The Atheist Thread

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@mrdecepticonleader:

Sounds about right. Thanks and lol @consolemaster001 - I managed to get your joke but mostly because this is how you and I communicate, mostly.

@lvenger said:

Oh there's an atheist thread now? Coolio. Did anyone else love that scene in Cornell's run where Lex explains his atheism? I mean, not that Lex Luthor is a role model atheist by any stretch of the imagination but his conversation with Death about this was awesome IMO

I have to read that -- so many people speak of it, it's sinful I haven't read it by now.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@lykopis said:

@mrdecepticonleader:

Sounds about right. Thanks and lol @consolemaster001 - I managed to get your joke but mostly because this is how you and I communicate, mostly.

It does? Was just a theory really. Kinda wish I could talk to the OP personally to gain their perspective to actually clarify things.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I realize I'm doing it now but this bothers me. Why is it when a person makes a "Theist Only" thread Atheist show up? And when a person makes a "Atheist Only Thread" Theist show up? We have a religion thread for everyone, so let certain groups have their own thread. I will be deleting this post soon, so my hypocrisy can be hidden.

kuonphobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@pooty said:

I realize I'm doing it now but this bothers me. Why is it when a person makes a "Theist Only" thread Atheist show up? And when a person makes a "Atheist Only Thread" Theist show up? We have a religion thread for everyone, so let certain groups have their own thread. I will be deleting this post soon, so my hypocrisy can be hidden.

I agree but I personally don't think it is either valuable or practically possible to have a thread which excludes potential critics. I also think it is impossible to have a thread which can be free of "drive by" flippancy from theists, atheists, anti-theists, Storm enthusiasts, haters of Nolan Batman, whatever.

There have been a few occasions when it would have been beneficial to have a place to discuss/debate the definition of "atheist" and "atheism". Why be concerned about genuine criticism if your arguments are valid?

Although my personal view is that "atheism" is just one competing worldview which along with "religion", "science" and "philosophy" are all valid attempts to explain reality and are therefore all basically in the same pot.

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kuonphobos: but I personally don't think it is either valuable or practically possible to have a thread which excludes potential critics

Sadly, It is not practical but i think it would be valuable for the reason i'm about to state.

Why be concerned about genuine criticism if your arguments are valid?

Everything doesn't have to be an argument or criticized . Let people of like mind enjoy each others company. I would hate for a anti-comic person to join just to demean comic readers. Judgements and criticism is not needed in every aspect of life. Also, there is a religion thread where EVERYONE can participate.

There have been a few occasions when it would have been beneficial to have a place to discuss/debate the definition of "atheist" and "atheism

The religion thread is just for that. The definition has been discussed many times.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Atheists,you people are wrong,GOD IS ALMIGHTY AND IF YOU NOT ACCEPT HIM YOU GO TO HELL!

Do we get prep? If so hell loses in a spite match.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By willpayton

Although my personal view is that "atheism" is just one competing worldview which along with "religion", "science" and "philosophy" are all valid attempts to explain reality and are therefore all basically in the same pot.

Atheism in general is not a worldview. Positive Atheism could be said to be as much, but generally "atheism" just means a lack of belief in a god or gods. A lack of belief is not a belief.

Science is likewise not a worldview, although I understand that you're talking about ways of learning about and explaining reality. Maybe materialism is a better term.

But, I would argue that religion is not a "valid" method of attempting to explain reality, since it relies on the supernatural. In order to attempt to explain reality you have to presuppose that logic is a fundamental principle, and that there is a set of physical laws that govern the universe. So, "attempting to explain reality" is just the process of finding out what those laws and logic are. Resorting to the supernatural is simply throwing up your hands and saying "I give up". Without logic or reason you cant really know anything for certain, not even the idea that you cant know anything for certain. It's a dead end and a waste of time.

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has anyone seen this ?

Loading Video...

Sickens me.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By willpayton

Has anyone seen this ?

Loading Video...

Hmmm... never seen it. What is it? I recognize the actor playing the father.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cable_extreme: The black community and religion: as hypocrisy near it's finest.

*open's hornet's nest, has actual points*

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Has anyone seen this ?

Loading Video...

worst happy ending ever? lol

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccraft said:

@king_saturn said:

Has anyone seen this ?

worst happy ending ever? lol

Well, that dude definitely dodged a bullet, if a little late. That's why I prefer to discuss religion by the 2nd date to weed out the religious nutcases.

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cable_extreme: The black community and religion: as hypocrisy near it's finest.

*open's hornet's nest, has actual points*

Quite true indeed.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willpayton: good point, I hope I never get in a situation like this

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pooty said:

@willpayton: are you a positive or a negative atheist?

I'm a positive atheist. While not with 100% certainty (what is?), I'm convinced that nothing supernatural (including God/gods) exists. Even if the universe was indeed created by an intelligence, or is a hologram, or simulation, or whatever, I have no doubt that a logical, physical explanation exists for everything.

If I had to give reasons for my belief, I'd say:

1. The supernatural in any form goes against logic. Hence, nothing supernatural can exist.

2. If anything supernatural did exist, especially considering all the stories over history, some good evidence would almost certainly also exist. So far I've seen zero good evidence, which leads me to believe it does in fact not exist. If anything, all the many contradictory and ever changing religions is exactly what you'd expect if it was all made up. Not just that, but almost every truth claim that religions have made have been contradicted by facts and science.

3. The universe is entirely consistent with there being no gods or anything supernatural. So far everything we know about physics supports this. Occam's Razor suggests that no other explanation is needed.

I think any one of those 3 is enough, but all together should give any rational person reason to believe that the supernatural is as made up as Santa Claus.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pooty said:

I'm a positive atheist. While not with 100% certainty (what is?), I'm convinced that nothing supernatural (including God/gods) exists. Even if the universe was indeed created by an intelligence, or is a hologram, or simulation, or whatever, I have no doubt that a logical, physical explanation exists for everything.

1. The supernatural in any form goes against logic. Hence, nothing supernatural can exist.

2. If anything supernatural did exist, especially considering all the stories over history, some good evidence would almost certainly also exist. So far I've seen zero good evidence, which leads me to believe it does in fact not exist. If anything, all the many contradictory and ever changing religions is exactly what you'd expect if it was all made up. Not just that, but almost every truth claim that religions have made have been contradicted by facts and science.

3. The universe is entirely consistent with there being no gods or anything supernatural. So far everything we know about physics supports this. Occam's Razor suggests that no other explanation is needed.

I think any one of those 3 is enough, but all together should give any rational person reason to believe that the supernatural is as made up as Santa Claus.

This.

(I know I wasn't asked but it is a great post that I agree with, and is where I stand with things too)

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@king_saturn said:

Has anyone seen this ?

Loading Video...

It's from a TV Show called Belle's

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willpayton: those are 3 very good reasons and they make more sense then the "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" that theist love.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willpayton said:

@pooty said:

This.

(I know I wasn't asked but it is a great post that I agree with, and is where I stand with things too)

@pooty said:

@willpayton: those are 3 very good reasons and they make more sense then the "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence" that theist love.

Thank you!

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willpayton said:

@king_saturn said:

Has anyone seen this ?

It makes me wonder what the philosophy of the show and the writers is. What are they trying to do with the show and with that particular storyline? I mean, the family comes across so badly, especially considering that the "atheist" is a well-spoken, polite, and intelligent guy that I think most parents would be happy with. Also, that woman comes across as a total bitch/fanatic who cares more about her religion than the love of a legitimately nice guy. And, her dad seems like he'd be happier if she was dating a drug dealer, as long as he was of the right religion. I wonder if it's a continuing storyline where eventually we see the family change their views, or something else.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Atheists,you people are wrong,GOD IS ALMIGHTY AND IF YOU NOT ACCEPT HIM YOU GO TO HELL!

Can I read comics in hell?

OverLordArhas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

@theviperrko said:

I think that guy is already banned

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@peppeyhare said:

@theviperrko said:

I think that guy is already banned

This is a spite match. With ot without prep, Hell loses in a landslide.

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@king_saturn said:

@willpayton said:

@king_saturn said:

Has anyone seen this ?

It makes me wonder what the philosophy of the show and the writers is. What are they trying to do with the show and with that particular storyline? I mean, the family comes across so badly, especially considering that the "atheist" is a well-spoken, polite, and intelligent guy that I think most parents would be happy with. Also, that woman comes across as a total bitch/fanatic who cares more about her religion than the love of a legitimately nice guy. And, her dad seems like he'd be happier if she was dating a drug dealer, as long as he was of the right religion. I wonder if it's a continuing storyline where eventually we see the family change their views, or something else.

That video is quite sickening to stomach, but that is the reality of being an Atheist. Me being in Texas can tell you of at least 3 times this has happened to me.

kuonphobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pooty said:

@kuonphobos: but I personally don't think it is either valuable or practically possible to have a thread which excludes potential critics

Sadly, It is not practical but i think it would be valuable for the reason i'm about to state.

Why be concerned about genuine criticism if your arguments are valid?

Everything doesn't have to be an argument or criticized . Let people of like mind enjoy each others company. I would hate for a anti-comic person to join just to demean comic readers. Judgements and criticism is not needed in every aspect of life. Also, there is a religion thread where EVERYONE can participate.

There have been a few occasions when it would have been beneficial to have a place to discuss/debate the definition of "atheist" and "atheism

The religion thread is just for that. The definition has been discussed many times.

I totally agree with you that everything doesn't have to be an argument or criticized. For me that is an obvious point which I was assuming to be so true that it really doesn't need to be mentioned.

What I was specifically considering was the possibility of having any thread which maintains the type of hopeful perspective you (and others) seem to want where ONLY those who understand the underlying premise participate and where everyone adheres to some set of rules. That just isn't ever going to be possible. Just as a thread which hopes to be a place where likeminded "theists" hang out. Just isn't going to happen. Not on the internet anyways.

While I think I ultimately agreed with you that for me the religion thread is a good place to discuss the philosophical qualities of the concept of "atheist" and "atheism" it is clear to me that not everyone agrees with this assessment and a thread which is specifically set up to discuss the merits of the idea of "atheist" and all the permutations which grow from that understanding of reality might be beneficial. You know as well as I do that the religion thread is so convoluted that just avoiding it for a few weeks will put one so far behind that an attempt to "catch up" much less respond to all the ideas presented which one may take issue with that it becomes quite a daunting prospect. So some arguments/discussions/debates get missed entirely.

Also many folks probably just skip a thread with "religion" in it's title.

That is all I was trying to say.

@kuonphobos said:

Atheism in general is not a worldview. Positive Atheism could be said to be as much, but generally "atheism" just means a lack of belief in a god or gods. A lack of belief is not a belief.

Science is likewise not a worldview, although I understand that you're talking about ways of learning about and explaining reality. Maybe materialism is a better term.

But, I would argue that religion is not a "valid" method of attempting to explain reality, since it relies on the supernatural. In order to attempt to explain reality you have to presuppose that logic is a fundamental principle, and that there is a set of physical laws that govern the universe. So, "attempting to explain reality" is just the process of finding out what those laws and logic are. Resorting to the supernatural is simply throwing up your hands and saying "I give up". Without logic or reason you cant really know anything for certain, not even the idea that you cant know anything for certain. It's a dead end and a waste of time.

As I discussed briefly with mrdecipticonleader , it is my opinion that if we keep insisting on setting the parameters for any discussion to a strict an adherence to only the minimal definition of "atheism" which you (and others) keep insisting upon then I agree with you (and others) that there isn't much to be said. One states a definition then all move on. But as you have actually just confirmed the concept of "atheism" also encompasses the philosophical and behavioral impact upon a person's worldview when they begin with the presupposition of atheism.

I guess for me I don't like to play games so I go straight for the lowest possible comprehensible idea upon which other things are constructed. For instance as I have pointed out time and time again the presupposition of materialism. You are correct to say that it is a "worldview" but incorrect (I think) to say that science is not. Now strictly speaking I agree with your point, but my point is that since science is built upon the presupposition of materialism (as is atheism I believe) then it follows that science and atheism are materialist worldviews. I understand that you are talking about something else entirely in your disagreement but I am only attempting to lay out my position. If an atheist would also take a moment to say that they were an atheist/materialist then such word games would not be necessary. However since materialism is assumed to be an underlying presupposition of atheism then atheism (in that light) can be seen as a worldview.

Your final point is one we have discussed many times. You begin from the presupposition of materialism and from that position all of your points are valid. I value science but do not begin from a presupposition of materialism so none of your parameters ie logic (as you define it), physical laws (as you define them) reason (as you define it) are valid for me. There simply is more that these things cannot touch or even admit are within the realm of possibility. Now does this mean I don't value logic, the physical laws (or our ability to observe and comprehend them) or reason? No it doesn't. In fact I value them very highly. It is just for me they are not fully sufficient to observe or comprehend all of reality. Most maybe, but not all. Will some things which are understood to be supernatural one day be understood as natural? Certainly. Will all things? Not necessarily.

So since a materialistic/empirical worldview is insufficient to recognize or comprehend all phenomena it follows that other disciplines (whatever one wishes to call them ie supernatural, metaphysical, preternatural, etc) have value. And if one were to presuppose that it is just this tiny fragment of phenomena which is outside of logic, science, reason etc ability which holds the greatest level of importance and meaning then is moves from valuable to indispensable.

And one more thing. Since my position (supernatural) sends the materialist into the position of "then nothing can be knowable so lets throw our hands up" I can understand why the materialist feels so extremely threatened and NEEDS to invalidate by what ever method possible anything which throws his system into disarray. For me this is further proof that the materialist has just as much "faith" in his presupposition of materialism which in reality he is no more able to demonstrate as truth than any other competing truth claim ie worldview. Do do so the materialist must invoke the very presupposition he assumes which then becomes circular.

kuonphobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By kuonphobos

@willpayton said:

@king_saturn said:

Has anyone seen this ?

Loading Video...

This clip (IMO) is so full of stereotypes about Christianity that I cannot help but feel the producers are actually pro-atheist in this scenario.

Now I don't watch the show so I don't have any context for a proper evaluation but from my POV it appears here that the atheist (Richard T. Jones) is the hero and the family is composed of religious bigots and buffoons. Even the analogy given of the "fox-hole" prayer is ridiculous. The comment or conclusion that an "atheist" can't be forgiven "until He (God) gets around to him" is heterodox to traditional Christian thought. Basically this is either an example of heterodox Christianity or a straw man argument.

Also, even the atheist seemed to set the two varying positions against one another as if somehow his understanding of "atheism" is actually "anti-theism". This again could just be down to the writers simplistic comprehension of these ideas.

SMH

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@king_saturn said:

@willpayton said:

@king_saturn said:

Has anyone seen this ?

Well it's a show that airs on an African American Based Channel ( TV One ) so it's made for predominately Black Christian Folks since the majority of Blacks tend to be Christian... I guess the more interesting idea is that this seems to be a very acceptable view that Blacks hold of Atheists as there was really no backlash about this episode or this show.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@king_saturn said:

@willpayton said:

@king_saturn said:

Has anyone seen this ?

Loading Video...

This clip (IMO) is so full of stereotypes about Christianity that I cannot help but feel the producers are actually pro-atheist in this scenario.

Now I don't watch the show so I don't have any context for a proper evaluation but from my POV it appears here that the atheist (Richard T. Jones) is the hero and the family is composed of religious bigots and buffoons. Even the analogy given of the "fox-hole" prayer is ridiculous. The comment or conclusion that an "atheist" can't be forgiven "until He (God) gets around to him" is heterodox to traditional Christian thought. Basically this is either an example of heterodox Christianity or a straw man argument.

Also, even the atheist seemed to set the two varying positions against one another as if somehow his understanding of "atheism" is actually "anti-theism". This again could just be down to the writers simplistic comprehension of these ideas.

SMH

The show Belle's airs on a predominately African American channel... so I don't think the Producers are Pro Atheist at all. Most of the material on the channel is tailor made for African Americans ( Living Single, What's Happening, The Jeffersons, That's My Mama, A Different World, etc ) ... and considering 80 - 89 percent of African Americans are Christian... I am not surprised at all that this type of material was acceptable as there was no immediate backlash for this segment of the show. Lots of Blacks who are Christian do take a rather Interesting View on Atheists... especially a Black Person coming out as an Atheist...

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll hit just a couple of your points that I thought were the main ones for the sake of brevity.

I value science but do not begin from a presupposition of materialism so none of your parameters ie logic (as you define it), physical laws (as you define them) reason (as you define it) are valid for me. There simply is more that these things cannot touch or even admit are within the realm of possibility. Now does this mean I don't value logic, the physical laws (or our ability to observe and comprehend them) or reason? No it doesn't. In fact I value them very highly.

Notice I put logic up in my #1 point. This is because IMO logic is the #1 presupposition in order to know anything about the universe. If you believe that logic is not a universal constant and is not applicable always and everywhere, then on what do you base any conclusions?

How do you support the claim of "There simply is more that these things cannot touch or even admit are within the realm of possibility"? You have already taken logic out of the equation, since you dont believe it's a universal law that logic always applies, so you cant give me a logical argument to support your claim. So, what IS your argument?

So since a materialistic/empirical worldview is insufficient to recognize or comprehend all phenomena it follows that other disciplines (whatever one wishes to call them ie supernatural, metaphysical, preternatural, etc) have value.

I disagree that a materialistic/empirical worldview is insufficient to comprehend all phenomena. You didnt prove this to be the case above, only asserted it.

And one more thing. Since my position (supernatural) sends the materialist into the position of "then nothing can be knowable so lets throw our hands up" I can understand why the materialist feels so extremely threatened and NEEDS to invalidate by what ever method possible anything which throws his system into disarray. For me this is further proof that the materialist has just as much "faith" in his presupposition of materialism which in reality he is no more able to demonstrate as truth than any other competing truth claim ie worldview. Do do so the materialist must invoke the very presupposition he assumes which then becomes circular.

There is only one element of "faith" that a materialist needs, which is the assumption that the rules of logic are a universal and always apply. Everything else follows from there including all of mathematics, physics, and the principles on which science are based including materialism.

You could say that the idea of the supernatural "threatens" materialism, in the sense that it's a competing worldview, but from a materialist point of view I dont see the problem. You cant defend the supernatural with logic (since you have ruled it out as something that always applies), and I'm not sure what you CAN defend it with. (hence my initial questions above)

Lastly, materialism isnt circular, it simply always assumes those things (i.e. the rules of logic) on which it is based. If it were circular then it would try to prove logic with other ideas that are derived from logic, which is not the case. An actual example of a circular argument is as follows:

1. The Bible is true because it was written by God.

2. God wrote the Bible because it says so in the Bible, which is known to be true.

Each of statement 1 and 2 supports the other entirely and without external proof.

Mattersuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fascinating. Didn't even know this thread existed.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#136  Edited By SaintWildcard

Only atheists and agnostics? Left out again, its elementary school all over again

No Caption Provided

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hero92 said:

Only atheists and agnostics? Left out again, its elementary school all over again

No Caption Provided

Lol, join the party if you wish.

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Hey guys, watch this video if you appreciate science.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willpayton said:

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2013/09/09/fox-news-host-atheists-dont-have-to-live-here/#comments

Fox News (or at least some of the tools that work there) wants atheists to leave the country. Fox News is apparently fed up with all this wanting separation of church and state... and I guess it's anti-American that we keep asking for it.

Loading Video...

This is sickening to watch.

Pretty much.

The Founding Fathers knew very well the dangers of intertwining religion and politics, something that you'd imagine we would have learned and fully grasped hundreds of years since. Especially when we look at what happens in theocracies around the world, it should be self-evident that whether you're an atheist or a theist, we dont want religion to have anything to do with government.

But, being to total morons that they are, Fox News cant grasp this simple premise. They are a disgrace to our country, and so are all the idiots in Congress that constantly vote for this religious crap.

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty much.

The Founding Fathers knew very well the dangers of intertwining religion and politics, something that you'd imagine we would have learned and fully grasped hundreds of years since. Especially when we look at what happens in theocracies around the world, it should be self-evident that whether you're an atheist or a theist, we dont want religion to have anything to do with government.

But, being to total morons that they are, Fox News cant grasp this simple premise. They are a disgrace to our country, and so are all the idiots in Congress that constantly vote for this religious crap.

Yes, they also ignore the establishment clause, where they cannot show favoritism to any religion, effectively making it freedom from religion. They are acting like it is their country, more so than ours, it is being bullies.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#145  Edited By jwalser3
No Caption Provided

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

kuonphobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By kuonphobos

@willpayton:

Notice I put logic up in my #1 point. This is because IMO logic is the #1 presupposition in order to know anything about the universe. If you believe that logic is not a universal constant and is not applicable always and everywhere, then on what do you base any conclusions?

How do you support the claim of "There simply is more that these things cannot touch or even admit are within the realm of possibility"? You have already taken logic out of the equation, since you dont believe it's a universal law that logic always applies, so you cant give me a logical argument to support your claim. So, what IS your argument?

I don't rule out logic as also a starting point. Notice that I placed (as you define it) in parentheses. Your definition of logic more than likely also emerges from a materialistic view of reality correct?

So again I reassert my point that for a non-materialist (like science), logic is an extremely useful tool but isn't fully sufficient to recognize, comprehend, categorize all phenomena. Most phenomena probably, but not all.

Now I completely agree with you that without some ground rules (logic) communication is not possible. My only real point is that at some point in the face of some potential phenomena logic will reach it's limit of usefulness. On one hand this may be a very small quantity of phenomena but on the other hand it may vastly outweigh the rest in quality or value.

My claim is that there is some phenomena which a materialistic system may not be capable of perceiving because of the limitations of that system. There may be other ways of perceiving this phenomena which lie outside of a materialist methodology.

I disagree that a materialistic/empirical worldview is insufficient to comprehend all phenomena. You didnt prove this to be the case above, only asserted it.

Let me ask how exactly can I "prove" anything to a materialist using a non-materialist view of reality? The best we could agree to would be that I disagree with your assertions which emerge from a strictly materialist view of reality while you disagree with my assertions which emerge from a non-materialist view of reality. Neither of us can "prove" anything to the other because we stand on very differing views of reality.

There is only one element of "faith" that a materialist needs, which is the assumption that the rules of logic are a universal and always apply. Everything else follows from there including all of mathematics, physics, and the principles on which science are based including materialism.

Yes. Although I am not convinced that materialism emerges from logic. It seems the other way around to me.

You could say that the idea of the supernatural "threatens" materialism, in the sense that it's a competing worldview, but from a materialist point of view I dont see the problem. You cant defend the supernatural with logic (since you have ruled it out as something that always applies), and I'm not sure what you CAN defend it with. (hence my initial questions above)

Yes as opposing views of reality each "threatens" the other. For the rest I refer to my above comments. Certainly it remains that we can only each "assert" our position to the other (and by extension as representatives of those who are located within our camps) For the non-materialist the materialistic definition of logic is simply not sufficient. As I said before logic serves as ground rules for communication but it does not require one to arrive upon a materialistic view of reality.

Lastly, materialism isnt circular, it simply always assumes those things (i.e. the rules of logic) on which it is based. If it were circular then it would try to prove logic with other ideas that are derived from logic, which is not the case. An actual example of a circular argument is as follows:

1. The Bible is true because it was written by God.

2. God wrote the Bible because it says so in the Bible, which is known to be true.

Each of statement 1 and 2 supports the other entirely and without external proof.

I agree that your two statements are indeed circular. But they lie outside the purview of our discussion. Several steps up the pyramid so to speak. This is a discussion on the merits of a materialist vs a non-materialist view of reality.

The claim that materialism is true by using materialist methodologies which emerge from a materialist view of reality is also a self contained circular argument. In other words "logic is true because materialism is true and materialism is true because logic is true."

I will restate that I also value logic and science but "to a point". There is some phenomena which exists in reality for which a materialistic understanding of "logic" is not sufficient to recognize, comprehend or categorize. This is the fundamental presupposition which the materialist denies and the non-materialist affirms.

Should there be a way to use materialistic methodologies to definitively demonstrate such phenomena then it would be "logical" to include those into one's system. So again even the idea of "logic" stands upon a materialist view of reality.

However the non-materialist is perfectly happy to be labeled "irrational" or "illogical" if those terms are undergirded by a materialistic view of reality. He somehow sees what the materialist cannot.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't rule out logic as also a starting point. Notice that I placed (as you define it) in parentheses. Your definition of logic more than likely also emerges from a materialistic view of reality correct?

Not correct. Like I said above, materialism like science is based on logic. Logic is based on nothing, since it's the minimal and lowest level assumptions we make about the universe.

All X are Y. All Y are Z. Therefore, all X are Z.

The statement above is pure logic. It has nothing to do with materialism or science or anything else. You either accept logic as a basic, universal starting point for reason or you dont.

So again I reassert my point that for a non-materialist (like science), logic is an extremely useful tool but isn't fully sufficient to recognize, comprehend, categorize all phenomena. Most phenomena probably, but not all.

You can assert this, but I see no reason to believe it. And, the reasons why I dont believe it are:

1. I take logic to be a universal truth and starting point for all knowledge and reasoning.

2. Everything I've seen in the physical universe agree with #1 above.

Now I completely agree with you that without some ground rules (logic) communication is not possible. My only real point is that at some point in the face of some potential phenomena logic will reach it's limit of usefulness. On one hand this may be a very small quantity of phenomena but on the other hand it may vastly outweigh the rest in quality or value.

My claim is that there is some phenomena which a materialistic system may not be capable of perceiving because of the limitations of that system. There may be other ways of perceiving this phenomena which lie outside of a materialist methodology.

But, all you're doing is speculating about hypothetical phenomena that violate logic. So, like above, merely an assertion that still needs to be backed up with some logic or some evidence.

Without such evidence or logical arguments you're just engaging in begging the question and circular reasoning. You're saying that supernatural phenomena cant be dismissed by logic because by definition it violates logic. But at the same time you claim that you can accept logic as a starting premise. Sorry, those two things dont go together.

Let me ask how exactly can I "prove" anything to a materialist using a non-materialist view of reality? The best we could agree to would be that I disagree with your assertions which emerge from a strictly materialist view of reality while you disagree with my assertions which emerge from a non-materialist view of reality. Neither of us can "prove" anything to the other because we stand on very differing views of reality.

You could base an argument for non-materialism on some logic. But, I dont see the supernatural as being such as argument, because by definition the supernatural violates and ignores logic (or at least only accepts logic when it suits it... which is called special pleading).

Now, I'm not the one making the non-materialist claim, so it's not up to me to help you out with such arguments... but I can think of some if I wanted to... based purely on known mathematics and physics. For example, I could argue that the universe is actually a hologram, in which case what we call matter is not really such, but only a sort of illusion or projection. Or, I could argue that the universe is a simulation, and so again what we call reality, energy, and matter are not real in the sense that we think it is.

Nevertheless, even if I was making such arguments, I'd still have to rely fully on logic as my starting point. If not... well, what other starting basis for an argument would I make?

Yes. Although I am not convinced that materialism emerges from logic. It seems the other way around to me.

You'd be wrong. Logic has no reliance on what physically exists, only on abstract concepts... like the example I gave above.

As I said before logic serves as ground rules for communication but it does not require one to arrive upon a materialistic view of reality.

I didnt really say that it did, only that you should give reasoning for how logic leads to whatever philosophical worldview you are proposing.

The claim that materialism is true by using materialist methodologies which emerge from a materialist view of reality is also a self contained circular argument. In other words "logic is true because materialism is true and materialism is true because logic is true."

Materialism is based on logic and observations. So, while you are correct that in a sense materialism makes assumptions that go beyond logic, the strong point of materialism is that it conforms to observations. That's not necessarily circular, because you still have the possibility that an observation could demonstrate that materialism is wrong. So, for example, lets say that tomorrow Zeus materializes above Athens and proclaims, "Hello everybody, it's me your God, I'm back!". Well, that would be good evidence that maybe the supernatural and gods are real, and materialism isnt.

I will restate that I also value logic and science but "to a point". There is some phenomena which exists in reality for which a materialistic understanding of "logic" is not sufficient to recognize, comprehend or categorize. This is the fundamental presupposition which the materialist denies and the non-materialist affirms.

Still only assertions. Show evidence of these phenomena that actually exist and defy logic.

kuonphobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@willpayton:

OK. First I want to thank you for walking down this path with me. I hope that to this point your eye rolling has been minimal.

Let me try again to make myself clear. To myself if to no one else. I have been giving our discussion a great deal of thought and have perhaps made some amendments.

I do believe in logic. You said:

Logic is based on nothing, since it's the minimal and lowest level assumptions we make about the universe.

All X are Y. All Y are Z. Therefore, all X are Z.

The statement above is pure logic. It has nothing to do with materialism or science or anything else. You either accept logic as a basic, universal starting point for reason or you dont.

I agree with all of this. Without agreeing beforehand on such ground rules we cannot have any coherent communication.

Then you said:

1. I take logic to be a universal truth and starting point for all knowledge and reasoning.

2. Everything I've seen in the physical universe agree with #1 above.

As I read these two statements I find that I also agree with both of them as well.

BUT (you knew it had to be coming) I don't see at this point in our suppositions where it is logically necessary to claim that everything you have seen in the physical universe represents the totality of universal phenomena. I also don't see where it is logically necessary to claim that any such phenomena can only be accessed or understood rightly via a materialistic view of reality or materialistic methodology. I guess that what I am saying is even beginning with the starting point of logic as agreed upon through your opening quotes, I don't see how it necessarily leads to a materialistic interpretation of reality...

see you said:

Materialism is based on logic and observations. So, while you are correct that in a sense materialism makes assumptions that go beyond logic, the strong point of materialism is that it conforms to observations. That's not necessarily circular, because you still have the possibility that an observation could demonstrate that materialism is wrong. So, for example, lets say that tomorrow Zeus materializes above Athens and proclaims, "Hello everybody, it's me your God, I'm back!". Well, that would be good evidence that maybe the supernatural and gods are real, and materialism isnt.

If materialism makes assumptions which go beyond logic then why can non-materialism not be just an alternate presupposition which leads to a differing conclusion concerning phenomena which lie outside of materialism's ability to perceive, comprehend and quantify it?

Is this based upon your point that the strong point of materialism lies in it's ability to be observed? This begins to become slightly circular in my opinion. The issue is no longer whether or not it is logical but whether or not it is observable through methods which are dictated by a materialistic world view.

And as an aside - your anecdote is ironic from my position because it is exactly through the use of the methodology of history, eyewitness testimony and textual material that a divine being did indeed break into our world and revealed himself to us approximately 2013 years ago. Again perhaps even the materialistic evidence is there but the materialistic presupposition has ruled out this possibility a priori .

I said: I will restate that I also value logic and science but "to a point". There is some phenomena which exists in reality for which a materialistic understanding of "logic" is not sufficient to recognize, comprehend or categorize. This is the fundamental presupposition which the materialist denies and the non-materialist affirms.

To which you replied: Still only assertions. Show evidence of these phenomena that actually exist and defy logic.

I hope that it is clear at this point that in my last statements I was assuming a materialistic underpinning to your definition of "logic". It was that which I was speaking about. As of this chapter in our discussion I amend my definition of logic to your statement which I quoted above ie "minimal and lowest level assumptions we make about the universe" . I call them ground rules for communication.

But it remains that I do not see why materialism necessarily is to be assumed.

It also remains why materialism seems to be required in order for a system to be rewarded with the appellation of "logical".

I look at the same phenomena and because I start with a different set of presuppositions concerning how humans perceive and what is available "out there" to be perceived and arrive at a different set of conclusions this somehow (through logic) is wrong because it cannot be quantified and replicated through means which emerge from another's different set of presuppositions about what is true of the universe.

Seems a little tyrannical and presumptuous to me.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By willpayton

BUT (you knew it had to be coming) I don't see at this point in our suppositions where it is logically necessary to claim that everything you have seen in the physical universe represents the totality of universal phenomena. I also don't see where it is logically necessary to claim that any such phenomena can only be accessed or understood rightly via a materialistic view of reality or materialistic methodology. I guess that what I am saying is even beginning with the starting point of logic as agreed upon through your opening quotes, I don't see how it necessarily leads to a materialistic interpretation of reality...

Logic doesnt necessarily lead to a materialistic interpretation of reality, at least that's not what I'm claiming. I admitted previously that materialism makes other assumptions.

see you said:

If materialism makes assumptions which go beyond logic then why can non-materialism not be just an alternate presupposition which leads to a differing conclusion concerning phenomena which lie outside of materialism's ability to perceive, comprehend and quantify it?

Non-materialism could indeed be a valid alternative. You just have to define what it is and what assumptions you're making. My point is that materialism has the benefit that it conforms to what we observe, and doesnt make claims about what we cant observe. Now, your competing worldview (which you havent defined yet) might make assumptions that we cant test at all... but, what good is it? How can you tell if it's a correct worldview?

Is this based upon your point that the strong point of materialism lies in it's ability to be observed? This begins to become slightly circular in my opinion. The issue is no longer whether or not it is logical but whether or not it is observable through methods which are dictated by a materialistic world view.

I'm not sure what you mean by "observable through methods which are dictated by a materialistic world view". Something is either observable or it's not... or I'm not properly understanding your point. Materialism and what is observable are different things.

And as an aside - your anecdote is ironic from my position because it is exactly through the use of the methodology of history, eyewitness testimony and textual material that a divine being did indeed break into our world and revealed himself to us approximately 2013 years ago. Again perhaps even the materialistic evidence is there but the materialistic presupposition has ruled out this possibility a priori .

I understand what you're saying, but I think you're misunderstanding why I believe materialism to be true. It's not that I believe it and hence I ignore evidence that contradicts it, it's that the evidence that I see all supports it and so I believe it. So, I have not decided to believe it a priori.

The issue of historical, textual materials, and other such evidence is a different topic... and while I wouldnt mind discussing that... I'm afraid that it would only expand this discussion out of control. For now I'll simply state that I havent seen any convincing evidence that a supernatural event of any kind has ever happened... and I have looked at all of the "popular" lines of evidence that are claimed for such things.

I said: I will restate that I also value logic and science but "to a point". There is some phenomena which exists in reality for which a materialistic understanding of "logic" is not sufficient to recognize, comprehend or categorize. This is the fundamental presupposition which the materialist denies and the non-materialist affirms.

To which you replied: Still only assertions. Show evidence of these phenomena that actually exist and defy logic.

I hope that it is clear at this point that in my last statements I was assuming a materialistic underpinning to your definition of "logic". It was that which I was speaking about. As of this chapter in our discussion I amend my definition of logic to your statement which I quoted above ie "minimal and lowest level assumptions we make about the universe" . I call them ground rules for communication.

But it remains that I do not see why materialism necessarily is to be assumed.

I agree that you dont have to assume materialism to be true.

It also remains why materialism seems to be required in order for a system to be rewarded with the appellation of "logical".

I'm not saying that it does.

I look at the same phenomena and because I start with a different set of presuppositions concerning how humans perceive and what is available "out there" to be perceived and arrive at a different set of conclusions this somehow (through logic) is wrong because it cannot be quantified and replicated through means which emerge from another's different set of presuppositions about what is true of the universe.

Seems a little tyrannical and presumptuous to me.

I cant address this at all because so far we havent talked about any specific phenomena, or even a specific alternative to materialism. Also, "how humans perceive" is not a factor of materialism. That seems like a completely different topic to me... unless you mean it in a different way from how I'm interpreting it.

At least we have agreed that logic is a fundamental and universal starting point. =)