TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheAmazingSpidey
No Caption Provided

This was the game I was most looking forward to. Ever. My hype for a game's never reached that sort of hype, I was confident it'd be brilliant... once Assassin's Creed II hit stores in 2009, I didn't like it... but I didn't hate it much either - it wasn't on par with my expectations, the story was... dumb... my unreal expectations drowned out anything this could've been. Then I begun replaying it, again, and again, and again, and I begun to like it lots once the hype had died down and I forgot about my expectations surrounding this title. I'll be discussing spoilers, meaning I'll mark them with a Spoiler - meaning, for all means, if you've still to play this game, feel free to read - and enjoy!

Summary

No Caption Provided

Beginning in the modern day era - Desmond Miles awakens greeted by Lucy Stillman, a newfound ally, blood splatted on her clothing for some reason... Lucy brings Desmond out of Abstergo, breaking him out of the walls of his warden, and uniting him with other Assassins, kicking off training for Desmond, molding him into an Assassin, as he revisits the memories of Ezio Auditore, an Italian assassin who would be connected to the apple of Eden, a charismatic young man who's father, a banker, and his brothers, were killed as a part of a conspiracy - thus Ezio dons his father's robes, embarking on a quest to kill those who took a part in his father's death... avenging his family.

Storyline and Characters

No Caption Provided

Assassin's Creed II's narrative is much more varied than the first entry - packed with a variety of missions... however... that belongs in the gameplay section of this review. Nonetheless, ACII places the player in the 1400s, Italy, the Renaissance - with a number of studio recreation of historical events, placing Ezio with the likes of legends such as Leonardo Da Vinci, the man who crafted the parachute, and Nicollo Machiavelli, the man who wrote The Prince etc. etc. If you'd like to follow the story, piece by piece, it's intelligent and simplistic - it'll require a good amount of attention, considering there's many characters throughout - some of them fleshed out and some of them aren't, however - those without backstory are still awesome, because you get a good sense of their character - the storytelling of Assassin's Creed II is it's weak point, and weak point doesn't equal bad, but it doesn't equal great either - the characters are unforgettable, and memorable, but the story itself isn't anything brand new, bogged down by too much exposition. This is minor, considering the game's splendid gameplay elements and characterisation.

Ezio Auditore is a terrific character - throughout the game, you're able to witness his transformation as a character, as we witness him as a young teenager enjoying his youth, into a young man coming into maturity, his lust for vengeance, as he begins to age into a lethal killer - a specific scene where I almost shed tears in the Bonfire of The Vanities DLC honestly makes Ezio my favourite protagonist, and I'm sure to hell most of you people will agree. We also team up with many figures, who begin to aid Ezio into putting an end to these conspiracies.

No Caption Provided

Leonardo Da Vinci and Ezio's dynamic and friendship is also at the core of the game - it's heart warming to watch the two brought on screen together many moments, and was glad the character was able to return to Brotherhood - sadly enough, he wasn't what I'd like to call a main part of the story, in Brotherhood, although he did add to it. Anyways, I wont be discussing that game now. Going by the timeline of the renaissance, which Ubisoft does go by, Leonardo was only a few years older than Ezio Auditore, which was nice to see the two characters, not too dissimilar in age, coming to know each other. Uncle Mario is also able to share the spotlight - as he begins molding Ezio Auditore into an assassin, - I would've honestly liked to see more of Mario Auditore, but it was understanding that, with all the characters around, they weren't able to focus on every single one of them.

It's great we were able to experience Ezio's journey from his birth, and into a teenager, and into an adult assassin - if Ubisoft were done, they would've done away with the backstory and would've thrown us into the assassinations, but Ubisoft kept story in mind while putting together this game. However - what bothers me is the Templars. It's almost as if Ubisoft labelled them "Assassins = Good Guys" and "Templars = Baddies!", there isn't any grey areas, and the targets begin spewing out these clichés such as something like "you wont make it out alive!"

This was done much better in III, thankfully, once this game was handed down to another studio - and I would've liked more focus on Rodrigo Borgia, the antagonist of this game. However, I completely loved being able to encounter and combat Rodrigo twice throughout the entire game, akin to simply packing their encounters all into the climax. Patrick Desilets told us Desmond will do more than just walking, which he certainly does, because we begin to grasp a better, much more interesting, entertaining take on the character - being pulled out of the Animus and thrown into the character of Desmond wasn't bad, not at all.

Minor spoilers ahead, Desmond begins to develop the bleeding effect, in which he begins suffering from hallucinations of all sorts, the ancients constructing right in front of him - this offers a decent amount of characterisation, which was also expanded on in Brotherhood.

Gameplay, Visuals and Soundtrack

No Caption Provided

Assassin's Creed II's gameplay is much better than the first game - we're now able to explore many cities in Renaissance Italy, beautiful landscapes, beautiful scenarios and beautiful cities rendered by a beautiful art style - the cities are larger than the ones in Assassin's Creed, and there's the basic's covered - you're able to parkour around the cities, notably Florence, Ezio's birthplace, Venice, Tuscany, Monteriggioni and Forli - covering the builds are guards of all sorts patrolling the roofs, which is honestly an annoyance - I would've liked to be able to explore the city with little disturbance, which is being fixed in Unity - this, however, is a minor shortcoming considering the superb cities. The parkour is thrilling, being able to scale buildings in mere seconds allows for some pretty cool animations, and overall, it adds uniqueness to the game. The climbing is somewhat clunky, though. It isn't what I'd call bad, because the parkour is truly great, but there were moments were Ezio was, for a lack of better words, stiff.

The Hidden Blade makes a return as the Assassin's signature weapon - you're now able to engage in combat with the blade, hacking and slashing at your enemies, making it much either to swiftly eliminate guards - the weapons are much more smoother, whereas they were stiff in the first game. With the return of the weapon comes a number of brand new features - air assassinations, assassinating from hiding spots and double assassins. The gameplay elements in AC2 results in a number of approaches to eliminate your targets and complete memories.

Enemies are difficult in comparison to the first game, and the combat, overall, is engaging - you're now able to disarm your enemies, or hold them in a grip - able to slit their throats, hold them in place, throw them against some of the other enemies etc. etc. you wont necessarily require every single one of these gameplay elements, but I reckon it's awesome they had a presence in the film, making the player able to explore a variety of stuff. There's also standard enemies, agiles, brutes etc. meaning there's always a refreshing enemy archetype. Horses make a return - you're still capable of making out into the outer skirts of cities with your horse, a mechanic which was also refined from the first game.

No Caption Provided

There's also a number of unique memories - one which throws you into Leonardo Da Vinci's flying machine, in which you're too fly the thing throughout the cities for a singular mission - if you bought the Bonfire of The Vanities DLC like I did, you'll be able to get into the flying mission at any time, out of missions - which I appreciate. Another unique mission is commandeering a carriage, and fighting off against enemies, as they begin boarding your vehicle two by two - I enjoyed this mission, it was a breath of fresh air and a departure from the usual - another unique memory was disguising yourself as an enemy and infiltrating an encounter between the Spaniard, the man who killed Ezio's father and brothers, and a group of Templar's in an exchange. The fourth unique mission is one in which you complete many activities in a carnival, to win over a golden mask which will allow Ezio access to a place he's required to be in a specific time, in a specific moment. These unique memories are the foremost highlight of the gameplay section of the game.

The Soundtrack was also a major part in enhancing the experience - with certain themes adding to the atmosphere, providing a good amount of tracks with oozed atmosphere, recreating the beautiful cities of Venice - certain soundtracks make you want to tear, and others which make you want to cheer through and through.

Assassin's Creed II

No Caption Provided

Assassin's Creed II is surely flawed - but the good eventually outweighs the bad by lots - Ezio is a terrific character, his arc in general becoming a classic, the Italian renaissance setting is the best in the series by far - beautiful cities, beautiful graphics and memorable characters which were able to craft a unique experience - sure, the narrative is the weak point of the game, but the characters add many layers to it - it was also great Ubisoft were able to develop Desmond as a character and set up plotlines which were carried onto the other games. Thus, I'm rating ACII a...

9/10

• + Ezio is Terrific
  • + Large, Gorgeous Cities
  • + Fantastic Setting
  • + Memorable Characters
  • + Tons of Stuff to Do
  • + Fantastic Gameplay Elements
  • + Legitimate Emotions
  • - Weak Narrative
  • - Bad Templar Depiction

Thanks for reading - hope you enjoyed and don't forget to comment below, I'll be covering the other games in the series, so... um... yeah - it'd be cool if you checked this game out because it's kinda awesome, XD!

- TAS

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Never finished the game. Franchise is overrated in my opinion.

Doesn't help that at the time is when I stopped playing "mainstream" games since they bore me to tears.

To each his own.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By MonsterStomp
Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Mike_Fowler

I hope you realize though that the Borgia weren't "real" Templars, they literally ONLY wanted power, even the modern day Templars acknowledge it as a "dark age" in the Templar order

Basically, they most likely did it on purpose

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MonsterStomp

@dbzk1999: Yea, now that I think of it, they were just power hungry.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager:

The franchise is over rated!?... Get out of here! I kid, I kid >___>

- TAS

@dbzk1999 said:

I hope you realize though that the Borgia weren't "real" Templars, they literally ONLY wanted power, even the modern day Templars acknowledge it as a "dark age" in the Templar order

Basically, they most likely did it on purpose

Yeah - they did acknowledge Rodrigo's days as the Mentor of the Templar Order as the dark age... but nonetheless, they labelled them Templars within the context of the game.

- TAS

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: Templars within the context of the game seek peace, they sought power and ONLY power

It's like Majd Addin comparing himself to the assassins just because he killed others for fear

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DarthAznable

Man I loved ACII with a passion. Played it to death. Spot on review, definitely on the narrative. I don't remember being compelled by it but the gameplay, characters, collecting, and amounts of other stuff to do was far above ACI. I think this is my favorite from the franchise with III being super close.

Jmarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: Great review! So much detail, absolutely wonderful!

However, if I may ask...

• - Weak Narrative

I don't understand your reasoning for those?

IMO, AC2 had one of the best Narrative's in the entire Franchise. In fact, AC2 is the reason why I say AC games have some of the best Storylines in all of gaming!

So I was shocked to see that you think it has a weak narrative?!?! It was fresh, compelling, brilliantly told, and it all fit together so perfectly, while at the same time being not at all predictable!

And as for the "Bad Templar Depiction"...well, I guess I understand that one moreso. Rodrigo wasn't exactly my favorite antagonist, but I certainly enjoyed him more than Haytham or Vidic, both of which were...tedious to say the least.

Honestly, I think AC2 ranks as my favorite AC game, and it will likely remain so until the forseeable future, unless they somehow blow me away with Unity.

But again, great review. Seriously enjoyed reading it.

Jmarshmallow

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthaznable:

Thanks so much for the kind words - and I'm glad you could agree! Overall, the storyline was weak, but everything else was superb and top-notch. I'm onto Sequence 3 of Brotherhood, now.

- TAS

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

@theamazingspidey: Brotherhood is great. Nice write up! AC2 is still the best Creed imo, followed by Black Flag. I really liked the Borgia. They were perfect villains, because you hated them.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This is probably the best review you've made yet! Great job! And about the templars, Assassins creed Rogue is coming out soon which shall make the moral compass between assasssin and templars grey.

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Hey, this review sounds awfully similar. You didn't even tag me here. GTFO you copycat >_>

LMAO I kid, I kid. Seriously, son this is a great job :) I agree on nearly everything it was by far my favorite entry in the series, even after more refined and techinically better games came along. With that said, the only real grievances I had with the game was the lack of replayability (you can't go back to missions) and the much hyped up flying machine mission is awkward to play, shows up only once and never again in the game.

Keep the reviews coming up :D

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice review, I finally got around to reading it. I'm also curious as to why you thought the narrative was weak. I'm also surprised of your first impressions of the game. That's exactly how I felt during Assassin's Creed 3.

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You should have give it 10/10, considering how big shite games gains a good score (L.A Noire, Minecraft, WoW etc.)

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monsterstomp:

Thanks - um... not entirely sure how to explain it - the narrative wasn't exactly bad, but it wasn't compelling either.

- TAS

Hey, this review sounds awfully similar. You didn't even tag me here. GTFO you copycat >_>

LMAO I kid, I kid. Seriously, son this is a great job :) I agree on nearly everything it was by far my favorite entry in the series, even after more refined and techinically better games came along. With that said, the only real grievances I had with the game was the lack of replayability (you can't go back to missions) and the much hyped up flying machine mission is awkward to play, shows up only once and never again in the game.

Keep the reviews coming up :D

By god - he caught me.... *runs off*

LOL - sorry if I came off as copycat, and thanks, anyways! I also forgot to tag my friend Samimista into this. It really is a fantastic game, but it isn't my favourite AC, either - glad you enjoyed the game, and yeah - it bothers me being you aren't able to replay any of the memories.

Thanks for the encouragement - I'm on Brotherhood Sequence 6, meaning I'll also be reviewing that when I'm done!

- TAS

This is probably the best review you've made yet! Great job! And about the templars, Assassins creed Rogue is coming out soon which shall make the moral compass between assasssin and templars grey.

Aw - I appreciate the kind words! Looking forward to Rogue.

- TAS

@eyedcyou said:

@theamazingspidey: Brotherhood is great. Nice write up! AC2 is still the best Creed imo, followed by Black Flag. I really liked the Borgia. They were perfect villains, because you hated them.

Thanks, man - Cesera is honestly my favourite.

- TAS

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@penderor said:

You should have give it 10/10, considering how big shite games gains a good score (L.A Noire, Minecraft, WoW etc.)

I didn't think it was worth a 10/10, though.

- TAS

@theamazingspidey: Will you be writing a review on Assassin's Creed 3 also?

Yeah - I will... I'll be doing all of 'em.

- TAS

@theamazingspidey: Great review! So much detail, absolutely wonderful!

However, if I may ask...

• - Weak Narrative

I don't understand your reasoning for those?

IMO, AC2 had one of the best Narrative's in the entire Franchise. In fact, AC2 is the reason why I say AC games have some of the best Storylines in all of gaming!

So I was shocked to see that you think it has a weak narrative?!?! It was fresh, compelling, brilliantly told, and it all fit together so perfectly, while at the same time being not at all predictable!

And as for the "Bad Templar Depiction"...well, I guess I understand that one moreso. Rodrigo wasn't exactly my favorite antagonist, but I certainly enjoyed him more than Haytham or Vidic, both of which were...tedious to say the least.

Honestly, I think AC2 ranks as my favorite AC game, and it will likely remain so until the forseeable future, unless they somehow blow me away with Unity.

But again, great review. Seriously enjoyed reading it.

Jmarshmallow

By god - I almost missed this; thanks for all the kind words and I appreciate all the effort you put into writing this response, I completely love discussing this stuff. My main area of criticism with ACII's narrative wasn't a narrative itself, but more so how it was told...

"Show! Not tell!" the people at Ubisoft should've told Patrice Desilets - most of the game was advanced with those dialogues, conversations and chats between the other assassins and assassin allies, which was later better executed in the other instalments. I also agree AC has one oft he best narratives in gaming, but ACII-ACIV are my foremost examples.

- TAS

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@theamazingspidey: Not a problem, m8 ;)

Out of curiosity, what is your favorite game in the series? I am having a hard time remembering recall you once saying that III and IV were the best ones gameplay wise,

Wow, you are getting by really quick :o No need to rush it okay ;)

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monsterstomp said:

@theamazingspidey: Will you be writing a review on Assassin's Creed 3 also?

Yeah - I will... I'll be doing all of 'em.

- TAS

Can't wait :)

I wanted to do a review on ACIII but I think two reviews is enough, lol.

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@penderor: oh believe me, la noire was not a shite game

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dragonborn_ct:

Um... erg... okay - not entirely sure which is my favourite - gameplay wise and story wise... it'd be III-IV, but I kinda hold a special place in my heart for the Ezio Trilogy, considering it drew me into the series most. Besides, Italy was much more beautiful than the cities in ACIII-IV, once I'm done all the games in the series, I'll know which is my favourite.

Done Brotherhood - I'm in rush for a good reason, I tend to replay every single AC game before a brand new one is released, meaning I'm replaying every single AC - I'll be beginning ACR tomorrow once I'm done my review for ACB, yeah... I'll take it slower, though, LOL.

- TAS

@monsterstomp:

Thanks! Oh? Did you review any of the AC games?

- TAS

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: No. I haven't done a review for anything. I'm doubting my skills. I should probably give it a shot. I'll probably do a review on the Assassin's Creed Forsaken novel. Just to bring something fresh to the Assassin's Creed reviews.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monsterstomp:

Sure - go for it, I reckon that'd be awesome to read ;)

- TAS

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knightsofdarkness2: it's been grey since the first ac

It was touched upon a bit in revelations, then fully shown in ac3, now to be shown in rogue

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@dbzk1999: But it wasn't really that grey until AC3 came out and AC: Rogue is going to really make everything grey from a moral standpoint.

mikesterman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mikesterman

@theamazingspidey Really good review. I too played all the games. Just not in order. I love this gane ti death because it bought life to the franchise. The first one was good but wasn't exactly keen on bringing characters to life. You killed and that was it almost no questions asked. All in all i agree with you. Ezio is da best.

Requiescat en pace bastardo

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikesterman: if have to disagree with the "almost no questions asked"

mikesterman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dbzk1999 said:

@mikesterman: if have to disagree with the "almost no questions asked"

no, i know that during the end you kill Al mualim because he's corrupt but during the first few assassinations, you don't really care what the target's last words are because they all try to justify their horrible doings and make me go meh.

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Mike_Fowler

@mikesterman: Altair does consider what those words are

One man is cursing garnier, the other is praising him

Altair even demands what it is that binds the none together and threatens to stop going after them. When he finds out what binds them, he even states "but we fight for the same side"

Basically AC1 some of the templars genuinly concerned for the people, they just went about it the wrong way. such as William of monferat or Garnier.

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dbzk1999: You wouldnt made any arguments for pros of it.

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@penderor: don't see a real reason to no. You played it , thought it was shite, whatever

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dbzk1999:

It wasn't ever grey in AC1... my friend @dragonborn_ct explained it well - the writers attempted to make them sympathetic, but there actions were so cartoonish, it didn't work.

- TAS

@theamazingspidey Really good review. I too played all the games. Just not in order. I love this gane ti death because it bought life to the franchise. The first one was good but wasn't exactly keen on bringing characters to life. You killed and that was it almost no questions asked. All in all i agree with you. Ezio is da best.

Requiescat en pace bastardo

Thanks for the kind words! I appreciate how much Assassin's Creed II contributed to the series - if not for ACII, the series definitely wouldn't be the same at all. Out of curiosity - what are your ratings for the AC games?

- TAS

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Mike_Fowler

@theamazingspidey: yes there were, you wanna talk cartoonish? Cesare was cartoonish

What's the difference in what william of montferat did and william Johnson? Jubair burned the books because he knew that they weren't needed (which was true). Garnier, while he wanted to help them, went about the wrong way doing it. To say it wasn't grey in ac1 is like saying it wasn't grey in ac3

Heck one of the most effective moments is when you assassinate Abul Nuquod and he stares into the camera and notes altair 's doubt. What made this effective is that up until now, they never really showed altair's facial expression

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dbzk1999:

Knowledge and memory are two completely different things - I'm currently playing through ACIII (skipped Revelations), and I'm only onto Sequence 3... meaning, yeah, I recall the Templar's in ACIII being grey, but I don't entirely recall why. What bothered me with ACI's Templar's was... they were so self righteous - they continued rambling on how they were interested in curing people, such as Garnier driving those people insane and then believing he's helping them?... Um... no... that doesn't work - how on earth does he reckon he's curing them? It doesn't make sense.

And, yes, Cesare was cartoonish - I agree.

- TAS

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Mike_Fowler

@theamazingspidey: because as Altair was going to assassinate garnier, there were some people who were actually thanking him for what he did

And garnier definitely has one of the best quotes

Do you appease a crying child simply because he wails? 'But I want to play with fire, father.' What would you say? 'As you wish'? Ah... but then you'd answer for his burns."