The Dark Knight to Batman: Can They Even Be Compared?

Avatar image for imthedamnbatman
ImTheDamnBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ImTheDamnBatman

Arguably the two best Batman movies ever made. I get a lot of people may consider Batman Begins as > The Dark Knight, but generally TDK is seen as the milestone film in that trilogy, so it is being used here.

Which is the best? Burton's dark-and-yet-campy take, or Nolan's dark-and-yet-real take? Both certainly have their similar qualities and differences. How do they stand when compared?

- Both featured The Joker -

THE Batman villain: Joker. Who portrayed him better? Well, better is a matter of perspective. If someone wanted a goofier Joker, Burton would be best. If someone wanted a sarcastic gritty Joker, Nolan's your man. I think each respective actor did well with their roles and takes on Joker, but in the end Heath sold it to me. I'm convinced that was the performance of the '00 decade.

- Bruce Wayne -

I've broken Batman and Bruce Wayne apart because I honestly believe they are two different characters to play. Batman is NOT Bruce Wayne, and vice versa.

That being said, the better Bruce Wayne for me was Bale. Keaton was great as a suave intelligent Bruce, but he lacked the arrogance Bale brought. To Bruce, "Bruce Wayne" is nothing more than a character he does to hide his true identity as Batman. He WANTS Bruce Wayne to be an over the top playboy, because that would ease any suspicions of him being Batman. Bale hit this one on the head.

- Batman -

Now we get to the Caped Crusader himself. Who was better?

I'm aware people are going to cry that I'm a TDK fanboy, but once again, after rewatching both movies, Bale's was the better. I found him more intimidating, scarier, bigger, faster... Everything Batman needs to be. Keaton was too soft (physically) to play Batman. I didn't buy it. In the end, Bale seemed like a man on a life mission to stop crime. Keaton seemed like a guy with a ton of money who thought, "Hey, fighting crime would be cool"

- Homage to the Lore -

How true was each to the comics? Well, when considering the time frame for each, both stuck extremely well. The only beef I have is that Burton made Joker the same guy who killed Bruce's parents, something that should never have happened.

- Batmobile -

The Batmobile. Everybody knows it, everybody loves it.

This one is no contest. Burton's Batmobile far exceeded the Tumbler.

- Story -

In the end, TDK was about the duality of man. This theme is shown throughout the entire movie, with the boat sequence, Batman's conflicted ideals, and, of course, Harvey Dent. "You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain." That quote sums up what the movie is about.

Batman is about Batman beating up The Joker and keeping him from killing people. Which believe me, I eat up in a heartbeat. But it doesn't stand against TDK.

All in all, I believe TDK was the better of the two films. What about you? Your thoughts, opinions? Anything I could have touched on?

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

Nice comparison.

Avatar image for emequious_swerve
Emequious_Swerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

- Homage to the Lore -

How true was each to the comics? Well, when considering the time frame for each, both stuck extremely well. The only beef I have is that Burton made Joker the same guy who killed Bruce's parents, something that should never have happened.

I don't understand why this would matter to someone. I mean its not like Jack Napier knew they were the Waynes, he was just committing a random crime.

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By russellmania77

Tim Burton can suck it. The Dark knight all the way

Yokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TDK is better

Avatar image for marionettegeist
Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@imthedamnbatman said:

- Homage to the Lore -

I don't understand why this would matter to someone. I mean its not like Jack Napier knew they were the Waynes, he was just committing a random crime.

Just because it's different. I mean don't get me wrong, if they changed it all of a sudden in the comics I would think of it as stupid and pointless. But in the context of Burton's Batman movie it actually fit quite well, and didn't really change the characters personalities or anything.

Avatar image for emequious_swerve
Emequious_Swerve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Emequious_Swerve

@dctv3363 said:

Just because it's different. I mean don't get me wrong, if they changed it all of a sudden in the comics I would think of it as stupid and pointless. But in the context of Burton's Batman movie it actually fit quite well, and didn't really change the characters personalities or anything.

It kind of worked because I guess Burton, or the writers at least wanted a connection between the two. So he had them "create" one another. Otherwise the whole dichotomy between the Batman and the Joker, especially in the comics, makes no sense. Its not like Bats hate clowns or anything. Why would Joker be so opposed to Batman.

Avatar image for marionettegeist
Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dctv3363 said:

It kind of worked because I guess Burton, or the writers at least wanted a connection between the two. So he had them "create" one another. Otherwise the whole dichotomy between the Batman and the Joker, especially in the comics, makes no sense. Its not like Bats hate clowns or anything. Why would Joker be so opposed to Batman.

Well it did make them more connected, and I do think it worked in the movie, but they don't necessarily need it in the comics (or the movie if they had reworked it) to make the story work. Joker kills people, so Batman is naturally opposed and disgusted by him. Batman refuses to kill Joker no matter what he does, and Joker wants to prove that Batman will break just like any man will. If Joker can make Batman break down and kill him, Joker essentially proved his view of the world correct, in his eyes.