Stephen Hawking's Universe - or - Into the Universe with

Nasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Nasher

Has anyone else here seen  Stephen Hawking's Universe (aka I nto the Universe with  Stephen Hawking)? 

I've just caught the show for the first time and it's blown me away.. its first episode is a really wonderful examination of extraterrestrial life and doesn't stop at carbon based life forms for a change. 

Theres some sharp 'walking with dinosaurs' like visuals of alien life forms that are pretty imaginative and do in someways resemble the kind of things you got on the cover of pulpy scifi books int he 50's adn 60's.  I'm really impressed with the level of thought put into the show and is evidence of how far the Discovery channel has come that its making some quality programming thats less mass-appeal bangs and more quality and science.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By King_Saturn  Online
when did it come on TV ?
Darkseid Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Darkseid Elite

Yeah when was this, sounds interesting.
cpt_linger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By cpt_linger
@Nasher said:

"Has anyone else here seen  Stephen Hawking's Universe (aka I nto the Universe with  Stephen Hawking)?  I've just caught the show for the first time and it's blown me away.. its first episode is a really wonderful examination of extraterrestrial life and doesn't stop at carbon based life forms for a change.  Theres some sharp 'walking with dinosaurs' like visuals of alien life forms that are pretty imaginative and do in someways resemble the kind of things you got on the cover of pulpy scifi books int he 50's adn 60's.  I'm really impressed with the level of thought put into the show and is evidence of how far the Discovery channel has come that its making some quality programming thats less mass-appeal bangs and more quality and science. "

Did you see the part where they explain how small particles can get. They developed a program that basically just keeps zooming in endlessly while randomly generating visuals. They broke down atoms, protons, electroncs to the very substances they're made of. Very intriguing to watch.

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 70

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By CrimsonAvenger

I've seen it, it's actually quite good.

Nasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6  Edited By Nasher

I've only seen the first episode on Aliens so far.. and it was really neat.. they of course start with talking about where and how to find humanoid and earth like creatures and then move onto extremophiles... and then go one better and start to discuss non carbon based life forms and even life in places that seem totally impossible under the current rules we have for life right now. 

Normally these shows stop at Earth 2.. but its a step up on those shows. Also the animated aliens are well thought out and photo-realistic for the most part. 

From Wikipedia :

" I nto the Universe with Stephen Hawking   is a 2010 science   documentary television   mini-series   written by British physicist   Stephen Hawking . The series was created for   Discovery Channel   by Darlow Smithson Productions and features   computer generated imagery   of the universe created by Red Vision. The series premiered on 9 April 2010 in the United States and started on 9 May 2010 in the United Kingdom with a modified title,   Stephen Hawking's Universe   (not to be confused with   the 1997 PBS series by the same name ). "

drkhwk2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By drkhwk2001

Have seen it and have it on DVR it's really interesting. Now there is also Through the Wormhole narrated by Morgan Freeman on The Science channel that is also really good.

mikethekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mikethekiller

I love watching these shows