Posted by ImTheDamnBatman (3548 posts) - - Show Bio

To be a fan of a Superhero used to mean heading down to the local shop, grabbing the newest issue of Superman, and cracking it open when you got home, savoring every illustration until the next issue came out. However, these days to be a "fan" of a Superhero is much less involved; You go and watch The Avengers, and suddenly you're all about Superheroes, and a complete "fanboy" of Thor! It doesn't matter if you think the extent of his abilities is flying, hitting, and shooting lightning, he's you're new favorite trend. And that's something else that happens when the conversion of comics to movies. People get the wrong idea of what the Superhero is capable of! Iron Man honestly contesting with Thor? Come on. But it's what people believe. Which leads me to my next point: It's only "cool" to like Superheroes from the movies. For instance, a friend of mine was trying to tell me how Captain America could take Thor, since, of course, he saw The Avengers. He was talking my ear off about it, so I finally broke down and showed him scans of how Captain America could in now way compete with Thor. Surprisingly, he has the audacity to call ME a nerd, when he had not only brought up the topic, but talked to me about it for a half hour! And that's what it's come to: Watch the movies, you're a badass, read the comics, you're a nerd. Now don't get me wrong, I'm all about Movie-Adaptions. The Nolan Bat Trilogy is my favorite series of movies, and I really enjoyed the Spider-Mans. But it's gotten to the point where the general populace is only concerned with the movies. Whenever I see Avenger stuff now, it's always got Black Widow, Hawkeye, or Hulk. Where's Scarlett Witch? Why can't I have my Vision t-shirt? I'd like some Warbird socks. But you won't see any of that, because as far as the populace is concerned, The Avengers are composed of a bunch of Hollywood A-listers.

#1 Posted by BumpyBoo (10445 posts) - - Show Bio

I take your point, and it does suck to see people jumping on the bandwagon and seeming to take over something you really love. To see it repackaged for people who don't even appreciate it. To see self-professed "experts" who do not know even the slightest thing about it. But the thing to remember is that long after superheroes aren't cool anymore, Batman will still be Batman, our world - by which I mean comic books - will remain, unchanged. Let these people think what they want, they will soon move onto the next fad. Who cares about what the general populace thinks is cool? They'll only change their minds when the next shiny thing comes along :) Laugh at them. They know nothing.

#2 Posted by SupremeHyperion (1542 posts) - - Show Bio

In all honesty the majority of movie fans are probably not actually comic fans. They are people who watch the movies and then get interested in the characters because at that moment they are the hot thing to be interested (peer pressure does seep it's way into what we like sometimes). And for people who don't or never did read the comics (who realize how bad they slaughter source material sometimes) the film becomes the only aspect or story they know about the characters who's bandwagon they have just jumped on. It's the same with sports, movies, music and even superheroes. When something becomes popular or does well others start to like it for what ever reason and often anything that came before they started following is not important

Comic Fans know and should be aware of who they are arguing with :)

#3 Posted by Inverno (13330 posts) - - Show Bio

Well Avengers Assemble is going to be based on the movie and they are going to throw all the EMH's continuity out of the window for the sake of movies so in that case...

But seriously now I understand your point. I have a friend who loves superheroes, but doesn't care for comics in general, and such his knowledge about characters is very limited. He complains how Ra's Al Ghul was made basically the primary villain in Nolan's Batman instead of the Joker, the problem is that he thinks Ra's was created specifically for the movies.

#4 Posted by laflux (17529 posts) - - Show Bio

@BumpyBoo said:

I take your point, and it does suck to see people jumping on the bandwagon and seeming to take over something you really love. To see it repackaged for people who don't even appreciate it. To see self-professed "experts" who do not know even the slightest thing about it. But the thing to remember is that long after superheroes aren't cool anymore, Batman will still be Batman, our world - by which I mean comic books - will remain, unchanged. Let these people think what they want, they will soon move onto the next fad. Who cares about what the general populace thinks is cool? They'll only change their minds when the next shiny thing comes along :) Laugh at them. They know nothing.

I approve of this.

Also liking the Nemi avatar more than most- which is saying something.

#5 Posted by BumpyBoo (10445 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux: Thank you very much! ^_^

#6 Posted by feebadger (1445 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it helps to look at the bigger picture regarding this; the comic industry is struggling and if the movies help keep the industry healthy and producing books with their massive influx of finances and outside world interest (no matter how fleeting), then i'm all for it. I think we can all put up with ignorant, wannabe fan boys if it helps the medium we love :) Regarding everything else

@BumpyBoo said:

This ;P

#7 Posted by Necrotic_Lycanthrope (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

I always go to creating an original universe to taunt established ones that have gone too far off track. I mean, Invincible would be a good deviation comic for those sick of the constant shifts in the current version of Superman.

#8 Posted by Aronmorales (9618 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a general thing for stories that have a cult following to become misunderstood in the hands of the public; once the story is retold in a way that the masses will enjoy, the masses will become fans.

Fans, that is, of what they were given.

True, the beauty of taking the cult-followed to the public does lead to people wanting to know more about the original source and thus they become integrated into the cult-following, but still the story goes on to many as it was presented through change.

#9 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah this is very true where I'm from on so many levels. Everybody I went to school with was into The Spiderman, Batman, Iron Man and Superman movies but whenever I would pop something into conversation about Batman not being the only hero in his universe or something to that effect I would get funny looks and certain people would say things like, "We aren't talking about the comics". Or, the best yet was when Ultimate Spider-man came around. "Spider-man is only Peter Parker, no one else". Good stuff..

#10 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20427 posts) - - Show Bio

@CaioTrubat said:

Well Avengers Assemble is going to be based on the movie and they are going to throw all the EMH's continuity out of the window for the sake of movies so in that case...

But seriously now I understand your point. I have a friend who loves superheroes, but doesn't care for comics in general, and such his knowledge about characters is very limited. He complains how Ra's Al Ghul was made basically the primary villain in Nolan's Batman instead of the Joker, the problem is that he thinks Ra's was created specifically for the movies.

What I don't get is : WHY IS FALCON IN THERE.

#11 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34297 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by StMichalofWilson (4005 posts) - - Show Bio

@BumpyBoo said:

This

#13 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7949 posts) - - Show Bio

@StMichalofWilson said:

@BumpyBoo said:

This

Yep

#14 Posted by laflux (17529 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

@CaioTrubat said:

Token Black Guy.

#15 Posted by Inverno (13330 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux said:

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

@CaioTrubat said:

Token Black Guy.

I thought Nick "BADASS MOFO" Fury already filled this slot.

#16 Posted by thespideyguy (2643 posts) - - Show Bio

@ImTheDamnBatman: At my school most everybody reads manga and thinks they're a comic book reader, or that graphic novel stuff. When in reality there is only one other kid in my school who reads them, and he hasn't picked up an issue in three months.