#1 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (10720 posts) - - Show Bio

Johnny Jones, 10, was reportedly suspended from South Eastern Middle School in Fawn Grove, Pa. for "shooting" an imaginary arrow at a classmate.

The Rutherford Institute, which is defending Jones, claims the fifth grader was told he violated the school’s zero tolerance policy on weapons when he drew back the strings of an imaginary bow and “shot” an imaginary arrow at a buddy.

That's when an unidentified girl in the class told the teacher, who referred the incident to the principal, claiming that “firearms” had been involved.

Jones was allegedly suspended for one day and threatened with expulsion for “making a threat” to another student using a “replica or representation of a firearm."

The Rutherford Institute sent a

letter

to the school on Dec. 4, which states in part: “We request that you rescind the suspension and immediately remove all reference to it from Johnny’s permanent school record.”

“There is no reason that Johnny should be stigmatized and branded a miscreant due to the school’s unreasonable application of its zero tolerance policy against him,” states the letter.

Rutherford Institute President John W. Whitehead claims the school’s response is an effort to “criminalize childish behavior and punish all offenses severely, no matter how minor or non-threatening the so-called infraction may have been.”

“We all want to keep the schools safe, but I’d far prefer to see something credible done about actual threats, rather than this ongoing, senseless targeting of imaginary horseplay,” said Whitehead.

According CNSNews.com, the Rutherford Institute has given Rona Kaufmann, Superintendent of the South Eastern School District, until Dec. 13, 2013 to respond to their letter.

There has not been a statement from the school or Kaufmann.

#2 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

The fact that this doesn't surprise me, makes me very sad.

#3 Posted by TheCheeseStabber (8096 posts) - - Show Bio

I Blame Hunger Games

#4 Posted by gor724 (827 posts) - - Show Bio

@deathpoolthet1000: Just leave it up to you to be the first person I hear this from. Anyway, as a deathpoolthet1000 forum tradition......

GIF WAR!!!!!!

#5 Edited by ARMIV2 (8520 posts) - - Show Bio

This generation is filled with p*ssies that have balls brazen enough to make a big sh*t out of the most non-existent of issues.

And that's all I'll have to say about that.

#6 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (10720 posts) - - Show Bio

@gor724 said:

@deathpoolthet1000: Just leave it up to you to be the first person I hear this from. Anyway, as a deathpoolthet1000 forum tradition......

GIF WAR!!!!!!

#7 Edited by JonSmith (3996 posts) - - Show Bio

"Criminalize childish behavior and punish all offenses severely..."

So you want to punish children for acting like children. Seems legit.

#8 Edited by Dernman (15071 posts) - - Show Bio

This just seems like insanity to me. I wouldn't even know how to address this. You can't even talk to people who think like this because they truly believe and think everyone who disagrees are what they think of them.

#9 Edited by kgb725 (6440 posts) - - Show Bio

White schools are something else

#10 Posted by Nelomaxwell (10485 posts) - - Show Bio

@deathpoolthet1000: I wanted to give you a shout out. I appreciate the fact that you bring news to CV.

#11 Posted by gor724 (827 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by russellmania77 (15260 posts) - - Show Bio

These kids are catching fire for imitating hunger games

#13 Posted by Xwraith (17996 posts) - - Show Bio

That school would really hate me.

#14 Edited by Samimista (20703 posts) - - Show Bio

Least I never got suspended for using my imaginary gunblade. >=D

#15 Posted by Saint_Wildcard (10484 posts) - - Show Bio

haahahaha

#16 Edited by DeathpooltheT1000 (10720 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Edited by gor724 (827 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by JediXMan (30547 posts) - - Show Bio

Jones was allegedly suspended for one day and threatened with expulsion for “making a threat” to another student using a “replica or representation of a firearm."

Bows are not firearms. Therefore, the school's entire claim is invalid.

(3) The term “firearm” means

(A) any weapon (including a starter gun) which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive;

Source.

No explosive, and therefore is not a firearm, imaginary or not.

#19 Edited by Nelomaxwell (10485 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Posted by HumanRocket (8061 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember hearing a story of a girl getting suspended from her school for imitating the firing of a guy with her finger. Some schools just are too strict now a days.

#21 Posted by JMG (224 posts) - - Show Bio

Wish there was more info on what happened so I could make an opinion on it. All we know is that this kid pretended to shoot someone with an arrow and nothing else.

These teachers probably watched that documentary on bullies where nothing was being done and kids were killing themselves. That's my guess.

#22 Posted by Rouflex (18012 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Posted by JetiiMitra (8606 posts) - - Show Bio

Good. Let this be a lesson. Kids from now on better learn not to... um... do that. Or anything else I don't like.

Really this is sad, but what's even worse is I don't see it stopping unless an actual law is made that allows for horseplay. And even that won't work for long.

#24 Posted by loseup (337 posts) - - Show Bio

this makes me wish black lightning is real

#25 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (17201 posts) - - Show Bio

Poor kids.

#26 Edited by Yokergeist (12355 posts) - - Show Bio

Remember in the good old days when you would only get detention for beating the sh*t out of a kid, and the teachers could care less about imaginary weapons.

I'm glad I didn't get suspended for pretending to shoot the teacher with an imaginary gun.

#27 Posted by Dabee (2389 posts) - - Show Bio

Johnny Jones, 10, was reportedly suspended from South Eastern Middle School in Fawn Grove, Pa.

Johnny Jones? I'm guessing they changed the information to protect his identity...?

#28 Edited by DeathpooltheT1000 (10720 posts) - - Show Bio

@deathpoolthet1000: Keep bringing people the truth. Fight the good fight.

@dabee said:

Johnny Jones, 10, was reportedly suspended from South Eastern Middle School in Fawn Grove, Pa.

Johnny Jones? I'm guessing they changed the information to protect his identity...?

Maybe he wants to be a Superhero.

I remember hearing a story of a girl getting suspended from her school for imitating the firing of a guy with her finger. Some schools just are too strict now a days.

In the wrong areas, saddly.

Remember in the good old days when you would only get detention for beating the sh*t out of a kid, and the teachers could care less about imaginary weapons.

I'm glad I didn't get suspended for pretending to shoot the teacher with an imaginary gun.

The school care too much for this things, it makes bullying as a non real problem and a moral panic.

They should care for psychotic kids and teens tha go to schools and actually hurt people.

#29 Edited by WarBlade539 (4577 posts) - - Show Bio

AHHHHH! Everybody get down! The Raccoon Queen is armed to the teeth!
*gets under a desk*

#30 Posted by MaccyD (4052 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, I'm glad I wasn't raised in U.S...

#31 Posted by Samimista (20703 posts) - - Show Bio

@samimista said:

*gets under a desk*

Watch out, Ani! =O *pushes you from under the desk and little raccoons stretch their arms out to defend you* There was a gummy snake slithering under that desk! 0.0 I bet Seifer unleashed it! D= Let the gunblade battle commence! 0.0

#32 Edited by HBKTimHBK (5242 posts) - - Show Bio

-_-

#33 Posted by Nefarious (20233 posts) - - Show Bio

Ridiculous.

#34 Edited by Dabee (2389 posts) - - Show Bio

@dabee said:

Then they REALLY should have changed his name.

#35 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (10720 posts) - - Show Bio

@dabee said:

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

@dabee said:

Then they REALLY should have changed his name.

Who is going to belive your name is Johnny Jones anyway?

@darkazrael999 said:

@samimista said:

*gets under a desk*

Watch out, Ani! =O *pushes you from under the desk and little raccoons stretch their arms out to defend you* There was a gummy snake slithering under that desk! 0.0 I bet Seifer unleashed it! D= Let the gunblade battle commence! 0.0

#36 Posted by Samimista (20703 posts) - - Show Bio

@deathpoolthet1000: Yeah! =D That's what I'm talking about! We'll take down all the chicken-wusses!

#37 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (10720 posts) - - Show Bio

@deathpoolthet1000: Yeah! =D That's what I'm talking about! We'll take down all the chicken-wusses!

Gun Kata power, take that Gunblades.

#38 Posted by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio
#39 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (10720 posts) - - Show Bio
#40 Posted by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio
#41 Edited by consolemaster001 (5550 posts) - - Show Bio

WHY MURICA WHY ????

FREEDOM ? THE CONSTITUTION ?

#42 Posted by DoomGuy (772 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725 said:

White schools are something else

What?

#43 Posted by kgb725 (6440 posts) - - Show Bio

@doomguy: It is mainly predominantly white schools that would do something like this.

#44 Posted by PowerHerc (83461 posts) - - Show Bio

The world has gone insane.

#45 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5877 posts) - - Show Bio