aardvarks and the thousand other things that regularly eat ants and the nothing other than bacterium that regularly feed on humans.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

The ability to question their own existence. Also not being able to be a animalrocket.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willpayton: Huh, cool. I was under the impression sentience meant something along the lines of ability to reason.

HeckTate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 7

#44  Edited By HeckTate

I just want to briefly mention tools. Very few animals in the world create and use tools to effectively (that word is key here) accomplish tasks. The ones that do we typically consider to be highly intelligent, these are your dolphins, chimps (and a handful of other primates), otters, octopi, etc.

But mostly the difference between humans and other animals is we have language, and no, not all animals have their own language. Most animals have a call system, which is a basic set of noises or gestures designed to communicate one members' reaction to another, informing them of something that is happening at the moment. What remains of the human call system is laughing, crying (sadness), crying out in pain, sighing, groaning, and screaming in anger. From what we can of studying other primates they have anywhere from 15-40 calls which can be used to relay a good amount of information, but not even close to the extent of a language with interchangeable words. Their call systems also don't relate to past or future, they only provide information about something that is happening at the time the call is made, and they're entirely subjective, meaning each call is only the animal's personal reaction to what's happening. That's opposed to language, which is defined by it's infinite interchangeability; you can combine whatever words needed to mean whatever you need, or create new words to describe new concepts. We've been able to teach animals both verbal and non-verbal language, but with the possible exception of whales we don't know of any animals that have developed an actual language on their own.

If you're interested, here are some results from a very in depth study reported by the Dolphin Communication Project, about . . . you know, dolphin communication. I know most of you don't want to read the whole thing (though it is really interesting) so here's the take away:

So the question remains, ‘do dolphins have anything like human language’? The simple answer to that is: as far as science has been able to determine, no they don’t.

Appreciate your ability to take in this information and express your own views in whatever words you like, no animal we know of can do that.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#45 SC  Moderator

Oh yikes. Okay as aforementioned humans are animals. What are the differences between humans and other animals? Well there are lots of differences, there are a lot of animals and a lot of animals are very different from each other even among their own populations. We can look at our ability to reason. In terms of our intelligence and critical thinking and reasoning we are the blue whales of animals. That also being said there are many animals with the ability to think and reason. A few animals have even demonstrated superior memory ability to use in certain contexts. Another big important 'human' thing is how long our children take to mature and this is important because it relates to our brains and growth. Our young are very vulnerable for a long time but we manage because of group behavior. Stuff like our softer bones/skull that can be pushed out pelvis's but grow and strengthen once outside and all sorts of other stuff you can read in a biology book probably.

This is a relatively temporary thing of course. Once other animals get thumbs, walk upright, and have longer incubation periods and other stuff like that, their species intelligence will start to increase too. That being said intelligence may be overrated as far as a survival tool or it might be relatively rare.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dolphins are rapists, I hear. Though if they can't understand "no", who can fault them?

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willpayton: With the exception of spiders, birds, frogs, ant-eaters, aardvarks and the thousand other things that regularly eat ants and the nothing other than bacterium that regularly feed on humans.

Regardless of what can eat ants, they're hardly afraid of it, which was your own criteria. In fact I've seen no evidence whatsoever that ants feel any kind of fear. Also, when there are at least a million billion ants around, and they mostly live underground, even if they did feel fear, I doubt they'd be too afraid of a few birds and spiders and anteaters.

So, I really dont see your point... which is probably to do with you not being sure what your point even is. Many things can kill or eat ants, but many things can kill humans. How many ants die of car accidents or airplane crashes, or gun shots, or bombs, or heart disease?

@squares said:

@willpayton: Huh, cool. I was under the impression sentience meant something along the lines of ability to reason.

If we define it like that, then still there's plenty of animals that can reason. Even many birds are good at solving problems. Many animals can use tools. Some animals can even be taught sign language to communicate with humans. I even remember an article saying that dolphins can do math.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hecktate said:

But mostly the difference between humans and other animals is we have language, and no, not all animals have their own language. Most animals have a call system, which is a basic set of noises or gestures designed to communicate one members' reaction to another, informing them of something that is happening at the moment. What remains of the human call system is laughing, crying (sadness), crying out in pain, sighing, groaning, and screaming in anger. From what we can of studying other primates they have anywhere from 15-40 calls which can be used to relay a good amount of information, but not even close to the extent of a language with interchangeable words. Their call systems also don't relate to past or future, they only provide information about something that is happening at the time the call is made, and they're entirely subjective, meaning each call is only the animal's personal reaction to what's happening. That's opposed to language, which is defined by it's infinite interchangeability; you can combine whatever words needed to mean whatever you need, or create new words to describe new concepts. We've been able to teach animals both verbal and non-verbal language, but with the possible exception of whales we don't know of any animals that have developed an actual language on their own.

If you're interested, here are some results from a very in depth study reported by the Dolphin Communication Project, about . . . you know, dolphin communication. I know most of you don't want to read the whole thing (though it is really interesting) so here's the take away:

So the question remains, ‘do dolphins have anything like human language’? The simple answer to that is: as far as science has been able to determine, no they don’t.

Appreciate your ability to take in this information and express your own views in whatever words you like, no animal we know of can do that.

It's just really difficult to distinguish which animal sounds are a language and which are non-language vocalizations like you mention. But, a big clue would be if you take an animal from one area and put him in another. I mean, a human laugh is a laugh anywhere on Earth. So, we know that laughing isnt a part of language. But, do some animals have unique languages or even unique dialects? The answer seems to be yes.

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/questions/question/2428/

This paper concludes that differences in regional chimp "language" may be due to learning... so, in other words, a true language instead of just innate vocalizations.

http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/handle/2027.42/38427/1350270402_ftp.pdf?sequence=1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willpayton: Hm, that's true. I remember reading that crows can problem-solve.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers