Sucker Punch and film critics.

Saint_of_Guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Saint_of_Guns

I, like many people, went and saw Sucker Punch this weekend. I liked it and thought it was worth the ticket price. I wasn't expecting a masterpiece, but it was good enough to at least let me enjoy the film. Then when i got home, i decided to see what critics said about it and BAM! Everyone hated it! I read some reviews that made it sound like the worst movie since Gigli. I was confused by their outrage, was the movie so unbearable that they couldn't bring themselves to at least point out the good things? Or worse, to deny the good things were there at all? I certainly didn't think so. The action was worth watching, the story was simple enough to follow to let me enjoy the visuals, the acting was decent. Yeah, it kinda strayed between two genres and the switches from reality to her imagination were... awkward. But these alone didn't ruin the movie, but rather they made it fun too talk about later, to figure it all out.

Maybe I've just never payed attention before, but i have noticed this trend with critics, where they will tear apart a movie and grossly exaggerate its flaws. But they never say a single good thing about it. Or conversely, they will praise a movie in every aspect, but fail to note the films short comings. Why is it that it's so hard to find film reviews that are balanced and nonpolarized? I know it's probably just to attract readers, to be the most venomous critic so people will pay attention, but is this really necessary? Or am I just overreacting? Or am I asking too many questions?

Baddamdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#1  Edited By Baddamdog

I don't think you're over reacting, I've been waiting to see this film for ages (in England it's coming out on the first) and all I've seen is bad reviews. But I'm still pretty sure I'm gonna like it. A whole film dedicated to butt kicking girls in a fantasy world with weapons? My kinda movie.

CosmicSpiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By CosmicSpiral

Yes, Sucker Punch was terrible. And critics are old fogeys. 

Saint_of_Guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Saint_of_Guns
@CosmicSpiral: i don't think it's fair to say it was terrible. I wasn't as polished as i would have liked, but it wasn't terrible.

@Baddamdog: It's not quite what you expect, but it's worth watching. and the fight scenes are more than worth it.
CosmicSpiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CosmicSpiral
@Saint_of_Guns said:
" @CosmicSpiral: i don't think it's fair to say it was terrible. I wasn't as polished as i would have liked, but it wasn't terrible.

@Baddamdog: It's not quite what you expect, but it's worth watching. and the fight scenes are more than worth it. "
Nah, it was terrible. Not soul-sucking terrible like a lot of critics claim. 
BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

meh.
a bunch of giggling girls in some imagination land. 
i'll pass.

Saint_of_Guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Saint_of_Guns
@CosmicSpiral: you are fully entitled to your opinion.

@BiteMe-Fanboy: i don't recall any giggling. lol
CosmicSpiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CosmicSpiral
@Saint_of_Guns: To each his own. 
Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By buttersdaman000

I said the same thing about Skyline. Great film, bashed by scumbag critics. Anybody see the tourist with Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp? Well dont, its stupid. Yet, it was praised by critics and got nominated for 3 golden globes. Ricky Gervais even made fun of the fact that such a lame movie was nominated.
Im going to see Sucker Punch, f*ck critics.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

As long as you enjoyed it that's all that matters.
Saint_of_Guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Saint_of_Guns
@buttersdaman000 said:
" I said the same thing about Skyline. Great film, bashed by scumbag critics. Anybody see the tourist with Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp? Well dont, its stupid. Yet, it was praised by critics and got nominated for 3 golden globes. Ricky Gervais even made fun of the fact that such a lame movie was nominated. Im going to see Sucker Punch, f*ck critics. "
I never saw skyline, it just never interested me. I have to agree on the tourist though. It was extremely predictable. And the chemistry between them was colder than dry ice.
realsilverjunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By realsilverjunk

Great movie Suckerpunch was. I loved every moment. Except for maybe the ending. My fav character was Rocket. 

Saint_of_Guns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Saint_of_Guns
@realsilverjunk:  yeah, i wasn't too fond of the ending either. apparently snyder had a different ending but it was left on the editing room floor. the original film was going to get a R rating, and the studio wanted PG-13. the directors cut should be different...
realsilverjunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By realsilverjunk

Looks like I'm making a purchase once it's out on blu ray! 

one_upper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By one_upper

I've been thinking the same thing lately. A lot of my favorite films that I've seen have been severely bashed, while others are severely praised. There seems to be little middle ground.
King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By King_Saturn
like I have said before... Sucker Punch was a Strange Film IMO... the Action Scenes were indeed Incredible... but the Plot of the Film was all over the place...