• 104 results
Avatar image for living_monstrosity
Living_Monstrosity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Once upon a time the battles thread was fun. People could post battles of any type and people had a great time debating. There were lengthy threads where people could speculate whether a character from one series could beat a character from another series, and while there were flame wars and trolls at least a plethora of scans would be posted and everyone could learn something from those stating their case as well as get some entertainment value. But somewhere down the line Comicvine decided that this sort of fun was not to be tolerated.

What exactly is the purpose of the battles forum if there's a huge page of rules that bans so many of these battles? The battles rules are almost a total contradiction in that it says 'be creative' but then bans a bunch of things. No DBZ vs comic characters, no universe vs universe, restrictions on team vs team battles, having restrictions on what buffs or handicaps characters in battle threads are allowed to have, etc.

Seems to me like all these rules are in place simply so moderators don't have to moderate, in which case there's hardly even a point to having forum moderators. Some of the rules that are there just seem to be in place because some mods have an elitist mentality and don't want to bother reading battles that they consider 'stupid' or are below or outside their realm of interest.

How about instead of old timer moderators nominating their buddies to take new moderator slots and those moderators adding all sorts of needless rules just to make their job easier and the site less fun for everyone, why doesn't CV add moderators that have the dedication or time to moderate, removing the need to have all these restrictions? I mean the battles forum may as well just be locked for all new topics and it can just be turned into an archive where people can only browse old topics.

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles-7/battle-forum-rules-2-0-compulsory-reading-1505000/#0

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By CheeseSticks

Stop whining. No one wants Manga vs Comics battles.

Avatar image for living_monstrosity
Living_Monstrosity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because you clearly = everyone.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad
deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Not saying I agree with him. But manga vs comics battles can be fun.

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cheesesticks said:

Because you clearly = everyone.

Go make a Manga vs Comics battle in the battle forum and you'll see what i'm talking about. There's too much difference between these two universe to make good arguments.

Pope052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Pope052
nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pope052 said:

@cheesesticks:

That is your opinion, you spoke for everyone.

I agree with him, but I also realize that I, in no way, speak for everyone. In fact, I only speak for myself. :P

Pope052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Pope052

@nerdork:

Exactly. I never implied that no one agrees with him (because there are obviously a lot of people who do), but he spoke for everyone.

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CheeseSticks

@pope052: Go take a look at some closed battle thread. You'll see that the majority of the users don't want that. Stop seeing just my message and take a look yourself.

Pope052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Pope052

@cheesesticks:

Even if I was the only one who disagreed with you, that is still not everyone. And everyone is who you spoke for.

Learn the difference between a majority, and an entire basis.

FukYouRenchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

No DBZ vs comic characters,

75.8% of DBZ thread(s) ended up in flame wars.

no universe vs universe,

If Universe A has an omnipotent and Universe B doesn't, It automatically wins. If Universe A and B have omnipotent(s) it is an stalemate.

restrictions on team vs team battles,

If you specify X goes after X then you can have as many people as you want as you know they will be fighting. If you throw 30 characters on one team and 30 on another and say "fight" with no added rules,how are we supposed to know who is going to fight who? Will Black Panther go after Captain America or Green Arrow? Will Carnage go after Batman or Nick Fury?

having restrictions on what buffs or handicaps characters in battle threads are allowed to have, etc.

As long as you don't blow it out of proportion it's fine. Giving Batman: Wolverine's powers and abilities is fine. Giving Nightwing a Green Lantern Ring, Mjolnir and Ironman armour is not.

CheeseSticks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CheeseSticks

@pope052: Oh for the love of god, stop arguing for nothing. Rules are made for the majority, what do you expect? The mods will see that three users wants to bring back the comics vs manga battles so they'll cancel the rules? Please.

Pope052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Pope052

@cheesesticks:

I never made that implication. I'm simply stating that you made a statement which spoke for everyone, but obviously not everyone agrees.

jwwprod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By jwwprod

@living_monstrosity: If you don't like then talk to the mods instead of making a thread about you hating the battle forum rules because I (and I'am sure many other people) actually don't mind the rules (though there are some parts of the rules that I do disagree with).

Or you can go and post on the other forums like the RPG forums because they are actually a bit more fun then the battle forums if you ask me.

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By russellmania77

yes

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1
deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TL:DR

PotatoOfDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is this? Someone with a opinion?...

KILL THE UNBELIEVER!

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Manga Vs Comics Battle are fun except for G Vs S.

ximpossibrux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KILL THE UNBELIEVER!

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Stop whining. No one wants Manga vs Comics DBZ battles.

fixed

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TL:DR

Somebody wants shitty Vs thread to be allowed

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I disagree with a lot of the rules, but hey, it's their board and they have the right to impose any rules they want.

RoyceLunar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wankers and Low-Ballers are the problem.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm content with them.

RoyceLunar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mitran said:

The rules suck? Battle forum would suck a helluva lot more than that without those rules. Just because you can't make a bad thread does not mean the rules need "fixing."

And our mods are awesome.

Kiss Ass. Oh! I agree. :p

Yokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@living_monstrosity:

I think the rules are awesome. All the DBZ battles are annoying and the universe battles never work.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6746eab553d
deactivated-5d6746eab553d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3 letters WTF

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#31  Edited By GraniteSoldier

Universe vs Universe always has way, way too many variables to be an effective debate.

DBZ threads can be interesting, but the problem is the DBZ universe can be pretty hard to compare to any comic universe because their Earth, solar systems, and hell even regular populations vary greatly compared to anything in Marvel or DC. Hence, it ends up becoming a flame war, because of the inconsistencies between the universes end up resulting in assumptions. Since the feats are harder to quantify and compare, people take the assumptions as feats, and it starts falling apart into name calling really fast. I don't mind a good DBZ debate, but they are hard to do. As for other animes/mangas, I do read or watch hardly any, if any at all, so I can't comment on others.

Buffs are sometimes hard to debate with because how do we know Batman will know how to effectively use the Venom symbiote without it driving him bonkers? Or Hulk with a Red Lantern ring? Especially cross-universe buffs. It can make things interesting, but I don't think enough time and thought is often put into them that the buff can actually help the person, as we have nothing to show they'll effectively use the buff. Again, we can assume, but most people prefer stone-cold feats, which the buffs don't usually have.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By HumanRocket

KILL THE UNBELIEVER!

Thitiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Thitiki
god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#35 god_spawn  Moderator

darkbeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@god_spawn: lol God Spawn you never cease to amaze.

NighThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KILL THE UNBELIEVER!

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By Bruxae

How about you PM a mod about your suggested changes or make a poll, anything? The reason no one is taking this post seriously is because its just another childish rant about how things against your opinion suck. You never considered the rules might be there for I dunno.. a reason perhaps?

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Mods aren't lazy they create rules to keep some semblance of order, what's with people complaining about not having flame wars? Why would you want a thread full of wild speculation with no definitive facts via scans? How exactly do you learn does anyone learn or gain interest in anything that's laden with explosive hyperbole? To quote Robert Mckee "A good writer works best by creatively maneuvering through the parameters set." There is no good debater on here that doesn't work with in the parameters of the rules posted, so why can't everyone? Just get your weight up and learn to make a battle you can with with the knowledge and scans you have.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

Everyone has their own opinion but in this case the mods have done well with the rules.The kind of battles that are banned have never ended well when they were allowed.They always started flamewars or arguments in which both sides are wrong.The rules are well constructed so that trolls and troll threads cannot be created and we can't get in an argument that is just going to end badly and in the worst case scenario - one of the users or even both are going to get banned.

The_Flock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought this was going to be just another angry rant when I clicked on the thread but I admit you made some solid points.

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Simply put: You can't please everybody.

If i want to be completely honest, i spend much less time in the battle forums now, and more time in gen. discussion & off-topic. Even with all the rules set in place, fans will still be fans. Many will claim winners without giving reasons or pick one just because they like them better. Maybe it's human nature or some deep stuff like that...

"Fans will still be fans" - BlackLegRaph.

Avatar image for herokiller12344
Herokiller12344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems to me like all these rules are in place simply so moderators don't have to moderate, in which case there's hardly even a point to having forum moderators. Some of the rules that are there just seem to be in place because some mods have an elitist mentality and don't want to bother reading battles that they consider 'stupid' or are below or outside their realm of interest.

I feel like this is a big problem with the Battle Forums. The elitist mentality that EVERY battle is just another spite thread. Okay, if OP seriously thought that tis could go either way. He wouldn't of posted it. I can' be the only one that's sick of that, right?

But honestly, DBZ vs Comic battles never go anywhere because diehard DBZ fans think Goku is omnipotent and diehard comic fans thinks Goku is a wuss, and ignore all of his feats. So of course it'd never end in anything but namecalling and condescension.

Speak for yourself buddy.

hudyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By hudyman

Once upon a time the battles thread was fun. People could post battles of any type and people had a great time debating. There were lengthy threads where people could speculate whether a character from one series could beat a character from another series, and while there were flame wars and trolls at least a plethora of scans would be posted and everyone could learn something from those stating their case as well as get some entertainment value. But somewhere down the line Comicvine decided that this sort of fun was not to be tolerated.

What exactly is the purpose of the battles forum if there's a huge page of rules that bans so many of these battles? The battles rules are almost a total contradiction in that it says 'be creative' but then bans a bunch of things. No DBZ vs comic characters, no universe vs universe, restrictions on team vs team battles, having restrictions on what buffs or handicaps characters in battle threads are allowed to have, etc.

How about instead of old timer moderators nominating their buddies to take new moderator slots and those moderators adding all sorts of needless rules just to make their job easier and the site less fun for everyone, why doesn't CV add moderators that have the dedication or time to moderate, removing the need to have all these restrictions? I mean the battles forum may as well just be locked for all new topics and it can just be turned into an archive where people can only browse old topics.

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles-7/battle-forum-rules-2-0-compulsory-reading-1505000/#0

I completely agree with everything you said, seriously you took the words directly out of my mouth.

However in terms of the DBZ vs Comic they do have a slight answer for that which justifies it in some way. This is a comic site.

Although i think people on comic vine ( the ones who complain to the mods about certain things ) are the ones who initially ruin the battle for everyone. If you dont like a certain universe vs universe battle, the solution is very very simple. Just leave. I literally loathe when is see a battle with serious potential and excitedly scroll down to see the first comment which happens to be someone who has tagged all the mods they can think of. I mean i understand restrictions but people on comic vine are never going to learn about these flame wars if they dont happen, seriously , there should be less focus on banning things and more on just letting them happen, eventually comic vine is going to be a strict place where you can only post battles from DC and Marvel and as we can all tell, that is already happening. These are some of the reasons i dont bother to post battles up again and turn to the off topic section, the battle section simply isn't interesting with all its restrictions. Occasionally i will find an interesting enough battle but 8/10 the battle ends up locked.

Putting restrictions are never the answer, no matter how justified the reason may be.

Just in case any of you feel like exploding your feelings on me, just know that i am giving my " two cents " as you americans would call it, its not to be taken offensively.

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@norrinboltagonprime21: That gif is your trademark the same way Wolverine has "Let the Games Begin" xD

I never get tired of it lol

CF12793

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This has nothing to do with the OP, but for like a week, can we try specifically using characters in Battles that aren't always the A listers? I mean, I love a good Wolverine vs. Spiderman thread, or Thor vs. Superman, only that they've been done in billions of variations and I'm sick of seeing them.

It would be cool to try and use only B and C list characters, more characters that haven't been used in battles or aren't normally used in battles.

hart7668

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm just curious; this is simply my intellectual curiosity:

How does making rules on a particular forum board make things easier for the moderators (hence, you called them "lazy") when, in order for the rules to actually be followed they have to be, you know, what's the word? oh yes ENFORCED. As such, since the mods were the ones making the rules, they also have to make sure they're being followed. In other words, they're probably pretty florpin' BUSY.

GoldenOozaru22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By GoldenOozaru22

@living_monstrosity: I agree, there should be no rules on who you want to battle, taking that out has made a lot of people not join comicvine. I joined only to talk about superman vs goku, then I found out its banned.....so now I rarely go on here....

Restrictions make it boring.

BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING

14NC3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#49  Edited By 14NC3

@pr0metheus said:

No DBZ vs comic characters,

75.8% of DBZ thread(s) ended up in flame wars.

no universe vs universe,

If Universe A has an omnipotent and Universe B doesn't, It automatically wins. If Universe A and B have omnipotent(s) it is an stalemate.

restrictions on team vs team battles,

If you specify X goes after X then you can have as many people as you want as you know they will be fighting. If you throw 30 characters on one team and 30 on another and say "fight" with no added rules,how are we supposed to know who is going to fight who? Will Black Panther go after Captain America or Green Arrow? Will Carnage go after Batman or Nick Fury?

having restrictions on what buffs or handicaps characters in battle threads are allowed to have, etc.

As long as you don't blow it out of proportion it's fine. Giving Batman: Wolverine's powers and abilities is fine. Giving Nightwing a Green Lantern Ring, Mjolnir and Ironman armour is not.

@living_monstrosity : owned

14NC3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I laugh at it whenever you post this and I still don't know why XD Please explain the meaning of the gif.