Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By comicace3

All feats allowed.

Win by any means necessary.

You can use any well known fighter to create an argument.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By frozen  Moderator

Depends on the individual. If you watch Marcus Davis vs Jason Tan, you have the Boxer actually winning and knocking the BJJ/Muay Thai fighter out, however Davis was largely the better fighter.

For what it's worth, the fighters below would give the toughest challenge to Muay Thai fighters/any fighters (these are all Heavyweights too).

• Either of the Klitschko brothers (as both were professional Kick Boxers before turning Boxers)
  • Lennox Lewis (1999-02)
  • Peak Muhammad Ali (1965-67)
  • Peak Mike Tyson (1986-88)
  • Sonny Liston (59-62)
  • George Foreman (1973-4, 1994-5)

But, as I said - individuals matter, not the martial-art itself.

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It will always come down to the individual's skill and experience.

No Martial Art is better than the other.

mikethekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the Thai clinch is not to be underestimated.

Keenko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

I'd say a boxer.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@mikethekiller said:

the Thai clinch is not to be underestimated.

Neither is speed or pure knockout power - top fighters, such as Muhammad Ali clocked faster than a Welterweight of 147lbs, and Ali was 205-210lbs in his prime. He exactly threw and landed 11 punches in 3 seconds. Mike Tyson, knocked someone out in 8 seconds as a teenager/pre-adult at a Junior Olympic level.

Whereas Sonny Liston, had an insanely long reach of 84 inches and his jab had the equivalent of a Left-Hook.

It depends on the individual. A top, world-class Muay-Thai fighter would pose a threat to the best Boxers, not the lower level Muay-Thai fighters.

Bboyyomama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a match up that actually depends on the fighter. Not how skilled he is, but his way of fighting, tendencies, game plan, etc. people will say that Muay Thai automatically beats boxing because of low kicks, but it's just situational. If you got someone like pacquiao who's just so explosive and in your face, it's kinda hard to throw low kicks. I'd say the Nak Muay wins 6/10.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By frozen  Moderator

This is a match up that actually depends on the fighter. Not how skilled he is, but his way of fighting, tendencies, game plan, etc. people will say that Muay Thai automatically beats boxing because of low kicks, but it's just situational. If you got someone like pacquiao who's just so explosive and in your face, it's kinda hard to throw low kicks. I'd say the Nak Muay wins 6/10.

Can you cite a Muay-Thai fighter to base your argument on?

Gizmorino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I think muay thai fighting style counter's boxing fighting style, maybe because of the leg use/applications. Anyway i feel a muay thai fighter is above a boxer in the same relative level and fighters play about 60% in the victory.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By frozen  Moderator
@gizmorino said:

I think muay thai fighting style counter's boxing fighting style, maybe because of the leg use/applications. Anyway i feel a muay thai fighter is above a boxer in the same relative level and fighters play about 60% in the victory.

It depends on the fighter. A fighter with insane footwork, like Muhammad Ali or Willie Pep could avoid the kicks of a Muay-Thai fighter.

Whereas an explosive fighter like Mike Tyson, could unleash nasty combinations as a counter-measure.

And the Klitschko brothers, impose their massive size and can also kick-box.

Bboyyomama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: I don't understand your question. You're asking me if I know Muay Thai kick boxers? I was citing from experience. Lol. But I'll cite baukaw and dekkers.

Bboyyomama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: you don't avoid leg kicks by just having good footwork. Moving backwards is probably the worst thing you can do against a low kick. You either check it, move forward, or counter. Tyson would have a much better chance against a Thai boxer than Ali would cause he's more aggressive.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 frozen  Moderator

@bboyyomama: A prime Pacquiao could arguably beat Baukaw; additionally, so could prime Marvin Hagler and Tommy Hearns.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By frozen  Moderator
@bboyyomama said:

@frozen: you don't avoid leg kicks by just having good footwork. Moving backwards is probably the worst thing you can do against a low kick. You either check it, move forward, or counter. Tyson would have a much better chance against a Thai boxer than Ali would cause he's more aggressive.

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/YcFN2Xbxkls/

Marcus Davis did exactly that. He avoided low leg kicks by using his foot-work to move away. His reactions were fast enough. The video does not represent every encounter but Muhammad Ali is a staple because of immense footwork, speed and reaction: a prime Muhammad Ali could feasibly accomplish it.

Mike Tyson's style works differently. He'd probably do better against a Muay-Thai fighter yet lose to Ali.

Gizmorino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@frozen: well i have no debate for muay-thai fighters but based on what i heard and have seen they kinda cancell out boxers(boxers are faster than them and have faster thrust speed but i THINK a thai fighter has better destructive cap and footwork than a boxer)

mikethekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thai boxing is more versatile over all.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Weight class determines it. Muay Thai has an advantage in skill but if the boxer has more reach and heavier punches its a mismatch. If both opponents weigh the same Muay Thai stomps.

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Leg kicks are something you can't withstand without training, it's like standing in quicksand. Muay Thai guy wins.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Leg kicks are something you can't withstand without training, it's like standing in quicksand. Muay Thai guy wins.

Aren't all kicks with your legs? That's like saying hand punch.

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SheenLantern

@dngn4774: Kicks that are to the legs, Einstein.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BullPR

Martial art are like weapons in my opinion: it's the person behind that is dangerous, skilled, important etc...

Anyway, just for the pleasure of the discussion: in a street fight against several people a good boxer would have a better chance.

In a one to one, I would probably pick BJJ.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bullpr said:

Martial art are like weapons in my opinion: it's the person behind that is dangerous, skilled, important etc...

Anyway, just for the pleasure of the discussion: in a street fight against several people a good boxer would have a better chance.

In a one to one, I would probably pick BJJ.

don't you mean Muay Thai?

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mr_Clockwork91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of muay thai fighters don't move very much, they use their reach to breakdown their opponents that came straight in, I bet if you have a boxer that moves a lot, the boxer would win.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It will always come down to the individual's skill and experience.

No Martial Art is better than the other.

Some arts are more effective/versatile than others though.

Thitiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Thitiki
Jezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So... McGregor vs Aldo?

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 King_Saturn  Online

Ernesto Hoost vs Larry Holmes

Buakaw vs Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Cro Cop vs Evander Holyfield

Avatar image for deactivated-5a937e573d769
deactivated-5a937e573d769

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Savate beats Muay Thai any day but yeah a Boxer doesn't even have an answer for simple straight/front kick.

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thitiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Emperorb777

I'd pick the Muay Thai fighter if the fighter are even physically mostly because the Muay Thai fighter has more weapons at his use.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If say muay Thai. Moslty due to kicks and elbows and knees. Speed would probably be the biggest problem from the mauy Thai fighter.

SheenLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thitiki: What the f*** are you talking about?

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 King_Saturn  Online

@frozen said:

Depends on the individual. If you watch Marcus Davis vs Jason Tan, you have the Boxer actually winning and knocking the BJJ/Muay Thai fighter out, however Davis was largely the better fighter.

For what it's worth, the fighters below would give the toughest challenge to Muay Thai fighters/any fighters (these are all Heavyweights too).

• Either of the Klitschko brothers (as both were professional Kick Boxers before turning Boxers)
  • Lennox Lewis (1999-02)
  • Peak Muhammad Ali (1965-67)
  • Peak Mike Tyson (1986-88)
  • Sonny Liston (59-62)
  • George Foreman (1973-4, 1994-5)

But, as I said - individuals matter, not the martial-art itself.

I am curious why you only included Heavyweights as the toughest opponents to Muay Thai fighters... cause personally I think Sugar Ray Leonard or even Manny Pacquiao would be just as tough of opponents for Muay Thai fighters in their respected weight classes...

Floyd Mayweather Jr vs Buakaw would be fun to watch...

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 frozen  Moderator

@king_saturn: The Heavyweights I suppose would be better against heavier Muay-Thai fighters. But I agree there are Boxers in lower weight-classes, Sugar Ray Leonard and Manny Pacquiao are both very fast.

Roberto Duran would also be an ideal fighter in a hypothetical match-up; as would Aaron Pryor.

That would be an interesting match indeed; especially if we compare a younger and lighter Mayweather with Buakaw at his lightest. Gennday Golovkin would be an interesting match too.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 King_Saturn  Online

@frozen said:

@king_saturn: The Heavyweights I suppose would be better against heavier Muay-Thai fighters. But I agree there are Boxers in lower weight-classes, Sugar Ray Leonard and Manny Pacquiao are both very fast.

Roberto Duran would also be an ideal fighter in a hypothetical match-up; as would Aaron Pryor.

That would be an interesting match indeed; especially if we compare a younger and lighter Mayweather with Buakaw at his lightest. Gennday Golovkin would be an interesting match too.

Oh I get that... I was just wondering why you only included the Heavyweights.

Now Gennady Golovkin would be an interesting fight for a Muay Thai Striker... GGG vs Giorgio Petrosyan would be something to see...

mikethekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By mikethekiller

@frozen said:

Oh I get that... I was just wondering why you only included the Heavyweights.

Now Gennady Golovkin would be an interesting fight for a Muay Thai Striker... GGG vs Giorgio Petrosyan would be something to see...

I've always felt that he Giorgio would tool most boxer.

Jmarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best Muy Thai practitioner > Best Boxer.

Jmarshmallow

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By comicace3
LeeM724

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Assuming all physical characteristics are close to equal (e.g. both fight in the same weight class) the Muay Thai fighter has the advantage.

Low kicks are kryptonite to a boxer, takes away their main advantage which is mobility, takes away their ability to slip, takes away the power from their punches.

Unless it's an early KO, the Thai fighter wins.

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Muay Thai Master wins

TonyStark6999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Buckwheat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on the martial artist, not the martial art. Plenty of styles have differences and some are more versatile than others. But versatility =/= superiority, sometimes it just gives you more tools to delay the inevitable