• 92 results
#1 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (22264 posts) - - Show Bio

Three young women, who look like they are straight out of some hip teenage television show, have set out to rescue London's teenagers from evil forces. Brynne Larson, 18, and sisters Tess and Savannah Scherkenback, 18 and 21, from Arizona, are not the idea of a Hollywood scriptwriter but "real" exorcists on a mission. They believe that every country "has a specific kind of demon" and Britain is a hotbed for "witchcraft" because of the popularity of J K Rowling's Harry Potter books.

"It has been centuries in the making, but I believe it came to a pinnacle with the Harry Potter books," Savannah Scherkenback says in the trailer to BBC documentary Teen Exorcists.

"The spells you are reading about are not made up," her sister added.

"They are real and come from witchcraft."

Larson said: "Harry is using this magic for good, so here we have the dangerous idea that you can use this magic for good or bad, whereas in reality all magic is bad because you're getting your power from Satan."

The girls, who all have black belts in karate, have vowed never to read the Harry Potter novels and hope to help British teenagers to rid themselves of "inviting Satan to possess them by reciting the spells in the Harry Potter books" as well as "sexually transmitted demons". British film-maker Dan Murdoch has spent six months with the trio for the documentary. He followed them to Ukraine and then to London, where they held an exorcism meeting under the guidance of Larson's father (and their trainer), the Rev Bob Larson, who says he has performed more than 15,000 exorcisms. While he sees himself as a freedom fighter for God, sceptics say that he is preying on the vulnerable in a bid to sell his books, DVDs and "crosses of deliverance". He does not see anything wrong in demanding money for his services.

"Money and motives; any time someone is in God's work it always comes up," he said.

"People will pay thousands of dollars to go to drug rehab or to pay psychiatrists, but there's this idea that spirituality needs to be for free.

"The average megachurch pastor in America; it's not uncommon for them to make up to $1 million a year. Well, I can assure you we are nowhere near that."

According to Larson almost half of the population is ruled by a demon.

Discussing his documentary, Murdoch said he had doubts about the team's demon-smiting mission.

"I don't believe in exorcisms after doing the documentary but I do believe in the power of belief after what I've seen," he said.

Source: http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv/9157796/Teen-exorcists-fight-Harry-Potter

I don't know if I should laugh or weep -__-

#2 Posted by JetiiMitra (8628 posts) - - Show Bio

: /

#3 Posted by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (11049 posts) - - Show Bio

Know what...whatever

cuz I gave up a while ago

#4 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (22264 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran said:

My exact feelings.

#5 Posted by JetiiMitra (8628 posts) - - Show Bio

@mitran said:

My exact feelings.

It's just that... I could maybe see the logic in thinking the exorcisms are necessary, even if I don't agree with it - there are Wiccan members of the population and the more mystical aspects of other religions. But the sexually transmitted demons and the charging money for exorcisms, and selling books, DVDs, and manufactured crosses of deliverance? That's just... well...

#6 Posted by TheFirstLantern (1505 posts) - - Show Bio

This saddens me. Although they are pretty.

#7 Posted by Yokergeist (12355 posts) - - Show Bio

OMG! Harry Potter is a devil-worshiper because he uses Magic!

I kind of see some logic to that but what about Gandalf, Dr. Fate, Zatanna, and all the other people who use magic? Does that make them evil too?

My thoughts on this is that magic is evil, but a book about a young wizard is not evil.

-$NG

#8 Edited by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

my shotgun shells will be meeting new people.

#9 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8857 posts) - - Show Bio

#10 Edited by Nefarious (20340 posts) - - Show Bio

I've heard people say Pokemon is demonic. What a bunch of baloney.

SMH.

#11 Posted by silkyballfro94 (1738 posts) - - Show Bio

And I would have gotten away with it, if it wasn't for those meddling kids and their exorcisms!!

#12 Posted by RDClip (1129 posts) - - Show Bio

Yep because awknowledging magic is real will totally get kids to not read about and want to preform magic. Hell, if I was 8 years old and someone convinced me that magic was real in trying to get me to accept Jesus, I would throw out their bible and go pick up a Necronomicon.

You'd think at 18-21, they would realize that the movies like The Exorcist and Paranormal Activity are fiction. If they want to help people so much, there are plenty of starving and sick people all around the world that can use a little cherity.

#13 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (17371 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow.. rowling is getting free advertise.. Go, harry, go!

:D

#14 Posted by consolemaster001 (5585 posts) - - Show Bio

WA HAH !

#15 Posted by Outside_85 (9003 posts) - - Show Bio

If their greatest concern is running into Harry Potter, I can't wait for them to run into the real life Constantines... or Alan Moore :D

#16 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (22264 posts) - - Show Bio

my shotgun shells will be meeting new people.

They would have been wasted on them. You need to call upon the Powers of the Void.

#17 Edited by BumpyBoo (9264 posts) - - Show Bio

O_______________________________________________________O

Moderator Online
#18 Edited by Strider92 (16462 posts) - - Show Bio

My thoughts:

But seriously this is retarded!

#19 Edited by thespideyguy (2642 posts) - - Show Bio

I was never a Potterhead.

#20 Posted by Backflip (2266 posts) - - Show Bio

Do they really need to come to the UK.. god, we managed to block Westboro, can't we just do the same here?

#21 Edited by KingOfAsh (3611 posts) - - Show Bio

#22 Edited by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought the whole hysteria about Harry Potter books being 'evil' died out in the early 2000s.

Then again, maybe they're just in it for the money.

Whatever the case, stupidity abounds.

Edit: That one girl is fine, though.

#23 Posted by RaggedScarecrow (851 posts) - - Show Bio

...Sexually transmitted demons? Really?

#24 Posted by teddy_the_god_killer (299 posts) - - Show Bio

They vowed never to read the books...that says it all. The irony is that many people like these usually end up going off the rails and become their own worst nightmares. I wait patiently. But if there is a God (I force no opinion) he must be gutted he gets the scary dumb ones.

#25 Posted by Xwraith (18176 posts) - - Show Bio

There is no honor in this.

#26 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18051 posts) - - Show Bio

Religious brainwashing at its worst. I wish I could say that its an isolated incident, but its not.

#27 Edited by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

This saddens me. Although they are pretty.

That makes it sadder somehow.

#28 Edited by ARMIV2 (8524 posts) - - Show Bio

I...eh...
This reeks of the misuse of the word of God.

#29 Posted by Lvenger (19925 posts) - - Show Bio

Religious brainwashing and ignorance at its finest. I've seen one of the documentaries on these group of dull minded girls. Not only do they brainwash credulously minded people who think they're possessed by demons and are flawed on some way but they too have been brainwashed by their crack headed father with his implausible beliefs. It's the evidence of what religious indoctrination can do to people.

Though the one in the middle is quite good looking IMO.

#30 Posted by Web_Flotsam (1118 posts) - - Show Bio

The spells are real? Hooray! Lumos! *turns on flashlight*

#31 Posted by GodTriggerHulk (1998 posts) - - Show Bio

Whatever gets rid of Harry Potter is fine by me. Glad to see these girls pursuing purity rather than experimenting with drugs.

#32 Posted by TekTheNinja (766 posts) - - Show Bio

Larson said: "Harry is using this magic for good, so here we have the dangerous idea that you can use this magic for good or bad, whereas in reality all magic is bad because you're getting your power from Satan."

#33 Edited by xlab3000 (3280 posts) - - Show Bio

post deleted.

#34 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18051 posts) - - Show Bio

Whatever gets rid of Harry Potter is fine by me. Glad to see these girls pursuing purity rather than experimenting with drugs.

Pursing purity? Really? Oh and how do you know they aren't experimenting with drugs either?

#35 Posted by MatKrenz (1234 posts) - - Show Bio

Really ? I mean, really ? God religion sucks.

#36 Edited by GodTriggerHulk (1998 posts) - - Show Bio
#37 Posted by Web_Flotsam (1118 posts) - - Show Bio

@godtriggerhulk: They're either neck deep in drugs or breathtakingly stupid. Also, pursuing purity isn't what I would call it.

#38 Posted by Marionettegeist (1912 posts) - - Show Bio

@matkrenz said:

Really ? I mean, really ? God religion sucks.

Lol.

#39 Edited by TotalBalance (742 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey we have to watch our words, I mean they are ``black belts`` in Karate right? If they aren't exorcising (exercising?) our demons they will be beating us up for defending Satan right?

#40 Posted by GodTriggerHulk (1998 posts) - - Show Bio

@web_flotsam:

What would you call an effort to defeat the Devil?

#41 Posted by Marionettegeist (1912 posts) - - Show Bio
#42 Posted by Web_Flotsam (1118 posts) - - Show Bio

@web_flotsam:

What would you call an effort to defeat the Devil?

Absolutely idiotic considering that they're targeting a children's book series while claiming the magic within it is real, while also somehow making money off it.

#43 Posted by GodTriggerHulk (1998 posts) - - Show Bio

@web_flotsam:

They do more than that, they actively exorcise people. If you click on the link in the article it shows a video with them performing an exorcism. The people they're helping get pretty wild, it's not an easy job.

#44 Posted by Web_Flotsam (1118 posts) - - Show Bio

@web_flotsam:

They do more than that, they actively exorcise people. If you click on the link in the article it shows a video with them performing an exorcism. The people they're helping get pretty wild, it's not an easy job.

Are you a troll? Am I being trolled?

#45 Edited by Ace20XD6 (235 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know why but for some reason I think these girls don't believe in any of this, or at least not all of it. And they are doing this for publicity and fame.

#46 Edited by GodTriggerHulk (1998 posts) - - Show Bio

@web_flotsam:

Mild teasing at worst.

*what does it say about our society that mild autocorrected to milf?

#47 Posted by Web_Flotsam (1118 posts) - - Show Bio

@godtriggerhulk: So I don't have to explain how the people aren't really possessed and should have gotten therapy instead of an exorcism?

#48 Posted by GodTriggerHulk (1998 posts) - - Show Bio

@web_flotsam:

Just for funsies why don't you. I feel like we reject many things out of hand without looking at them for ourselves. Inquiry means considering things even when others say the debate is over.

#49 Posted by Web_Flotsam (1118 posts) - - Show Bio

@godtriggerhulk: You can see them playing those people like cards in the videos. They convince people who are either mentally ill that their problems are demons. They're not even very good actors, and the fact that they refuse to read what they're against makes me wonder how they know these spells are real if they can't possibly know what they are.

#50 Posted by GodTriggerHulk (1998 posts) - - Show Bio

@web_flotsam:

Perhaps their "bad acting" can be attributed to them not acting?

I agree on the Harry Potter front they're misinformed, people don't imitate the spells.

It's the exorcisms that have me intrigued. Perhaps on the show a customer will testify as to whether or not the ceremony was useful.