Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

source: my blog

The Cabin in the Woods review

The Cabin in the Woods manages to throw the horror and comedy genres into a blender, and the result is a delicious product that's ridiculously fun and warrants watching at least once.
The Cabin in the Woods is a modern-day Army of Darkness. High praise, I know, but it's worthy of the title. There's not much I can say about the overall plot without spoiling all of the fun, so I'll keep it to the basics. The Cabin in the Woods follows a group of stereotypical college kids (the stoner, the sports guy, the scantily-clad hot girl, amongst others) that head to a cabin deep in the woods for a weekend getaway. Meanwhile, mysterious figures are keeping a close eye on the group and the chaos and bloodshed follows shortly after their seemingly relaxing vacation begins.
I know what you're probably thinking. This is all too familiar and there's no reason why you'd want to see this scenario play out for the millionth time. I felt the same way after seeing the trailers and going into this movie, but that assumption is completely false. This isn't just another generic horror flick or something you've already seen before. The concept behind this film is ridiculously far-fetched in a good way and allows for tons of hilarious elements and creatures to be tossed our way.
The film is being heavily pushed mostly as a horror experience, but it's the sharp writing and witty humor that makes The Cabin in the Woods so superb. It's absurdly funny, and that's something I've come to expect whenever the talented Joss Whedon (Firefly, Buffy the Vampire Slayer) is attached to a project. The director of Marvel's The Avengers co-wrote and produced the flick, and there are plenty of standout comedic scenes that simply feel like a segment slapped with a Joss Whedon seal of approval. A Whedon vibe with banter is almost never a bad thing and there's plenty to be found here. Cloverfield writer Drew Goddard makes his directorial debut and has had an extensive history with Whedon, writing episodes for Buffy, Angel and Alias. You can tell the two had a blast working on the script and the final product is one of the most entertaining movies I've seen in awhile.
While The Cabin in the Woods is going to keep you laughing the whole time, odds are no one is going to be having any nightmares over this one. It's not a scary movie, but that clearly wasn't the main focus of the film. I think it's important to note this just in case anyone believes this is a horror-heavy movie based on the trailers portraying it as such. The majority of the horror elements are indeed predictable, but I will confess that one jump scare did get me. At the same rate, keeping the trailers focused on the attempted spooks and not the smirks means you're going into this one without having the best jokes already ruined by the trailers, so that's a plus.
While the main characters are all archetypes, Whedon's ability to craft great banter and develop individuals breathes more life into these characters along the way. The tag team of Richard Jenkins and Bradley Whitford really steal the show. Unfortunately discussing their roles would severely take away from all the fun to be had with their scenes. Fran Kranz (Dollhouse) once again delivers as the goofy and comedic dude, while everyone else performs ably as well.
The final act of The Cabin in the Woods is truly something special. Attempting to describe it won't do it any justice. It's just something that needs to be watched to be fully appreciated. Things take a wild turn and the theater was in a permanent state of laughter and bliss as the events unfolded on the big screen. Oh, and how could I forget to mention the fact that there's a secret cameo thrown in there that sci-fi fans will appreciate as well?
Simply put, I loved The Cabin in the Woods and had an extremely good time watching it. The CGI is a bit shoddy and it isn't all that scary, but it's hilariously fun and more than deserving of checking out on opening night.

A-

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Deranged Midget

Good review! Too bad I hate horror (jump out at you) type of films.

jeanlucpicard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By jeanlucpicard

Here's what i think of the moive, it looks terrible.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Deranged Midget said:

Thanks. Honestly, the movie is a comedy with horror elements tossed in. It's hilarious and that's why it's a shame the film is being promoted with a focus on the horror. But it's a double-edged sword, because revealing the comedic material could really take away from the twist / highlights.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Deranged Midget

@k4tzm4n said:

@Deranged Midget said:

Thanks. Honestly, the movie is a comedy with horror elements tossed in. It's hilarious and that's why it's a shame the film is being promoted with a focus on the horror. But it's a double-edged sword, because revealing the comedic material could really take away from the twist / highlights.

Lmao, knowing my experience with any type of thriller/horror genres, I'd end up jumping out of my seat or covering my eyes regardless! >.<

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Deranged Midget: LOL. I will confess that one jump scare did get me.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Deranged Midget

@k4tzm4n: See, now multiply that by 100 and you got me in a nutshell XD

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Deranged Midget: lol.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By TDK_1997

I think to watch this movie because I loved the trailer.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

I must say, I strongly agree with the guy on the bottom left.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Alright, it's finally out. So who's seeing it tonight or this weekend?

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Deranged Midget

I'll probably watch this simply due to your recommendation and that Joss Whedon wrote and produced the film.

Now to simply refrain from screaming like a little girl in the movie theater...

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Deranged Midget: LOL. A few scares might get you, but I'm sure you'll laugh more than you'll scream.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Deranged Midget

@k4tzm4n: I'll hold you to that!

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Deranged Midget: If you enjoy Whedon's style of banter, I think my statement will hold true.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Deranged Midget

@k4tzm4n: In Whedon we trust!

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

So who saw it this weekend?

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Deranged Midget

@k4tzm4n said:

So who saw it this weekend?

OH ME! ME! Safe to say, the only horror movie I actually enjoyed.

But I did end up jumping out of my seat a few times...

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Deranged Midget: But did you laugh more than you jumped? :D

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Deranged Midget

@k4tzm4n: Indeed I did. I was actually surprised at that. I half-expected to be mumbling "aww crap aw crap" the entire movie, but it ended quite the opposite. The jumps were really only produced because they were unexpected :P

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Deranged Midget: Huzzah!!!!!!!!!!

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Deranged Midget

@k4tzm4n: Now we wait for the coup de grace... AVENGERS!!!

IN WHEDON WE TRUST!

_Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By _Black

Planning on seeing this Friday.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@CaioTrubat: I'm not a Whedonite. Do I enjoy a fair amount of his work? Absolutely. I loved Astonishing X-Men and think he excels when it comes to banter. He's good at that and I recognize that talent. Do I like stuff like Buffy/Firefly/Dollhouse? Yes, I do. Are they favorites of mine or do I think they deserve high praise? Absolutely not. I think he's a talented writer, not God. Did you even see this movie? One doesn't need to even know who Joss Whedon is to have a lot of fun with it. It's hilarious and a crowd pleaser and seeing that it currently has a 92% on Rotten Tomatoes, I'm clearly not alone in that belief. But, with that kind of first post from you, I can't say I honestly expect this conversation with you to turn into anything positive. I'd like it to, so let's see.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@_Black said:

Planning on seeing this Friday.

Cool. Be sure to chime back in afterwards with your thoughts!

_Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By _Black

@k4tzm4n: Will do, good sir. And nice Kraven avatar by the way.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@_Black: Thanks!

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By Inverno

@k4tzm4n: I am sorry if my post sounded hateful. I didn't mean to offend you or him in person. I can't stand his fans when they attack you for not liking his writing style or most things coming from him in general.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@CaioTrubat: Well, as the writer of the review I felt obligated to stand up for myself ;)

Thank you and that's totally understandable. Well, it sounds like the fans you've had conversations with are just narrow-minded. Everyone likes different things, and if Whedon's work doesn't connect with you, that's fine by mean. Just because I like something doesn't mean I expect you to as well. I won't give you any grief for your personal preferences.

But, if you do end up seeing it (perhaps if friends drag you to it, lol), I'd be curious to hear your thoughts.

Avatar image for texasdeathmatch
texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By texasdeathmatch
@k4tzm4n
Didn't you hear? Chris Nolan is the BEST director. Ever. He should, like, direct every movie. 

But I digress. Despite people's superfluous personal feelings about a f*cking movie director, the film itself was great and fun. The movie took a unique (and I use the word unique lightly, since some film buff is going to whip out some obnoxious indie film and claim "they did it first") approach to the horror genre, and I really enjoyed it.
GTG12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By GTG12

I liked it and thought it was a pretty good blend of scary and comedy.

Though I didnt like the ending because the two left were selfish and in a way what they did make sense but thats not the way I'd do it.... and I loved the scene when the merman eats that one dude it was pretty funny.