• 84 results
#51 Posted by thespideyguy (2650 posts) - - Show Bio

Going green is a lie invented by the liberal media.

#52 Edited by Regal_Rumble_Man (874 posts) - - Show Bio

Reach type 1 then go to type 2 on the K scale

#53 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4763 posts) - - Show Bio

The Homecoming series touches up on this theory. It's popular belief.

#54 Posted by SC (13349 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

@sc said:

but modern brains have so much more to bear and in some cases burden, can lead to anxiousness and depression, and a deeper cynicism. People have to find ways to reason or motivation (ideally both) past those barriers, and focusing on helping others can be a pretty good way.

Dude this is too true, I always look into cumulative stress and unnatural stressors etc..Very interesting. Like in the past we had to worry about a few key things...Food..Animals and shelter ..water etc.. Now we have all of that +bills+job+education+crime+being told the world will end+ a 100 other things. It is no surprise so many people suffer from depression, terrible..

Very good and yes, choice itself is a rather large and odd problem. Psychologically people can spend a lot of time attempting to reason, justify and or validate even very small choices made, even over clothing when you go to a mall and each store (dozens of different stories) have dozens of different types of just one item of clothing. Its "just" clothing but people will have both shoppers/purchase high and also buyers guilt/remorse and or start the process a few days later and this effect can be seen very directly with shopoaholics but yeah even normal people have similar symptoms.

Basically today we have a lot more potential in all extremes and that can mean extreme pressures, depression, weariness, exhaustion. Most people tend to be lucky and stay around the average middle zone, and although we do have services and means to help people, and help ourselves, more than ever before too actually, doesn't always necessarily mean things fall into place automatically.

#55 Posted by ssejllenrad (12790 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah right Hawking. Diss on humanity cause you're half robot. Boo! Boo I tells ya!

#56 Posted by russellmania77 (15808 posts) - - Show Bio

its not a question of if the world will end its a matter of when

#57 Posted by joshmightbe (24701 posts) - - Show Bio

@bruxae said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

ill be dead in less than 100 so, im not sure if i care.

This is the reason we are doomed in the first place, people dont care unless it affects them here and and now.. Fuck our kids.

To be honest I only really care up to the the point of great Grand kids, in 1,000 years those descended from me probably won't even remember my name so its hard to care what happens to them

#58 Posted by Bruxae (14008 posts) - - Show Bio

@bruxae said:

@avenging_x_bolt said:

This is the reason we are doomed in the first place, people dont care unless it affects them here and and now.. Fuck our kids.

To be honest I only really care up to the the point of great Grand kids, in 1,000 years those descended from me probably won't even remember my name so its hard to care what happens to them

I think its sad that you have to gain something (recognition in this case) to want to save a planet full of life, but ive already made my arguments so im not gonna get into it again. :)

#59 Posted by joshmightbe (24701 posts) - - Show Bio

@bruxae: To be honest, given our history, humanity might not really be worth saving. Yeah our species has done some good but realistically we've done far more harm so would it really benefit the universe to allow us life beyond our world?

#60 Edited by Bruxae (14008 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: I dont know about that, theoretically though if we could travel to other habitable planets it would most likely stop mattering how many we destroy since the numbers are basically infinite and by the time we destroy the last one - new ones will have emerged or old ones restored.

But back to the topic of earth, I do agree that humanity isnt really worth saving (although I accept its my personal opinion and likely the wrong call), but my main point was that if we say "Lets not progress because we arent worth saving" we are gonna end up staying on earth until its completely destroyed or uninhabitable wich would doom nature aswell, not just us humans, and nature is without a doubt worth saving in my opinion, the wild animals and forests are a thing of beauty.

#61 Posted by Sideslash (5918 posts) - - Show Bio

Humanity is doomed either way!!! DOOMED! >:D

*Breathes in.* DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMED!!!!!!

#62 Posted by joshmightbe (24701 posts) - - Show Bio

@bruxae: I never said we shouldn't progress, my only point with my original post was that its hard for me and most people to really care what happens to our species beyond a certain point.

#63 Edited by mrdecepticonleader (18714 posts) - - Show Bio

@bruxae: I never said we shouldn't progress, my only point with my original post was that its hard for me and most people to really care what happens to our species beyond a certain point.

And how much can we actually do for future species beyond a certain point?

#64 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (20225 posts) - - Show Bio

..still meh.

#65 Posted by joshmightbe (24701 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdecepticonleader: Its been scientifically proven that the human brain actively forces you to compartmentalize things like this. Basically as much as someone claims to care what happens to our species say 5 or 8 generations out, you're simply not mentally capable of being as concerned about them as you are the next generation.

#66 Edited by INLIFE (1600 posts) - - Show Bio

Solar Colonization: 40- 150 years

Interstellar Colonization: 40-60 After Solar

#67 Edited by mrdecepticonleader (18714 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdecepticonleader: Its been scientifically proven that the human brain actively forces you to compartmentalize things like this. Basically as much as someone claims to care what happens to our species say 5 or 8 generations out, you're simply not mentally capable of being as concerned about them as you are the next generation.

Well I can see that being the case.

#68 Edited by judasnixon (7180 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh man what is it like 99% of all the species that lived on this planet has been wiped out.......... Evolution is a cold bitch.

#69 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

Whatever happens happens. I believe humans are resourceful enough to find solutions. I also believe that we are greedy enough to not share between communities, and countries.

However, of this I am sure: Knowledge will prevail without fail.

Only the smartest will survive, and a new America will be built. A Trans-America, if you will.

I only wish I could see Trans-America.....

Wait a second. No I don't!

#70 Posted by SC (13349 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

Its more accurate to say that the brain passively and naturally causes humans to compartmentalize things like this like all things, which is important because the human brain is also quite capable of resisting this and reflecting and consideration which actively allows human brains to actually care and human brains are actually mentally capable of being concerned about future generations to ones own ability and discretion. This is both possible in an illusory sense as well as a more considered critically aware sense (ways that benefit a person psychologically, emotionally and chemically versus ways that may not benefit a person except for may intellectually - which can then provide mental, emotional, psychological benefit)

Another way to simplify the point is to tell people, individually to just try and leave things better than they found it. Thats a relatively simple and accomplishable goal, and one that present generations are already benefitting and losing from, that ratio lending itself to the positive relatively speaking.

#71 Edited by Dragonborn_CT (23792 posts) - - Show Bio

Pfft. Leave it to Avenging-X-Bolt to throw another hissy fit in a thread.

Now on topic...

#72 Posted by Xaos (607 posts) - - Show Bio

Mmmh, eventually, I think humanity can survive for another one thousand year, but I doubt civilisation as we know it can, as humanity is a very ressourceful specie.

Maybe, an asteroid crash, or a world wide nuclear war due to the lack of ressource and water are the "best" option for an human extinction.

Doesn't say that I'm enjoying the perspective.

#73 Posted by Jezer (3173 posts) - - Show Bio

@falconpuuunch said:

Why? So we can force our destructive nature onto other planets and moons?

Earth isn't the problem, it's people. The only way to save our race is to change ourselves drastically.

And the only way to do that... is to get rid of bronies.

I like that plot twist at the end lol

The funniest things take you by surprise.

#74 Edited by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20443 posts) - - Show Bio

But then the same thing would happen to the new planet. The problem isn't the planets, its us.

#75 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18714 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc said:

@joshmightbe said:

Its more accurate to say that the brain passively and naturally causes humans to compartmentalize things like this like all things, which is important because the human brain is also quite capable of resisting this and reflecting and consideration which actively allows human brains to actually care and human brains are actually mentally capable of being concerned about future generations to ones own ability and discretion. This is both possible in an illusory sense as well as a more considered critically aware sense (ways that benefit a person psychologically, emotionally and chemically versus ways that may not benefit a person except for may intellectually - which can then provide mental, emotional, psychological benefit)

Another way to simplify the point is to tell people, individually to just try and leave things better than they found it. Thats a relatively simple and accomplishable goal, and one that present generations are already benefitting and losing from, that ratio lending itself to the positive relatively speaking.

Interesting

I get what you mean.I think maybe there is a part of our brain that maybe doesn't care as much about our future generations,but then there also is,Or maybe it just depends on the individual.

I mean as I said before there is a limit to what we can actually do for later generations,because we simply wont exist then and we cant predict how the future will turn out.So there is that.

#76 Posted by King Saturn (225088 posts) - - Show Bio

He has been saying that for years now...

#77 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13624 posts) - - Show Bio

@hellmouse said:

Humanity is doomed either way!!! DOOMED! >:D

*Breathes in.* DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMED!!!!!!

#78 Posted by isaac_clarke (5479 posts) - - Show Bio

Humanity as long as it sticks to one planet is incredible vulnerable from a plethora of ways we could go poof, from things more cosmic or someone deciding to blew up a hundred nukes anywhere on the planet.

#79 Posted by CBninja (170 posts) - - Show Bio

I find it funny how people worry about what's going to happen a thousand years from now. We will barely be a footnote in that civilations books. I mean can you think of anyone important in the year 1013? Don't worry il wait. To worry about something so far away that you have no way of affecting is pretty childish. I mean there are more important things I can worry about then what my children's children's children's to the tenth power and so on are gona have to face and overcome.

#80 Posted by CharlieJade (415 posts) - - Show Bio

even more surprised to read he's 71

#81 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (12509 posts) - - Show Bio

This is based on the theory humans are powerfull and can destroy anything.

Thats is based on the theory that humans are more special that insects.

We arent more dangerous for this planet that cows and dogs.

#82 Posted by GhostofOnyx (656 posts) - - Show Bio

Pfft. Leave it to Avenging-X-Bolt to throw another hissy fit in a thread.

Now on topic...

LOL

#83 Posted by SC (13349 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdecepticonleader said:

Interesting, I get what you mean.I think maybe there is a part of our brain that maybe doesn't care as much about our future generations,but then there also is,Or maybe it just depends on the individual. I mean as I said before there is a limit to what we can actually do for later generations,because we simply wont exist then and we cant predict how the future will turn out.So there is that.

It tends to depend on the individual. I mean all individuals can have this understanding fostered though. Its not too uncommon from the same psychological effect that means that people will be more charity and donate more money when confronted with ad campaigns that focus on one starving child in a famine stricken part of Africa as opposed to a larger group. It happens without them even realizing this happens. Also applies when you have a number of natural disasters occurring in relatively short span of time, the latter disasters get less aid support because after donating money to other causes people just zone out in ways that isn't malicious or greedy or uncaring - its just hard for them to focus on the human element, its just becomes numbers to them, and usually unconsciously. One of the hardest things for a human to do is to proactively care for people and for good reasons as opposed to selfish reactionary reasons. Its pretty awesome feeling though as I am sure many at this site can attest to. Oh and also can mean having a general appreciation for humans, those of the past and future.

#84 Edited by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow -- I read over this thread twice and I still don't get what some people are saying. Those who don't care what happens outside of their own life-spans (or children's) are the reason why we have issues today but I don't focus much on them because at least most governments the world over recognize right over wrong and education to children is reflecting that. If you chuck your garbage will-nilly and don't at least attempt to recycle (despite garbage cans having different slots) then there is no point having a conversation about the state of the world with you.

Further to that, I have no idea why anyone would discount what this individual has to say. If this is what he thinks, then that is what he thinks and considering the mind which such thinking happens, I will stick with paying attention. Yes, I do think this is the media taking a comment and running with it - -I mean, if this was a report Dr. Hawkings put out for peer review, then it would be different. It doesn't take much to determine that we gotta get the hell outta Dodge if our ozone layer is gone and our resources depleted. As it stands now -- as in right now - we are far outpacing our planet's ability to sustain life. The crucial thing here is that we are aware of it (those of us who actually take in information without an agenda) and I think we will do what needs to be done to hopefully save our gorgeous plant. The technology we have now can't save it, but that's not to say we will not develop any in the future and in tandem with global efforts to curb and hopefully arrest our environmentally destructive ways, we should be okay.

All this doom and gloom is hyperbole and so is this idea humanity is a vicious, horrific species. I might instinctively want to kill off those who are defeatist and apathetic, but I won't because I have a brain that can differentiate between right and wrong but even better, a brain that has benefited and will continue to benefit from education. Hopefully the ignorant will come to appreciate the benefits.

Leave it better than how you received it. That's what people should walk away with after reading this thread.

#85 Posted by Shark_Repellent_Bat_Spray (745 posts) - - Show Bio

@avenging_x_bolt said:

This.

#86 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18714 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc said:

@mrdecepticonleader said:

Interesting, I get what you mean.I think maybe there is a part of our brain that maybe doesn't care as much about our future generations,but then there also is,Or maybe it just depends on the individual. I mean as I said before there is a limit to what we can actually do for later generations,because we simply wont exist then and we cant predict how the future will turn out.So there is that.

It tends to depend on the individual. I mean all individuals can have this understanding fostered though. Its not too uncommon from the same psychological effect that means that people will be more charity and donate more money when confronted with ad campaigns that focus on one starving child in a famine stricken part of Africa as opposed to a larger group. It happens without them even realizing this happens. Also applies when you have a number of natural disasters occurring in relatively short span of time, the latter disasters get less aid support because after donating money to other causes people just zone out in ways that isn't malicious or greedy or uncaring - its just hard for them to focus on the human element, its just becomes numbers to them, and usually unconsciously. One of the hardest things for a human to do is to proactively care for people and for good reasons as opposed to selfish reactionary reasons. Its pretty awesome feeling though as I am sure many at this site can attest to. Oh and also can mean having a general appreciation for humans, those of the past and future.

Yeah.I think also that when giving money to charities for people in other countries and their are adverts on the TV almost begging you to donate money,yet in our own countries we have poverty and those problems.We have serious inequality issues where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.So I think part of the problem is,is that people have to worry about themselves and their families and try to provide for them and many are struggling to do that.And I am sure many people would like to try and help out others,but the simple fact is they cant.

I am not saying issues in say the UK are as bad as they are say in Africa,they aren't but poverty is strife everywhere so I think if the rich and powerful actually helped out more to try and reduce poverty in our own countries.We could then focus on those other countries.But I know that's how it doesn't work,so that is why it is important we do have people out there who care about places like Africa and who do help out.

Regarding future generations,well of course it is important for people to care,and those who do and who can,are helping out.But as I said there is only so much we can do,I am not saying we shouldn't either though.I do think when talking about issues like this,it does just reflect how human we all are.And to say human isn't to say we are bad or good,just human,which is what we are.